Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Cakefool posted:

Most of our Firearms manufacturers tried their hand at building motorcycles, guess how well that turned out :v:

The Germans beat us in the end. H&K has superior quality control and actually hires mechanical engineers at reasonable salaries. Just in the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Sir Cornelius posted:

H&K has superior quality control
obligatory irony

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
How...did they get them in there? I guess I never thought of trying to load a magazine backwards...

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

Sadi posted:

I worked for FN for a senior design project for a little while. They seemed to have their poo poo together and know what they were doing. Their engineers were pretty good. Also their pay rate seemed pretty ok. Also as a recent engineering graduate, if a company came to me with a job offer like the one above I would tell them to screw off. There are so many good jobs out there right now offering a fresh out of school engineer 5-10k more than that.
FN-USA or FN Herstal? Aren't the American branches dedicated entirely to marketing and manufacture of decades-old military contracts?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Safety Dance posted:

It would run forever on literally any grade of gasoline, but people would find the distinct shape of the seat divisive.

It's not my fault it feels like sitting on dildos.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Brigdh posted:

Also it wouldn't have a key, you just turn the handle and it goes

They'd quickly gain a reputation for being laid on their side.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Godholio posted:

They'd quickly gain a reputation for being laid on their side.

I was gonna say, some people think they drive faster on two wheels than four

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

rscott posted:

I was gonna say, some people think they drive faster on two wheels than four

Four wheeled scooter?

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
If you're not going to fix your electrical gremlins, at least make sure you or someone in your group has a fire extinguisher.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Man, that blows. Early model XJ, looks like... wiring? Fuel lines melt through? Puncture the trans cooler lines and it sprayed on the exhaust?

That's exactly why I carry a fire extinguisher in my POS.

1. carry at least a 10 pounder, preferably a 10 pounder and a few 5 pounders, you'd be surprised how little a fire extinguisher does if you don't have an ideal angle to spray from.
2. if the fire is under the hood DO NOT OPEN THE HOOD! It'll flare up, you should be shooting up from underneath if possible, if you have to, punch holes in the hood with something and spray through them. It makes a mess, but it limits oxygen to the fire while you're trying to put it out.
3. Most importantly, ignition off the second you realize it's on fire. No need to keep the fuel pump running, increasing your problems.
4. extinguishers should be within easy reach of the driver and preferably passenger as well while fully belted in.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Bondematt posted:

How...did they get them in there? I guess I never thought of trying to load a magazine backwards...

They didn't. It's a very old joke, that's all.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

kastein posted:

Man, that blows. Early model XJ, looks like... wiring? Fuel lines melt through? Puncture the trans cooler lines and it sprayed on the exhaust?

1. carry at least a 10 pounder, preferably a 10 pounder and a few 5 pounders, you'd be surprised how little a fire extinguisher does if you don't have an ideal angle to spray from.
2. if the fire is under the hood DO NOT OPEN THE HOOD! It'll flare up, you should be shooting up from underneath if possible, if you have to, punch holes in the hood with something and spray through them. It makes a mess, but it limits oxygen to the fire while you're trying to put it out.
3. Most importantly, ignition off the second you realize it's on fire. No need to keep the fuel pump running, increasing your problems.
4. extinguishers should be within easy reach of the driver and preferably passenger as well while fully belted in.

'94 I think, suspected blower motor because it was always stuck on HI. So it started behind the dash.

Good fire extinguishing tips. :)

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

How do you puncture the hood in a hurry? Shotgun? :haw:

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Cakefool posted:

How do you puncture the hood in a hurry? Shotgun? :haw:

On a Jeep? Any proper trail rig should have a pickaxe and shovel attached.

(James May's Rommel-inspired BMW from the Top Gear Middle East special)

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

kastein posted:

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

kastein posted:

Better than the alternative, which is pumping coolant into the fuel passages... and better than the alternative 6.ohno, which is great for stretching head bolts from what I hear!

Ask me anything about owning a 6.0 for one night and having blown HGs.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Ozmiander posted:

Ask me anything about owning a 6.0 for one night and having blown HGs.

What interest rate did you finance it at?

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Powershift posted:

All of them.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Powershift posted:

Who cares!? What was the monthly payment?

Rujo King
Jun 28, 2007

I say old chap have you any of the good sort of catnip if you know what I mean... harrumphaarmaammhhhmm

Godholio posted:

Who cares!? What was the monthly payment?

I'm predicting that the answer will be "Yes."

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
It'll run, just extend the legs!

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
proper wheel torque: very important

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
How on earth could improper torque cause that kind of failure?

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

Tactical Bonnet posted:

How on earth could improper torque cause that kind of failure?

It probably couldn't.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
The caption I saw was about what happens when you do too much (anything) with a flat.

Poing
Jul 25, 2001

Gaze into my eyes...
The high performance brakes just ripped the wheel apart.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Poing posted:

The high performance brakes just ripped the wheel apart.

They look stock to me. :confused:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Maker Of Shoes posted:

They look stock to me. :confused:

Red = high performance.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Guys, I've played GTA. It's all cool. He'll just need a little extra room to turn.

also: in my head, I keep hearing ta da DINK da da ta da DINK da da ta da DINK da da ta da DINK da da :||

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Post Pictures of Horrible life threatening car work situations.

Guy working on a minivan in the air with a scissor jack and nothing else.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Slow is Fast posted:

Post Pictures of Horrible life threatening car work situations.

Guy working on a minivan in the air with a scissor jack and nothing else.

Facing the wrong way on a one way... Stay classy Maine, stay classy.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

sharkytm posted:

Facing the wrong way on a one way... Stay classy Maine, stay classy.

Jokes on you. Waltham Massachusetts. We're classier than that in Maine, our low incomes do that poo poo in dirt driveways.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
This morning I checked my dad's truck to see if I could find its vacuum leak.

I wonder why this side's so greasy and the other one's not?

wait a minute

well, there's the vacuum leak and the oil leak, which apparently has been spewing oil all over half of the engine compartment for at least a year.

Wait a minute, what was

no

noooooooooooooooo

Why? How? How long has he been driving it like this? How has he not noticed!?

Also, possibly related: the bump stops on the control arms are beaten to poo poo and half missing on both sides. Unrelated: the flexible steering coupler has beaten itself to poo poo and the steering is unpleasantly loose.

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Sep 8, 2012

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

This was on Reddit with no real explanation other than '6 liter super duty drive shaft' and that it's the wiring harness of the truck it was on.

http://imgur.com/a/ZfVei

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Spiffness posted:

This was on Reddit with no real explanation other than '6 liter super duty drive shaft' and that it's the wiring harness of the truck it was on.

Jonny 5 suicide gif

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

It's amazing how this thread an /r/justrolledintotheshop are pretty much 1:1 now.

Not complaining, I love all of you :allears:

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
I avoid Reddit so it's nice to see the good stuff with all the 4chan filtered out.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

Spiffness posted:

Man the best part is the whole driveshaft they pulled out of it. Fuel lines wrapped around there and everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Mr-Spain posted:

Man the best part is the whole driveshaft they pulled out of it. Fuel lines wrapped around there and everything.

I'd just like to know what the sounded and felt like as it went down.