Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Network42 posted:

This could be legitimate gold or a massive retarded moneypit, I can't decide!

http://norfolk.craigslist.org/cto/3245174998.html

Read the ad over again, 325i motor, retarded moneypit.

I don't know, if you could get the price under two grand I think it'd be pretty solid. Looks to be non-VANOS, so that right there indicates that maybe they had reliability in mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

CornHolio posted:

I don't know, if you could get the price under two grand I think it'd be pretty solid. Looks to be non-VANOS, so that right there indicates that maybe they had reliability in mind.

That's a VANOS motor, it has the bulge. E36 vanos is pretty reliable anyway, and not hard at all to repair.

If you could get that for 2k and can do the clutch yourself it would be a good deal, e36s make a cheap and fun autoX car. Just bring a booster and make sure it actually starts/runs. When you get bored of it sell it for the same price.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
$10,000 for a ragged out, messed to hell with 95 civic

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/3252617299.html

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Sten Freak posted:

Oooh a stage four clutch!

:rolleyes:

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Only nearly 60 thousand beat to poo poo miles on the b18. I would be more interested in meeting the person who would buy that or even go look at it.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

quote:

very minimal body damage

Oh thank god, it's only minimal body damage! :v:

quote:

The tires and rims were bought in 2010 but I did not drive it for quite some time so they are like new.

Are these tires flat spotted? Only a $10,000 roll of the dice and you can be sure!

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Network42 posted:

So am I missing something or did they swap a 2.5i6 and M3 tranny into a 318i and then put an M3 engine cover onto the 2.5 because having an M3 tranny makes it "M POWER"?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Sten Freak posted:

Is that a timer next to the steering wheel? For living life one quarter of a mile at a time?

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

opengl128 posted:

Most blokes clutches only go to stage 3 righ? So.. I fi'gyeah ours must go to stage 4. It's sick nasty wikki'd!

Network42
Oct 23, 2002

FIRST TIME posted:

So am I missing something or did they swap a 2.5i6 and M3 tranny into a 318i and then put an M3 engine cover onto the 2.5 because having an M3 tranny makes it "M POWER"?

That's what initially interested me about the car, I thought it was an M motor glancing at the pictures. Instead it's the ~190ish HP I6 with a misleading cover. And "won't start with a jump" is always code for "severe electrical issues" to me.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

opengl128 posted:

Dude, that stage 4 clutch totaly moves his car from b to a class.

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP
My favorite part about that civic is the 10k tach where 1/4 of the entire tach is above the redline. Seems a bit optimistic to me.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

lazer_chicken posted:

My favorite part about that civic is the 10k tach where 1/4 of the entire tach is above the redline. Seems a bit optimistic to me.
That way when you money shift you know exactly how expensive it will be.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I don't know anything about aftermarket tachometers, are they specific to certain engines or do you just get one that goes up to however many thousand RPM and the tach guys just choose a certain amount to put the redline at?

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Black88GTA posted:

I bet you could get a non-DUB edition one for $15k or less. poo poo, a couple (retarded) people even sent similar vintage (IIRC) Bentley Turbo Rs to Cash for Clunkers. :gonk:

I have no problem with having rims on this car. Mostly because if anything can have rims on it, it's a Rolls Royce because gently caress poor people.

assfucker420
May 14, 2012

by T. Mascis

Network42 posted:

I hate the E36 and everyone that owns one.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

FIRST TIME posted:

The cover is a pretty common swap for idiots since the M5x/S5x use the same plastic. Notice how the stripes get mismatched after "Mpower", he reused the M50 screw covers.

Isn't even really an "M3" transmission either, it's the same ZF 5spd that got put in 328s.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

assfucker420 posted:

I hate the E36 and everyone that owns one.

They really do have a reputation of being a "that guy" car. Hell, Breaking Bad used one to complete the douchebag image of this guy in this scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GI4rwSqrEk

I really do want to like them though. Maybe I just need to stop caring so much what other people think.

:edit: E36 hoods open the wrong way. Deal breaker right there. :v:

Edmund Sparkler fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Sep 7, 2012

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

edit: whoa

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/3250800293.html

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Sep 7, 2012

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I don't know anything about aftermarket tachometers, are they specific to certain engines or do you just get one that goes up to however many thousand RPM and the tach guys just choose a certain amount to put the redline at?

It's just an overlay on top of the stock tachometer (for MAD TYTE COLORZ YO) and that particular EBay special has an extra 1k revs built into it.

They look like this -

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

gently caress me running, if that thing is at ALL solid underneath (ahaahaha :smithicide: ) that's a steal.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

CornHolio posted:

http://southbend.craigslist.org/cto/3240778504.html

Something tells me those back two TVs probably don't see a lot of use...

Oh poo poo, a PS2. Very impressive.

11BulletCatcher posted:

Is that a 5ton or a deuce and a half? Either way, worth it if you have the means for maintenance. They are slow but beastly, the mammoths of the army.

M35's are the deuce and a half, and that's an older one. But yeah, it'll run on anythingand they're really fun to drive off-road.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Not going to see another one like this:
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/3215287524.html

quote:

** ""PRICE REDUCED"" YAMAHA XS1100 / XS11 TURBO ATP 1979** - $6500 (North Seattle)

This is an incredible opportunity for someone to own one of the cleanest 1979 XS1100's I've ever seen....

The bike was bought brand new in Sanford Maine from Woodman's Cycles back in 79 where the American Turbo Pak turbo kit was installed after 1500 miles were put on the bike. ($2600 for the turbo kit back in 79 I have original paperwork on turbo). The bike had never left Sanford, and has only ever been serviced by the same man that originally built the bike. It actually just had it's most recent service by him. That type of history on a bike is almost impossible to find.
The bike only has 5378 mile on it and the overall condition of the bike is very nice I would say an 8.5 out of 10. The engine and cases do have minor pitting, rear fender has minor pitting in the chrome near seat, rear grab bar was removed early on in it's life and has been misplaced, if you look you can find small surface areas of rust on frame but paint is original and still show nice. The paint on the tank and side panels is original and perfect. The inside of the fuel tank looks brand new with no rust. The mirrors and blinkers were also removed back in the early stages of it's life (you know the saying if it has more then one mirror it's a full dresser) and were misplaced but have been replaced with factory style replacements.

Mechanically this bike is superb... It runs and sounds beautiful, shifts thru all the gears perfect (actually just installed a brand new EBC high performance clutch with Barnett springs, did this for the sole purpose of replacing the original due to it's age), tires are new, new battery, lower bars installed (have originals).

This bike is very impressive to ride and has all kinds of power, it can actually be pretty scary when the turbo spools up.
The bike was impressive right from the factory in 79' with a top speed of 133.6 mph, 0-6 in 4.7 seconds, 95hp @ 8500 RPM, and the quarter mile in 11.78 seconds.
With the turbo kit and correct tuning this bike is now capable of 175+ HP, and has the ability to embarrass newer sport bikes in the 1/4 mile. The current tuning of the bike was done with reliability in mind and is not set up for peak HP, but don't get me wrong it is still very impressive.

The bike also just had new plugs, fluids, and tune-up performed by Al Woodman the original mechanic to install the turbo on this bike. I think you would have a better chance in seeing bigfoot then to find this type of history on another 79' XS1100.

You tube video of the bike: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eo9oohVheXo

Thanks for looking

Call Kevin 206-414-6551 or EMAIL

XS1100 Special, XS11, XS1100 Turbo, Turbo, ATP, YAMAHA....

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/3259354296.html

This thing is beautiful but I'm pretty sure I can't afford the gas to drive it.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
$1,650 for an s80 isn't that bad. How hard are head gaskets on these guys assuming you do the labor yourself?

MATLAB 1988
Sep 20, 2009
Have I posted about my Subaru XT yet? Here are pictures of my Subaru XT. POST POST POST.

atomicthumbs posted:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/3259354296.html

This thing is beautiful but I'm pretty sure I can't afford the gas to drive it.

I'm a fan of the SLC, mainly because it avoids the SL tax by being a personal luxury coupe. The 280slc 5mt is the one to have, but a 350slc V8 4mt or the 500slc aluminum homologation special would be great as well. The cost of entry is low, but keep in mind it's only the down payment...

Later SLC's have a fuel injection system that is easier to service, but have a troublesome automatic climate control and other malaise era USDM ugliness. The SL and SLC are puny cars by today's standards, but weigh 3700lbs dry and 4500lbs loaded. :newlol:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Paul Boz_ posted:

$1,650 for an s80 isn't that bad. How hard are head gaskets on these guys assuming you do the labor yourself?

At least twice the pain in the rear end if it's the 2.8 turbo as opposed to the 2.9 NA. Looking at 20 as opposed to 12 hours in your own garage with no lift.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

Holy poo poo gently caress that. That thing is a highside waiting for an entrance ramp.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

Motronic posted:

At least twice the pain in the rear end if it's the 2.8 turbo as opposed to the 2.9 NA. Looking at 20 as opposed to 12 hours in your own garage with no lift.

Eh, probably not a very good flip car then..

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Paul Boz_ posted:

Depends on how the rest of it looks. Either way, you could HAVE the job done and still be at least $1500 under what it's worth if all it really needs is a head gasket.

But we all know how those kinds of things work out in reality. If they are disclosing a head gasket, it probably means his wife drive it until the motor locked up.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
Can't tell if regular gold or ironic gold

http://reading.craigslist.org/cto/3262140084.html

quote:

TOYOTA COROLLA SR5 - $2000 (READING PA)

FOR SALE OLD SCHOOL 78 TOYOTA COROLLA SR5!!!5 SPEED!!! INSPECTED!!! NOTHING WRONG WITH IT!!! ASKING $2,000...CONTACT ME @ ...

Is it wrong if I want it despite the graphics? Is it worse if I want it because of the graphics??

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Synonamess Botch posted:

Can't tell if regular gold or ironic gold

http://reading.craigslist.org/cto/3262140084.html

Is it wrong if I want it despite the graphics? Is it worse if I want it because of the graphics??
Well, that for starters, but somebody hit something with that bumper.

Also, hatch rust.

And seeing how this is in Reading, in the salt belt: check the strut towers. Last one of these I worked on I bought in 1985 for $100 from a neighbor for the motor & drivetrain. It was a race to pull them before the front end collapsed on itself like some kind of oxidation-singularity.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Sep 11, 2012

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Paul Boz_ posted:

Follow my thread. What you think would be easy turns into a nightmare.

Slamma Jamma!
May 20, 2010

There is a 1974 Opel Manta for sale near me,
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/3257793082.html
I'm very tempted to take a look, but I've emailed the seller and he sent me back this
"The panel issue started with an overheating light switch above the brake (which i disconnected). Because it was overheating, it kept blowing the fuse and the blinker and stop lights would not work afterward. This is a $2 part.

I have been using this car as a commuter and have had no issues with the engine. When the car is cold, however, and you press the gas too quickly the fuel pump can't catch up. After the vehicle warms up however, this is not an issue.

The interior is old and original so almost 40 years is obvious in the condition."
He also noted that
"The car has an 11 gallon tank and I am getting about 150 miles to a tank in stop and go traffic, so about 13-14mpg? I drove it up to Long Beach a few weeks ago, and had about 180 miles to the tank. Pretty standard"

Am I unwise to still be very enticed into buying this as a project/daily commuter?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Polymerized Cum posted:

Holy poo poo gently caress that. That thing is a highside waiting for an entrance ramp.

Haven driven one without a turbo I never said this 75hp bike is lacking power. I guess I am a girl.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Paul Boz_ posted:

There are two S80s in my local pick-and-pull right now. I was surprised to see them show up, but it turns out S80s just don't go for a whole lot in good running condition and it seems that especially with the automatic transmission issues, they're very expensive to keep running.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Factory posted:

There is a 1974 Opel Manta for sale near me,

Am I unwise to still be very enticed into buying this as a project/daily commuter?

Having owned a '73 Opel GT (which was basically a Manta in a smaller package), it will be very much more project than commuter. However, it was so much fun I can't tell you to do anything other than BUY BUY BUY.

Check for rust since Opels of that vintage practically rusted from the factory. $40k is abso-loving-lutely delusional for a 'restored' example - I dare you to find an actual-sold restored Opel Manta, Kadett, or GT of that vintage that sold for more than even half that amount. Even the cleanest restored GTs have a hard time topping $10-15k.

Expect plenty of other wiring issues like that brake switch. Bosch electrics of the time really weren't much better than Lucas, and a lot of the parts are either NLA or hard to source, or the replacements are just as poo poo as the part you took off; ignition switches, for example. A lot of GTs just get the key turned into on/off for the car, and get a separate pushbutton to actually start it.

You'll be using OpelGTSource a lot for parts since I'm pretty sure most of the parts they carry would also work on the Manta, and it looks like RockAuto also has a pretty good selection these days (they either weren't around or I wasn't aware of them when I had the GT).

Buy it and post a thread since the one Opel thread we have here gets progress every 6 months :unsmith:

Slamma Jamma!
May 20, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

Having owned a '73 Opel GT (which was basically a Manta in a smaller package), it will be very much more project than commuter. However, it was so much fun I can't tell you to do anything other than BUY BUY BUY.

Check for rust since Opels of that vintage practically rusted from the factory. $40k is abso-loving-lutely delusional for a 'restored' example - I dare you to find an actual-sold restored Opel Manta, Kadett, or GT of that vintage that sold for more than even half that amount. Even the cleanest restored GTs have a hard time topping $10-15k.

Expect plenty of other wiring issues like that brake switch. Bosch electrics of the time really weren't much better than Lucas, and a lot of the parts are either NLA or hard to source, or the replacements are just as poo poo as the part you took off; ignition switches, for example. A lot of GTs just get the key turned into on/off for the car, and get a separate pushbutton to actually start it.

You'll be using OpelGTSource a lot for parts since I'm pretty sure most of the parts they carry would also work on the Manta, and it looks like RockAuto also has a pretty good selection these days (they either weren't around or I wasn't aware of them when I had the GT).

Buy it and post a thread since the one Opel thread we have here gets progress every 6 months :unsmith:

Yeah, I knew that the 40k price was pretty silly. The owner just emailed me stating that he would go down to 2k because of his situation too... What do you mean that it would be more project than commuter? I need to get to and from university which is a ten minute trip one exit down the freeway, two days a week. Seems doable right?

assfucker420
May 14, 2012

by T. Mascis

Factory posted:

Yeah, I knew that the 40k price was pretty silly. The owner just emailed me stating that he would go down to 2k because of his situation too... What do you mean that it would be more project than commuter? I need to get to and from university which is a ten minute trip one exit down the freeway, two days a week. Seems doable right?

No. Go buy an E30 if you want a old German RWD commuter/fun car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slamma Jamma!
May 20, 2010

assfucker420 posted:

No. Go buy an E30 if you want a old German RWD commuter/fun car.

What? Why?