Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I'm making some 48 hour pork chops in a vinegar-based barbecue sauce. I know ribs are supposed to get super tender at that time/temp, and I know chops are a similar cut. Any predictions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I predict they will be mushy as hell because pork chops don't have near the connective tissue of ribs and such.

Edit: The vinegar may break them down as well. Good luck brave goon!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Well, a pizza place down the street just changed management, so there's always that as a fallback plan.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yes for pork chops I'd just go with a brine and take them for a more conventional 1-2 hour dip.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

What's the difference between channa daal and split yellow lentils? I'm pretty sure that my supermarket vastly overprices channa daal as opposed to the lentils, so would I be okay to substitute the lentils for daal when doing daal tarka or would it affect the taste?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Fraction posted:

What's the difference between channa daal and split yellow lentils? I'm pretty sure that my supermarket vastly overprices channa daal as opposed to the lentils, so would I be okay to substitute the lentils for daal when doing daal tarka or would it affect the taste?

Pretty sure chana dal is chickpeas and split yellow lentils are yellow split peas. You can use whatever (dried legume) you want. It'll change the flavor a bit but it wont make it awful, it will just be good in a different way.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
There's also Moong dal which is split mung beans.

Canadian Bakin
Nov 6, 2011

Retaliate first.

tarepanda posted:

homemade ravioli.

I apologize since this was on the previous page but, I am curious. Could you use fresh lasagna sheets and just cut them into squares? Or would this not work because of the thickness of the sheets?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

GrAviTy84 posted:

Pretty sure chana dal is chickpeas and split yellow lentils are yellow split peas. You can use whatever (dried legume) you want. It'll change the flavor a bit but it wont make it awful, it will just be good in a different way.
Gravi hit the nail on the head. Unless you're using the chana daal in something highly specific that requires it (like vadai, or adai, or as a spice [daliya]), you can substitute like mad. Use chana daal, or moong daal, or yellow split peas, or red lentils interchangeably.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Toriori posted:

Any reasonably priced all you can eat sushi places in downtown Minneapolis?

The only all-you-can-eat sushi joint on downtown Minneapolis that I know about is Ichiban on the corner of Nicollet and Grant avenue. 30 bucks and the sushi ain't BAD, there is much better, but you get a lot of it!

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
So I bought a whole duck from the Asian market so that I could make prosciutto from the breast, but now I'm left with the rest of the cuts from breaking down the duck...

I've never actually cooked duck before and most of the recipes online are for roasting the whole thing, so can anyone give me recommendations on how to cook the other pieces?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Safety Dance posted:

I'm making some 48 hour pork chops in a vinegar-based barbecue sauce. I know ribs are supposed to get super tender at that time/temp, and I know chops are a similar cut. Any predictions?
I predict that the texture will be pretty gross after 48h for a pork chop.

fake edit: especially with a vinegar-based sauce.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Just squeezing my pork chops through the bag (24 hours in) they feel pretty okay. Experiment continues.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Daedalus Esquire posted:

So I bought a whole duck from the Asian market so that I could make prosciutto from the breast, but now I'm left with the rest of the cuts from breaking down the duck...

I've never actually cooked duck before and most of the recipes online are for roasting the whole thing, so can anyone give me recommendations on how to cook the other pieces?

Make confit with the legs (you won't have enough duck fat to do it "correctly" but you can use any other fat it will still taste delicious) and save all the bones and use them with the wings to make stock.

Dunno what to do with the thighs, cook em and eat em!

Skavoovee
Oct 2, 2006

by SA Support Robot
Last night I made some lemon and pepper pasta (it turned out amazingly!), but am left with 3 large lemons without zest. I thought about making curd with them, but all the recipes call for zest. I've never made lemon curd before, so am hesitant to go zestless in that direction.

Anyone have any other ideas of what I could use these lemons for? Would making curd with them work sans-zest?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Safety Dance posted:

Just squeezing my pork chops through the bag (24 hours in) they feel pretty okay. Experiment continues.

Why are you cooking these for 48h? They're super lean and will not benefit in any way from long-term slow heat.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Skavoovee posted:

Last night I made some lemon and pepper pasta (it turned out amazingly!), but am left with 3 large lemons without zest. I thought about making curd with them, but all the recipes call for zest. I've never made lemon curd before, so am hesitant to go zestless in that direction.

Anyone have any other ideas of what I could use these lemons for? Would making curd with them work sans-zest?

Lemonade? It's only 3 lemons worth. OR make lemon rice. That will be awesome.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
When I have extra lemons I squeeze the juice into my ice cube tray so that I have fresh lemon juice whenever I need it.

Skavoovee
Oct 2, 2006

by SA Support Robot
EDIT: ^^ THAT IS A COOL IDEA!

dino. posted:

Lemonade? It's only 3 lemons worth. OR make lemon rice. That will be awesome.

Ah, yeah thanks.

On a somewhat related note, my pasta is REALLY frail. Is it due to the thickness (thinness? see pic below) or is there maybe something I can add to the mix so it doesn't snap when I'm moving it around (carefully, I might add).

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Why are you cooking these for 48h? They're super lean and will not benefit in any way from long-term slow heat.

You assume an entirely deeper level of understanding than I possess. I'll have to try this again, but with actual ribs.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Skavoovee posted:

Do you have a drink shaker? Make some lemon shake-ups.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Safety Dance posted:

You assume an entirely deeper level of understanding than I possess. I'll have to try this again, but with actual ribs.

Any meat that has substantial intramuscular collagen will benefit from a long cook time, which will turn the collagen into gelatin (which is delicious). Lean meat just needs to get seared and then brought up to the temp you want (or brought to temp and then seared).

KWC
Jul 5, 2007
Hello

Daedalus Esquire posted:

Definitely confit the leg quarters (both legs and thighs). Stock would be the best way to use the rest of the carcass and wings.
In fact, once you have the confit and the stock, shred confit and put in ravioli and clarify the stock/make consomme. Put ravioli in the bottom of a shallow bowl and pour the consomme on top. Good duck dish.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Ive been looking at one of these things since they have them at work recently: http://www.amazon.com/Presto-06006-...le+multi-cooker. I was thinking of using it for various cooking stuff. Anyone have any input?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Last Celebration posted:

Ive been looking at one of these things since they have them at work recently: http://www.amazon.com/Presto-06006-...le+multi-cooker. I was thinking of using it for various cooking stuff. Anyone have any input?
It's a fry daddy. A pot on the stove would do the same thing.

CanUSayGym
Aug 19, 2006

Hmm? Vincent van Gogh fuck myself?
Survey says?

I hope this is the right place. Is there a website/app to place recipes in and get a list of necessary ingredients. Like I could plan out meals for a week and it would create a comprehensive list of everything that goes into the meals over the week. I am trying to eat healthier, more complex meals, and within my budget but I am having trouble both planning meals and figuring out meals that would be within my budget. So I'm hoping to find somewhere to help out with that.

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
I HAVE QUAILS. They were on sale! Nearly 2 pounds worth for less than $8.

So, I think I'm gonna grill them. I've had mesquite-grilled quail at a nice Mexican place before, but I don't really know what seasonings go well with quail, as they're definitely kinda gamey compared to chicken. Any suggestions?

Dirty Phil
Jul 3, 2012

Powdered Toast Man posted:

I HAVE QUAILS. They were on sale! Nearly 2 pounds worth for less than $8.

So, I think I'm gonna grill them. I've had mesquite-grilled quail at a nice Mexican place before, but I don't really know what seasonings go well with quail, as they're definitely kinda gamey compared to chicken. Any suggestions?

Best spatchcock those little birdies.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

pogothemonkey0 posted:

I have used this recipe in the past when I want to make pork shoulder and not cook the entire thing. It's pretty good but I would be sure to have *all* of the ingredients on hand because it's not a flavor powerhouse so omissions would leave it lacking. Also make sure to add roasted garlic and water chestnuts (if available) because that poo poo is awesome.
I missed this. As a consolation, it's rocketed to the tippy-top of my "for dinner" list. That looks phenomenal.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

I've got quails too, but they're just living out in my backyard for now. Eating plants and raising their family. :3:

But if I get hungry... :parrot:

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I don't know if this is the best place to ask.

I'm going to Amsterdam for a day on business. Where should I eat? It can't be so expensive that my MD looks at me funny when I submit my expenses, so really <100 euros for 2 people. Also ideally easy to find whilst high.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
I went to this Thai place last time I was there, and it was pretty good and good value for money (as I recall). My opinion may be tinged because most food is better when high, but it certainly wasn't bad.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

CanUSayGym posted:

I hope this is the right place. Is there a website/app to place recipes in and get a list of necessary ingredients. Like I could plan out meals for a week and it would create a comprehensive list of everything that goes into the meals over the week. I am trying to eat healthier, more complex meals, and within my budget but I am having trouble both planning meals and figuring out meals that would be within my budget. So I'm hoping to find somewhere to help out with that.

Just so I can understand your request, you're looking for a recipe aggregator that will let you choose recipes and then build a shopping list for you based on your selections?

I can see something like this existing and maybe even being profitable, but I'm not aware of such a beast existing.

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS

CanUSayGym posted:

I have no idea if what you're looking for exists, but wouldn't it be easier to make large amounts of something, then portion it out over the week? You could dress it up in different ways, or make batches of different stuff and freeze half of it for later if you crave variety. Like, roast a chicken and put different sauces on it, or make a basic soup and put different ingredients in it. Then you don't have to worry about keeping track of that many ingredients.

Alternatively, always keep the basics on hand so you can probably make whatever you want when the mood strikes. I always have garlic and onions and butter and flour and freeze meat so I can always make something even if I don't have time or money to go to the store.

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!

CuddleChunks posted:

I've got quails too, but they're just living out in my backyard for now. Eating plants and raising their family. :3:

But if I get hungry... :parrot:

I will freely admit I don't have the balls to kill even something as small as a quail. I suppose if you chop their little heads off it's over quick. :gonk:

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Powdered Toast Man posted:

I will freely admit I don't have the balls to kill even something as small as a quail. I suppose if you chop their little heads off it's over quick. :gonk:
Kitchen shears are probably easier to use than a chopping tool---just hold the quail with your off hand, being sure to keep the wings immobilised, and then snip the head off at the neck.

I've always killed quail with my bare hands---you can pull their heads right off without any tools. I imagine that's not an option if you're squeamish about using a knife on 'em though.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Anyone got a favourite recipe for home-made mayo?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Here you go.

EDIT: Well, that's the main page discussing the scienceness of homemade mayo. Here's the actual recipe.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

midnightclimax posted:

Anyone got a favourite recipe for home-made mayo?

I just make it the easy way with a stick blender, but its pretty simple, a cup of oil 1 whole egg, a couple/few/however many egg yolks you can stomach, salt, a teaspoonish each of vinegar (whatever kind you like, I mean, not like white but I usually use like a white wine or malt), lemon juice and dijon mustard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Cool, thanks a lot. I vaguely knew it's basically oil and eggs, but didn't know it was that easy. Going to try out some pasta recipes with that.