Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Trasson posted:

Your bit about FF4's boss music being awesome (because it is) reminds me of another thing I like about FF4's bosses.

I think I agree with this. One of the optional things that showed up in FF4A were these personal trials for each character, and most of them had a fight with a "Dark" version of a summon at the end. Kain's trial involved a solo battle with Dark Bahamut, who used Megaflare with a countdown of like 2 instead of 5, and beating him required a combination of well-timed Jumps that would leave you in the air when it landed, normal attacks to ensure you wouldn't land from a Jump at the wrong time, and occasional item healing to recover from his normals.

It wasn't like perfectly elegant, but it felt a lot more mechanically refined than most FF bosses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Artix74 posted:

:hfive: Mystic Quest is my SNES guilty pleasure. I could listen to that poo poo all day.

E: For shame that you didn't link to the Lava Dome.

Fuuuuuck I ain't even have to click that link to recall everything about that song, haha.

Valigarmanda
May 15, 2007

The frozen creature began emitting an eerie light...

Sex_Ferguson posted:

YES, I LOVE FF1 MUSIC, WHY DO YOU ASK?

Mt Gulg is my most played song on Theatrhythm. :) FF1 is my favorite for pure nostalgia reasons. Every time I hear the opening of the original Prelude I am taken back to being little and I am instantly in a happy place.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
I think Ahead on Our Way from FFV is my favorite song in the series. It just captures going on a magical adventure with your friends so well, which is what the game is really all about. Plus, whenever the characters in the game get into a jam, all it takes is this song to start playing and for them to do a goofy little spin for good times again.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Francois Kofko posted:

XIII's soundtrack is actually really good, I think, that song is just so hilariously out of place I'll remember it more than any of the rest.
Yet I still whistle it when playing XIII-2 :(

It fits really well as a World Map song which is basically what that area was as far as a modern FF goes.

Every World Map song in the series was catchy as hell

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm tempted to put Mystic Quest as the best soundtrack of the SNES FFs. Technically, it's not really an FF...but I still consider it the best.

Also, I'm playing FF6 now and god drat Gau owns. He is loving adorable and his lines are hilarious, it totally makes up for me not having a drat clue how to use him well :allears:

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Pollyanna posted:

I'm tempted to put Mystic Quest as the best soundtrack of the SNES FFs. Technically, it's not really an FF...but I still consider it the best.

Also, I'm playing FF6 now and god drat Gau owns. He is loving adorable and his lines are hilarious, it totally makes up for me not having a drat clue how to use him well :allears:

In my experiences, there are two ways of using Gau well:

1) Print out a list of enemies and enemy groups, fighting as many as possible while marking off which groups you've seen before. Upon acquiring Gau, spend some time on the veldt getting every single rage at that point, even though many have overlapping effects. Return a few times during the game, getting more and more rages, until you get bored and stop playing because you've already wasted too much time being obsessive.

2) Stray Cat, over and over. This is also a boring use of Gau, but it requires far less time on the veldt. :effort:

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Last time I played I really didn't feel like doing any of that poo poo so I just taught him magic and leveled his MP. Still didn't use him much.

Bear Sleuth
Jul 17, 2011

Have you guys heard the battle themes from Dimensions because you should hear the battle themes from Dimensions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cFQaGksuHg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaW9wJwO1_0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDsg4fHA4ZY

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

CarpiliusCoralinus posted:

Have you guys heard the battle themes from Dimensions because you should hear the battle themes from Dimensions.

:stare:

Jesus, that's some good poo poo.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.

It's like they took all the battle themes from other FF games and tried cramming them together to make it full of "nostalgia". :allears:

Bear Sleuth
Jul 17, 2011

^^^Yeah well the whole game's like that. In a good way. Like IX was but with more focus on I-VI.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I just finished FFVI and did pretty much every sidequest that's not Dragon's Den and gathering extra moves for Strago, Mog, and Gau. I have to say, World of Ruin was more enjoyable. Maybe it was the enemies becoming stronger, maybe it was the extra bosses, maybe it was the fact I was able to blow through it faster than World of Balance by blowing poo poo up with high level spells and relics that halved their MP Cost.

Shadow's story was really interesting, seeing his memories through his dreams was cool and to see that he was kind of a bastard at one point, but now reformed ninja was an interesting career swap. Gau's story is pretty sad, it almost made me feel bad for not using him at all unless necessary. I liked using Gogo and Umaro too, though that's because I genuinely like Mime in FF games and a teammate who just plain bumrushes poo poo for crazy damage has a lot of appeal to me. Collecting Espers was fun, I have to ask though, did the tradition of Odin being shafted for a better summon start in FF6? Because I felt like it started earlier, but I'm not too sure.

Anyways, Setzer's tomb for Darill was pretty creepy and made me question why in the hell such a guy is part of the team. Edgar changing his identity was honestly pretty funny and that whole orphanage thing with Terra seemed a bit... surreal. I can't imagine Terra is much older than the two leader kids who call her older sister, so them procreating to have a kid seems a bit weird. The Cultists' tower was really dumb and I'm glad I've never experienced anything as stupid as that in another Final Fantasy game. Also, Kefka still has less personality than he does in Dissidia and had an awful final dungeon that I never want to experience again. Seriously, is it so drat hard to make a final dungeon that is not boring, unintuitive, and has an awful puzzle to boot? I can't imagine it's that hard. The World of Ruin also needed more Ultros, I missed him.

I also did not like the parts of the game where you split up the group into multiple groups and I had to split my most powerful characters amongst two groups to compensate for the fact that I didn't care to level up anyone else. I'm still wondering how it took Square 12 games to realize "Oh hey, maybe everyone should collectively share exp so that way half of the cast isn't severely under leveled by end game.

Nonetheless, I enjoyed FFVI and think it's a pretty cool game aside from some annoying gameplay mechanics. The music is pretty great, the characters... will rather scattered are diverse enough to be somewhat interesting, and hell, a buttload of espers, I love summons in my Final Fantasy.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Glad to read a review of FF6 that actually acknowledges its flaws and is not overshadowed by BEST GAME EVER nostalgia.

Seriously, the final dungeon is actually pretty boring and one of the worst in the series. Too many dull brown blobby walls. Bad music, too. Which is sad, because the rest is great. :smith:

FF5 did the "revisit previous parts of worlds" better and was more creepy at times, too.

FF4 had the epic journey-to-the-center-the-planet motif. Cliche now, but new 20 years ago. That static-molten core background over crystal tiles was really neat when I was 5.

FF7 just was beautiful all around. I suspect they simply used dungeon art that they couldn't fit into the game proper, a shame, because some of the locales were REALLY nice.

FF8 was Castlevania in music and design and that's cool by default. If Ultimecia had actually been Dracula that would've made it the best FF ever made for all time.

FF9...I honestly don't remember too much about it but it had some surreal imagery at times. Wish it had better music, too.

FFX was empty and lifeless, but it sort of fit since the rest of the game was so vibrant. The muted sound also made it eerie to wander the dead city inside Sin.

FF12's was poor, though, clearly rushed. So short and nothing too special.

FF13 was just odd. Not bad, just...odd. Reminded me of Chrono Cross, lots of weird backtracking and babbling oracles.

Mister Roboto fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Sep 11, 2012

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

I want this game now.

Come out on Android already, dammit!

It's really hard to pick the FF game with my favorite music, but 4's an excellent choice. Hell, it has one of the most memorable introductions in the series with the Red Wings theme blaring over this badass knight in a flying ship thinking about all the mages he just murdered. Then throw in the Big and Final Boss tunes, the awesome Overworld themes, the loving Big Whale... That was a game that knew when to use its music.

I also think 3 had some fantastic music. Eternal Wind is without a doubt my favorite Overworld music in the series, all three pieces of the final dungeon sound fantastic, it has great boss music, plus the best airship music in the series. Of course, the DS versions and various official arrangements and unofficial remixes are all worth listening as well.

And yeah, Mystic Quest has some fantastic music as well. I unironically love the hell out of that game, even if it is incredibly simple and laughably easy. Hell, it just makes me love it more.

But then all the games have fantastic music. That's a big reason why people love the poo poo out of the rhythm game.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Sex_Ferguson posted:

I'm still wondering how it took Square 12 games to realize "Oh hey, maybe everyone should collectively share exp so that way half of the cast isn't severely under leveled by end game.
Wait, don't they auto level up a bit behind you like in FFVII?

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

VagueRant posted:

Wait, don't they auto level up a bit behind you like in FFVII?

Uhh nobody does this in FF7 (unless I'M crazy)

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Curses from all directions!
Party members collectively gain Exp in FFIV even if they're not in the group, but only if they'd been in the group previously.

If, after washing up on the shores of Mysidia, you solo Cecil to Lv.99, Kain, Rydia, Tellah, Rosa & Yang will all later rejoin the group at Lv.99 as well.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Loving Life Partner posted:

Uhh nobody does this in FF7 (unless I'M crazy)

Yeah, they do. So long as they aren't KO'd, anyone not in the active party gains... I wanna say about half the normal EXP for a fight too.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Sex_Ferguson posted:

The Theatrhythm version's pretty loving awesome too.

It's not from Theatrhythm: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9MGnYkh3bE (PSP version, I believe.)

In fact, I don't think there's any track actually original to Theatrhythm.

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS
They need to make another Tactics. Tactics was and is my favorite videogame of all time. Can't even tell you why, it just is. FFTA, A2 paled in comparison.

I'm also one of those people who prefer the original translation. "Blame yourself. Or god." was loving epic when I was like 11 :colbert:

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Another FFT in the serious tone of the original would be amazing.

I had fun with FFTA and a LOT of fun with FFTA2, but never had the feel recaptured of my first, second... third, fourth playthroughs of FFT :ninja:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Just go play Tactics Ogre.

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS

ImpAtom posted:

Just go play Tactics Ogre.

Been there, done that. If they released a new Tactics Ogre I'd be pumped too.

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP

I had fun with FFTA and a LOT of fun with FFTA2, but never had the feel recaptured of my first, second... third, fourth playthroughs of FFT :ninja:

This. A2 was a great game but why did it have the retarded frame narrative? The plot is a total throwaway because it's totally inconsequential in the end. But the game mechanics were great.

EDIT: man, we really need more FFT-style games. Are there any other good ones besides the FFT series proper and Tactics Ogre?

lazer_chicken fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Sep 11, 2012

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
I gave up on Tactics most of the way through Chapter 2 because it felt like the story was all happening elsewhere and I had to take notes to figure out what on earth was going on. I don't remember names well, especially when I have no faces or images to associate them with, so I felt like I jumped into a medieval soap opera halfway through season 2. I enjoyed A2 a lot more because I felt like I wasn't missing anything by ignoring the story. With Tactics, it seemed like a bunch of cool stuff was happening, but it was impossible to follow because the story had so many different offscreen NPCs doing stuff that you never saw, all of which were important to the plot. Also the battles are incredibly slow. I really liked the general mechanics of it all, it just didn't give me any reason to keep going.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

I also feel this way. To me the gameboy games weren't what I was looking for, and Tactics Ogre only scratched the itch a little bit.

It will probably never happen, but I will continue to wait for the day we get a real Final Fantasy Tactics sequel. FFT isn't just my favorite game Square made, it's one of my favorite games of all time that I will continue to replay for as long as I play video games.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Mister Roboto posted:

FF12's was poor, though, clearly rushed. So short and nothing too special.

I think the Pharos is the real final dungeon, kinda like how you have "real final bosses" that aren't the final boss of the game.

Of course a lot of people hate the Pharos too. Personally, I loved it.

quote:

FF13 was just odd. Not bad, just...odd. Reminded me of Chrono Cross, lots of weird backtracking and babbling oracles.

I was ready to quit FFXIII because of Orphan's Cradle. I loved Eden Under Siege but that final dungeon was just so boring.

This FFVI talk has made me kinda want to play the game though.... I've avoided it for so long but maybe I'll finally bite the bullet.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

NikkolasKing posted:

I think the Pharos is the real final dungeon, kinda like how you have "real final bosses" that aren't the final boss of the game.

Of course a lot of people hate the Pharos too. Personally, I loved it.

The Pharos is really awesome the first time you go up. There's this wonderful sense of scale throughout the whole thing.

Of course, I hate the Pharos because loving Subterra AAAAAAAAGH.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

NikkolasKing posted:

I was ready to quit FFXIII because of Orphan's Cradle.

Hope you don't plan on playing XIII-2, its last dungeon is equally boring (and frustratingly hard at random locations).

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

MrAristocrates posted:

The Pharos is really awesome the first time you go up. There's this wonderful sense of scale throughout the whole thing.

I went there once. I promptly got my rear end kicked by the first frog enemy I ran into.

Never went there again.

I'm no completionist if completion is not enjoyable. I've only tried to 100% a couple RPGs (the Xenosaga games) and I didn't even manage that.

The strongest enemy I managed to beat in FFXII was Fafnir(the giant Wyrm in Paramina Rift) and even then that took me God knows how many tries.

Dross posted:

Hope you don't plan on playing XIII-2, its last dungeon is equally boring (and frustratingly hard at random locations).

Absolutely not. I wouldn't say I hated XIII but when i was done with it, I was done with it forever.

I do change my mind a lot but I don't foresee myself playing anything at all XIII-related for quite some time.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

Absolutely not. I wouldn't say I hated XIII but when i was done with it, I was done with it forever.

I do change my mind a lot but I don't foresee myself playing anything at all XIII-related for quite some time.

I wasn't a fan of 13 by the end of it either, but 13-2 (I bought them together...) managed to win me over. I don't know how much my affinity for poo poo time travel fiction swings it, but I thought it was much better all round.

Edit: it's true about the last dungeon though, what a loving disaster.

Tempo 119 fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Sep 11, 2012

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
XIII-2 is absolutely the better game of the two. It does have some issues (some of the fragments are absolutely tedious to get, holy poo poo Academia 4XX; it's possible to overlevel by doing areas higher-level than you fairly early, or just fighting every single encounter all the time), but these issues pale in comparison to XIII's. I like it a lot, and I'm working on getting all the fragments now.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Just to offer a dissenting viewpoint: I thought 13-2 was worse in nearly every possible way, especially it's writing and balance. It's less linear than 13 but all this really means is it has 100+ fetch quests that have no compelling reason to complete outside of having higher numbers. Dungeons now branch but the branches are few and mostly inconsequential and the entire thing feels lazy from start to finish.

There are almost no new characters in its story, monster raising is more tedious than regular leveling, and half of its dungeons are palette swaps. Characters from the first game recur across the timeline so that Square didn't need to expend effort writing new ones.

A True Jar Jar Fan fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Sep 11, 2012

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

There was one shining part of XIII-2 in my opinion, and that is the Dying World. The atmosphere of that place was spot on. That was the only time when I could say I was truly enjoying the story sequence and not playing through the game out of a sense of obligation.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.

MrAristocrates posted:

Excuse me, but I'm pretty sure Yiazmat was the final dungeon. Killing it certainly felt like getting out of jail, anyway. :emo:

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Dross posted:

There was one shining part of XIII-2 in my opinion, and that is the Dying World. The atmosphere of that place was spot on.

This I agree with. I actually liked a lot of the art design towards the end. The final dungeon looked nice but was miserable to play. Loved getting stuck in a random encounter mid jump and having to redo the terrible platforming.

Also the enemies there were hard to kill and yet gave less CP than enemies halfway through the game that I could take out in literally 10 seconds.

A True Jar Jar Fan fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Sep 11, 2012

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Isn't there only like, two party members in XIII-2? Admittedly I know nothing about this Noel guy and I guess Serah was kinda cute in XIII, but I find it hard to believe they can support my interest all on their own.

I didn't like a couple of the playable characters in XIII but the best part about having a full party is that the odds are greater you will find a few others you do like to counterbalance the ones you didn't.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Yeah, it's those two, and you fill out the third member with raised monsters which have their own Crystarium but are limited to a single role, so when you Paradigm Shift you pull out a different monster (you can have only 3 available at a time, which limits your total variability in paradigms a little more than it was in XIII).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

toxicsunset posted:

They need to make another Tactics. Tactics was and is my favorite videogame of all time. Can't even tell you why, it just is. FFTA, A2 paled in comparison.

I'm also one of those people who prefer the original translation. "Blame yourself. Or god." was loving epic when I was like 11 :colbert:

It is epic, and I missed the line dearly when I first played War of the Lions, but now, having started it up again (thanks thread), I really like his new line. "Tis your birth and faith that wrong you, not I." Knowing the plot of the game, and with how well he delivers it, made it resonate much more deeply.