Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Nightmare is pretty good once you get used to his attacks. Leviathan's heart on the other hand has to be the worst boss in the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dol
Feb 16, 2007

I think you will find that the worst boss in the series is Argosax from Devil May Cry 2.

Leviathan's heart is uninspired but looks worse then it is when taking the other bosses of the third game into account since the standard of quality for the rest is so high.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Spermando posted:

Nightmare is pretty good once you get used to his attacks. Leviathan's heart on the other hand has to be the worst boss in the series.

Leviathan's Heart isn't a terrible boss, and definitely not the worst. I'd say the worst boss in the series is definitely blob Arkham. That boss is just so loving tedious and long, not to mention getting especially annoying halfway through.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
I hate that one because they make you think you're going to fight a Sparda clone and then you get a big blob that doesn't even have a proper hitbox. DMC3 had a lot of shoddy enemies, come to think of it. It's the reason I can't put it above the original regardless of how good the combat in 3 is.
And yeah, Argosax is horrible and they didn't even playtest it.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

DmC and Remember Me developer sessions at Eurogamer Expo posted:

We're filling out even more of the Eurogamer Expo developer sessions schedule today with the news that both DmC: Devil May Cry and Remember Me will be presented to attendees by their respective creators.

Tameem Antoniades from Ninja Theory and Capcom's Alex Jones will be on stage at 3.30pm on Sunday 30th September to walk players through DmC: Devil May Cry in detail. The game is also playable on the packed show floor and due out in January.

So yeah, expect more :smug: and possibly some actual new stuff to see, for the remaining 20 weeks til release.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Did anyone enjoy the bridge portion of the Horse fight in 3? Because god did I hate that.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
That was a pretty "meh" fight for me. I think the worst in the game was the Leviathan's organs though. I still maintain the worst come from 2 because of how either most of them require you to slowly chip away at them with the guns, or because of the way melee works in that game.

Blob-Arkham may not have been fun, but at least it wasn't "[hold fire]" for ten minutes.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Aug 29, 2012

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
DmC's token female in Playstation Battle Royale.

She's to the right.

That PSthing is looking to be surreal.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
There's seems to murmers brewing of an upcoming DMC movie doing the rounds, based on the listing of a trailer, scheduled to come out before the next Resident Evil movie.

quote:

Back in February of 2011, Screen Gems (the company who have produced the Resident Evil movies) acquired the rights to make a film adaptation based on the popular Devil May Cry video game franchise. It has been previously stated that Kyle Ward (Machete Kills) would be writing the script but there has not been any news on a release date or casting for the project. The company who develops the games, Capcom have also stated in the past that the game would be based on the new rebooted take on the franchise, DmC: Devil May Cry. Now, Alberta Film Ratings have classified a trailer for the film adaptation, and it looks set to debut with the latest Resident Evil film, Resident Evil: Retribution; the trailer classified is 1:31 in length. It's very possible that this trailer could simply be an announcment trailer, but nothing is clear just yet. Stay tuned to CBM for more on this news.

source: http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/NerdyGeek/news/?a=66594

Personally, I think it's just a trailer for the upcoming game, and that people are jumping the gun. But we shall see.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
I'll gladly welcome it with open arms if it's Milia Jovovich as Dante.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
PAX gameplay footage.

Nothing we haven't seen before really. They cut Glenn Beck's boss fight short presumably because they don't want to show off whatever way Dante murders him.
And they seem to imply that the PC version is coming out after the other versions on a later date.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQZzYf5yRsw

[e]: And they released the trailer for the Devil May Cry movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZo59DeZY9g
It may not be the DMC movie we want, but it's the DMC movie we need.

[e2]: It'll probably run smoother on PC too.
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Sep 3, 2012

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah we knew about the PC version being delayed already. It sucks but what can you do? If its only by month or so then I'll probably wait for it.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
New interview up, mostly going over what drew Capcom to Ninja Theory, of the differences in work-style between Japanese and Western devs, the reception to the inital negative response and the expectations they have for the game. Or hope for the game.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/177267/devil_may_cry_born_again.php

[e]: And for anyone interested in that DMC4 novel, where it heavily hints that Nero is Vergil's son, someone posted up a summation of what happens.

It's dumb. And that's saying a lot for what passes for stories in this series.

[e2]: That's true, some of the little details are nice, and the trivia (Sanctus orignally being called Benedict, but then changing it because that's what the new pope chose, etc), but the rest of it...meh.
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Sep 7, 2012

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Pesky Splinter posted:

[e]: And for anyone interested in that DMC4 novel, where it heavily hints that Nero is Vergil's son, someone posted up a summation of what happens.

It's dumb. And that's saying a lot for what passes for stories in this series.

It's dumb, sure, but it's not offensively bad. Some of the details are neat (Nero's gun, for instance), most are just kind of... worthless. Who the gently caress cares whether Lady presented Dante with a whole suitcase of money or just one wrap.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Pesky Splinter posted:

And they released the trailer for the Devil May Cry movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZo59DeZY9g
It may not be the DMC movie we want, but it's the DMC movie we need.

Doppelganger style confirmed at 15 seconds.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
So, I didn't see this video posted yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuoUfyMUQTc

Some random guy on the internet talks about why he doesn't like New Dante. Makes a lot of the points brought up in this very thread.

I agree with a fair bit of it, but saying things like "Ninja Theory hates Devil May Cry" is a little excessive. You can hate the game all you want, but I severely doubt Ninja Theory are actively working to destroy the series. The video itself states it's more a matter of them frantically trying to "fix" their own game, and the end result is just a jumbled mess.

Still, an interesting, well-put-together video.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
The problem with that video is that he's mostly focused on design and story for a narrative that he has NO IDEA what it's going to be. It's literally judging a book by it's cover.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

BlackFrost posted:

I agree with a fair bit of it, but saying things like "Ninja Theory hates Devil May Cry" is a little excessive. You can hate the game all you want, but I severely doubt Ninja Theory are actively working to destroy the series.

While I also agree with most of the points in the video (in particular, the point about it seeming like bad fanfiction, really bad dialogue, and how they try to present new Dante as "cool"), I think it's more that Capcom still has the final say in what goes into the game. And this means the approval of the story, designs, etc. So even if NT had ideas, designs or concepts more intune with the older games, Capcom can still turn around and say 'no'.

Tied in with that, is that I don't think NT really understands the appeal of the other games in the series. Hence, using it as a platform for "social commentary", and desperate attempts trying to make this new Dante "edgy" and "hip", and "down with the kids".

And finally, with some of the stuff Tameem "foot-in-mouth" Antonides has come out with, I can understand why the guy thinks that NT hates DMC, but that's more Antonides being an abrasive pretentious twat, more than him hating DMC. After all, if NT hated it that much, they wouldn't work on it.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Sep 10, 2012

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

So I'm picking DMC4 up again (because why not) and I remember why I stopped playing - I cannot, for the life of me, efficiently kill a blitz with Dante. I know the best answer is to hit him and royal guard the shock, but I can't get the timing down. Is there a video or something that shows the timing?

While we're at it, what's the best way to kill a blitz with Nero? I just use charge shots to break the shield, then DT and buster a few times to try to get damage in, but it takes forever.

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

Boxman posted:

So I'm picking DMC4 up again (because why not) and I remember why I stopped playing - I cannot, for the life of me, efficiently kill a blitz with Dante. I know the best answer is to hit him and royal guard the shock, but I can't get the timing down. Is there a video or something that shows the timing?

While we're at it, what's the best way to kill a blitz with Nero? I just use charge shots to break the shield, then DT and buster a few times to try to get damage in, but it takes forever.

For me I found it easier with Dante, but I never used Royal Guard since my timing with it was awful as evidenced by the sheer volume of time I spent in that challenge with the Mephistos having to do it.

Anyway, just go Gunslinger and shotgun the poo poo out of it and it goes un-electro pretty quickly. Or go DT and just brave the hurt as you murder him far quicker. But obviously if you want to get better with RG then stick at it. Could always use Pandora and Lucifer though.

With Nero it's pretty much what you said, or you can go DT and use one of the few special attacks it has that don't require contact if you really don't want to touch it.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
That really is the best way with Nero. You've got to try to corner him when his shield goes down so you can get as many busters in as possible. Don't forget to spam your charged shots during the first two busters, then charge up a L3 during the last one to nail him when he starts to go berserk.

With Dante I just shotgun his shield off. Use the jump+shoot trick to make your shots come out a bit faster.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
ERSB rating for DmC:

M - Mature 17+
Blood and Gore
Drug References
Intense Violence
Nudity
Sexual Content
Strong Language.

Source: http://devilmaycry.org/community/threads/dmcs-official-rating.11932/

And enjoy this completely worthless article, that again makes me wonder why someone would pay someone else to "write" this tripe.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Sep 12, 2012

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Pesky Splinter posted:

And enjoy this completely worthless article, that again makes me wonder why someone would pay someone else to "write" this tripe.

It's just what I've always wanted in a devil May cry game - the ability to cheese through enemy encounters by making them all immobilized! Challenge = video game elitist ableism of the highest order!

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Some guy on the differences between the PAX demo and the previous one:

quote:

Pause combos have a couple new tricks:

After the first two hits of any weapon, if you pause, the weapon will shine and the controller will rumble. These two indicators are signs that another press of the main attack button will set you off on your alternate combo. DmC also changes pause combos in one other way: if you switch weapons after the flash, you’ll finish the pause combo with the rest of your newly-switched weapon’s pause combo.

While this doesn’t sound like much, it’s pretty fun to start off a combo on a weakened enemy with two average-strength strikes from Dante’s standard sword, Rebellion, then finish it off with a heavy smash from the demonic axe, Arbiter.

Stinger is performed with a double-tap towards an enemy and an attack:

In my original hands-on piece I talked about how the lack of a lock-on threw me for a loop and kept me away from using the bread and butter of the DMC series. Well, I’ve since figured it out, and it’s double-tapping the stick toward the enemies and triangle. It felt incredibly awkward to me, and I failed the input on more than one occasion. However since it was my first time using this particular input for a stinger-like attack (I would use it in Metal Gear Rising later that day), perhaps it’s something that will get easier with practice.

Speaking of which, Osiris, the scythe, had another rushing attack that involved Dante spinning the scythe around him, and the same input with Arbiter had Dante throw the head of the axe towards an enemy.

Notes on the guns:

The Rainstorm move from Devil May Cry 3 and 4 is back, albeit in a different form. In 3 and 4, Rainstorm was a very quick barrage of bullets straight down performed with a single press of the style button in the air when Dante’s pistols, Ebony and Ivory, and the Gunslinger style were equipped.

DmC’s Rainstorm is performed with Square and X (shoot and jump) at the same time and can be performed either in the air or on the ground. The ground Rainstorm seems to provide more air than Dante’s standard jump, and while both Rainstorms are slower than their classic-series counterparts, they hit a wider range below Dante and can be cancelled out of very easily.

In fact, just about anything would cancel Rainstorm during my hands-on, from a second jump to simply firing the pistols normally.

Random note: a single press of the shoot button fires two bullets, one from Ebony and one from Ivory.

Devil Trigger and Style meter balances:

While in my E3 demo, I had a decent amount of time to play with Devil Trigger as long as I stayed in the air, I used Devil Trigger in the same (prompted) place in my PAX demo and hardly had time to get into the air… in other words, it felt a lot like using a Devil Trigger with few upgrades early on in DMC3 or DMC4. In addition, staying in the air no longer extends the length of the Devil Trigger. While I wish that I could have played with Devil Trigger a bit more in the demo, balance-wise, this is more in line with the classic series.

(I do wish I had a taunt button to fill the DT meter up more quickly, though.)

The style meter has also become a bit more discerning as to what builds your style ranking. After taking note of certain videos on the Internet, I made sure to try out repeating the same moves over and over. It looks like you can’t drop to a lower style ranking due to mere inactivity. Case in point: I managed to maintain an “S” rank even after a brief search for an off-screen enemy that caused the gauge in the corner to empty.

However, you can be knocked down two ranks if you’re hit, and the game is now fussier as to what fills the style meter. While I think the Arbiter gives the style gauge too big a boost (it’s almost a full letter grade on the first hit against the boss), the style gauge is less forgiving of repeated attacks than it was at E3.

Angel and Demon modes mold your mobility:

My previous attempt at the DmC demo was marked by failure and shame. I was taking hits, accidentally rolling across the screen in an attempt to perform Stingers, and generally making a fool of myself. This time around, I had a better grasp on how to properly use the Angel and Demon modes, and I finished the demo stage having only taken one hit.

Basically, instead of simple weapon switches, Angel and Demon modes are kind of playstyle mentalities. For instance, Demon feels very ground based. See an enemy with a shield? One grab with the Demon Pull (square in Demon mode) will stagger them, making them lower their shield. The next will bring them towards you, which allows you to dish out additional punishment. If you’re using Demon mode, chances are, your combat will be pretty grounded.

That’s not to say that the two playstyles are exclusive to ground and air. For example, the Circle button with Arbiter fires a shockwave that can launch enemies, and the Osiris can be pretty handy on the ground. But it definitely feels like the two have their specific uses, too. For instance, press Square with the right timing after you’ve performed an Angel Lift, and you’ll punch your enemy into the air, opening up an opportunity for you to lift yourself into the air and rake any enemies directly below you into the air with Circle.

Finally, something else I noticed is that when you come to grips with how the two grapples maneuver you around a battle, combat gets pretty fun. While the lock-on had me grab the wrong enemy once, the ability to adjust the makeup of the battlefield with the grapples feels like a heightened version of DMC4′s Devil Bringer when you get a handle on it.

source: http://www.siliconera.com/2012/09/11/dmc-devil-may-cry-hands-on-a-few-new-changes-i-noticed/

Abridged version:
Pause combos will cause the controller to rumble and flash to alert you.
Stinger is still awkward.
Rainstorm has wider range, and greater height, but slower than in previous games. Can be cancelled out of.
DT length is now balanced and not broken as gently caress.
Style Ranking however...still pretty hosed.
Angel and Demon modes feel like the Devil Bringer, apprently.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pesky Splinter posted:

It looks like you can’t drop to a lower style ranking due to mere inactivity. Case in point: I managed to maintain an “S” rank even after a brief search for an off-screen enemy that caused the gauge in the corner to empty.

:psyduck: Why would you fix the style meter and not fix that?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

someone posted:

Pause combos have a couple new tricks:

After the first two hits of any weapon, if you pause, the weapon will shine and the controller will rumble. These two indicators are signs that another press of the main attack button will set you off on your alternate combo. DmC also changes pause combos in one other way: if you switch weapons after the flash, you’ll finish the pause combo with the rest of your newly-switched weapon’s pause combo.

While this doesn’t sound like much, it’s pretty fun to start off a combo on a weakened enemy with two average-strength strikes from Dante’s standard sword, Rebellion, then finish it off with a heavy smash from the demonic axe, Arbiter.

The combo pause indicators are retarded hand holding and I hope you can turn them off- not a big deal in the grand scheme of things I suppose, though. Also switching between weapons during a combo and picking up the combo with the appropriate strike in sequence with another weapon sounds intriguing, but I'm sure they'll find a way to gently caress it up. \/:)\/

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Monkey Fracas posted:

The combo pause indicators are retarded hand holding and I hope you can turn them off- not a big deal in the grand scheme of things I suppose, though.

I'm not to keen on the rumble, but the flash sounds pretty useful.
The lack of a decent lock-on seems to be a continuing hinderance though. And that style meter needs fixing, as does the thing to stop the player spamming the same attacks over and over, to raise the Rank.

Also, I found this video retweeted from Tameem Antonides Twitter, along with the message "Thanks for ruining Devil May Cry even further you putrid loving oval office: [videolink]" directed at him. The message was a bit unnecssary IMO, but hopefully it'll mean he does something about it.

I'm sure it's been posted on here before, but this time it has annotations. They really have to fix this loving game before it's released. This isn't like someone mastering the battle system of the previous DMCs, and doing awesome things like dodging lasers using trickster, or Royal Guard or whatever, using frame perfect timing. It's so broken. :stare:

[e]: Thanks, Buck Turgidson.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Sep 13, 2012

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
I'm not sure how double tapping a direction to use Stinger is awkward. Bayonetta allows you to do so and it's easy as gently caress. But maybe I'm just godlike as poo poo ya know?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Flash your Platinum trophies with pride then, because even in Bayonetta I preferred lock-on Stinger than a double-tap. I just find it easier to pull off quickly and consistently, which matters a lot in harder difficulties.

Personal tastes aside, I'm for lock-on not just because of precise targeting, but mainly because it gives you another set of button combinations to assign moves to. Two dodge buttons solves the problem of L2 + L1 being awkward, but really, it's a solution to an awkward problem that comes from an awkward design decision.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Monkey Fracas posted:

The combo pause indicators are retarded hand holding and I hope you can turn them off- not a big deal in the grand scheme of things I suppose, though. Also switching between weapons during a combo and picking up the combo with the appropriate strike in sequence with another weapon sounds intriguing, but I'm sure they'll find a way to gently caress it up. \/:)\/
I like it, actually. I'm sure it's one of those subtle things that helps cement the timing and controls into your muscle memory.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Pesky Splinter posted:

I'm not to keen on the rumble, but the flash sounds pretty useful.
The lack of a decent lock-on seems to be a continuing hinderance though. And that style meter needs fixing, as does the thing to stop the player spamming the same attacks over and over, to raise the Rank.

Also, I found this video retweeted from Tameem Antonides Twitter, along with the message "Thanks for ruining Devil May Cry even further you putrid loving oval office: [videolink]" directed at him. The message was a bit unnecssary IMO, but hopefully it'll mean he does something about it.

I'm sure it's been posted on here before, but this time it has annotations. They really have to fix this loving game before it's released. This isn't like someone mastering the battle system of the previous DMCs, and doing awesome things like dodging lasers using trickster, or Royal Guard or whatever, using frame perfect timing. It's so broken. :stare:

You posted the wrong link, here you go.

Hadn't actually seen that video before, looks pretty bad. Some of the issues that he points out could probably be dealt with but I doubt that they're going to redo that entire boss fight so that it's not completely boring.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Ack. Thank you. I've changed my post.

Buck Turgidson posted:

Hadn't actually seen that video before, looks pretty bad. Some of the issues that he points out could probably be dealt with but I doubt that they're going to redo that entire boss fight so that it's not completely boring.

Yeah, the individual things they'll hopefully fix. But there's no chance for the actual battle, or platforming. The other boss battle they've shown looks a little more interesting at least. Though the platform section before it (indeed, 90% of the platforming shown this far) looks as boring as poo poo.

They did away with the Resident Evil inspired "get this [key] to this [door]", and had it be, jump forward, angel pull, angel pull, demon pull, jump forward, etc,etc.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
They haven't shown any interesting platforming, but there is the potential for some cool puzzles what with the push/pull mechanics. I'm interested to see if they'll throw some bizarre limbo platform puzzle in there.

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

Holy poo poo guys.

Bayonetta loving 2. Wii U exclusive. Bayonetta goddamned two.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

loving hell. I'm getting a Wii U.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
What the hell is going on! Why, how?! I thought you were broke SEGA!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honest Thief posted:

What the hell is going on! Why, how?! I thought you were broke SEGA!

Nintendo is publishing it. That is why it is Wii U exclusive.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Nintendo is publishing it. That is why it is Wii U exclusive.

You are loving making GBS threads me. Goddamit now I have to buy a loving WiiU

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
God drat it, I don't even want an WiiU but I want Bayonetta 2; it's like the polar opposite with the Vita.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

That is a goddamn masterstroke by them, a very not-kiddie game with a very loyal fanbase exclusive on your platform.

• Locked thread