Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
I was looking back at some old comics in my collection and came across 52. Have I ever mentioned how much I loved the covers by J.G. Jones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

I've never seen individual issues of 52, just the trades. What are those "PLUS: The Origin of ____" things like? Little backups, or what?

And dang, those are some awesome covers.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I've never seen individual issues of 52, just the trades. What are those "PLUS: The Origin of ____" things like? Little backups, or what?

And dang, those are some awesome covers.

Yeah, one/two page bits quickly detailing who characters are, why/how they became superheroes(villains?) and stuff. Nothing big, as far as I remember.

Except that Hawkman one because it would have told us what his latest origin story was at the time. We need to be regularly updated about this, it changes all the goddamn time.

Yeti Yeti Yeti
Mar 27, 2010
DC used to have all of those origins things on their site but it doesn't look like it's there anymore. Some of them had pretty neat art.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
The Joker origin by Mark Waid was pretty good.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Madkal posted:

________ by Mark Waid was pretty good.

Here fixed that

Also does anyone have Steranko concept art for Dracula?

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
No, but poo poo, I wish I did.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

My favorite Steranko art is his work on the Nick Fury series in the 60s.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Amidst all this talk of Kirby and Steranko, I'd feel like a jerk if I didn't bring up Tom Scioli. The guy is a huge Kirby fan, and it's incredibly obvious in his art. Rather than just imitating the King's style, though, he uses it as a basis for his own ever-evolving style, and does a lot of experimentation. He's easily one of my favorite modern artists.

I tried to buy the original art of that Two-Tank-Omen page but he wants to hold onto it.

He's also an excellent visual storyteller, and a solid writer with a great sense of humor. His website has the complete American Barbarian series on it, and he's currently in the middle of Final Frontier, a very obvious and charming Fantastic Four/early Marvel tribute story. I strongly recommend checking it and his other work out.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Are those Scioli pics 3D?

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

Look how pretty that is!

That's, uh, quite the shirt there, Peter. Did you spin that one together yourself?

(Now the idea of Peter wearing red flannel is cracking me up)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Jonny Nox posted:

Are those Scioli pics 3D?

That's just how he represents Final Frontier's equivalent of the Power Cosmic, I think (though it might still work if you put on 3D shades). Check out GalactusGolememnon:

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I have a pair of red/blue 3D glasses handy and I have to say that almost every panel of the guy that you posted looks like it pops off the screen or shakes with energy while wearing them.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Lurdiak posted:

Amidst all this talk of Kirby and Steranko, I'd feel like a jerk if I didn't bring up Tom Scioli. The guy is a huge Kirby fan, and it's incredibly obvious in his art. Rather than just imitating the King's style, though, he uses it as a basis for his own ever-evolving style, and does a lot of experimentation. He's easily one of my favorite modern artists.

I tried to buy the original art of that Two-Tank-Omen page but he wants to hold onto it.

He's also an excellent visual storyteller, and a solid writer with a great sense of humor. His website has the complete American Barbarian series on it, and he's currently in the middle of Final Frontier, a very obvious and charming Fantastic Four/early Marvel tribute story. I strongly recommend checking it and his other work out.

Oh my God, an Egyptian Pharaoh-tank-God called Two-tank-omen. How did that slip by the Nextwave guys? That is loving incredible.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Jack Kirby

crosshatch
Dec 10, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

My favorite Steranko art is his work on the Nick Fury series in the 60s.

A friend of my roomie's gave him a big stack of old comics a few months back. I was digging through it a little while later and found this issue in there. I almost shat myself. Everything else in the pile was like ALF and stuff from publishers I've never heard of. Steranko didn't do the interior art, though. :(

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Jedit posted:

It's a completely different world to later Preacher, even. Dillon's givafucometer broke about 6 or 7 issues into the run.

His brother Glyn seems to be on the other side of the spectrum though:

(From the Nao of Brown)

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

bobkatt013 posted:

Jack Kirby

"Hi uh, Mr. Kirby? I was wondering if you could maybe, um, draw the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles for me? I-I brought a reference picture."
-"The 'Teenage Mutant... Ninja Turtles, huh?"
"Oh uh, yeah, I know they sound kind of weird."
-"Ha, no kid. They'd fit right in."

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

That map never fails to make me smile whenever I see it. It also always reminds me to start a band named Kanga Rat Murder Society one day.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

I miss Kangarat Murder Society. It was a fun column and I would have liked to see them continue it.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Vanderdeath posted:

That map never fails to make me smile whenever I see it. It also always reminds me to start a band named Kanga Rat Murder Society one day.

"United States of Lions" seems like it'd work much better.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Strange Fire Area can be the name of your first album.

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~
MAD-HOLE & THE SCREAMERS Live From BURIED MYSTERY CITY

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
It says a lot about that map that the lamest thing written on it is "snow wizards"

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Vanderdeath posted:

That map never fails to make me smile whenever I see it.

If you were a nerdy Lord-of-the-Rings readin' kid who drew fantasy maps and then aged them with a damp teabag and a lighter along the edges you'll be thinking 'poo poo, I coulda made a career out of it!!' :)

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Dear Jae Lee,

I love your stuff, man. But this has got to stop.

I don't know why apparently the only photo reference you own is someone in that pose looking down, but goddamn it, get some new pictures, ok? Because this is SO loving NOTICABLE it's driving me crazy.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

CapnAndy posted:

Dear Jae Lee,

How has that woman not toppled over?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Alhazred posted:

Very, very heavy gun.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Alhazred posted:

Lots of Yoga.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

SexyBlindfold posted:

It says a lot about that map that the lamest thing written on it is "snow wizards"

You take that back, Gunter!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

CapnAndy posted:

Dear Jae Lee,

I don't know why apparently the only photo reference you own is someone in that pose looking down, but goddamn it, get some new pictures, ok? Because this is SO loving NOTICABLE it's driving me crazy.

Not just the side view but he really really really loves the side angle view.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Alhazred posted:

If you can't lean back without toppling over then you might want to work on your balance issues. It's a bit of an awkward pose, but it's certainly possible.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

MarsDragon posted:

If you can't lean back without toppling over then you might want to work on your balance issues. It's a bit of an awkward pose, but it's certainly possible.

It seems like a bad idea to try and crack your back while spinning your revolver at the same time.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

I do it all the time, it feels pretty nice, and helps me improve my balance.

Mechanigma
Apr 17, 2007

ur already ded

CapnAndy posted:

That's unfair. He also draws front-on people looking down (on all of us). At least I don't live in a misty void!

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Mister Roboto posted:

Lots of Yoga.

Nonsense, look at the angle of her legs and positioning of hips and glutes in the yoga picture. Then look at the comic cover. Completely different and kinesiologically unsound.

content:

Concept art (unfortunately couldn't find the artist) of Drax vs. Thanos, probably around Thanos Imperative; I love imagery of a less-goofy and more scary-rear end Thanos.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That's not concept art, it's the cover from issue 5 of the first Annihilation.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

That cover says 4.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Rhyno posted:

That's not concept art, it's the cover from issue 5 of the first Annihilation.

Yeesh, what happened here? Did they completely repaint the picture for the cover or did they slap on some kind of ugly filter to completely remove any hint of brush strokes from the original? It's almost like looking at an SNES emulator smoothing filter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Internet Wizard posted:

That cover says 4.

Eh whatever, I'm still 99% more right than he was.