Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

meatpimp posted:

This looks like a door edge. If it is, the way to deal with it is to stop hitting your door into things. And touch up.

It's not the edge of the door, it's the edge of the door frame, which is what makes it weird. I don't know how that chip could have been made because the door can't physically hit that spot, and it'd be really hard for someone else's door to hit that exact spot either since it's pretty much in the gap.

Pardon my lovely MS Paint skills, but this is the location of that chip:

Either way, I've never used touch up paint before. I don't know the first thing about using it in a way that won't look like poo poo and be immediately obvious. I'm a complete idiot when it comes to anything car related.

I still don't understand what to do about the scratch, besides a magic eraser possibly being bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Regarding the Zamboni paint you can often order a more "work oriented" paint like Endura. That will definitely hold up to abuse; car paint might not.

Even with a more industrial paint job, prep is everything. I've seen a lot of cars sprayed with Endura start to develop rust bubbles within weeks because the hack who did the job was apparently overpaid and undermurdered.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Regarding the Zamboni paint you can often order a more "work oriented" paint like Endura. That will definitely hold up to abuse; car paint might not.

Even with a more industrial paint job, prep is everything. I've seen a lot of cars sprayed with Endura start to develop rust bubbles within weeks because the hack who did the job was apparently overpaid and undermurdered.

It probably was piss poor prep and paint. There is over-spray all over the place. I admit it must not be the easiest thing to paint with all the weird angles and small parts but drat.. a week and rust already. Hopefully the shop will come and fix up their work.

Colonel Taint
Mar 14, 2004

I bought a car a few weeks ago with a set of enkei lusso (black w/machined lip) rims. The black holds up pretty good, but the machined lip is starting to get a bit dull. What might be the best way of polishing this up? I bought a $10 polishing set for my dremel at walmart, but I figured I'd check here first before going hog wild on it and potentially loving it all up.

I know there are different tools/methods to use for wheels with/without clearcoat but I really can't find much info about these wheels.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

SintaxError posted:

I bought a car a few weeks ago with a set of enkei lusso (black w/machined lip) rims. The black holds up pretty good, but the machined lip is starting to get a bit dull. What might be the best way of polishing this up? I bought a $10 polishing set for my dremel at walmart, but I figured I'd check here first before going hog wild on it and potentially loving it all up.

I know there are different tools/methods to use for wheels with/without clearcoat but I really can't find much info about these wheels.

Be careful, those wheels probably have a clearcoat. If you use a dremel with metal polishing stuffs, you'll trash the finish.

General rule of thumb is to use the least abrasive product possible to get the result you're looking for. Try a basic cleaner/wax first and see if that makes a difference. If it does, then you're set. If not, take a closer look to see "how" the finish is getting dull, is it scratches, build-up or a hazing of the clearcoat? Each of those have a different method to rectify the issue.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Frozen-Solid posted:

Other than those, the only issue I've been having is that the rear end of my car gets exceptionally dirty. I haven't been able to wash it lately, because of the drought and water use restrictions, so here it is after a few weeks:

As you can see, the side and front don't look that bad. They're obviously dirty, but not an eyesore. The back, though, is disgusting. Every time I clean it, the first thing that gets dirty is the hatch. Is this just something that hatches do, or maybe some kind of weird "design flaw" in the Sonic itself that it collects dirt that way?

I'm just wondering if there's an easy way to prevent it from getting dirty like that. Mud flaps on the back tires or something?

California Duster? I use it fairly frequently, but I'd probably be breaking it out daily if I was under water restrictions.

On the subject of touchup paint, I too wouldn't mind a "how to" myself...I've never done it and I've got a dime sized piece that flakes off my hood that's morphed into almost quarter sized. And it hasn't rusted...yet. But I'm playing with fire neglecting it.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
How is it recommended to clean and take care of a soft top with a plastic window? I have a 95 miata and car wash and water dont seem to be doing it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

If you are under water restrictions, I would give one of the rinseless car washes a try.

Pro lines have had them for years and I know Optimum No Rinse has been pretty popular. Meguiars now sells a line that's available at pretty much every Target and auto parts store, Ultimate Wash and Wax Anywhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b51DHV0-hDY

Hatches get dirty in the rear by their nature. When you drive, it creates low pressure area behind the car which sucks up dirt and grime.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Aug 11, 2012

Froderick
Aug 15, 2007

You don't box in a vet.
I'm picking up a 2001 Outback tomorrow and the clear coat on the hood and the fenders is sort of pinching up. It's hard to explain, it looks like a bunch of 1/2" cracks but they are raised. I'm not looking to get it perfect but I do want it at least smooth.

Trying to get an idea of what I'll need to smooth it out, and I'm a complete idiot when it comes to maintaining or fixing paint.

norton I
May 1, 2008

His Imperial Majesty Emperor Norton I

Emperor of these United States

Protector of Mexico
I have an interior question.

I drive a Honda Fit, and some of the black interior plastic is all scratched up, from clumsily loading furniture and stuff in and out during a move.

The interior in the hatch area is cheap, slightly textured plastic. If I wanted to clean this up, what approach should be taken? Is there a color-matching compound that can be used to fill it in, or should I attempt to smooth things out with sanding?

All the damage is in the back, where it isn't visible, but if there's an easy way to fix scratches, I'd like to try.

TheFrailNinja
Jun 28, 2008
CAN'T SEE SCHOOL BUS, INSISTS HE'S AN EXCELLENT DRIVER

GET OFF THE ROAD SON

APPARENTLY SUCKS AT POSTING TOO
I was looking up how to clean wheels and tires and I found this:

http://www.autogeek.net/wheelstires.html

I have steel wheels that I painted enamel black. I just scrub them with a scrubby and regular car wash and they clean up nice, but I can never keep my tires clean. On the page I linked, it says that tire shine sprays can accumulate and turn brown. My tires have some brown crud accumulating on the innermost part of the tire, I assume that's tire shine crud? I spray them down every time I wash it. And is regular tire shine actually bad for tires like that page says? Since I got these tires (about a year ago), at least one or two of them has has some brownish ring around it (different from the other one), like the rubber is a different color. What the hell? Should I scrub it? Finally, how do I keep the white letters clean? I feel like every time I scrub them down, I am just taking off rubber and road poo poo and depositing it on the white letters, not to mention wearing out my scrubbies in a hurry, as they get all full of black poo poo.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

TheFrailNinja posted:

I was looking up how to clean wheels and tires and I found this:

http://www.autogeek.net/wheelstires.html

I have steel wheels that I painted enamel black. I just scrub them with a scrubby and regular car wash and they clean up nice, but I can never keep my tires clean. On the page I linked, it says that tire shine sprays can accumulate and turn brown. My tires have some brown crud accumulating on the innermost part of the tire, I assume that's tire shine crud? I spray them down every time I wash it. And is regular tire shine actually bad for tires like that page says? Since I got these tires (about a year ago), at least one or two of them has has some brownish ring around it (different from the other one), like the rubber is a different color. What the hell? Should I scrub it? Finally, how do I keep the white letters clean? I feel like every time I scrub them down, I am just taking off rubber and road poo poo and depositing it on the white letters, not to mention wearing out my scrubbies in a hurry, as they get all full of black poo poo.

Yeah I used to use cheap tire dressing from parts stores and noticed my tires turning brown when it wore off. I've been using Optimum Opti-bond for a while now and when it wears off they just look like non-dressed tires, no more browning.

I bought a gallon of Opti-bond and dilute it 1:1 with water because its very thick water based gel, its a bit easier to apply once diluted. So it's basically $35 for 2 gallons of tire dressing.

Avoid this dressing if you want your tires to look shiny/glossy. When this dressing dries it just makes your tires look brand new, it doesn't make them look shiny and dressed. They just look like brand new tires, which is what I like.

Brain Issues fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Aug 23, 2012

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

SintaxError posted:

Jack up whichever end of the car are the drive wheels, put it on stands, and then let somebody sit in the drivers seat with it in gear while you have you 1000 grit or whatever to polish it... Really I probably wouldn't do this, but it would make things a lot faster I'd bet. Besides needing 2 people or course.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Is there anything special that needs to be done when washing micro fiber towels? Can I just wash them with regular detergent?

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

Glad somebody found this thread and bumped it to the top. I was on vacation for 2 weeks and in that time a tree above my car decided for the first time ever to grow lots of berries and drop them all on my car. The juice dried and got baked on by the sun and has formed some sort of super-resilient substance that has refused to yield to anything I've tried so far. I tried normal car wash, high-pressure rinse all the way up to point-blank range, scrubbing with microfiber cloths, vinegar, automotive Goo Gone, none of it's worked. Would a clay bar even do anything against this?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

fknlo posted:

Is there anything special that needs to be done when washing micro fiber towels? Can I just wash them with regular detergent?
You can buy specific stuff that isn't expensive. I have a Chemical Guys one.

chutwig posted:

Would a clay bar even do anything against this?

Absolutely, but it might take a little while.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

fknlo posted:

You can use normal detergent, the simpler the better. Also if you use the dryer, do NOT use fabric softener. Also use low heat.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Claybar would probably work but what I would try is soaking a towel in goo-gone and then letting the towel sit against the paint for a few hours.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

As much as I enjoy cleaning and detailing my car, I think for something like that, I would call in the pros.

I would be afraid of doing more harm than good trying to get those stains out.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

chutwig posted:

Glad somebody found this thread and bumped it to the top. I was on vacation for 2 weeks and in that time a tree above my car decided for the first time ever to grow lots of berries and drop them all on my car. The juice dried and got baked on by the sun and has formed some sort of super-resilient substance that has refused to yield to anything I've tried so far. I tried normal car wash, high-pressure rinse all the way up to point-blank range, scrubbing with microfiber cloths, vinegar, automotive Goo Gone, none of it's worked. Would a clay bar even do anything against this?

Clay bar would help. However, you may want to try just letting water run over the hood for a while. I had one hell of a time with some tree sap that simply refused to come off, except when soaked in water, then it wiped right off. It was the weirdest thing.

Re: Microfiber towel washing -- standard laundering procedures, unless you get "crap" in the towel. I've had innumerable microfibers destroyed by wood chips/leaf particles, etc... once that stuff gets in the microfiber, its life is over and it goes to the rag bin.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

I spent about 20 minutes scrubbing at several spots with a clay bar and managed to get about half of a single spot to come out a bit. gently caress it.

What are my options? Get the car repainted? Is it even possible to get a repaint job done that won't be terrible and will match the OEM color at all?

GTi_guy
Oct 21, 2003

avas ye, matey

chutwig posted:

I spent about 20 minutes scrubbing at several spots with a clay bar and managed to get about half of a single spot to come out a bit. gently caress it.

What are my options? Get the car repainted? Is it even possible to get a repaint job done that won't be terrible and will match the OEM color at all?

Try cleaning starting by washing with Dawn. After that, try again with the claybar, mild hand polish and re-wax. If that doesn't work find a local detailer who will take the time to clean it properly. A repaint shouldn't be necessary for that kind of surface damage as it shouldn't have etched into the clear coat.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I doubt that needs paint, it just needs a pro. Your main concern is staining of the clearcoat, not getting it off.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

Yes, you're right. I'll look for a local detailer in North Jersey tomorrow and see when I can get them to assess how hard it'll be to fix and how many thousands of my dollars it's going to take.

Stultus
Jul 22, 2007

I took berry juice off of my girlfriends car not too long ago with a tar and bug remover soap inside of my power washer, as well as clay. But cleaning that up shouldn't take thousands of dollars, so rest easy. The GTI doesn't have a super soft clear coat either, so if there is etching I don't expect it to be awful

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

MrChips posted:

Does anyone have a good method to remove dirty tire dressing? When I got my car back from the body shop in November, they put shiny tire dressing on my summer tires when they detailed the car. After being stored for a few months, the tires are all dull and brown, having picked up every last bit of dirt and dust in the air. I tried scrubbing the sidewalls with dish soap and a firm bristle brush, but it didn't make much of a difference.

I'm not a fan of how the tires looked with that stuff on them, so I'm not going to be renewing it, if that makes a difference.

Quoting myself from a while ago, but I was able to solve my problem of brown tires. After each wash, I sprayed them down with Meguiars Hot Tire Shine. Took probably half a dozen treatments, but my tires are a nice, deep black now (and not that sticky, wet-looking shine you see either).

letgomyAgo
Aug 6, 2012

chutwig posted:

Contrary to popular opinion, that clear may be hosed if it roasted in the sun for 2 weeks. Nasty purple/brown berry juice, especially if it was a particularly acidic berry could have stained the hell out of it. Not an overly likely scenario, but I've seen it happen more then once with a foreign substance sitting on clear for a length of time.

I'd try having it wet sanded and buffed by a pro.

Oh, and yes it's 100% possible to have a respray meet, and usually exceed OEM paint quality. Color match is also more or less exact if you have a body shop or reputable painter do the work.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's amazing what a pro can do with a rotary buffer (not random orbit). There's just risk of paint harm if those tools are used by inexperienced hands.

I'm betting a good detail shop will have you looking good as new for a few hundred bucks.

Mineral Spirits will also not harm a water based clearcoat, so you may want to give that a try on a spot.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Sep 12, 2012

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Sorry for not responding sooner about the berries, I have a new big boy job now. :v:

Anyways; what you have tried is all well and good. If you managed to get a bit off with clay congratulations! Your clear coat is savable.

Here is more than likely what will need to be done:

1) Clay that poo poo out of it.
2a) Try Megs 105/205 with a 7424xp and some nice yellow pads, this will more than likely remove 99% of the stains.
2b) If that doesn't work, a light wetsand with 3000 - 4000grit sandpaper and THEN the 105/205 will get rid of them for sure.

After that, wax to a nice shine and enjoy.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

No way a claybar helps with that. Did you try Goo Gone yet?

edit: Oh.. poo poo. Yeah you're gonna need to talk to someone with some power tools. I couldn't trust myself to sandpaper my own car.

Longpig Bard fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Sep 12, 2012

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Bumming Your Scene posted:

edit: Oh.. poo poo. Yeah you're gonna need to talk to someone with some power tools. I couldn't trust myself to sandpaper my own car.

Same. After watching the dudes that opti coated my car polish it I know I could handle doing that but sanding is a completely different story.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

I took it up to a professional detailer in Norwood and the first words out of his mouth when he saw it were "ohhhhhh shiiiiiiit". Then the other two employees came out and also both said "ohhhhhhh shiiiiiiiit". That's good, right?

Anyway, they experimented with a few things and the rotary buffer actually succeeded in removing the spots, though the clearcoat appears to be slightly etched. I'm taking it back on Tuesday to leave it with them for a full workover.

They were all amazed by how much crap there was on the hood, and indicated that none of them had ever seen any tree sap or berry juice or whatever it is that was as tenacious as this stuff.

GTi_guy
Oct 21, 2003

avas ye, matey
Wheel wells. How the gently caress can I clean 21 years of road poo poo out of the wheel wells?

It's never seen winter, so it's just really lovely greasy grimey crud. I have tried with degreaser, dawn, scrub brushes and barely made a dent in it. Is it just time for a whole bunch of elbow grease and patience this winter when she's stored, or is there a better way?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

GTi_guy posted:

Wheel wells. How the gently caress can I clean 21 years of road poo poo out of the wheel wells?

It's never seen winter, so it's just really lovely greasy grimey crud. I have tried with degreaser, dawn, scrub brushes and barely made a dent in it. Is it just time for a whole bunch of elbow grease and patience this winter when she's stored, or is there a better way?
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/39864-review-carpro-tar-x.html
and a pressure washer.

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001
If any of you guys wants to pick up a DA polisher - Amazon has the 25 foot cord Griot's Garage 6" for $96 right now. They also had the 10 foot cord version for $80, but it appears to be sold out.

I couldn't resist since the only machine I have is a PC7336 from several years ago.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Scott808 posted:

If any of you guys wants to pick up a DA polisher - Amazon has the 25 foot cord Griot's Garage 6" for $96 right now. They also had the 10 foot cord version for $80, but it appears to be sold out.

I couldn't resist since the only machine I have is a PC7336 from several years ago.

You're going to love the Griot's. I recommend getting a 5" backing plate and 5.5" pads if you don't already have them.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Is it a bad thing that I want to change the thread title to Detailing Thread: It's a foam party! ?

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
So I've got a '94 BMW 540 with original paint that needs some love. What kind of pads and product should I be looking at to go with a 7424XP? I'm pretty sure it's single stage paint, if that matters, and it just has some swirls and is a little hazy in some spots, no cracking or anything like that.

Also, any recommendations for a good wax that doesn't cost a ton?

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
I have some hard water spots on a black car. Washing them and gently buffing did not get them out. They're not noticeable until you get within 2'. Please tell me there's an option other than 'put your elbow into it'..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Lowclock posted:

So I've got a '94 BMW 540 with original paint that needs some love. What kind of pads and product should I be looking at to go with a 7424XP? I'm pretty sure it's single stage paint, if that matters, and it just has some swirls and is a little hazy in some spots, no cracking or anything like that.

Also, any recommendations for a good wax that doesn't cost a ton?
Lake country 5.5" CCS pads. http://www.autogeek.net/lake-country-ccs-pack1.html 3 orange, 3 white.

Good cheap wax: Poorboy's Natty's Red http://www.autogeek.net/poorboys-nattys-red-wax.html

Make sure you get a 5" backing plate and not a 6" when you buy your PC7424xp

Viggen posted:

I have some hard water spots on a black car. Washing them and gently buffing did not get them out. They're not noticeable until you get within 2'. Please tell me there's an option other than 'put your elbow into it'..

What do you mean by "gently buffing"? What did you use?

Try clay bar. If that doesn't work try going to a parts store and getting some Meguiar's 205 and buffing it by hand with an applicator pad if you don't own a buffer.

Brain Issues fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Sep 26, 2012