Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Rich people love eating what poor people used to have to eat.

So true. Classic examples of this are oxtails, shanks, lobster, oysters, and pork belly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

You forgot to add "organic, cruelty free, artisanal" before all of those.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Oh hey look we've got more beets.

Pretty subtle GIRLFRIEND post. (cutie)
fakeedit: poo poo, watch it be his daughter...

GrAviTy84 posted:

So true. Classic examples of this are oxtails, shanks, lobster, oysters, and pork belly.

We've been eating lobster all summer because it was all we could afford...

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
@Veg Mel: Ouch. Sorry to hear. Have you asked her to specify what the crap she means by this? If it's "the poo poo I eat in Murray Hill", then fair enough. Every restaurant sucks. All of them. If it's "I hate spices, and anything delicious," it's time to sever. And then come over. And I'll cook you all the Indian food. Damnit. >:|

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Very Strange Things posted:

We've been eating lobster all summer because it was all we could afford...

Lobster used to be a food that only the homeless would eat. I mean, it's closest relative is a cockroach. Not sayin' it's bad, it's just silly that it's as expensive as it is.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I'm still waiting for Mush and Milk to hit it big.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B02D4FtCwj4

GrAviTy84 posted:

Lobster used to be a food that only the homeless would eat. I mean, it's closest relative is a cockroach. Not sayin' it's bad, it's just silly that it's as expensive as it is.

No lie. In old jails in New England, they used to feed lobster to inmates as punishment.

therattle posted:

Since moving in with (and then marrying) a vegetarian I have not cooked meat. I really miss making a good stew with lamb and potatoes, leeks, carrots, peas, onions, garlic, rosemary, barley...mmmm

Sometimes I sneak out for burgers. :ssh:

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

GrAviTy84 posted:

And toro or fatty tuna, which pre-war Japan regarded as being the worst part of the fish and now is probably one of the most expensive, by weight, foods on the planet. Tuna in general used to be regarded as pretty much dead weight loss by fishermen, because nobody would loving eat any of it.

And pretty much all of bbq as a genre.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

GrAviTy84 posted:

Not sayin' it's bad, it's just silly that it's as expensive as it is.

It's like $3/lb on the East Coast. It spoils quickly and has to be shipped live in water which is heavy, was my understanding.

Chemmy fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Sep 12, 2012

Rule .303
Dec 9, 2011
(Instructions are just some other guy's opinion)
I had an Environmental Sciences Prof who had worked on a breakdown of inferred "commercial extinction" of various New England fisheries by the arc of their prices, exclusion, replacement by other species, and inferring the regeneration of the fisheries by their re-inclusion on high end restaurant menus for the 1800's and early 1900's. Really fascinating study.

Not to mention the fun of figuring out what dish had what in it.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Very Strange Things posted:

Pretty subtle GIRLFRIEND post. (cutie)
fakeedit: poo poo, watch it be his daughter..

Uh, girlfriend's room mate.

Anyway, totally made a fool of myself on the pitch tonight when I forgot that one of the exceptions to law 11 was on a throw in. But I was pretty impassioned after the referee kept giving free kicks to the other team after they would jump my players from behind.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Uh, girlfriend's room mate.

ok, really - how old are you, and are you married? (well, I guess you're not married...)

I keep on seesawing in my behind-the-internet intrepretation of mr. wiggles between like 'ok he's 40-50, married, proper, has kids and a decent house somewhere' and like 'ok he's single, 30-35, not at all proper, doesn't have kids or a decent house somewhere (but probably drinks a lot of beer)'.

sometimes I feel like I have gws totally figured out, but sometimes not so much. we should all probably have dinner somewhere someday. maybe. probably not.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

mindphlux posted:

ok, really - how old are you, and are you married? (well, I guess you're not married...)

I keep on seesawing in my behind-the-internet intrepretation of mr. wiggles between like 'ok he's 40-50, married, proper, has kids and a decent house somewhere' and like 'ok he's single, 30-35, not at all proper, doesn't have kids or a decent house somewhere (but probably drinks a lot of beer)'.

sometimes I feel like I have gws totally figured out, but sometimes not so much. we should all probably have dinner somewhere someday. maybe. probably not.

Pretty sure you've been around GWS longer than I have been, but IIRC, Wiggles has a Wi-Fi connection from the Silver Rush days of Nevada. He's some sort of bluegrass Rasta who's divorced. He didn't eat meat, but now does. And hates Costco and Smithfield. At least that's how I recall it.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Hence why I can't afford oxtails, god drat it.

E:fb.
Also I discovered that you can eat beets raw in salads. I'm cool with beets now.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

mindphlux posted:

I assure you that I am very boring and normal.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

It's because rich man foods are rich man foods mostly because they're expensive and exclusive and rare. Flavour is a carnal pleasure and only serves to stimulate the base responses of the lower classes. New summer potatoes with butter and dill taste better than Sevruga caviar.

GrAviTy84 posted:

Lumber floaters in Norway often had to specify by their work contracts that they couldn't be fed salmon more than five or six times a week. Wild salmon.

Speaking of working man's food. Shengjian mantou for breakfast, one dollar for the lot:

Bwahahahahahahah.

e: week. Not day. Goddammit.

Force de Fappe fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Sep 12, 2012

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Same thing in Maine, indentured servants would write into their contracts that they wouldn't be served lobster more than twice a week.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I assure you that I am very boring and normal.

no come on I need a date of birth, ssn, time of first marriage, color preferences, weight, lat+long current position, favorite herb...

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I would have to imagine that Wiggles back yard is rather impressive.

It's not nearly as nice as Kiteless's garden, but I do eat out there a lot. Also, check out my improvised sideboard, very classy.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Squashy Nipples posted:

Sometimes I sneak out for burgers. :ssh:

I am not vegetarian, nor do I pretend to be: I sometimes even eat meat and fish in her company (but consciously - so hardly ever chicken, unless I know where it is from, or beef - mostly it'll be fish of some kind, preferably sustainable, or duck or lamb). I just don't cook meat at home. I don't think she'd even mind if I did, provided that it was good meat that had been properly raised, but I am not going to cook a meal that she can't eat.

That does mean that there is no fun in sneaking out for meaty treats though...

Squashy Nipples posted:

I would have to imagine that Wiggles back yard is rather impressive.

His back door is even more impressive, from what I've heard.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
I feel like bragging. I was helping my inlaws make about 500 chinese dumplings one afteroon. I was the best dumpling maker. These were all restaurant owning folk. One lady had never made wrappers from scratch, they'd always used store bought wonton wrappers. The last time I made dumplings was when I was 8 years old watching my grandmother. She worked the rolling pin with one hand while turning the wrapper with the other. I even remembered you're supposed to roll the wrappers so that the middle is slightly thicker than the outside edge so the dumplings don't get too doughy where the edges are crimped together. I made my ancestors proud. Hooray.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Charmmi posted:

I feel like bragging. I was helping my inlaws make about 500 chinese dumplings one afteroon. I was the best dumpling maker. These were all restaurant owning folk. One lady had never made wrappers from scratch, they'd always used store bought wonton wrappers. The last time I made dumplings was when I was 8 years old watching my grandmother. She worked the rolling pin with one hand while turning the wrapper with the other. I even remembered you're supposed to roll the wrappers so that the middle is slightly thicker than the outside edge so the dumplings don't get too doughy where the edges are crimped together. I made my ancestors proud. Hooray.

you're hired, when can you start?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Charmmi posted:

Honey, you can crimp my dumplings any time.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Bertrand Hustle posted:

look at this jerk who eats trashcans

The poor used to eat trashcans but now the loving hipsters have driven the price up to $14/lb.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

pr0k posted:

The poor used to eat trashcans but now the loving hipsters have driven the price up to $14/lb.

Hey, pr0k! Long time no see.

Speaking of trashcans, how is your mom anyway? Good thing she isn't $14/lb - that would end up costing quite a bit.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
Hello People!
I am now part of the tepid puddle crowd, also I am old!

Besides that, office politicking like the estranged love child of Machiavelli and Göring, conceived during a boy scout trek through the alps, brought up by wild rodents!

I hope I get to save what needs saved (people), right now it looks ok!

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
Also, referring to mass firerings as 'our intended bio-mass reductions' is frowned upon by HR. Why do those guys lack a sense of humor?

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
I have had it explained to me but it's no fun. What is fun is pointing out the horrible deprivations suffered by the Chinese gymnast the HR drone picked to adorn this months' homegrown motivational posters. Or gluing googly-eyes to the smiley faces on the posters telling us that it's "all about you! :)"

therattle posted:

Hey, pr0k! Long time no see.

Speaking of trashcans, how is your mom anyway? Good thing she isn't $14/lb - that would end up costing quite a bit.

'lo! :cool:

She charges by the inch so you wouldn't have to pay much.

:downsrim:

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Googly eyes make everything better, it's true.

edit: Yes, even food. You go stick a couple googly eyes on a steak and tell me that isn't funny.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Happy Hat posted:

Also, referring to mass firerings as 'our intended bio-mass reductions' is frowned upon by HR. Why do those guys lack a sense of humor?

Feh and fie to them, hat. They just hate fun.

Also, googly eyes should be the next icsa theme.

And a final thought. The awful app is a thing of sorcery and I'm only 25, yet it feels like the future. Technology is magical.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

pr0k posted:

She charges by the inch so you wouldn't have to pay much.

:downsrim:
Touché, sir! :golfclap:

Bloody hell, closing this film is killing me.

Lyssavirus
Oct 9, 2007
Symptoms include swelling of the brain (encephalitis), numbness, muscle weakness, coma, and death.
Holy crap, guys! I'm not off the grid anymore! I have an account with a financial institution! :aaa:
Thanks again to grav for giving me that bread recipe, I think my bread is starting to be more "rustic" instead of "kind of crap". I also corned a beef and it's delicious, though not that awesome looking since I couldn't find pink salt.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Oh hey look we've got more beets.

Looking at this post while in a group spawned some terrible, terrible things.

"What is that?" "A beet."
"Someone ought to beet that down!"
"Aw man, you better hope she doesn't drop that beet."
Et cetera.

:suicide:

Lyssavirus fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Sep 14, 2012

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Lyssavirus posted:

Looking at this post while in a group spawned some terrible, terrible things.

"What is that?" "A beet."
"Someone ought to beet that down!"
"Aw man, you better hope she doesn't drop that beet."
Et cetera.

:suicide:

I linked it to a friend of mine who pointed out that it is, in fact, a phat beet.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Lyssavirus posted:

I couldn't find pink salt.
http://www.butcher-packer.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=55

Found!

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
farmed chickens should probably just be fed fishsauce as part of their diet because goddamn if fishsauce doesn't always make chicken fuckin amazing

:horse:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

"Pullos quae sunt ultro debet esse pascebant garum, cum garum notum est semper amplio saporem de pullis."

-Mindphluxus, De Arte Coquendam

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

mindphlux posted:

farmed chickens should probably just be fed fishsauce as part of their diet because goddamn if fishsauce doesn't always make chicken fuckin amazing

:horse:

I made Bagna Cauda the other day and used the left overs to cook chicken. It was loving awesome. The best panfried chicken I've ever had.

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Fondued cockerel is the most famous dish of the ancient Catalonian dynasty.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Dane posted:

I made Bagna Cauda the other day and used the left overs to cook chicken. It was loving awesome. The best panfried chicken I've ever had.

yeah, oddly enough I've done basically the same thing - made a chicken caesar salad recently, and took half the tin of anchovies I was using for my dressing, mashed them with some garlic, and marinated my chicken breast in that before searing it off and topping the salad. was so drat good. real bagna cauda would probably be better though re: malliard reactions

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
got two tickets to Next's kyoto service, at a pretty ideal date+time thanks to the magic of omnipresent internet and RSS feeds sent via SMS to my phone. flying-to-chicago-for-no-particular-reason birthday plans saved. hurrayyyy :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyssavirus
Oct 9, 2007
Symptoms include swelling of the brain (encephalitis), numbness, muscle weakness, coma, and death.

Couldn't find it in a local store, because until very recently (the day I posted that, in fact) I didn't have a bank account, and had no way to purchase things online. I do know how to use google. :geno: