Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Oh crap this could get ugly fast if that's true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Apparently RPGs were used against the American embassy in Benghazi by the extremist group Ansar Alsharia.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Brown Moses posted:

Apparently RPGs were used against the American embassy in Benghazi by the extremist group Ansar Alsharia.

Holy poo poo thats not good at all. :stare:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I'm sure attacks on the embassies taking place today is a pure coincidence, right?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Apparently it's the consulate in Libya, not the embassy.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
That's the group that was blowing up Sufi shrines, IIRC.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
http://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsContent/2/9/52597/World/International/Mob-sets-fire-to-US-consulate-in-Benghazi-witness.aspx

AFP is now reporting the consulate is on fire and it's because of that dastardly US made film that nobody knows about.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

And they say there's no such thing as bad publicity...

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH
The Homsi cat that was critically injured by an Assadi shell is now doing well after revolutionaries operated on him.

az jan jananam fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Sep 12, 2012

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

J33uk posted:

http://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsContent/2/9/52597/World/International/Mob-sets-fire-to-US-consulate-in-Benghazi-witness.aspx

AFP is now reporting the consulate is on fire and it's because of that dastardly US made film that nobody knows about.

According to an update to an article on Yahoo!:

AP posted:

The protest was sparked by outrage over a video being promoted by an extreme anti-Muslim Egyptian Christian campaigner in the United States. A 14-minute trailer of the movie, posted on the social website YouTube in an original English version and another dubbed into Egyptian Arabic, depicts Muhammad as a fraud, a womanizer and a madman in an overtly ridiculing way, showing him having sex and calling for massacres.

It's not clear to me if the individual is just traveling to the US or is now a resident here or what. But it seems strange to me that the anger would be directed at a US embassy.

edit: VVV Article mentions Terry Jones, however, it specifically says an "extreme anti-Muslim Egyptian Christian" ...Mr. Jones is only 3 out of those 4 things. Anyone got a YouTube Link to the video?

Winkle-Daddy fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Sep 12, 2012

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

It just boggles the mind that because Terry loving Jones makes some low-budget that nobody has heard of because only crazies pay attention to him, it actually incited riots.

Terry should go over there himself and deal with the violent uproar, but that would put him in danger. gently caress that, let's just put the people already over there in harm's way!

gently caress Terry Jones.

edit: And I fully realize that it's just how it is, especially after the Dutch comic strip deal, but it annoys me to no end that this rear end in a top hat in Florida is doing this on purpose and will probably feel none of the retaliation personally.

shyduck fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Sep 12, 2012

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2012/09/20129112108737726.html

Apparently a US diplomat was killed at the Libyan consulate.

poo poo.

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I beg to present to you as a Christmas gift, Mr. Lombardi, the city of Detroit.
It wasn't Terry Jones that produced the movie in question.

It also sounds like there's still fighting going on near the consulate.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

New Division posted:

It wasn't Terry Jones that produced the movie in question.
You're right, but there were some news reports originally saying it was Jones who produced it. Some of them have corrected, but Jones has still been involved in a promotional role. I still stand by what I said about him.

They have the video here:

http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2012/09/heres-the-movie-that-egyptians-just-stormed-the-us-embassy-over/262225/

The video itself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sQPRtS2h7k

It's like Command and Conquer meets The Ten Commandments

edit:
code:
Man + X = Islamic Terrorist

shyduck fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Sep 12, 2012

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Benagain posted:

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2012/09/20129112108737726.html

Apparently a US diplomat was killed at the Libyan consulate.

poo poo.

Apparently the nationality is still unconfirmed by CNN

http://www.cnn.com/2012/09/11/world/africa/libya-american-killed/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
Fingers crossed for the safety of A/T moderator Vilerat who was last seen in Benghazi for business with the State Department.

MothraAttack fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Sep 12, 2012

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

shyguy posted:

You're right, but there were some news reports originally saying it was Jones who produced it. Some of them have corrected, but Jones has still been involved in a promotional role. I still stand by what I said about him.

They have the video here:

http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2012/09/heres-the-movie-that-egyptians-just-stormed-the-us-embassy-over/262225/

The video itself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sQPRtS2h7k

It's like Command and Conquer meets The Ten Commandments

edit:
code:
Man + X = Islamic Terrorist

High-schoolers produce better quality "movies" than that. I don't get it. Anyone could see even from the clips shown on the TV show that the "movie" is nothing more than some idiots with a camera and cheap editing software.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011

Everything about this movie is so absurd.

az jan jananam fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Sep 12, 2012

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I'm trying to place the US Consulate in Bengzhai on a map, but I can find where it would be anywhere. The list of diplomatic missions of the US never mentions any mission in Bengzhai, and google searches are just polluted due to the attack. I dunno how you guys do such a good job keeping up on this stuff.

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I beg to present to you as a Christmas gift, Mr. Lombardi, the city of Detroit.

Clinton just confirmed it was a State Department official that was killed. I suppose it could be a non-american but I don't think it's likely. The consulate building was set on fire too.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011

az jan jananam fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Sep 12, 2012

terrorbeard
Sep 10, 2008
I play EVE online with Vile Rat in Goonswarm. There are rumors that he was killed in the Benghazi consulate attack.

I am hoping really hard that this is some sort of really awful troll.

bad news bareback
Jan 16, 2009

terrorbeard posted:

I play EVE online with Vile Rat in Goonswarm. There are rumors that he was killed in the Benghazi consulate attack.

Some other goons just confirmed that it was indeed Vile Rat that died. Truly loving tragic if it's true.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

quote:

quote:
(8:02:02 PM) directorbot: My people, I have greivous news. Vile Rat has been confirmed to be KIA in Benghazi; his family has been informed and the news is likely to break out on the wire services soon. Needless to say, we are in shock, have no words, and have nothing but sympathy for his family and children. I have known Vile Rat since 2006, he was one of the oldest of old-guard goons and one of the best and most effective diplomats this game has ever seen.

His family are in our thoughts and prayers.

*** This was a broadcast from the_mittani to all-all, replies are not monitored ***

Unfortunately I don't think it's a troll.

killer_app
Jan 22, 2009
From the makers of "Birdemic" comes a movie so bad that it that actually kills people.

mrfishstick
Oct 15, 2005
It's not a troll, the news came from his wife. Unless the State Department made a massive gently caress up in the identification, it isn't good. :smith:

powers
Jul 26, 2005

The Maller is an Amarrian frigate, used by hotdroppers.

~SMcD

terrorbeard posted:

I was clutching to this as well, but all the directors I am in channel with are telling me it isn't. It is really sad.

terrorbeard
Sep 10, 2008
God dammit.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
This is horrible.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
Vile Rat will be missed. We had some good chats about IT, and he wanted to help get me a job similar to his. It's a shame it had to happen to such a good guy :(

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

This is horrible.

No other word for it. :(

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
gently caress. And over a loving YouTube video. Great.

Umdrehung
Dec 4, 2003

by Fistgrrl
Good-bye!

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Can somebody give some details about why VileRat was over there? I know him as an mod around here, but I didn't know he was personally involved in worldwide politics.

What a hosed up situation.

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

Discospawn posted:

Can somebody give some details about why VileRat was over there? I know him as an mod around here, but I didn't know he was personally involved in worldwide politics.

He worked for the State Department doing IT work, I believe.

:(

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer

Discospawn posted:

He did IT work for the state department, which includes it's foreign assets.

mrfishstick
Oct 15, 2005
He worked for the State Department and very recently, less than a week ago, transferred from The Hague to the US consulate in Benghazi. This consulate was attacked by locals in protest over some stupid youtube video and Vile Rat was the one State Department employee killed in the conflict.

mrfishstick fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Sep 12, 2012

cheese783
May 8, 2006
whoops
I got drunk with the guy at a couple Eve goon nerdfests. He was a chill guy. I'm gonna miss you Sean. :smith:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
This sucks. What a shame. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apples and Oranges
Jun 28, 2009
Vilerat was one of my internet heroes. Rest in Peace.

• Locked thread