Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Motronic posted:

I'd just like to know what the sounded and felt like as it went down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Das Volk posted:

I avoid Reddit so it's nice to see the good stuff with all the 4chan filtered out.

Just make an account an unsubscribe from everything except /r/justrolledintotheshop, etc. Makes it a much nicer place.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Radbot posted:

Just make an account an unsubscribe from everything except /r/justrolledintotheshop, etc. Makes it a much nicer place.

Or just do what I do and subscribe to the imgur RSS for it: http://imgur.com/r/Justrolledintotheshop

You only have to touch reddit if you want to see the comments for an image, which hopefully you never feel the urge to do.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Or just do what I do and subscribe to the imgur RSS for it: http://imgur.com/r/Justrolledintotheshop

One that I thought about going into the thread for was this:

How the gently caress does that happen to the inside of the tyre?

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

Memento1979 posted:

they probably hit a pothole which caused a split in the inner rubber and belts beneath the outer rubber layer, which then goitered out from the air pressure

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

:barf:

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
Goon elitism, what a joke.

Thanks for turning me onto r/justrolledintotheshop. Its like an amazing cross between this thread and 14 inch dicks life :allears:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

That poor old block...probably a 327 or earlier. :(

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Could've been a serious mechanical failure for the previous owner of my gauge cluster:

The wires driving the speedometer were apparently right up against the bulb illuminating that section of the dash.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

IOwnCalculus posted:

Could've been a serious mechanical failure for the previous owner of my gauge cluster:

The wires driving the speedometer were apparently right up against the bulb illuminating that section of the dash.

I've been going through that with my Audi's VDO cluster. Replaced a bad bulb, it works...but it flickers in and out do to bad connections...

Mike_P
Aug 4, 2006

"I dunnoooow"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQgua-uzsDQ

Bad chain tensioner? Sticky Lifter?

Nope :stare:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
I'm putting extra locktite on those little screws from now on :stonk:

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

EightBit posted:

I'm putting extra locktite on those little screws from now on :stonk:

Going one step further here! Nylon screws goddamnit!

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Is that a Mazda engine by any chance? There was a recall on Protege's due to those little screws coming out and doing exactly that.

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007
Video says it was a Maxima. I've seen the same thing happen on a 300E, it made a terrible noise, and we spent hours trying to figure it out. On the plus side, I got to use a bore scope on it.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Newer BMW diesels have "swirl flaps" that look similar, with the same problem. The most horrific story I heard was the little screws coming off and taking out the piston and valves, then the turbo and as a grand finale the cat. (Or maybe it was an ever incresing avalanche of fragments, probably that.)

They sell little machined plugs you can use to delete those particular things, as they do nothing good except improve fuel economy a little bit at idle.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

bolind posted:

Newer BMW diesels have "swirl flaps" that look similar, with the same problem. The most horrific story I heard was the little screws coming off and taking out the piston and valves, then the turbo and as a grand finale the cat. (Or maybe it was an ever incresing avalanche of fragments, probably that.)

They sell little machined plugs you can use to delete those particular things, as they do nothing good except improve fuel economy a little bit at idle.

The E46 also has something like that. The DISA valve can start rattling, and you'd better change it before the screw falls out and gets sucked into the intake....

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Poisonlizard posted:

Video says it was a Maxima. I've seen the same thing happen on a 300E, it made a terrible noise, and we spent hours trying to figure it out. On the plus side, I got to use a bore scope on it.

Xtrail motors were known for doing it too- seen a few of them down here that have had very mangled heads from intake butterfly screws

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Ferremit posted:

Xtrail motors were known for doing it too- seen a few of them down here that have had very mangled heads from intake butterfly screws

That's nice to know, that engine has a whole bunch of problems when fitted in the US market Sentra, but the X-trail wasn't sold in the US and is made in Japan - the US market cars are all made in the US including the engine so it wasn't clear whether the X-trail's engine was going to have the same problem.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

I've been going through that with my Audi's VDO cluster. Replaced a bad bulb, it works...but it flickers in and out do to bad connections...

The burned wire is actually the speedo drive - the bulb gets power from the flexible circuit board, but the heat from the bulb was burning the insulation.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

bolind posted:

The vW W8 was pretty much a mechanical failure from the start, but another similar example. You had to remove the intake manifold to do the spark plugs. If you were not expecting it and did not either hae something in position to stop it, certain bolts when loosened would fall down into the motor.
It would then make a terrible noise at start up and boom. The w8 engine wasn't exactly cheap -- vw actually had to build new ones as one offs by hand. Most dealers that did this just bought the owner a new car due to the cost involved. (22k without labor, which was more expensive than a w8 passat on the used market).

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Pennzoil.jpg

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Godholio posted:

That poor old block...probably a 327 or earlier. :(

Dammit, cannot edit by phone app.

Not a 327, its a late GM block, hence the weatherpack sensor on the oil line at the rear, and the roller cam bosses in the lifter valley. I see a fuel block off plate so I would guess Pre L31. So either way it is a 5.0L or 5.7L TBI commonly from a truck but sometimes a car.

B4Ctom1 fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Sep 9, 2012

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

How long were they still pumping oil directly to the pressure guage? I thought the oil line back there was plugged off on newer (70s-ish) blocks. Good call on the roller bosses.

Edit: VVV Aha! Thanks.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Sep 10, 2012

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Godholio posted:

How long were they still pumping oil directly to the pressure guage? I thought the oil line back there was plugged off on newer (70s-ish) blocks. Good call on the roller bosses.

This oil passage is right on the rear lifter valley dam (in green). The sensor used on later vehicles is a combined oil pressure gauge and fuel pump shutoff sensor, and is just a fuel pump shutoff sensor in other vehicles.

They either use that boss, or the boss down next to the oil filter (in green).

The boss they got rid of is marken in red here

B4Ctom1 fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Sep 9, 2012

Afterdark
Sep 27, 2006

Memento1979 posted:

Lets make a bet of the number of 'bubbles' we can find.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Afterdark posted:

Lets make a bet of the number of 'bubbles' we can find.

quality over quantity, buddy :colbert:

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
The butterfly valve in the intake looks really similar to Toyota ACIS.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acoustic_Control_Induction_System

Never heard of the screws coming loose on a Toyota though.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

kastein posted:

Whoah. I've seen any number of side bulges in my time, but this is the first time I've seen the actual tread blistering out.

For some reason I find it incredibly disturbing. Imagine driving off with a tyre like that :stonk:

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Gorilla Salad posted:

For some reason I find it incredibly disturbing. Imagine driving off with a tyre like that :stonk:

I did, went something like...

Bang bang bang BOOOOM sky road sky road ditch.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Gorilla Salad posted:

Whoah. I've seen any number of side bulges in my time, but this is the first time I've seen the actual tread blistering out.

I find it disturbing that someone actually dared get close enough to take that picture.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

I find it disturbing that someone actually dared get close enough to take that picture.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Sponge! posted:

Going one step further here! Nylon screws goddamnit!

Might want to rethink that after considering manifold vacuum and the effective area of the throttle plate at, say, 10% throttle... not sure I would trust nylon screws with those kinds of forces.

Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl

kastein posted:

SHE CAN'T TAKE ANYMORE SHE'S GONNA BLOW, CAPTAIN!!

Seriously that looks one or two PSI away from bursting and making one hell of a noise.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

kastein posted:

Might want to rethink that after considering manifold vacuum and the effective area of the throttle plate at, say, 10% throttle... not sure I would trust nylon screws with those kinds of forces.

Nylon-coated.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Landerig posted:

SHE CAN'T TAKE ANYMORE SHE'S GONNA BLOW, CAPTAIN!!

Seriously that looks one or two PSI away from bursting and making one hell of a noise.

What do you do when a tire looks like that? Cut the valve stem with a 10' lopper, or do you evacuate everyone and just shoot it?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Safety Dance posted:

What do you do when a tire looks like that? Cut the valve stem with a 10' lopper, or do you evacuate everyone and just shoot it?

Just pull the valve out of the stem, they screw in.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Shooting it seems like a much more interesting solution. Or poking at the bump with a long pointy stick.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Godholio posted:

Shooting it seems like a much more interesting solution. Or poking at the bump with a long pointy stick.

When in doubt, poke with a stick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

Well, there's your problem...

As soon as I got tension off, it slid out like the first picture. Caught me a bit by surprise, I must admit.