Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I think Labor Days is his most accessible with tracks like "Daylight", "No Regrets" and "9-5ers Anthems" as peaks of his catalog. From there I would either go back to his earlier work or check out the Fast Cars, Danger, Fire and Knives EP. His later three studio albums are consistently more ... dense. Arguably, there's less hooks. They all have great tracks, but nothing might not grab you like Labor Days. I love it all, but the beats and his flow get more thick as the albums progress in my opinion.

hatelull fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Sep 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Pretty much what hatelull said---my first exposure to Aes was the Bazooka Tooth LP, but that's aged far less well than I'd hoped (The Greatest Pac-Man Victory In History's gimmick verse is a little grating now and We're Famous is just goddamn embarrassing, thanks, El), though it still does have its high points (11:35.)

The main thing, sonically, is that his early records (up until the Daylight EP or so) are very much built on the foundation of producer Blockhead's soul- and jazz-sample beats, while afterwards (Bazooka Tooth onwards) even while Blockhead is still hanging out, the dominant sound becomes Aesop's own productions, which edge a bit closer to the drums-fall-down-the-stairs-while-apocalyptic-synths-wail thing that El-P does.

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Transistor Rhythm posted:

Where do I begin with NRBQ? I was recently reading the Yo La Tengo biography and hadn't realized they were such a big influence on that band. They're probably the only cult band that I've never even listened to and they have like 100 records.

Eh, just start with their first album from 1969. Here they cover Sun Ra:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oN0P5gF-RVU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Thanks for the recommendations, screadan and TheNintenGenius

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
Where do I start with Captain Beefheart? I just heard Sun Zoom Spark and I loved it so much I ordered the album it's on. What else should I listen to?

Pas2
Nov 25, 2002

Popcorn posted:

Where do I start with Captain Beefheart? I just heard Sun Zoom Spark and I loved it so much I ordered the album it's on. What else should I listen to?

I'm assuming you ordered the CD version that has both Clear Spot and The Spotlight Kid.

Trout Mask Replica is the essential Beefheart album for all it's strangeness, so you definitely have to check it out sooner or later.

After that, I'd get the excellent debut album Safe as Milk or one of Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller) or Doc at the Radar Station to get a feel for later day Beefheart.

After that, just fill in the blanks starting with (the original studio albums from) the era you like most with Bluejeans & Moonbeams and Unconditionally Guaranteed being the two albums you'll want to avoid.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I noticed the Swans thread and took a look but don't know where to start with them. I thought it would be better for this thread than the album thread.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
Just going chronologically with the Swans seems like the best way to go.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Moeru posted:

I noticed the Swans thread and took a look but don't know where to start with them. I thought it would be better for this thread than the album thread.

There are a few well thought out responses to this exact question in that thread.

iamathousandapples
Jul 12, 2012

Moeru posted:

Start from Soundtracks and work back. Unless you're a huge industrial fan, then go chronologically.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
Fela Kuti? He was a big influence on Remain in Light (Talking Heads) and I'm into my mad cross-rhythms.

whooping crane
Feb 12, 2012

Popcorn posted:

Fela Kuti? He was a big influence on Remain in Light (Talking Heads) and I'm into my mad cross-rhythms.

Start out with Zombie, then try Sorrow, Tears And Blood as well as Expensive poo poo.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Where do I start with David Byrne's solo career? I love pretty much every Talking Heads album but the only thing I've heard from him besides that is the St Vincent collaboration which is amazing. So which of his solo albums are worth picking up?

HateTheInternet
Dec 19, 2004

He just put the kibosh on me, do you know what the kibosh means, it's a kibosh!

Epi Lepi posted:

Where do I start with David Byrne's solo career? I love pretty much every Talking Heads album but the only thing I've heard from him besides that is the St Vincent collaboration which is amazing. So which of his solo albums are worth picking up?

Definitely get The Catherine Wheel, which is a score to a Twyla Tharp project and all the non-instrumentals wouldn't sound out of place on a Talking Heads album. Also try My Life In The Bush of Ghosts, a collaboration with Brian Eno. Other than that, I personally love Uh-Oh and Feelings. If you loved the collaboration with St. Vincent then you'll probably also like Look Into The Eyeball and Growing Backwards.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What's a good starting point for the more obscure side of early proto-metal? I know bands like Vanilla Fudge and Captain Beyond in passing, but I'm interested in seeing what else there is

Sears Poncho
Oct 8, 2011

Popcorn posted:

whooping crane posted:

Start out with Zombie, then try Sorrow, Tears And Blood as well as Expensive poo poo.

'Gentleman' and 'Water No Get Enemy' would be other good ones to start with.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Metal Loaf posted:

What's a good starting point for the more obscure side of early proto-metal? I know bands like Vanilla Fudge and Captain Beyond in passing, but I'm interested in seeing what else there is

Blue Cheer, Jerusalem, Sir Lord Baltimore, Iron Butterfly, Rotomagus, Pink Fairies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjbDzwjoQwA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yFGGXMFp0w

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
The Red Krayola?

(as a person with a warm appreciation for 60s psych but an absolute gaga boner for everything david grubbs and jim o'rourke have ever done)

quadrophrenic fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Nov 21, 2012

Pogobubba
Jan 3, 2010
Where should I start with Melvins? I have listened to and loved most of Fantomas's discography, but that is my only exposure so far.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Houdini to Bullhead to Stoner Witch. Be sure to check out their most recent run of albums starting with (A) Senile Animal, I think it's some of their best work. The Ipecac trilogy (Maggot/Bootlicker/Crybaby) is neat. Diehard Melvins fans will tell you Ozma is essential, but I don't get it, that album is boring as poo poo.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

quadrophrenic posted:

The Red Krayola?

(as a person with a warm appreciation for 60s psych but an absolute gaga boner for everything david grubbs and jim o'rourke have ever done)

Try God Bless. Expect proto post-punkery.

Funny Bunny
Aug 7, 2005
I've been wanting to get into new music for some time now and there's a couple of bands/artists I've always felt I should be more familiar with.. but am not. So where should I start with:

the Grateful Dead and Pearl Jam?

The former are a complete unknown to me, music wise. For Pearl Jam I of course know some songs and I can really appreciate Eddie Vedder's soundtrack Into the Wild. If possible, I'd prefer suggestions of separate songs from different albums and not the titles of full albums.

Also, I've listened and enjoyed Purple Rain and would like to get into Prince more, but where should I continue? Again, if possible, just some song titles.

Thanks!

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Funny Bunny posted:

Grateful Dead, Pearl Jam, and Prince

For all of these, I'd suggest listening to their earlier work and seeing if you dig the sound. There's plenty to dig through from there.

Grateful Dead
Grateful Dead: "The Golden Road" and "Cold Rain and Snow"
Workingman's Dead: "Uncle John's Band" and "Casey Jones"
American Beauty: "Friend of the Devil" and "Truckin'"

Pearl Jam
Ten: "Alive," "Evenflow," "Jeremy," and "Black"
Vs.: "Dissident," "Daughter," "Elderly Woman...," and "Indifference"
Vitalogy: "Nothingman," "Corduroy," and "Better Man"

Prince
Prince: "I Wanna Be Your Lover" and "I Feel for You"
Dirty Mind: "Dirty Mind" and "Head"
1999: "1999" and "Little Red Corvette"

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
What about the No Limit discography? I haven't heard much outside of the handful of singles their guys ever made.

ashgromnies fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Nov 25, 2012

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Where do I start for Sigur Ros?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Smoking Crow posted:

Work your way from the beginning of their catalog to the end, except start with Agaetis Byrjun because Von sucks and isn't like any of their other work after it.

Funny Bunny
Aug 7, 2005

Wyatt posted:

For all of these, I'd suggest listening to their earlier work and seeing if you dig the sound. There's plenty to dig through from there.

Grateful Dead
Grateful Dead: "The Golden Road" and "Cold Rain and Snow"
Workingman's Dead: "Uncle John's Band" and "Casey Jones"
American Beauty: "Friend of the Devil" and "Truckin'"

Pearl Jam
Ten: "Alive," "Evenflow," "Jeremy," and "Black"
Vs.: "Dissident," "Daughter," "Elderly Woman...," and "Indifference"
Vitalogy: "Nothingman," "Corduroy," and "Better Man"

Prince
Prince: "I Wanna Be Your Lover" and "I Feel for You"
Dirty Mind: "Dirty Mind" and "Head"
1999: "1999" and "Little Red Corvette"

Wow, this is a great help. Perfect start! Thanks a bunch, I'll try these songs.

Mr. Tibbs
Aug 4, 2012

They call me Mister Tibbs!

Smoking Crow posted:

I'd actually say start with Með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust. It is their most accessible album and has some of my favorite songs. From that album I'd start with:

"Inní mér syngur vitleysingur"
"Gobbledigook"

Next, I would move on to Takk, with "Hoppipolla" being my personal favorite song off the album.

If you like what you hear so far, then I think you should do what Rageaholic Monkey suggested and just go from beginning to end. Their most recent album, Valtari, was good but a lot more laid back and ethereal than either Með suð or Takk.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Funny Bunny posted:

Wow, this is a great help. Perfect start! Thanks a bunch, I'll try these songs.

From there, check out Dick's Picks 19 (Playing In the Band, Dark Star and Eyes of the World) to see if you want to get "all in" with the Dead. It's a live concert (A good one) shows off their country/folk vibe, and then the last two disks will let you know if you're into the jammin'. :420: :420: :420:

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Nov 26, 2012

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Mr. Tibbs posted:

I'd actually say start with Með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust. It is their most accessible album and has some of my favorite songs. From that album I'd start with:

"Inní mér syngur vitleysingur"
"Gobbledigook"

Next, I would move on to Takk, with "Hoppipolla" being my personal favorite song off the album.

If you like what you hear so far, then I think you should do what Rageaholic Monkey suggested and just go from beginning to end. Their most recent album, Valtari, was good but a lot more laid back and ethereal than either Með suð or Takk.

Gobbledigook is my favorite song by them, but I have a really hard time telling one Sigur Ros song from the next. I would say that album is worth getting and is definitely a good starting point. I have a hard time getting into instrumental music and since Sigur Ros is all made up language it's pretty much instrumental music. I couldn't really connect with it but Smoking Crow might not have that issue. I don't know how familiar Smoking Crow is with them to start with but just wanted him/her to be aware.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
The only album with the "Hopelandic" language is ( ), which is god damned amazing to listen to while going for a long walk on a lightly snowy morning.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

-Atom- posted:

The only album with the "Hopelandic" language is ( ), which is god damned amazing to listen to while going for a long walk on a lightly snowy morning.

Really? I thought all their songs were in Hopelandic. I don't speak their actual language either though so its obvious why I thought that.

Mr. Tibbs
Aug 4, 2012

They call me Mister Tibbs!

-Atom- posted:

According to Wikipedia, a lot of their songs are a mixture of Hopelandic and Icelandic. I think () is the only album to be exclusively in it, however.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
I think Með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust is a bad starting point because it is basically completely unrepresentative of the band's general sound.

I say start with Ágætis byrjun , as it is far and away still their greatest album and totally showcases all of the things that make the group so memorable and great. After that, move chronologically and only after you have taken everything else in, go back and listen to their debut if you want.

StrungOutFlip
Mar 17, 2009

Alright guys, lets shoot the stars...ohhh you just killed every star!
Andrew Bird?

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

StrungOutFlip posted:

Andrew Bird?

For his stuff with Bowl of Fire, go with The Swimming Hour and work your way back.

For his 100% solo stuff, start with Andrew Bird & The Mysterious Production of Eggs.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!
Where do I start with:

Bathory - He has quite an extensive discography and I hear that he started off as black metal but slowly changed to viking metal before dying.

Burzum

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Polegrinder posted:

Bathory - He has quite an extensive discography and I hear that he started off as black metal but slowly changed to viking metal before dying.

Blood Fire Death was Quorthon's last straight up black metal album, and its immediate successor, Hammerheart was the first viking metal album. You could do worse than to start with those two and work outwards.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Not so much where do I start, but where do I go?

I mostly listen to punk and industrial, but there's some metal that I like, and I'd like to hear more. Albums I've heard and liked so far:

Six Feet Under, Haunted
Obituary, World Demise
Sepultura, Beneath the Remains and some of Chaos A.D.
Fear Factory, Demanufacture
Dethklok, The Dethalbum (shut up, I know)

Based on that, any other bands I should check out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Pope Guilty posted:

Not so much where do I start, but where do I go?

I mostly listen to punk and industrial, but there's some metal that I like, and I'd like to hear more. Albums I've heard and liked so far:

Six Feet Under, Haunted
Obituary, World Demise
Sepultura, Beneath the Remains and some of Chaos A.D.
Fear Factory, Demanufacture
Dethklok, The Dethalbum (shut up, I know)

Based on that, any other bands I should check out?

Meshuggah is currently one of my favorite metal bands. What I like about them is the way they handle rhythms, lots of polyrhythms and what not. Might want to give them a listen.

I was wondering about where to start with Swing music? I know nothing about it and thought i'd give it a go.