Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

Valiant III :toot:

This is a good thing, because I use it often on multiple characters and to great effectiveness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Geez, so many people name their characters. I had no idea it was that popular. Nobody can even see what they are, so why do you bother? I think I only actually named my first guy, then when I realized nobody could tell how clever I was I just started button mashing to get the naming part over with. I think it's really stupid that it's mandatory but nobody can see it.

So most of my guys are named some variation of 'tgvf-'

EDIT: I always feel like such a poo poo contacting support for the Commendation packs. It's always Anil, or Anwar, or something Middle Eastern sounding. My point being these guys probably have legitimate problems in their lives and here I am asking for my free video game guns. They must roll their eyes 60 times an hour.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Sep 12, 2012

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

TacticalGranny posted:

Valiant III :toot:

This is a good thing, because I use it often on multiple characters and to great effectiveness.

Like what? I really need an idea of what to do with mine.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

ACanofPepsi posted:

Geez, so many people name their characters. I had no idea it was that popular. Nobody can even see what they are, so why do you bother? I think I only actually named my first guy, then when I realized nobody could tell how clever I was I just started button mashing to get the naming part over with. I think it's really stupid that it's mandatory but nobody can see it.

So most of my guys are named some variation of 'tgvf-'

Naming is purely for your own personal amusement. Have you ever named a character in a singleplayer game even though only you will see it? A clever name really ties the whole character together.

VJeff posted:

Oh yeah, I noticed a couple of times I just straight-up blew a Marauder's head off when I took my time with the shot. But I'm much more used to just unloading like a crazy person after I cloak and fire my prox mine. The Pirahna has spoiled me. :v:

I'm actually quite glad it occupies a very different niche from the Pirahna.

Yeah that's the great thing about the Crusader even if it's not the best gun there's really nothing else in the game that's like it.

Edit: Eagle IV! :suicide:

Lagomorphic fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Sep 12, 2012

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

I got a Crusader II :smith:. It's no Eagle, but I don't really play with shotguns very often.

As for using the Valiant, I love it with my Asari Adept. Group singularity -> Headshot x3. I also use it for my non-melee Infiltrator classes. However, I'm no pro player or anything so YMMV.

Some dude in a platinum match last night said I should use the Crusader instead of the Valiant. However, we had a 5 minute conversation where he insisted I was playing a Justicar not an Adept, so I don't know what to think about that...

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Paracelsus posted:

Having gotten both of them recently myself, don't expect to get the same kind of damage output from the Hurricane at anything other than point-blank range. Even then the Harrier is probably superior.

The Harrier and Hurricane have practically identical damage profiles. Similar damage per shot, similar ROF, and same clip size. The Hurricane only looks and sounds like it is firing 1200 rounds per minute from a 40 shot clip. In reality it fires 600 shots per minute, but uses 2 ammunition per shot, does double the damage of any other SMG, and plays a hilarious BRRRAP noise to make it sound faster (most people say it sounds like farting).

The Harrier has more favorable handling characteristics, because of its high accuracy and very low recoil, especially outside of cover. The Hurricane is actually pretty accurate for a SMG, as you can tell from the small crosshair size when you zoom in. The recoil is obviously punishing, but honestly if you use it enough, you get used to it. The Hurricane recoils A LOT, but it does so in a very consistent way, straight upwards. You just have to learn the right pace at which to drag the mouse downwards, and then you'll be putting long bursts right on target. The Turian racial passive, which gives a stability bonus, has great synergy with the Hurricane. Firing from cover also helps a great deal, as does firing in staccato bursts. I've used both guns quite a bit, and I find that the only situation where the Harrier is clearly better is with very long sight lines.

As to the Harrier's main weakness, the limited ammo pool, the Hurricane carries a bit more than 50% more ammunition at any given level (after accounting for its doubled ammo usage, of course). For weapon mods, I think the Hurricane has a clear advantage. The heat sink, which is unique to SMGs, gives you a 45% chance to use no ammo on each shot you fire. This not only lengthens each clip, but it also lets you stretch your whole ammo pool that farther, which means you're not chained to the ammo box like you would be with the Harrier. The Hurricane also has the high velocity barrel, which won't penetrate cover as thick as the same mod for assault rifles will, but ignores a ridiculous 90% of damage reduction from armor. Finally, the Hurricane weighs less than half what a Harrier does, meaning it can be used by basically any class without much disruption to casting.

The Harrier is better at a few things, which makes it more attractive for certain builds, but in terms of general utility and versatility I think the Hurricane is better.

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

THANKS FOR MAKING ME SPEND MONEY, T
HURRICANE I FINALLY :bubblewoop:

I don't even know what would be best to do with this now, I used to run it with a Crusader in SP but now i don't even

EDIT: Just saw the post above, whoops

Gonna go try it with JAREL AEGIAN, my Turian Sentinel etc.

Doc Dee fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Sep 12, 2012

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Sometimes, a man just needs to get his Rock off.
Slayer is so fun, and so powerful, but dies so easily. :gonk:

Is his heavy melee always a one-hit kill on humanoid enemies? If so I figure I'm wasting points in melee damage.

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

Demitri Omni posted:

Is his heavy melee always a one-hit kill on humanoid enemies? If so I figure I'm wasting points in melee damage.

Nah, it IS very strong though.

Blompkin
Mar 31, 2006

Take care
Valiant I

Now if I could only aim....

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Blompkin posted:

Valiant I

Now if I could only aim....

Well, here's the thing. The Valiant is often looked on as "the sniper rifle for people who can't aim". Put simply, you can get so many shots off so quickly, that if you can touch ammo boxes every once in a while it doesn't matter if you're not getting headshots, because you're still pumping out the damage. Headshots are better of course, but headshots are better for every weapon. (Hell, did you see the Graal's new headshot multiplier? :allears:) So don't worry too much about it and just slap it on some class that doesn't mind having "only" +110% recharge speed.

Eckertmania
May 11, 2007

"'Hey, a computer took your place, daddy.' That's hard times! That's hard times!"
Eagle IV :downsgun:

I would like to get a Hurricane at some point here, Bioware. Why do you hate me?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

VJeff posted:

Oh yeah, I noticed a couple of times I just straight-up blew a Marauder's head off when I took my time with the shot. But I'm much more used to just unloading like a crazy person after I cloak and fire my prox mine. The Pirahna has spoiled me. :v:

I'm actually quite glad it occupies a very different niche from the Pirahna.

This is exactly why I hated the Crusader at first. When I use a shotgun, I want a gun that I aim in the general direction of someone and put all of the lead into the air. The Crusader is a very different kettle of fish.

Highly, highly powerful, fast firing, fast reloading, but not at all a traditional shotgun.

The New Black
Oct 1, 2006

Had it, lost it.

Doc Dee posted:

HURRICANE I FINALLY :bubblewoop:

Same! Flipping finally. It's everything I dreamed of. Then I got a couple of PSPs and upgraded my Paladin and Particle Rifle. It was a good evening.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Demitri Omni posted:

You're wasting points putting anything into melee. I run 6/6/6/6/0 and I'm very happy with it. 6/6/6/4/4 is viable if you want to be a little tougher but I find 200% cooldown + ABC more than compensates.

Things you want to be doing: phase disruptor, phase disruptor, phase disruptor, charge, teleport away, phase disruptor until everything is dead. If there's a turret or anything that'll shred you before you can do that, hide behind a wall and biotic slash. Properly specced, it hits like a freight train. Will 1-hit trash enemies on gold.

Melee is too slow for the damage you're getting out of it.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Melee is too slow for the damage you're getting out of it.

Melee's more fun though. :colbert:

Okay I lied, Phase Disruptor is actually just as fun. So much beautiful stagger. :allears:

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Felinoid posted:

Melee's more fun though. :colbert:
Nope. Properly played ABC has you rocketing around at sub-light speed, smashing into people like a loonie then teleporting through a wall and blowing them up with your palm laser. It's not that melee's not fun, it's that regular slayer is so much more fun. This was the spice I needed to keep playing. It's just that good.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
It's perfectly fine to go Fitness on your N7guard if Slash isn't your thing. As long as you aren't planning on fighting Geth you'll do fine without Slash and both the light melee DR and the heavy melee teleport can be situationally useful in a number of ways.

You really need Slash against Geth though, it's too useful to pass up and you can't fight them the same way because Geth B will stagger you with crossfire while you're staggering Geth A.

Elotana fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Sep 12, 2012

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

That's pretty much why my first build for the Slayer was 6/5/5/5/5. IT'S ALL FUN

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Lagomorphic posted:

Naming is purely for your own personal amusement. Have you ever named a character in a singleplayer game even though only you will see it? A clever name really ties the whole character together.

I don't know why some people have such a problem with the fact that other players can't see what you name your character. I mean, sure, it would definitely add a little zest to the game, seeing everyone's individual character names, but just because that isn't true doesn't mean naming MP characters has to be a chore.

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

Luceo posted:

Like what? I really need an idea of what to do with mine.

The wonderful things about the Valiant:
1. Zero recoil. There is no discernable muzzle rise, so if you have a steady hand, follow-up shots are a breeze.
2. Reload speed. It may only hold three shots, but it reloads so fast (as fast or faster than many assault rifles) that you can crank out two clips in the same amount of time as a Black Widow without reload cancelling.

I will say that it starts to hit the limit at Gold - even headshots will have difficulty downing some mobs. That being said, I use it primarily on Bronze and Silver, and stick to the Black Widow or heavy single shots on Gold. Silver matches are my preference because they're low stress without being boring like Bronze. On Silver versus any enemy faction, you are a head-popping murder machine.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I basically don't think I would care about having to rename my characters every promote if it weren't for the fact that I'm on 360, and thus, have an OSK. I'm not plugging in a keyboard every time I promote a character to the console's USB ports.

If I were on PC I would literally not give any poo poo at all ever. As it stands this is about 0.0002 microshits.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

Mother loving Eagle V

I still maintain that one day bioware will buff the eagle and we will all be laughing, but until then :shepicide:

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Gangringo posted:

Mother loving Eagle V

I still maintain that one day bioware will buff the eagle and we will all be laughing, but until then :shepicide:

It's already been buffed twice.

:smith:

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Crusader V. Glad they've buffed it.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

Increase the Eagle's base damage to the same as the Phalanx.

Boom, Eagle is fixed.

Reacean
Nov 29, 2004

Yep, too bad I've graduated beyond snipers, I'm so incredibly hooked now on the N7 Paladin with just how aggressive I can play. More-so even than I feel I can play a Kroguard.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

TacticalGranny posted:

The wonderful things about the Valiant:
1. Zero recoil. There is no discernable muzzle rise, so if you have a steady hand, follow-up shots are a breeze.
2. Reload speed. It may only hold three shots, but it reloads so fast (as fast or faster than many assault rifles) that you can crank out two clips in the same amount of time as a Black Widow without reload cancelling.

I will say that it starts to hit the limit at Gold - even headshots will have difficulty downing some mobs. That being said, I use it primarily on Bronze and Silver, and stick to the Black Widow or heavy single shots on Gold. Silver matches are my preference because they're low stress without being boring like Bronze. On Silver versus any enemy faction, you are a head-popping murder machine.
You just need the vulnerability VI 5 gear and an extended barrel V for it to work on gold. I get 1-shot headshots on most unshielded enemies with EB5, Armour Piercing 5, VVI5 and a valiant II.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Gangringo posted:

Increase the Eagle's base damage to the same as the Phalanx.

Boom, Eagle is fixed.

Agreed that it'd help a lot but I'd like to see it break the mold much like the Talon (shotgun in pistol slot) - make the Eagle a better gun, absolutely, but also make it special in some way. Not just more damage per bullet. I'm not sure how, but just something that makes it not Just Another Auto Weapon.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Hurricane.

For someone wit an N7 rank of 28, this makes me very happy, its literally the best gun I have right now.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
My thesis proposal was due on Monday, so I couldn't participate in the mission over the weekend. :smith: No commendation for me.

Speaking of farming, though, anyone up for tackling Gold or Platinum, farming or otherwise? I'm getting pretty good at holding my own in Gold with Ahab, my Batarian Sentinel with Kishock IX, but I've been trying to make the jump to Plat recently with some success. Justicar with a Hurricane I and Acolyte II seems to be doing halfway decent there, but I'd love to put in some more practice with goons who can give me critique or suggest builds. My manifest yet again, and my Origin ID is Mesnomer.

Also, is a Valiant I even worth using, or should I stick with more upgraded common/uncommon rifles?

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

Alteisen posted:

Hurricane.

For someone wit an N7 rank of 28, this makes me very happy, its literally the best gun I have right now.

I hate you just a little right now. I've been wanting the Hurricane since before my first Op weekend D:

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?
Me too. Still at least I have a valiant now.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Also, is a Valiant I even worth using, or should I stick with more upgraded common/uncommon rifles?

Yes, even at I it's a very good sniper rifle. If you have a Black Widow that's about its only competition, and the difference between the two, IMO, comes down to personal preference.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I still haven't gotten my Commendation Pack yet... I'm a little worried. I'll pester EA Customer Support tomorrow if it still isn't there. Can't wait to get my Eagle IV!

Psion posted:

If I were on PC I would literally not give any poo poo at all ever. As it stands this is about 0.0002 microshits.

Or .2 nanoshits! :eng101:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I decided to take my Kishock QFI out for a spin with the Crusader instead of Kishock now that it's gotten a buff. It's pretty good at long range - well, long enough that you can aim easily and short enough you can still see the heads to pop. I'm not sure it's as good as the Kishock which is just hilarious.

Really weak against Phantoms without some sort of close quarters backup gun. Next time I'm gonna equip a Hurricane.

Maybe it'd be better if I didn't suck with the Crusader up close but oh, do I.

this is against Cerberus, for what it's worth.

Psion fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Sep 13, 2012

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The Crusader isn't a short range weapon. You can use it as one in a pinch if you can still get headshots without taking the time to aim much, but it doesn't appear to have a spread and I'm honestly not sure if it even fires multiple projectiles, since it seems to be affected by the shield gate. It's basically just a laser-accurate slug shotgun, or a scopeless Barrett .50 Cal or whatever you want to compare it to. But it's not generally something I would take with another weapon, since you can sort of use it for any range you want. Best use I've found for it is Gethineer, since you can make use of its amazing penetrating ability with Hunter Mode and use Overload to get past shields before one-shotting enemies with a headshot.

Got a Valiant I for my pack. Seems alright on Silver but I think it would take a pretty specific setup to be very good on Gold.

ACanofPepsi posted:

Geez, so many people name their characters. I had no idea it was that popular. Nobody can even see what they are, so why do you bother?

Is your Shepard's first name always just a number or something?

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Is your Shepard's first name always just a number or something?

I tend to name my Shepard "Good". :shepface:

Should my medigel capacity be higher? I could've sworn I've been around for ops that supposedly increased them, and have gotten things to increase capacity, but I'm still sitting at 2. Have been for quite some time.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Psion posted:

Agreed that it'd help a lot but I'd like to see it break the mold much like the Talon (shotgun in pistol slot) - make the Eagle a better gun, absolutely, but also make it special in some way. Not just more damage per bullet. I'm not sure how, but just something that makes it not Just Another Auto Weapon.

Give it the same base damage as the Phalanx but instead of it being automatic, make it fire in rapid bursts and give it innate cover piercing.

Also my pack had a Hurricane 2. :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Eagle 3. Fffffff

• Locked thread