Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
Square-Enix seems to think 'go home, wash your face' is a perfectly acceptable English translation for at least one of their games (~2:50 of the video):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6m6aKWuFMU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

RabidWeasel posted:

The only non-translations I find really enfuriating are when they put a perfectly acceptable translation as a TL note. Why the gently caress would you put a TL note instead of just using the word which you literally just said it means? :psyduck:

This was all according to keikaku

note: Keikaku means plan

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Heti
May 22, 2007

I like Video Games

But what is a Ryuketsu???

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Jimmy Colorado posted:

Outrageously off-topic, but reading this reminded me of something and I didn't want to forget: considering it's time slot, is it safe to say it's not really a kid's show? I just finished a play through of Bionic Commando, but the Japanese title is something like "The Secret Resurrection of Hitler!" For the NA release, they cleaned up all the swastikas and SS thunderbolt things (although they left in the big bad as basically... well, Hitler) and replaced them with eagles or albatrosses or whatever. I bring it up because I think the game itself could at least make for a decent DVD challenge, IF Arino could get a handle on the swinging mechanic. If not, well, he'd never get past Area 6. But despite all that, would the nazi imagery make it a non-starter as a challenge game?

Nintendo's standards for publication in western countries were absolutely rigid in the 80's and early 90's because they were terrified of any bad press. So they had people remove all kinds of things they were nervous about from games.

It's just not as big of deal in Japan so all the Nazis in Bionic Commando wouldn't even register. I've been expecting it to turn up as a challenge for some time.

As another example of Nazi's not being a big deal in Japan, here's a commercial for Famicom Wars: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2igwEcYaPE&t=39s .

One more thing about a possible Bionic Commando challenge: it would be the first episode banned in Germany!

weird vanilla
Mar 20, 2002
When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect Hungry.

zari-gani posted:

ETA3: Okay, one more thing that I also brought up in the thread a long time ago: when ShinYaguchi translated Tokimeki Memorial he translated Arino's infamous line to "I've hugged a lot of girls!" and I still feel strongly that it should've been "I've slept with a lot of girls!" Japan uses "to hug someone" the same way we use "to sleep with someone." He wasn't trying to be coy or subtle about it at all. And I've seen a lot of confusion over this line outside this thread. People going "aww that's adorable, Arino's a hug monster" or "no, he didn't mean sex, 'cause it's a kid's show." The problem with keeping a figure of speech too literal and making the audience read between the lines is a lot of people don't read between the lines. It's not about "dumbing things down" for the audience -- it's about using what the audience is more familiar with.

See, I find things like this interesting and informative, and don't mind seeing phrases like this briefly explained in translation notes. It's a neat way of learning about quirks of other cultures, which to me is partly why I am interested in watching foreign programming.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

zari-gani posted:

ETA3: Okay, one more thing that I also brought up in the thread a long time ago: when ShinYaguchi translated Tokimeki Memorial he translated Arino's infamous line to "I've hugged a lot of girls!" and I still feel strongly that it should've been "I've slept with a lot of girls!"
I mentioned this back in April; it certainly changes the tone of the little romance tip that pops onto the screen: "It's okay to hug a lot of girls!"

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

It's just not as big of deal in Japan so all the Nazis in Bionic Commando wouldn't even register. I've been expecting it to turn up as a challenge for some time.

One more thing about a possible Bionic Commando challenge: it would be the first episode banned in Germany!

I totally expected them to do it too, but then Capcom made the remake & reboot and they retconned the whole franchise in Japan as well, so the original game was pretty much swept under the rug.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

"TL Note: I am a virgin"

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Three-Phase posted:

"TL Note: I am a ~virgin~"

Jimmy Colorado
Apr 16, 2010

Heti posted:

But what is a Ryuketsu???

Clearly that's a typo.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Three-Phase posted:

"TL Note: I am a virgin"

TL Note: A virgin is a nice guy who women ignore because he's so kind and friendly and has an extensive collection of ANIMES which he subtitles. Also, he provides them with CDs of his favorite songs hand selected for each girl based on his observations that he keeps in a notebook.

Heti
May 22, 2007

I like Video Games

Now I'm even more confused.

Mobius
Sep 26, 2000
Oh my god, I did it... After being thousands and thousands of posts behind, I finally caught up in this thread. I have so much GCCX to watch now, it's amazing.

I posted a few times in the first iteration of the thread, but it bears repeating: THANK YOU to everyone involved who have put so much time and effort into this. For all the viewers of all the episodes you've done so far, I wouldn't be surprised if you've provided millions of man-hours of enjoyment for us.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Gutcruncher posted:

This was brought up in the thread before, but my "favorite" non-translation is Itadakimasu.

It gets even better when they take the "u" off.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

One more set of screencaps.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
The joke here is that the top screenshot is the correct one right?

Killgore Trout
Sep 26, 2002

Not a sham.

Pyrovile posted:

The joke here is that the top screenshot is the correct one right?

Would not surprise me.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
The joke is that they are all terribly written.

The best way to put it would be something like "You've heard how the mafia has been abducting children here?" or something like that. The bottom two are really wordy and phrase it in this hard to parse way. Like, yeah, I can understand it, but it takes a little bit of time.

Would Japanese grammar have it presented closer to what's in the subtitles?

OrochiKiyo
Sep 9, 2012
On a completely different topic, who are Mouri and Hashimoto? They're mentioned in the Project: CX Joystick intro, as well as in a Famicom game mentioned in the chronology-type corner where they were playable along with Takahashi. I'd assume they're other popular gamers from that era, but what would they be known for?

Also, I look forward to seeing the Comix Zone episode subtitled, if only to see the amusing (to me) Retro Read-Along. It's from Megaman X.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Random Stranger posted:

As another example of Nazi's not being a big deal in Japan, here's a commercial for Famicom Wars:

Ive been on a JoJos Bizzare Adventure kick recently, and in the second part there is a Nazi officer named Stroheim (Who is said to be the influence for Guile) who becomes an unwilling ally throughout the second arc. A character like Stroheim could never be written in American popular culture, him being a Nazi means he must be a cartoonishly evil at all times.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

OrochiKiyo posted:

On a completely different topic, who are Mouri and Hashimoto? They're mentioned in the Project: CX Joystick intro, as well as in a Famicom game mentioned in the chronology-type corner where they were playable along with Takahashi. I'd assume they're other popular gamers from that era, but what would they be known for?

Mouri Meijin was Takahashi's rival. See also Game King: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGjcf0SjahA

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Meme Emulator posted:

Ive been on a JoJos Bizzare Adventure kick recently, and in the second part there is a Nazi officer named Stroheim (Who is said to be the influence for Guile) who becomes an unwilling ally throughout the second arc. A character like Stroheim could never be written in American popular culture, him being a Nazi means he must be a cartoonishly evil at all times.

Please tell us more about how your manga has more character depth than any American piece of fiction could ever hope to have. What I'd like to know if how well Japanese war criminals are represented in their fiction. Why isn't there a game where I blow up Hideki Tojo's head with a rocket launcher?

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Mister Chief posted:

Please tell us more about how your manga has more character depth than any American piece of fiction could ever hope to have. What I'd like to know if how well Japanese war criminals are represented in their fiction. Why isn't there a game where I blow up Hideki Tojo's head with a rocket launcher?

Why would you do that? He might actually do it.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.
Oh my God that post almost made me feel bad for liking Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. (It is pretty cool, please disregard how terrible that post is.)

As a GCCX connection, the protagonist Joseph Joestar appears in Famicom Jump. Just so I don't feel even worse about this.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

Mister Chief posted:

I don't think he said, like, any of that. He was just stating that a Nazi in American pop culture is never an ally, even if an unwilling one. Jesus dude calm down.

Though I would like to hear more about how Japan displays their side during the War, but I imagine a lot of it is like Germany and nobody talks about what they did to China, but this probably isn't the page for that.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Mister Chief posted:

The gently caress is your problem? This is such a wierdly aggressive post, haha. Nazis have been a cartoon villian in american popular culture since, well World War 2. Theyre a convinent villian because you dont have to bother feeling sympathy for them, thats the niche that has been created for Nazis in American popular culture, the Dude Its OK To Shoot. That sterotype doesnt exist in Japanese popular culture, and it was interesting to see.

Also whats that stuff about more character depth, etc? You sound like your projecting.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

You are saying the Nazi's in American fiction are used for nothing more than cannon fodder whereas in Japanese culture they are not. By making a Nazi character more than a cackling villain they are adding depth to their character are they not? And you've taken one character in one manga to be indicative of every piece of Japanese fiction just like you've taken Wolfenstein 3D to be indicative of all American fiction featuring Nazis.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Mister Chief posted:

You are saying the Nazi's in American fiction are used for nothing more than cannon fodder whereas in Japanese culture they are not. By making a Nazi character more than a cackling villain they are adding depth to their character are they not? And you've taken one character in one manga to be indicative of every piece of Japanese fiction just like you've taken Wolfenstein 3D to be indicative of all American fiction featuring Nazis.

Ok dude, you got me.

To everyone who wants to jump in on this convo: Lets not derail the thread about the merits of a comic where muscley men in ridiculous outfits punch each other, or the portrayal of Nazis in American culture, or whatever else.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

That Jojo's Bizarre Adventure game for PS2 they showed in the Capcom episode looked really, really bad. But mostly because whoever was playing it used the same attack over and over.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

zari-gani posted:

That Jojo's Bizarre Adventure game for PS2 they showed in the Capcom episode looked really, really bad. But mostly because whoever was playing it used the same attack over and over.

Some of my fighting game friends really like it, some characters essentially have a projection that they can move around independently on the battlefield which can make for some interesting dynamics.

Of course its broken as hell, to the point that one character has to be banned because he has infinite combos.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

Meme Emulator posted:

Some of my fighting game friends really like it, some characters essentially have a projection that they can move around independently on the battlefield which can make for some interesting dynamics.

Of course its broken as hell, to the point that one character has to be banned because he has infinite combos.

You're talking about the PS1/Dreamcast Fighter because I know you're talking about Pet Shop. gently caress PET SHOP.

zari-gani's talking about This one (links to the cover) which covers the fifth Part of the Manga, Vento Aureo (Yes, Araki named Part 5 Golden Wind like that). On a related note to that, there's actually a thread here on SA for the HD Re-release of the JJBA fighting game.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Volfogg posted:

You're talking about the PS1/Dreamcast Fighter because I know you're talking about Pet Shop. gently caress PET SHOP.

zari-gani's talking about This one (links to the cover) which covers the fifth Part of the Manga, Vento Aureo (Yes, Araki named Part 5 Golden Wind like that). On a related note to that, there's actually a thread here on SA for the HD Re-release of the JJBA fighting game.

Well Vento Aureo took place in Italy, so it makes sense that it has an italian name. Its better than Part 4's name (ダイヤモンドは砕けない) being translated as Diamond Is Not Crash.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Corridor posted:

So I've been reading The Hunchback of Notre Dame and oh god I'm like 200 pages in, and maybe 50 pages worth of stuff has happened. The rest is Victor Hugo raving on about his enormous boner for achitecture.

Anyway, I bring it up because this edition's translation reminds me of TV Nihon. On like every page there's something that has been left in the original French, with the English translation after it in brackets. I'm not even talking about names and titles and mottos and quotes, I mean just regular terms and concepts. Sometimes they don't even bother translating it and just leave that poo poo there IN FRENCH so you have to guess. It's so annoying. Just write the goddamn translation into the narrative and stop jarring me out of the loving story. I know that there's not always a 100% exact English equivalent, but god loving dammit if you really cannot incorporate the intended meaning into English somehow, then your deplorable lack of imagination and inituation should be keeping you the hell out of fiction. The entire thing just smacks of "Hey guys I'm way the gently caress more learned than you, and no one could possibly experience the PURITY of Hugo's intended meaning without seeing the phrase written here in a language you can't read because if you could you wouldn't be reading the loving English translation".

I appreciate ZG's efforts a LOT more now. I don't really watch a lot of anime so I haven't seen many dreadful fansubs, and didn't really 'get' all the rage at TVN. But apparently classical literature/language professors are like the weeaboos of academia. Jerks.

Wow, I guess I always missed this since I natively speak French, but I've never seen a French-to-English (or English-to-French) translation that was that bad.

Shady3011
Oct 21, 2008

zari-gani posted:

It was probably Arino.

lets be best friends okay
Jun 1, 2000

okay

zari-gani posted:

It must have been sort of popular at least in Japan, one character has a super move where he stops time and drops a steamroller on the opponent. Apparently it was sort of a Nico Nico meme for a while: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwdSlFMZoOg&t=260s

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Daikoku posted:

It must have been sort of popular at least in Japan, one character has a super move where he stops time and drops a steamroller on the opponent.

Wrong game, that's the 2D fighter and yes people are still playing it

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
9/20/2012
Episode #147
River Fishing Nurishi 2 (Google Translate)

Can someone check the FujiTV homepage and verify the title. Google translate was no good. I do know that it is a Super Famicom gaame. I wonder how a fishing game will do as a challenge.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

joek0 posted:

9/20/2012
Episode #147
This, maybe? (I didn't see it on FujiTV's GCCX page.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

joek0 posted:

9/20/2012
Episode #147

Can someone check the FujiTV homepage and verify the title. Google translate was no good. I do know that it is a Super Famicom gaame. I wonder how a fishing game will do as a challenge.

Kawa no Nushi Tsuri 2? I believe that's a legend of the river king game.