Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

CravingSolace posted:

Also, when did your OB start checking your cervix? I've heard mixed answers. I'm wondering if they'll check me at my next appointment on Tuesday.

They don't necessarily *need* to check your cervix. At my birth center, the midwives don't check unless you want them to. I didn't. My first check was after I had already been having contractions all morning, and I was 5 cms. Everybody's labor is different. Some people take days to get to 10 cm, and then push the baby out in like 15 minutes. For me, dilating was [relatively] easy, and then I spent an eternity pushing out the little dude. I don't think having more detailed information about how much I was dilated would have helped move things along any faster or easier.

Those last few weeks, it can be hard to not freak out. My first piece of advice is to line up your private lactation consultant now, and not to hesitate at all to call her in when you need her. Also, practice going to your "happy place" and/or meditation, and practice consciously relaxing both your mind and your body. That second thing was useful during labor, but also hugely helpful when dealing with the challenges of early parenthood - like that first post-labor poop, relaxing during breastfeeding, and ignoring the dumbass advice from strangers and family members.

MoCookies fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Sep 9, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012

Chandrika posted:

Are you sure? That's 256 ounces of water a day, assuming you're up for 16 hours.

Edit: "The Institute of Medicine recommends that pregnant women drink 2.3 liters (about 10 cups) of fluids daily and women who breast-feed consume 3.1 liters (about 13 cups) of fluids a day." That works out to 77 ounces, approximately 1/3 what you've been recommended.

Oh. O_O

At least I'm well-hydrated, I guess. Holy crap. Maybe it's because I live in AZ? Do they want me to drink more because of the heat? Because that seems excessive.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

CravingSolace posted:

Oh. O_O

At least I'm well-hydrated, I guess. Holy crap. Maybe it's because I live in AZ? Do they want me to drink more because of the heat? Because that seems excessive.

I was told to drink 20 ounces every 2 hours because of the heat in Georgia and because my urine was dehydrated. Maybe your tests were similar? If not, that's kind of insane, I wonder if that nurse knows what water intoxication is.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Are there any good "babies for dummies" type of books out there? Especially for people that tend to be more on the granola side of things and not ones too reactionary. We're going to sign up for a new parents class, but it would be nice to have a book to refer to for the first year for all those dumb little things you don't know and not constantly running to google to find the answer. My husband and I have zero experience taking care of a baby. Both of our siblings were born when we were still pretty much toddlers and we never had close family members or friends with babies.

My husband asked me yesterday when babies get their first teeth and I realized I had no clue. I should probably start reading up. We've had all the big talks about parenting styles, nutrition, etc, but realized none of us know the mechanical basics.

Alterian fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Sep 11, 2012

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
Honestly, babycenter.com has a sign up where you put your baby's birthdate in, and they send you weekly emails with stuff like "is your baby crawling yet?, most babies crawl between 8-10 months but if your kid doesn't he's still totally normal and blahaljvapofia;dnerfav;l" It is kinda helpful for the little stuff like teeth and clapping hands and such.

As far as other 'mechanics' of having a baby, where are you? You can come to my place and change a diaper and get teethed on.

EDIT: changed "baby.com" to "babycenter.com"

Amykinz fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Sep 11, 2012

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012

Stairs posted:

I was told to drink 20 ounces every 2 hours because of the heat in Georgia and because my urine was dehydrated. Maybe your tests were similar? If not, that's kind of insane, I wonder if that nurse knows what water intoxication is.

Actually, I was diagnosed as very dehydrated a few times so that's entirely possible. Since I started drinking as much as they told me to, my urine tests have come back fine.

I'm at the point, however, where the rib pain is radiating to my mid and upper back and there's no relief. I spent about half-an-hour sitting in a hot bath just bawling my eyes out. The only thing that helps is either swimming or leaning against a wall and shifting from side-to-side. It leaves me feeling so defeated.

My husband's cousin is a nurse and said it's very possible that I'm having contractions and just feeling them in my back. She wanted me to go get monitored at the hospital, but since I have a non stress test tomorrow morning, I'm going to wait. The baby is still very active, so I don't think I'm in danger at the moment. Just excruciating pain.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Alterian posted:

Are there any good "babies for dummies" type of books out there? Especially for people that tend to be more on the granola side of things and not ones too reactionary. We're going to sign up for a new parents class, but it would be nice to have a book to refer to for the first year for all those dumb little things you don't know and not constantly running to google to find the answer. My husband and I have zero experience taking care of a baby. Both of our siblings were born when we were still pretty much toddlers and we never had close family members or friends with babies.

My husband asked me yesterday when babies get their first teeth and I realized I had no clue. I should probably start reading up. We've had all the big talks about parenting styles, nutrition, etc, but realized none of us know the mechanical basics.

The internet. mothering.com is good for crunchy granola types.

Lucha Luch
Feb 25, 2007

Mr. Squeakers coming off the top rope!

Alterian posted:

I'm kind of in the same boat. I didn't really interact with my nieces and nephews until they were around 3-4 months old because I just didn't live that close to my siblings, so I have no idea about newborns. I'm terrified of doing something wrong, not swaddling correctly, not burping right, not breastfeeding right, and then all the terror of breast pumps and what the best one to get is and and and

I'm only 13 weeks along and already this kid is doing my head in.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

A good resource for anything and everything nursing related is http://www.kellymom.com

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
I really recommend Baby 411 for ease of use. Honestly, you could just go to your library, browse their books, and see if you see something you like that's been updated within the past year.

edit: Everyone gets scared over those same things! Swaddling isn't hard, they make little sacks that velcro together now. If you can velcro a shoe, you can swaddle your baby. :) There are also new ones called swaddlepods that just zip right up the front--I think Bamzilla used them? For burping, there are a billion different methods. Some people rub, some people wallop (you really won't hurt the baby--I used to try it on my cheek to reassure myself that it wasn't painful), some people do over-the-shoulder, and some people sit the baby in their lap, lean them forward (supporting the face with one hand), and pat their back.

You can see if your hospital has a breastfeeding course and a lactation consultant available to meet with! I also looked up videos on youtube. You can ask for advice here, bookmark Kellymom because it's the best resource around.

People have different opinions on pumps. Do you need one for going back to work, or for the occasional bottle?

I always sound like a shill for them, but it I were you, I'd run out to the library or bookstore and check out Pregnancy 411, Baby 411, and the newest edition of Baby Bargains. Baby Bargains will make your shopping WAY easier. It's like a Consumer Reports book for everything baby.

Ben Davis fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Sep 11, 2012

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Ben Davis posted:

edit: Everyone gets scared over those same things! Swaddling isn't hard, they make little sacks that velcro together now. If you can velcro a shoe, you can swaddle your baby. :) There are also new ones called swaddlepods that just zip right up the front--I think Bamzilla used them?

yesss Swaddlepods are amazing. http://www.amazon.com/Summer-Infant...ords=swaddlepod

Great if your kid breaks out of swaddles easily. There is also something called a "Wombie" which is really just an overpriced version of the above. I'd also recommend the Halo sleep sack with the velcro wrap around. Both of my kids kick(ed) their legs a lot while swaddled so the regular swaddlers and blanket swaddles didn't hold up well for long periods of time.

Helanna
Feb 1, 2007

On the swaddling front though, not all babies like it; don't buy loads of special swaddle blankets until you know! I expected to be swaddling my baby, but she screamed if wrapped up, whereas she was delighted kicking around. Since birth she has slept in a starfish sprawl, so swaddle blankets wasted on her.

Edit: I found this really interesting : http://mothering.com/parenting/the-question-of-routine-swaddling

Helanna fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Sep 11, 2012

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012
Question! And panicking!

I got my cervix checked today, and I'm 3cm dilated. I asked my OB if it was safe to go to my baby shower this weekend, seeing as how it's 1.5 hrs away. He basically shrugged and said, "I don't know. Probably. I've seen women stay at 3cm for months. And they have good hospitals there."

THAT'S NOT AN ANSWER.

I have no idea what to do. My MIL put a lot of work into this shower, and if I don't go and I don't go into labor, I'll feel awful.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
There is no proven correlation between how dilated or effaced you are and when you will go into labor. Go and enjoy. :)

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012

skeetied posted:

There is no proven correlation between how dilated or effaced you are and when you will go into labor. Go and enjoy. :)

Okay. Thank you! He wouldn't really elaborate on anything, and it left me a nervous wreck.

ChloroformSeduction
Sep 3, 2006

THERE'S NO CURE FOR BEING A CUNT, SO PLEASE KEEP REMINDING ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Alterian posted:

The nurses at the hospital showed me how to change diapers, give baths, etc. I had no idea what I was supposed to do with a baby, but he's still alive, so I haven't messed it up too badly. I tried taking a prenatal class, but it was all about labour, and nothing to do with diapers or anything, so I stopped taking it. I'm assuming that there are some that deal with it.

Family members if available are handy, but I have some friends with no nearby family who hired a postpartum doula to help them with that stuff. Depending on your budget, that could be an option.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

skeetied posted:

Aside from this, even if you DID go into labor, you'll be in labor for a really long time, so there would usually be plenty of time to drive back to your hospital of choice.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

What's considered "routine"? I guess if you just swaddle your kid and dump them in a crib and leave for hours then yea that's pretty damaging.

bamzilla fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Sep 12, 2012

Mangue
Aug 3, 2007

CravingSolace posted:

I'm at the point, however, where the rib pain is radiating to my mid and upper back and there's no relief. I spent about half-an-hour sitting in a hot bath just bawling my eyes out. The only thing that helps is either swimming or leaning against a wall and shifting from side-to-side. It leaves me feeling so defeated.

My husband's cousin is a nurse and said it's very possible that I'm having contractions and just feeling them in my back.

This is entirely possible. The day before I was "induced" for PIH I was having pretty severe back pain that was only partially relieved from showers/warm baths. I say "induced" because looking back, I was probably in the very early stages of labor and thus I was more likely augmented.

For me, contractions made it difficult to breathe and made my back feel like it was being twisted into knots, if that makes sense. Either way, best of luck! Hopefully your little one comes sooner rather than later!

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

I've been putting off joining this thread again for completely irrational reasons. After miscarrying in June, I'm now 7 weeks pregnant. After a scare with lots of bleeding at 5 weeks I was diagnosed with a subchorionic hemorrhage. As recently as the 6 week ultrasound I was certain I was going to lose this pregnancy too, but we actually saw a fetal pole and a heart beat (and a larger SCH). It looks like this one is gonna try to stick around. Because of the SCH getting larger and my bleeding getting about as bad as a period last week just from going to classes my doc has put me on bed rest for the time being.

I'm currently nearing a week on bed rest and dealing with pretty wicked morning sickness, so it's a fun time!

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012

Mnemosyne posted:

Aside from this, even if you DID go into labor, you'll be in labor for a really long time, so there would usually be plenty of time to drive back to your hospital of choice.

My only concern about this is that my mom had very quick labors. She was in labor with me for all of 3hrs, 2 hrs with my younger sister, and after being induced with my youngest sister, she was ready to push a few hours later. So, if I'm anything like my mom, I'll have just enough time to make it back to my hospital.

Sitrus
Feb 17, 2009

Mnemosyne posted:

Some people do have fast labours. I barely made it to the hospital (10 minutes away). I went in because my waters broke. My son was born after 2 contractions. :) I was at the hospital about 15 to 20 minutes after my waters broke. Everybody is different. But in saying that go to your baby shower. I am sure they have nice hospitals in that area too. There is no way of knowing exactly when you will go into labour unless you are induced of course or have a c - section ;)

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012

Sitrus posted:

Some people do have fast labours. I barely made it to the hospital (10 minutes away). I went in because my waters broke. My son was born after 2 contractions. :) I was at the hospital about 15 to 20 minutes after my waters broke. Everybody is different. But in saying that go to your baby shower. I am sure they have nice hospitals in that area too. There is no way of knowing exactly when you will go into labour unless you are induced of course or have a c - section ;)

From what I've heard, they do have good hospitals in the area so I'm sure I'd be okay. I'm packing my hospital bag for the trip, just in case. I've been feeling kind of off today. Very uncomfortable, yes, but it's more than just back pain. I can't tell if I'm having braxton hicks or not. My sides tighten, sometimes painfully, and I might have some low-down cramping, but it's not consistent. I also haven't lost my mucus plug yet.

I have a non-stress test on Friday before we leave, so if I'm contracting I'm sure it'll show. My husband's cousin is a doctor and will be at the baby shower on Saturday, so if I'm feeling concerned he may be able to help out.

I'm excited to be dilating and I'm anxious at the same time.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...
Maybe bringing your hospital bag will work like taking an umbrella when you go for a walk, and guarantee you won't need it? Make sure you mention what's going on when you're in on Friday.

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012
I definitely will. My non-stress test nurse has actually been more proactive than my OB, and I adore her.

I'm leaning towards what I'm feeling being braxton hicks, because after I took a nap, they went away. If they were real contractions I think they'd be more consistent.

I also called my physician (who will also be my son's pediatrician) and was given the go-ahead to breastfeed. I was concerned I wouldn't be able to with the meds that I'm on, but he says it's not a problem. So, I'm very relieved about that. :)

One thing I'm wondering about though, is that I haven't started leaking any colostrum. Do some women not start leaking until after the birth?

Grayscale Rainbow
Oct 17, 2009

CravingSolace posted:

One thing I'm wondering about though, is that I haven't started leaking any colostrum. Do some women not start leaking until after the birth?

I never leaked any colostrum before giving birth and had no problems breastfeeding. My son is nearly 10 months old and we're still going strong.

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012
I can't tell if I'm having contractions or not.

My upper back is still in pain, but I'm cramping down low. It's uncomfortable, but not necessarily painful. I'm chugging water now just in case it's dehydration. I'm hoping to at least stick it out until my non-stress test on Friday so I can know for sure. My husband is working tonight and I'd hate to call and ask him to take me to labor and delivery for nothing.

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012

Is there any regularity to them? How close together are they and for how long do they last? It does sound like it could be contractions to me, if it feels crampy.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

CravingSolace posted:

I can't tell if I'm having contractions or not.

My upper back is still in pain, but I'm cramping down low. It's uncomfortable, but not necessarily painful. I'm chugging water now just in case it's dehydration. I'm hoping to at least stick it out until my non-stress test on Friday so I can know for sure. My husband is working tonight and I'd hate to call and ask him to take me to labor and delivery for nothing.

My midwife recommended a hot bath and a small glass of wine in that situation (plus a lot of water, which you're already doing). If they slow down or go away, it's not the real thing yet.

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012
They were coming every few minutes, but wouldn't last long when they did. I finally fell asleep and they stopped by the time I woke up.

I spoke to a friend of my husband's who used to be a doula, and told her about the back pain. She described the area I felt them in perfectly and said they were most likely contractions and I'll feel most of my labor in my back. She also said if the pelvic cramping wasn't consistent, then not to read too much into it.

I also haven't lost my mucus plug yet (I believe), and I read that you lose that before you go into labor.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum

CravingSolace posted:

I also haven't lost my mucus plug yet (I believe), and I read that you lose that before you go into labor.

It's not always the case.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

I wouldn't rely on losing the mucus plug, or noticing that you've lost it, as a sign of labor. The contractions stopping after you lie down a bit sounds like they aren't full-on labor, but I'd call the nurse.

...which I'm doing this morning as well. Passed a weird sleepless night and in the morning found I was lying in a bit of a puddle, which could just be sweat or could be amniotic fluid from a slow leak. Yaaay. I've been sick and I'm so sleepless and dazed right now I can't tell a back-ache from a contraction, and I think I have to make the embarrassing phone call to say "hey I'm a dimwit who can't tell if I'm sweating or having a baby." (Wetness hasn't continued noticeably, which suggests it's not amniotic fluid, but my daughter was born after a surprise water-breaking at 37 weeks, after a similarly weird and sleepless night, so I'm a little paranoid.)

Andrias Scheuchzeri fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Sep 13, 2012

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012

Awesome Kristin posted:

It's not always the case.

I'm going to try my best to make it through today, but I pretty much have labor and delivery on speed-dial, so if I start cramping again, I'll give them a ring. My husband and MIL keep telling me that I'll instinctually know when I'm in labor, but I'm not so sure. It's very frustrating.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum

CravingSolace posted:

I'm going to try my best to make it through today, but I pretty much have labor and delivery on speed-dial, so if I start cramping again, I'll give them a ring. My husband and MIL keep telling me that I'll instinctually know when I'm in labor, but I'm not so sure. It's very frustrating.

When I went into labor it was barely more painful than BH contractions. I felt them more while laying down, and they weren't even noticeable at first while I was up getting ready to go to the hospital. I had timed them while laying down and was starting to moan a little when they came, so I sort of knew it was time. I still was a bit unsure though.

I went in when they were 3-4 mins apart and had to have a c-section because my bag was bulging and he was breach.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

CravingSolace posted:

I had mild contractions and my water had a slow leak. The hospital "let me try" to labor for 4 hours because they thought the contractions weren't strong enough. I had no clue either. I was at seven cm and in transition when they checked me again to see if I'd made any progress. The only thing I instinctively knew was when pushing started.

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010
So my wife went and got another test and it came back negative which means for 2 weeks there is a 99% she will not go into labor. She since then has seen a different doctor and her main doctor's assistant. They have all given us different reports. The other doctor says she doesn't need to be on bed rest and can go back to work. That being on bed rest doesn't help one bit because the baby will be born regardless of what we do. Then the assistant says that she is on a modified bed rest and can move around. Should we consider the other doctor's inputs or just listen to her main doctor?

All the doctors looked at her 3rd ultra sound and said different opinions. They did say they wanted a 4th because they couldn't tell if something was on the baby's kidney. They looked and found nothing saying it was just a shadow. What was shocking to us was what the technician said. He said my wife wants to start dilating now and slowly increase. Also that it is good she is thinning and should keep thinning. He said this will make the birthing process easier, so that everything isn't opening suddenly. Is that true?

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

Fixit, what was the cause for seeing different doctors, and what kind of test did they do? I mean...it's not like anyone here can really give a medical recommendation about bed rest, but for sorting through the different advice you need to take into account what you saw the doctors for. As for the cervix--it's common for the cervix to thin in preparation for labor. Here's a page about cervical effacement: http://www.americanpregnancy.org/labornbirth/effacement.html

As far as my post upthread, turned out to be a big nothing. Embarrassing waste of a morning. I'm feeling pretty silly, no matter how many times my husband and the nurse said "no, no, seriously, it's fine to get things checked out."

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010
The cause for seeing different doctors was her main doctor was unavailable. My apologies I worded that question bad. I have learned to question doctors (to a certain degree) but when doctors challenge each other, mind blown. Wife says to stick with her main doctor's advice because she has been there the whole time. Although it confuses the both of us why other doctors would contradict her main doctor. Thank you for the cervix info, that really helps me understand what is going on.

The test they did is called fetal fibrenectin

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012
My husband's friend is going to buy me a prenatal massage as a baby shower gift. Since the shower is this weekend, I'll book the appointment for next week.

My husband is also buying me one of those exercise balls to bounce on since that helps me feel better. I have my non-stress test tomorrow, so I'll also see if I'm actually contracting or just experiencing some nasty braxton hicks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

So my girlfriend just texted me a picture of a positive test and called me to talk about it. We're wondering about the posibility of false positives. She's got one kid right now, so she's been down this path before, but I'm new to it. She plans to take a second test in a couple days. Should I make sure she goes to a doctor regardless of what the results of the second test are? I'm assuming the obvious answer is yes.

Not entirely sure what to think as this is all new to me. Here's a backstory that gives more insight on the confusion:

We started having sex a month ago (long story short we've admired each other for a year but only just recently got together when we both became single). Her period is irregular due to one of this inserted birth control devices..not sure the name of it. The device has a 5 year span, but has been in her for 7 years. She stated her periods sometimes are irregular, but we wanted to be sure. She took a test (2 weeks after period due) and it was negative. She took a second test later and it came up negative.

Recently, she started having some morning sickness and mood swings and the like so she nervously took another test tonight. It came up with a positive.

Not sure what to think with this. First we get a negative now a positive. Obviously the doctor is the best answer..I'm just sitting here trying to wrap my mind around it I guess since it just happened.