Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hemoglobin
Jan 13, 2010

come pick my roses~
Such a shame. Poor guy. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
http://eveinfo.net/wiki/ind~3697.htm

In memory, the viletat.

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Sep 12, 2012

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Man, I didn't know the guy but this is sad as hell. RIP, dude :smith:

edit: Aw hell, I knew I'd seen him around somewhere, in TFF. God dammit. :smith:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Hemoglobin posted:

Such a shame. Poor guy. :smith:

Dude was married with kids, too. That really sucks for them.

Maybe there will be a donation drive or something.

mpaarating
May 6, 2011

The Baddest Boi

Cream_Filling posted:

Dude was married with kids, too. That really sucks for them.

Maybe there will be a donation drive or something.

I'm sure there will be.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Dear God, no :smith:

Granted I only really knew him from when he dropped in to post in LF back when it was still around, but still, he was a pretty cool guy.

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Sep 12, 2012

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Still hoping for a mistake and our VR will return safe and sound.

However, it sure looks like bad news. He was a good guy and a solid mod.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3506424
Doesn't look like it was a mistake.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Not too long ago he was talking about emergency procedures for an event like this, basically get your rear end to a safe room and secure anything secret, the marines are not there to have firefights. He was a cool guy, I hope they are wrong about this.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
What a loving shame, I really hope his family gets taken care of. :smith:

Althair
Jul 26, 2006
words are weapons
I played EVE with Vile. This is so loving sad. He had just arrived.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I bet this entire incident goes answered too. VR was a great guy, and gave me some awesome advice on how to turn my military experience into a job when I got out. RIP man.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
When I saw the news my thoughts jumped to this thread, so I headed here to see what the experts thought. Little did I know it was one of us. What the gently caress.

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I beg to present to you as a Christmas gift, Mr. Lombardi, the city of Detroit.
I can't believe Vilerat is dead because of misplaced anger over some stupid video.:smith:

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

New Division posted:

I can't believe Vilerat is dead because of misplaced anger over some stupid video.:smith:

It's truly depressing. Especially if it's confirmed that it's Ansar Alsharia, the same dopes who figure that Sufi Shrines are the biggest threat to Islam they can find. The whole situation is just tragic and pointless. Ugh.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

This whole thing is just horrible. I can't think of another word for it...

There's nothing good at all about this situation, but at least Obama is the POTUS and not McCain or Romney, otherwise I don't doubt that we'd be preparing for an assault.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
This is horrible. I was just yesterday reading about the 1979 attack on embassy in Pakistan in a book about the attack on Mecca by a wahabbist group. That was blamed on infidels by the media so of course a mob went to burn down the American embassy.

It ended with two embassy workers dead, two of the invading students shot dead by other Pakistanis (embassy guards were ordered not to fire) and the US government having to thank the Pakistan government for protecting their embassy so fantastically to not anger Zia anymore. The State Department will probably do the same here and blame that oh so tiny minority of radicals.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Look Around You posted:

This whole thing is just horrible. I can't think of another word for it...
, otherwise I don't doubt that we'd be preparing for an assault.

How is that bad? You can't go around murder people because an internet video offended you. We need to answer this, and fuckin' hard.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Arrgytehpirate posted:

How is that bad? You can't go around murder people because an internet video offended you. We need to answer this, and fuckin' hard.

I understand that people are super pissed off right now and I'm right there with you. But quite frankly, who do we answer it to? Ansar Alsharia? Do we even know who/what/where/why that group is? I understand the desire that we do something, but honestly, there really isn't anything we can do without causing far more death and destruction to those who don't have it coming. This is a tragedy and it's the worst kind, the one we can't do a drat thing about.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Arrgytehpirate posted:

The knee-jerk reaction to attack people physically resemble those involved, or who just happen to be in the same geographic region as them, is the same mentality that set off these violent protests. It's enraging to read about stuff like this, especially when it's personal, but it doesn't change the fact that the solution is not untargeted retribution.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Never played EVE, don't post in D&D much, but read the hell out of it. RIP

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

J33uk posted:

I understand that people are super pissed off right now and I'm right there with you. But quite frankly, who do we answer it to? Ansar Alsharia? Do we even know who/what/where/why that group is? I understand the desire that we do something, but honestly, there really isn't anything we can do without causing far more death and destruction to those who don't have it coming. This is a tragedy and it's the worst kind, the one we can't do a drat thing about.

This is a job for police work. That's all it is. That is something that can be done. Probably not by us, though.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I'm not saying we go murder everyone, I mean I wouldn't cry over it, but there's gotta be security cam footage. We send in some CIA or SF or something, and kill some dudes.

Blood for blood.

Remember what happened to Japan when they hosed with us? What happened to that poo poo?

the tingler
Jul 15, 2009

Arrgytehpirate posted:

are you completely missing the irony here?

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

burritonegro posted:

are you completely missing the irony here?

We'd be killing them because they are murders. Not because they posted a mean youtube.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Oh christ I remember the post he made when he got transferred. That is just horrible :( Hope his family has support.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I'm not saying we go murder everyone, I mean I wouldn't cry over it, but there's gotta be security cam footage. We send in some CIA or SF or something, and kill some dudes.

Blood for blood.

Remember what happened to Japan when they hosed with us? What happened to that poo poo?

A couple of decade+ long wars.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I don't post here nearly as much as I used to, but Vilerat always struck me as level-headed and fair. I didn't know what he did for work- the fact that he did potentially dangerous work certainly didn't cross my mind. And all this over a goddamn movie? Some people need to lighten the hell up. Protest the movie if you want, that's the best course of action. Banning it altogether strikes me as petty and stupid, but it's still infinitely better than killing people.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Sep 12, 2012

the tingler
Jul 15, 2009

Arrgytehpirate posted:

We'd be killing them because they are murders. Not because they posted a mean youtube.

on a day like today your sense of justice is particularly telling.

Nagato
Apr 26, 2011

Why yes my username is the same as an autistic alien who looks like a 9 year old from an anime, why do ask?
:nyoron:
Can someone please link his last post?

tmo rathnam
Jul 5, 2012

by Fistgrrl

Nagato posted:

(Ozma is editing out your stupid as hell post)
(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Nagato posted:

This is from the Goonswarm thread:

sheepdemon posted:

Was so hosed that he was chatting to dudes on mumble minutes before this happened. His last two messages were :

(2:40:22 PM) vile_rat: gently caress
(2:40:24 PM) vile_rat: gunfire

:(

RIP Vile Rat. I hope you ride a dragon into valhalla or something.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Arrgytehpirate posted:

The attack by Japan was executed by the military of a internationally recognized government. There is no organized body of chucklefucks we can take issue with and declare war on here.

This is why the whole "war on terror" is so drat difficult. We need to swat mosquitoes, and all we have on hand are sledgehammers.

brennon
Sep 15, 2004

What the hell? Can we not do this?

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
This is absolutely terrible. He was an inspiration and will be missed. A fellow FSO says that State will probably have some sort of benefit fund created for those interested in donating to the wife and kids he leaves behind.

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!

Nagato posted:

Last post

Last post in D&D

Man this sucks :smith:

edit: oh jeez :smith: :smith: :smith:

Vilerat posted:

I'm in the best post. My IPC has windows. They open.

I have open windows in my IPC. I have fresh air and I can hear protesters really awesomely but that owns cause I love a good protest.

ixnay fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Sep 12, 2012

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

brennon posted:

What the hell? Can we not do this?

We're not doing this. Thank you for editing your post.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Warcabbit posted:

This is a job for police work. That's all it is. That is something that can be done. Probably not by us, though.

They'll probably give them a medal for being a defender of the faith.

Augure
Jan 9, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

CeeJee posted:

They'll probably give them a medal for being a defender of the faith.

Yeah, "they" probably will do that, because of course that's just what I'd expect from "them."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Someone brought up a good point. VRs biggest legacy was preventing violence. I'm not gonna poo poo on that anymore then I have.

• Locked thread