Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

13Pandora13 posted:

Okay, I had a godawful week and I need some foodie therapy. I'm broke so I'd like to stay in Lawrenceville-Snellville-Lilburn ish and not spend a lot of money. My favorite sushi joint closed (Kinyobee =( ) but really anything cheap and amazing is fine.

Umaido, Haru Ichiban, and Sushi Avenue should be near you, all reasonably priced in my opinion. Kinyobee was never all that good in my opinion. I live in that area too, what kind of food are you looking for? Specifically sushi?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

signalnoise posted:

Umaido, Haru Ichiban, and Sushi Avenue should be near you, all reasonably priced in my opinion. Kinyobee was never all that good in my opinion. I live in that area too, what kind of food are you looking for? Specifically sushi?

Anything really. Sushi, Middle Eastern, Eastern European, Italian, German, Mexican, anything. I wasn't really impressed by Sushi Avenue but I'll definitely check out the other two, thanks!

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
If we're talking lower end on the price scale I really enjoy Taqueria Los Hermanos in Tucker for mexican.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I grew up in Tucker, and I can second Los Hermanos. I also enjoy Enzo's Pizza on Hugh Howell.

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!

signalnoise posted:

If we're talking lower end on the price scale I really enjoy Taqueria Los Hermanos in Tucker for mexican.

I didn't know you were up in ATL. We should smoke together sometime since I'm still new to cigars and you are much more knowledgeable. :smug:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

So I hear they're opening a Delia's Chicken Sausage stand at the corner of Northside Dr. and Marietta St. I graduated too early, I tells ya.
http://atlanta.eater.com/archives/2012/09/11/coming-attractions-5.php

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
is there anywhere else in atlanta that does hot chicken aside from h&f on monday? good hot chicken, I mean. I had never even heard of it before, but after having h&f's a few times, I get these cravings for it... :(

JCT kitchen has some fried hot chicken oysters on their menu, and they're ok and all, but not really up to snuff.

wahhh I'm going to have to drive to nashville just to get some hot chicken

AHugeDickhead
Dec 8, 2008

mindphlux posted:

is there anywhere else in atlanta that does hot chicken aside from h&f on monday? good hot chicken, I mean. I had never even heard of it before, but after having h&f's a few times, I get these cravings for it... :(

JCT kitchen has some fried hot chicken oysters on their menu, and they're ok and all, but not really up to snuff.

wahhh I'm going to have to drive to nashville just to get some hot chicken

http://blogs.ajc.com/food-and-more/2012/08/23/hot-chicken-roundup/

I've been wondering the same thing for a while, so here you go.

ppzheng
Jan 4, 2008
Try Ege Sushi. Owned and operated by people from Japan. The sushi is reasonably priced and is about as fresh as I've seen in Atlanta. They have a special laminated menu that has all sorts of authentic stuff on it such as raw octopus in some spicy chili sauce, raw sea cucumber marinated in a lemon/scallion sauce, fried yellow tail collars etc.

If you are bringing more than 4 people, make a reservation. The owner will get pissy sometimes if you show up with a big group without telling them in advance. Don't expect timely service or frequent refills on beverages. I've waited almost an hour for food once on a busy Saturday evening.

http://www.ege-sushi.com/

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

RHIN0002 posted:

http://blogs.ajc.com/food-and-more/2012/08/23/hot-chicken-roundup/

I've been wondering the same thing for a while, so here you go.

niceee, thanks. dunno how I missed this.

ppzheng
Jan 4, 2008
For people who were raving about Tasty China. That place is OK at best and the quality is not consistent. That place is really hit or miss. For example, their Shan City chicken often contains more breading than chicken. Their cold appetizers are sometimes way overcooked. The same dish will come out very differently each time you go in there, from the flavoring to the garnishes. I'm pretty sure different chefs there have free rein over how to cook each dish. Their wontons tastes pasty with a cooked then left out for 8 hours mouth feel and taste. I will give credit to their Chicken with Three Kind Mushroom (sic). That is a phenomenal dish that they have removed from their menu, though you can still ask for it.

If you want quality Szechuan cuisine and don't mind a drive, check out Liu Fu up in Johns Creek. That place used to be on 141 near where all the Mexicans live and was named China Inn until they moved up to JC. Their Chinese name has always been Liu Fu so they stuck with the Chinese name when they moved. The restaurant has some pretty standard Americanized Chinese food but also has plenty of stuff for the more adventurous eaters. I'd recommend their Stir Fried Pork Intestines with Fermented Black Beans and their Kung Pao Kidneys if you're into offal. Their Pocket Tofu is delicious. They have a Smoked Fish dish that is considered a delicacy in China and should be tried at least once.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Warning! The restaurant in this post is well outside of the Atlanta Metropolitan Statistical Area. Be prepared to drive an hour or more if you want to eat or drink there.

While the forums were down, I took a little road trip and checked out King Skinny Pimp's coffee shop. I have to say, I'm seriously impressed. The decor is warm and relaxing, it's spacious, and there was a big stack of Wired magazines to read. I had a hummus wrap that was really something special -- humus and fresh veggies on a tortilla, folded up into sort of a sandwich form factor. It was simple, but super tasty. I wish that whole shop could be dropped somewhere along my commute so I could become a regular.

KSP, I don't know if you were there, but I was the guy in the highlighter yellow motorcycle jacket this morning.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Sep 25, 2012

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
Finally checked out MacCracken's in Marietta and had a full Irish breakfast. loving delicious. They get their sausages from Patak, apparently. All of them were excellent and the black pudding in particular had a really nice spice flavor...clove, I think? The soda bread was perfect, too.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

Safety Dance posted:

While the forums were down, I took a little road trip and checked out King Skinny Pimp's coffee shop. I have to say, I'm seriously impressed. The decor is warm and relaxing, it's spacious, and there was a big stack of Wired magazines to read. I had a hummus wrap that was really something special -- humus and fresh veggies on a tortilla, folded up into sort of a sandwich form factor. It was simple, but super tasty. I wish that whole shop could be dropped somewhere along my commute so I could become a regular.

KSP, I don't know if you were there, but I was the guy in the highlighter yellow motorcycle jacket this morning.

Hahaha, thanks. Glad you liked the hummus and my fancy square wraps. I'm the only cook in the kitchen, so I was the one who brought out your food and everything. I'm hoping to start selling the hummus in bulk once demand goes up a little bit, so I'll let you know if you wanna come by and get some.

In other dining news, I can't wait until I pay off my medical debts so I can eat out at nice restaurants again. So many places in Atlanta I need to check out.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Skinny King Pimp posted:

Hahaha, thanks. Glad you liked the hummus and my fancy square wraps. I'm the only cook in the kitchen, so I was the one who brought out your food and everything. I'm hoping to start selling the hummus in bulk once demand goes up a little bit, so I'll let you know if you wanna come by and get some.

Where do you work?

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

venutolo posted:

Where do you work?

Cream & Shuga in Jefferson.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Skinny King Pimp posted:

drat. I love me some good hummus, but Jefferson is really far from Midtown.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
what is jefferson

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
hehe

http://www.cityofjeffersonga.com/

|
|
|
|
v

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAQSjzHVBWs

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Sep 25, 2012

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur

Skinny King Pimp posted:

That's outside the perimeter, and just as far as Athens.

I think Alabama is closer to Atlanta than Jefferson GA.

Your coffee shop looks really cool and ga pride & all that, but people are really stretching the definition of "Atlanta dining" if it's an hour + away, in the wasteland of winder/gainseville/commerce/dahlonega/etc.

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur
Yeah, I live in Atlanta

Cool, what part?

Birmingham, Al.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
it's just where he works man, and he is a gws poster

it's not like he's being like 'LETS ADD A COMPLETE LIST OF MY FAVORITE JEFFERSON RESTAURANTS TO THE ATLANTA OP POST' or anything

and I'll give him points for working at a not-chain place out in the burbs.

(but other than that, yeah)

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur
No problem with Skinny King Pimp or his wasteland hummus and coffee outpost, it's probably the only thing they have in the red Georgia clay desert of the former Confederacy.

He didn't even come suggest his place in this thread. Nothing wrong, great guy I'm sure, in fact I love you all!

But I just don't think it's Atlanta Dining. Start a rural Georgia dining thread. Or go post in the Walking Dead thread in TVIV. I hear they serve charcuterie and offal.

There are so many amazing places inside Atlanta that it's just incredibly frustrating when people bring up something and it's an hour+ away drive. That's not Atlanta. It may be amazing, but it's a different city. Start a different thread, as I joked, or make some southeast dining thread. Or if you want to compliment a guy's cooking, post in the industry thread.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY
Ammazza just opened up in the Old 4th Ward last night, I had a chance to go try some of their pizza. Fantastic.

Such a neat place, and I believe they get their liquor license today! Woo!

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007

Webbeh posted:

Ammazza just opened up in the Old 4th Ward last night, I had a chance to go try some of their pizza. Fantastic.

Such a neat place, and I believe they get their liquor license today! Woo!

I drive by that place every day on my way home from work. I will have to stop by one night this week. If only to wait for traffic to die down a bit.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

what is this posted:

There are so many amazing places inside Atlanta that it's just incredibly frustrating when people bring up something and it's an hour+ away drive. That's not Atlanta. It may be amazing, but it's a different city. Start a different thread, as I joked, or make some southeast dining thread. Or if you want to compliment a guy's cooking, post in the industry thread.
I wish I didn't agree, since I want goons to have all the accolades for good food, but yeah. Whenever people start referencing places like that I get all excited, only to be crushed when I find out it's outside the perimeter. poo poo, I'm pretty unwilling to go very far away from Decatur, much less OTP.

However, I'd be fine with it as long as it's the first thing said about a place so that we don't get our hopes up. Like, "This place is way the gently caress outside of Atlanta and it's called..." Mainly because a separate thread for OTP/North Georgia stuff would almost certaily languish and die.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Oh god I'm sorry I took a motorcycle ride out to King Skinny Pimp's coffee shop and then complimented her on it.

Edit: I edited my previous post to let everyone know not to get their hopes up.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Sep 25, 2012

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
oh he's a girl, this changes everything :swoon:

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
Whoa dudes sorry for making GBS threads up the thread by mentioning the little podunk town I work in. Won't happen again, promise!

I agree with Zenzirouj about a 'places in north Georgia other than Atlanta dining thread.' It really would just die. There are only so many restaurants in Athens and then the rest of them are few and far between. Oh well.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
My friend has a restaurant in Clarkesville, but he's a guy, so who cares?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

venutolo posted:

My friend has a restaurant in Clarkesville, but he's a guy, so who cares?

Safety Dance posted:

Warning! The restaurant in this post is well outside of the Atlanta Metropolitan Statistical Area. Be prepared to drive an hour or more if you want to eat or drink there.

Is it a good or otherwise noteworthy restaurant in Clarkesville?

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Safety Dance posted:

Is it a good or otherwise noteworthy restaurant in Clarkesville?

It is noteworthy to me because my friend owns/runs it and is the chef. I have no idea if it is good. http://www.thecopperpotrestaurant.com/

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur
Not noteworthy. I know Fred Castelucci really well and I'm not constantly posting about his OTP restaurants.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

what is this posted:

Not noteworthy. I know Fred Castelucci really well and I'm not constantly posting about his OTP restaurants.

Please give me the hookup on the charcuterķa at The Iberian Pig. That poo poo is so good.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
apparently bourdain is filming an atlanta episode

#crosspost http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3465868&pagenumber=129#lastpost

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

he was at octane (grant park i think) earlier today too, apparently

angst emotion
Mar 14, 2007
whut iz truf?
He was at Octopus Bar around midnight, too. The lights were all on, too- being able to actually see in there was weird.

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

godzirra will trample your scrotum
Insane. We tried to go to holeman and finch last night around 8pm for my brothers birthday, but the 2+ hour wait turned us off. Man that would have been awesome, drat.

nicad
Feb 21, 2004

angst emotion posted:

He was at Octopus Bar around midnight, too. The lights were all on, too- being able to actually see in there was weird.

yup. It was a little strange. You were there?

Word on the street is he will be at MJQ and clermont tonight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

nicad posted:

yup. It was a little strange. You were there?

Word on the street is he will be at MJQ and clermont tonight

Apparently he has been to the following places (probably not a complete list): Octopus Bar, Octane Coffee, Little Tart Bakeshop, Holeman & Finch, Star Provisions, Sweet Auburn Curb Market, Home Grown, Taco Veloz.

Anyway, The Optimist has been name (one of?) Esquire's best new restaurant(s?). I've only been once, but I loved it and am happy for ATL food.