Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

thebigcow posted:

Was Oracle ever the best, or at least a good database? I don't know anything about it but from reading this thread I don't understand how they are a business.

Oracle is straight up awesome, but only if you have a team dedicated to it. For most shops where you have some says admins who know how to google up some SQL poo poo, oracle is not a fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

adorai posted:

Oracle is straight up awesome, but only if you have a team dedicated to it. For most shops where you have some says admins who know how to google up some SQL poo poo, oracle is not a fit.

I heartily disagree. It's a disgusting monster of a database and you will forever fear upgrading it.

1) The upgrades are messy and awful. Have to do soooo many things manually (scripts, giant SQL, etc) and the only option is restore from backup if you hit an error .... you won't know until you search / call Oracle and they point out which ORA-XXXXX it is.)

2) Upgrading is Russian Roulette. Customers pay Oracle BIG MONEY to fix their problems with the query planner. It might not even be the correct behavior, but if you have the right pull with Oracle they'll make changes to it. And now your queries could horribly underperform or your carefully designed hints are now useless.

3) You're not supposed to use hints in production, but you have to because fixes to the query planner can take YEARS.... and they might not be in your favor.

4) TNSListener

If you're a very picky SQL admin who is able to dig deep into database issues and root out little problems most people write off you'd love Postgres. Tom Lane is begging for people like you because he will fix the query planner to be right if you manage to find a deficiency. Worth dipping your toes in to the Pg ecosystem if you have time because it will definitely pay off.

Oracle can do some interesting stuff -- I happen to know the people who write TOAD over at Quest. It's a huge industry that is slowly dying, but man... :signings: Some people would rather pay Oracle $100K+/yr than hire a second DBA to increase productivity and performance using proper alternatives.

edit: can you imagine an entire CMS ecosystem generated on the fly using PL/SQL? I mean, all the content stored in the database as BLOBs, all the HTTP, Javascript, PHP, etc generated on the fly from various packages and tables and dblinks and oh god... yes... 20+million lines of PL/SQL. I've seen it. It's what the end of the world looks like. And you can't scale it.

feld fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Sep 7, 2012

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

feld posted:

1) The upgrades are messy and awful ... you'd love Postgres
We've been down this road before but I'm still going to call you on this juxtaposition.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

mayodreams posted:

Has anyone dabbled with Mac OS on ESXi? I really want to have a 10.7.4 server running on a Mac Pro host because our XServe is ancient and I want more reliability.
http://www.vmware.com/support/vsphere5/doc/vsp_esxi50_u1_rel_notes.html

Support for additional guest operating systems – ESXi 5.0 Update 1 adds support for Mac OS X Server Lion 10.7.2 and 10.7.3.

in update 1 we got this, seeing how 10.7.3 is there I would say .4 would probably work, but no idea if it is going to work

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Corvettefisher posted:

http://www.vmware.com/support/vsphere5/doc/vsp_esxi50_u1_rel_notes.html

Support for additional guest operating systems – ESXi 5.0 Update 1 adds support for Mac OS X Server Lion 10.7.2 and 10.7.3.

in update 1 we got this, seeing how 10.7.3 is there I would say .4 would probably work, but no idea if it is going to work

Right. I've done a lot of research, but was curious if anyone actually has it in production. I've got 10.7.3 Server running now, but 10.7.4 breaks it, even though it's in the HCL.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Came across a nice blog post today answering some common questions about the new "shared nothing" vMotion coming in 5.1.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

So, my VMware infrastructure is stuck at ESX3.5 Update 5 and I need to get up to speed quick. Does anyone have any tips on some light reading?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Internet Explorer posted:

So, my VMware infrastructure is stuck at ESX3.5 Update 5 and I need to get up to speed quick. Does anyone have any tips on some light reading?

Not light reading, but a pretty good book.

http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-VMw...ering+vsphere+5

Light reading on dos and donts.

http://www.amazon.com/Critical-VMwa...vmware+mistakes

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Both those books are great

http://www.amazon.com/VMware-vSphere-Design-Forbes-Guthrie/dp/0470922028/ref=pd_rhf_sc_s_cp_6
dated for 4.1 but still provides good concepts, VMware press books are also amazing

Serfer
Mar 10, 2003

The piss tape is real

mayodreams posted:

Right. I've done a lot of research, but was curious if anyone actually has it in production. I've got 10.7.3 Server running now, but 10.7.4 breaks it, even though it's in the HCL.

Apple allows for virtualization now? I did not know that.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Serfer posted:

Apple allows for virtualization now? I did not know that.

Only when running on Apple hardware. Basically, gently caress Apple so hard.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
The last bit of Apple hardware to actually be HCLed (the vendor elects through this process, not necessarily VMware) was their retired Xserve line. I can tell you it works on a Mac mini (or Mac mini Server) once you get some Broadcom drivers prepped, but otherwise it should be really uneventful/easy to get going on a Mac Pro or Mac Pro Server.

For whiteboxes, it's always going to be down to NIC support. And I guess 64-bit processing, but that really shouldn't be someone's problem today.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

At what point do I actually need to upgrade from SQL Server Express to SQL Server for vCenter? Currently we're running Express 2005 for 4 hosts and 150 VMs with about 2GB data. I'm looking at upgrading to 5.0, but i need to upgrade to 2008 first and the document says I shouldn't use Express after I exceed either 5 hosts, 4GB or 50 VMs :ohdear:

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

luminalflux posted:

At what point do I actually need to upgrade from SQL Server Express to SQL Server for vCenter? Currently we're running Express 2005 for 4 hosts and 150 VMs with about 2GB data. I'm looking at upgrading to 5.0, but i need to upgrade to 2008 first and the document says I shouldn't use Express after I exceed either 5 hosts, 4GB or 50 VMs :ohdear:

Off the top of my head the only real limitation with using SQL Server Express is the maximum database size which used to be 4GB however in SQL Server Express 2008 R2 it was upped to 10GB and I'm pretty sure that that is the version bundled with vCentre 5.x.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

So no performance issues or anything like that?

Do I need to upgrade to 2008 first, or will the installer take care of that upgrade as well?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

luminalflux posted:

Depends how much logging you do, reducing you logging might slow down how fast it fills up. Transactions like vMotion and constant reconfiguration of each VM store a log in sql express.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=7593
You can use SQL studio manager to manage the database.

Just remember if your SQL express fills expect a vCenter crash. If you can't afford SQL then you might want to get 2008 r2, which has a DB max size of 10GB instead of 4 like 2005 has.

I am 99% sure it upgrades the DB to 2008 with vCenter 5, but I could be wrong on that.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Sep 11, 2012

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Corvettefisher posted:

If you can't afford SQL then you might want to get 2008 r2, which has a DB max size of 10GB instead of 4 like 2005 has

I need to get 2008 anyway as 2005 isn't supported for vCenter 5. 10GB should probably be fine.
(It's not really an afford question, I just want to hold out as long as possible before shelling out more bucks to MS and hoping they'll make Postgresql a compatible database soon)

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

luminalflux posted:

I need to get 2008 anyway as 2005 isn't supported for vCenter 5. 10GB should probably be fine.
(It's not really an afford question, I just want to hold out as long as possible before shelling out more bucks to MS and hoping they'll make Postgresql a compatible database soon)

Ah okay I misunderstood sorry. PostGRE is already the DB in the Virtual Appliance vCenter 5.0.1 which is linux based. You might want to look at it some, just remember it is missing a few features like, example VUM, at the movement.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Sep 11, 2012

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

From what I can tell, VUM is supported, it just needs to be run in a windows guest instead. So if the DB size becomes a problem I'll guess I'll just deploy the appliance and deal with that hassle instead of shelling out.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole
It makes me super sad VUM requires Windows, but I guess VCSA isn't ready for primetime anyway.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

luminalflux posted:

From what I can tell, VUM is supported, it just needs to be run in a windows guest instead. So if the DB size becomes a problem I'll guess I'll just deploy the appliance and deal with that hassle instead of shelling out.

Supported yes, but the stand alone, the VA does not do it.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

three posted:

It makes me super sad VUM requires Windows, but I guess VCSA isn't ready for primetime anyway.

I've already paid for a Server 2008 license so I can manage that, but yeah it sucks big time. Almost makes me want to experiment a bit just to see if I can get this up and running in a lab environment.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Corvettefisher posted:

Depends how much logging you do, reducing you logging might slow down how fast it fills up. Transactions like vMotion and constant reconfiguration of each VM store a log in sql express.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=7593
You can use SQL studio manager to manage the database.

Just remember if your SQL express fills expect a vCenter crash. If you can't afford SQL then you might want to get 2008 r2, which has a DB max size of 10GB instead of 4 like 2005 has.

I am 99% sure it upgrades the DB to 2008 with vCenter 5, but I could be wrong on that.

I was involved in an incident some time ago where one of my former colleagues deployed a SAN, three ESXi 4.1 hosts and vCentre with SQL Express 2005 for a customer. This guy was always known for cutting corners and it turned out that he never setup e-mail alerts on the SAN or in vCentre so that if something went to poo poo, and it did, we wouldn't know about it.

Six months after he deployed the gear two HDDs in a RAID5 array on the SAN died which caused an entire LUN, holding a VMFS datastore, to go offline. Because this guy never setup alerts we only found out about it three months after the fact (Amazingly the VMs on that datastore weren't in production so the customer was none the wiser). Anyway by the time we got to it the vCentre database on the SQL Express 2005 instance was absolutely chockers and none of the vCentre services could be started.

One of my other colleagues was tasked with cleaning up the entire mess and he spent about half a day trying to resurrect vCentre. I told him to just give up, nuke it and reinstall however he perservered and after running some delete queries against a few tables followed by a shrink of the database he got vCentre working again.

So I guess the moral of the story is that for an environment with three hosts and 5-7 something VMs a 4GB vCentre DB size limit is fine. Oh and alerts on everything and gently caress people who don't do their job properly.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So what the poo poo. Trying to install vCenter server, and it fails with these errors in status.txt and jointool.txt:

status.txt posted:

-----------------
Bad number format: "servername"
java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: "servername"
-----------------
Initialization error.

jointool.txt posted:

[2012-09-11 09:35:05,759 com.vmware.vim.jointool] Failed to find instance config at: "C:\ProgramData\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter\instance.cfg", assuming defaults
[2012-09-11 09:35:05,759 com.vmware.vim.jointool] Storage directory not found in instance.cfg.
[2012-09-11 09:35:05,759 com.vmware.vim.jointool] Bad number format: "servername": For input string: "servername"
[2012-09-11 09:35:05,791 com.vmware.vim.jointool] Initialization error.

For some reason it's taking the fqdn of the server (which I put in when choosing the account for the service to run as) and treating it as a number? Googling this I found one Russian post with the exact same problem, but no solution. Someone mentioned to him that there might be an ADAM problem but he never responded.

I'm not installing this on a domain controller, so any idea what's up?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
FYI 5.1 is availible for public download
https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/info/slug/datacenter_cloud_infrastructure/vmware_vsphere/5_1

FISHMANPET posted:

So what the poo poo. Trying to install vCenter server, and it fails with these errors in status.txt and jointool.txt:

For some reason it's taking the fqdn of the server (which I put in when choosing the account for the service to run as) and treating it as a number? Googling this I found one Russian post with the exact same problem, but no solution. Someone mentioned to him that there might be an ADAM problem but he never responded.

I'm not installing this on a domain controller, so any idea what's up?

Can't say I have seen that before. Is .Net isntalled and patched up? also what version of windows server is this on

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Sep 11, 2012

Tax Oddity
Apr 8, 2007

The love cannon has a very short range, about 2 feet, so you're inevitably out of range. I have to close the distance.
Does anyone know how long it usually takes Dell to make customized ESXi isos available? I have a Poweredge R710 that I want to put 5.1 on.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Corvettefisher posted:

FYI 5.1 is availible for public download
https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/info/slug/datacenter_cloud_infrastructure/vmware_vsphere/5_1

Can't say I have seen that before. Is .Net isntalled and patched up? also what version of windows server is this on

It's on 2008 R2, .Net is patched as far as I can tell (Windows Update doesn't have any more patches for it).

I built a fresh machine and I'm going to try a more simple install. I had a seperate SQL server and I was using a special local account and now I'm realizing that I have exactly 2 hosts and gently caress it, I'm using the default values to make this simple. So we'll see how this goes.

For 5.1, the 5.0 license keys still work, right?

E: Works fine on a fresh install, problem solved I guess.

FISHMANPET fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Sep 11, 2012

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

Nev posted:

Does anyone know how long it usually takes Dell to make customized ESXi isos available? I have a Poweredge R710 that I want to put 5.1 on.

Dell and HP usually trail by 3-4 weeks, although they had 5.0U1 out just a week after it was released.

Tax Oddity
Apr 8, 2007

The love cannon has a very short range, about 2 feet, so you're inevitably out of range. I have to close the distance.

madsushi posted:

Dell and HP usually trail by 3-4 weeks, although they had 5.0U1 out just a week after it was released.

That doesn't sound too bad, thanks!

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Are the Dell customized ISOs really worth using?

For my installs I just used the normal ISO from VMware. Only time I had to add in additional drivers manually was adding in a dual 10GbE Emulex card.

Edit: Looks like they package updated drivers into them. I should probably switch over to that once the Dell 5.1 ISOs come out.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

Moey posted:

Are the Dell customized ISOs really worth using?

For my installs I just used the normal ISO from VMware. Only time I had to add in additional drivers manually was adding in a dual 10GbE Emulex card.

Edit: Looks like they package updated drivers into them. I should probably switch over to that once the Dell 5.1 ISOs come out.

Less about the drivers for me and more about the CIM providers so you can monitor things like hardware RAID status (individual drives).

complex
Sep 16, 2003

madsushi posted:

HP versions were released coincidentally with the official VMware release.

Now, usually you can go to the easy to remember URL http://www.hp.com/go/esxidownload and you'll end up in the right spot. As of right now the links are still pointing to 5.0.0. :mad: So for now go to https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/info/slug/datacenter_cloud_infrastructure/vmware_vsphere/5_1#drivers_tools and look under OEM.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Anyone have any info as to whether or not new VCPs will get their free Workstation8 codes upgraded to 9?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Mierdaan posted:

Anyone have any info as to whether or not new VCPs will get their free Workstation8 codes upgraded to 9?

"Congratulations on passing the VCP! I will contact the VCP team to find out if they they have anything planned."

As far as I ever get, one VCP5 I know said he got an ETA of 6-8 weeks for a key....

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

madsushi posted:

Less about the drivers for me and more about the CIM providers so you can monitor things like hardware RAID status (individual drives).

I can see the individual drive statuses on all of my Dell hosts, and they're all the standard VMware image. Unless I'm not looking for the right thing?

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Corvettefisher posted:

"Congratulations on passing the VCP! I will contact the VCP team to find out if they they have anything planned."

As far as I ever get, one VCP5 I know said he got an ETA of 6-8 weeks for a key....

I got my key two days after VMware acknowledged I passed the test. Also, coincidentally, like two weeks after Workstation 9 was announced.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Yeah I got mine June 30th I can understand if I don't get 9. I don't think it works on fedora anyway. Centos is supported, but centOS tends to break on my laptop quite often. I'll stick with 8 for a while

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Sep 12, 2012

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So my ESX3 server has a host license file on it. I can't add that to my vCenter server because it needs to be in license server mode. I have no way of getting that original license file, is there any hope of adding this to vCenter?

Since I'm only doing this to migrate machines off the host, I can just dump it into evaluation mode and join it that way, couldn't I?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Does it need to stay licensed with ESX 3? You might be able to migrate it to 4.1 then 5.0, preserving the existing datastore, and migrate them off after. However expect downtime.

This document may also provide you some optional ways of doing it.
http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/techpaper/vsp_5_legacy_host_lic.pdf

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Sep 12, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

Erwin posted:

I can see the individual drive statuses on all of my Dell hosts, and they're all the standard VMware image. Unless I'm not looking for the right thing?

Here's the HP ESXi 5.1 download - https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/details?downloadGroup=HP-ESXI-5.1.0-GA-10SEP2012&productId=285

Looks like VMWare is hosting it now, which is new!

If you can see the individual drive statuses, then either you installed the Dell driver bundle separately or you're not using a RAID array, or something.