Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!

massey ferguson posted:

Speaking of GYBE-y, any opinions on the Swans album? I'm pretty impressed. Definitely one of the best post rock albums I've heard in a long time.

The world isn't ready for that album. I wasn't ready.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

chunkey posted:

Indonesian post-rock? Yes please.

This is really good and their album seems to be free on their website.

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008

Nuclear Spoon posted:

The Sirens Sound would be a lot more useful if it wasn't so loving poorly designed.

I took them off my RSS for two reasons, a) they posted way too much poo poo for me to keep up with (and I had to check aaaaall of it because it was so frequently decent), and b) their lovely bloated site kept crashing my browser. Mostly the second one. God, they must have about the highest disparity between design and content of any site.

nthing the love for Thousands of Miles, good stuff, very moody.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Blue Screen Error posted:

This is really good and their album seems to be free on their website.

Excellent catch sir. I have really been enjoying this for the last two days.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

A preview track from Hammock's upcoming new album is available on their bandcamp page.

massey ferguson
Mar 11, 2012

I just checked out afterthepostrock for the first time in a while and well thats the end of that websites forum. After the death of that and TSB what are the best sites to keep up with post-rock news now?
I may just rely on this thread from now on.

MisterFuzzles
Dec 5, 2009

We can't go back no more, but I suppose we can go wherever we please.
Well, this thread has given me quite a lot of stuff to check out so thank you.

Hope I'm not just reposting stuff but I came across Marriages somewhere in my Youtube travels. Side project of some Red Sparowes members. Put out an EP in May.

I like it, but I like a lot of things so that is not saying much. Probably my favorite 2 tracks

Ten Tiny Fingers
Body of Shade

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

massey ferguson posted:

Speaking of GYBE-y, any opinions on the Swans album?

That album was nothing like GY!BE. :colbert:

Nevertheless, it was pretty... special. Wasn't sure what to expect by reading some descriptions of the band and the album, and after a single listen, I'm still not sure what to say. Definitely a strange and intense album, but in a good way.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

MisterFuzzles posted:

Hope I'm not just reposting stuff but I came across Marriages somewhere in my Youtube travels. Side project of some Red Sparowes members. Put out an EP in May.

I like it, but I like a lot of things so that is not saying much. Probably my favorite 2 tracks

Ten Tiny Fingers
Body of Shade

Good catch, I don't think that was posted here. I hated it on the first listen but I went back and I'm warming up to it. I really like Ten Tiny Fingers.

Bagpuss
Mar 23, 2001

A little bit of solidarity goes a long way.
The Made Up Stanleys put up their first EP last month and it's fantastic. I first heard of them when they described themselves as a mixture of ASIWYFA, Fang Island and Adebisi Shank and that seems to me to be pretty drat accurate!

AccountSupervisor posted:

Just discovered an old 2007 EP from ASIWYFA that probably has some of their best tracks on it. I wish I would have known this before I saw them live, they probably would have gotten a kick out of somebody requesting this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StT8vAegrgc
Mount Kailash is the tune of theirs that I haven't seen yet that I want to see live the most.

They also had another EP out before that one that was more of a collaboration with other NI artists providing vocals(!).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QoJSm3hCVA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMy9N_KdV0g
Some great riffage at 5 minutes in.

There's some good stuff on there and definitely some glimpses of the awesomeness to come.

polynominal-c
Jan 18, 2003

Toundra - III is out now: http://toundra.bandcamp.com/album/iii

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

loving awesome, thanks. "Magreb" from II is easily one of my favourite post-rock songs ever.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Jan posted:

That album was nothing like GY!BE. :colbert:

Nevertheless, it was pretty... special. Wasn't sure what to expect by reading some descriptions of the band and the album, and after a single listen, I'm still not sure what to say. Definitely a strange and intense album, but in a good way.

Yeah I'm echoing the not sounding anything like GY!BE. The only band I've ever heard that I'll say sounds like GY!BE is Riding Alone For Thousands of Miles. Anyways, on the subject of Seer, it's a hard album to listen to. The world isn't ready for that. I wasn't ready.

Bagpuss
Mar 23, 2001

A little bit of solidarity goes a long way.
That's some good poo poo right there, bought it after hearing the first two tracks.

Bumble Bee
Dec 21, 2005

by Lowtax
Pitchfork had a wonderful line about the new Mono album today

quote:

the music doesn't develop, darken, or tell a story so much as it expands and deflates like a balloon

Sums up a lot of the mediocre "hope we land ourselves on a car advert" study music that seems to make up the genre these days.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
I have to admit, I get kind of bored with For My Parents once Dream Odyssey finishes. The last two don't feel much different from the first two, there's only so far swelling and violins can get it I guess. I hope they eventually get back to some loud stuff in the vein of COM(?) and Yearning.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

For My Parents was good on first listen, but it's not an album I foresee myself listening to over and over again like Hymn to the Immortal Wind or You Are There. While all the tracks were beautiful, none really stood out to me all that much.

Oh well, I'm still very excited about seeing them for the 3rd time next month!

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Yeah. It felt short to me, probably because the last two tracks are nice, but quite tame. I can't even remember their names even after listening to the album a dozen times now... Says a lot about them.

Legend and Dream Odyssey really stand out as the memorable tracks of the album, and even then I always get the feeling that they start with the same melody, except that Dream Odyssey progresses a bit longer on the melody. But then I'm pretty bad at spotting repetitions -- it took me years to even notice that on Dark Side of the Moon, Time ends with a reprise of Breathe. :downs:

Also, I think I realised what The Seer reminds me of. It's like Neurosis around Times of Grace, with less hardcore screaming. Which is awesome, in a way, because it makes the few lyrics on The Seer more ominous than anything Neurosis has done. I'm sure there's an ongoing metaphor on said lyrics, but my mind was too busy being simultaneously high and blown all over the place. :stare:

canis minor
May 4, 2011

I must say that this collaboration between Year of No Light & thisquietarmy is... intense. Maybe it's just me but I can't get enough of "Vous Etes Un Nada Mort Marchant Autour Du Visible" and the chimes along the slow, building guitars.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

MisterFuzzles posted:

Ten Tiny Fingers
Body of Shade

I saw them open up for Russian Circles a few weeks ago, they were excellent, especially with the drummer for RC playing with them.

If you dig them, check out Chelsea Wolfe, which you might enjoy as well if you like Marriages.

edit: Holy hell that Toundra album is drat good.

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Sep 11, 2012

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Jan posted:

Also, I think I realised what The Seer reminds me of. It's like Neurosis around Times of Grace, with less hardcore screaming. Which is awesome, in a way, because it makes the few lyrics on The Seer more ominous than anything Neurosis has done. I'm sure there's an ongoing metaphor on said lyrics, but my mind was too busy being simultaneously high and blown all over the place. :stare:

The Neurosis connection makes some sense, considering previous Swans member Jarboe (who appears for one song on The Seer) did a collaboration with Neurosis called... Neurosis & Jarboe. It's worth checking out.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

I can't believe I put off that Toundra album for two days. Go listen to it immediately.

chunkles fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Sep 12, 2012

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
I listened to it yesterday too, that opening track especially sure is something.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010
There's a new Balmorhea album out. It is very pleasant.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

For some reason music from Oz always costs more. Thankfully it's quite often worth every penny as it was with Laura. Today I bring you Tangled Thoughts of Leaving and their first album, Deaden the Fields. This is one of those albums that does everything right. They fill sparcity with really fantastic electronic elements, possibly the best post rock electronics I've seen outside of 65daysofstatic. They have the sound like some kind of freakish child of This Will Destroy You and The Samuel Jackson Five, and every bit of it works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UC2gxuvoiqA

dygbert
Dec 9, 2011

Just got around to listening to all of For My Parents and was fairly disappointed with it. It's not terrible or anything but it took me a while to embrace Mono's heavy use of orchestral strings (compared to their previous works, where it was pretty scarce) when Hymn To The Immortal Wind came out and this is that hesitation and "unsure-ness" times ten. It just felt really uninspired. I'm really starting to miss pre-Hymn To The Immortal Wind Mono but hey, there are four really awesome albums they've done where the use of orchestral strings was minimal or non-existent.

Also, I just discovered Swans through The Seer and my god, what a great loving album that is. I've only listened through the whole album twice but I keep returning to Mother of The World, The Seer and The Apostate. Definitely my personal AOTY. Was told to check out Swans Are Dead and Soundtracks For The Blind and hopefully those are as good as I thought The Seer was.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
Circa's first video off their new album is out and it's drat good if I may say so:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAvd8V6p5gI

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

an skeleton posted:

Circa's first video off their new album is out and it's drat good if I may say so:

I think you're in the wrong thread, friend.

dakara
Aug 17, 2009

I know a girl who cries when she practices violin.
'Cause each note sounds so pure, it just cuts into her, and then the melody comes pouring out her eyes.

Cymbal Monkey posted:

I think you're in the wrong thread, friend.

dygbert posted:

Just got around to listening to all of For My Parents and was fairly disappointed with it. It's not terrible or anything but it took me a while to embrace Mono's heavy use of orchestral strings (compared to their previous works, where it was pretty scarce) when Hymn To The Immortal Wind came out and this is that hesitation and "unsure-ness" times ten. It just felt really uninspired. I'm really starting to miss pre-Hymn To The Immortal Wind Mono but hey, there are four really awesome albums they've done where the use of orchestral strings was minimal or non-existent.

Also, I just discovered Swans through The Seer and my god, what a great loving album that is. I've only listened through the whole album twice but I keep returning to Mother of The World, The Seer and The Apostate. Definitely my personal AOTY. Was told to check out Swans Are Dead and Soundtracks For The Blind and hopefully those are as good as I thought The Seer was.

I didn't know there was some new Mono — after reaching nirvana listening to "Hymn..." I'll have to check it out.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Yeah, I've really listened to Mono far too much. Just saw them live tonight for the third time, and I just couldn't get into it. Where I used to feel exultant and filled by the music, I was just looking at the time waiting for the show to finish. I guess I've grown too old to enjoy shows filled with people talking, and hipsters in trucker hats nodding to the beat like bobbleheads, especially when I can get a far better experience listening to the same music at home with fancy headphones.

Oh well, far cheaper this way. :shobon:

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

an skeleton posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAvd8V6p5gI

Wow, this really gives The Seer a run for its money

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010
http://magnetoscop.bandcamp.com/

yeah this is pretty good

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

That's really awesome, and it's free, just name a price of $0. I'm really digging the piano riffs in Geranium.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Really enjoyed that whole album, thanks. Someone outside this thread recognized the Milhouse avatar as meaning I'm from this thread. It's like a gang sign, or a slightly less good custom title tag thing. Het, can we get custom title tags for being a weird insular thread dominated by a handful of people who like music that gets louder?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The gang henceforth known as Rock Posters.

MisterFuzzles
Dec 5, 2009

We can't go back no more, but I suppose we can go wherever we please.
http://gespenst.bandcamp.com/

I'm bad at trying to describe poo poo. :eng99: They say they are influenced by mono, Pg.Lost, Maybeshewill and Khorna.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

chunkey posted:

That's really awesome, and it's free, just name a price of $0. I'm really digging the piano riffs in Geranium.

As an aside, whenever something is name your price, I tend to chuck them $5 anyway.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Jan posted:

Yeah, I've really listened to Mono far too much. Just saw them live tonight for the third time, and I just couldn't get into it.

Maybe someone else who saw them live for the For My Parents release can confirm this, but I think they didn't even play the string arrangements during their concert. Either I was too far in the back to hear them in the mix, or they didn't bother recording one to play over their shows. In any event, I think that's why it was so dull -- listen to Legend, then try to imagine it without the strings.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

And it's just a little bit of Cretaceous Castle Magic
I saw them in Toronto and I recall thinking it seemed the orchestral backing was missing. I was only maybe 15 feet from the stage, and it was a small place, anyway, so I was definitely close enough to hear everything. For what it's worth, I didn't find it dull at all. My main problem with the new album is that at times it almost feels like the band is backing the orchestra rather than the other way around, so hearing the songs with the focus on the band coupled with the huge sound of their live show was kind of incredible. But this was also my first time seeing them, so I imagine I got some of that "whoa holy poo poo" first-timer thing going that would have long since worn off someone who's seen them a few more times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

I'm so far avoiding listening to the album till I see them live. A lot of people are complaining about strings being horribly over used. I for one love strings, so I'm still quite excited. Do they normally play such small gigs?