Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

GodDAMNIT Nintendo >:[

e: will be interesting to see how the game will work with the whole WiiU hardware, what with that erroneous second screen. I suppose there's no more info other than the announcement?

yoshesque fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Sep 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
This has got to be some sort of joke. drat you Sega/Nintendo!

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

I think you chaps are overlooking the fact we didn't even know it was a thing until all of a few minutes ago.

Exclusive or not, Bayonetta 2 is happening and I couldn't be happier. Also means I can care a little less about DmC.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Zedd posted:

That is a goddamn masterstroke by them, a very not-kiddie game with a very loyal fanbase exclusive on your platform.

Nice, I wonder what multi-platform publishers turned down what would've likely made them a nice chunk of change. :downs:

To be honest the WiiU controller doesn't really strike me as ideal for a game that can get as frantic as Bayonetta. Then again they are tempting the poo poo out of me with zombieU as well. :argh:

VV drat, shows how much I'm keeping up with it. Curse you nintendo. :argh:

limited fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Sep 13, 2012

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

limited posted:

Nice, I wonder what multi-platform publishers turned down what would've likely made them a nice chunk of change. :downs:

To be honest the WiiU controller doesn't really strike me as ideal for a game that can get as frantic as Bayonetta. Then again they are tempting the poo poo out of me with zombieU as well. :argh:

The tablet controller isn't the only one. There's also one which is basically indistinguishable from a 360 pad.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

ImpAtom posted:

loving hell. I'm getting a Wii U.

Maybe if I sell one of my kidneys I could buy a Wii U and Bayonetta 2. :allears:
I only need one, after all.

This is genuine, right? Because goddamn :allears:

DmC Devil may- wha? Sorry Capcom, we're all busy selling ourselves to Nintendo.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
:allears:TRAILER!:allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hirJAOc2D3k

:allears:

Unknown swordsperson:

[e]: Post is not edit :doh:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Sep 13, 2012

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Teaser here

What do you mean I bought a 360 for the first game and now have to buy a WiiU for the sequel. I'm not made of money :cry:

e: drat you Pesky Splinter! :argh:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Now I have literally no reasons to give a drat about DmC, thank you Nintendo for making this possible.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its a little bit disappointing that in the DmC thread we're cheering on the main competition to the game but, you know, its Bayonetta 2.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Sega's a goddamn mess and I'm glad that a company as venerable as Nintendo is taking over as publisher, but Nintendo is willing to pull out all the stops to ensure that they will still compete in the coming next generation.

I can only hope that this isn't an exclusive, because gently caress, I don't have the money for a WiiU.

Hey, at least Platinum's going to do good business on this one, and Nintendo's finally showing willingness to work with developers outside the company!

vvv: A man can dream. :sigh:

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Sep 13, 2012

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

toasterwarrior posted:

Sega's a goddamn mess and I'm glad that a company as venerable as Nintendo is taking over as publisher, but Nintendo is willing to pull out all the stops to ensure that they will still compete in the coming next generation.

I can only hope that this isn't an exclusive, because gently caress, I don't have the money for a WiiU.

Hey, at least Platinum's going to do good business on this one, and Nintendo's finally showing willingness to work with developers outside the company!

Well since Nintendo is publishing it I seriously doubt it will make it to other consoles

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Barudak posted:

Its a little bit disappointing that in the DmC thread we're cheering on the main competition to the game but, you know, its Bayonetta 2.

Hey, this game's subtitle may as well be Devil May Cry 5.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Watching the developer playthrough of the first Bayonetta made me appreciate all of the little details Kamiya had thrown in as a director, hopefully he'll still be hands-on as a supervisor.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Bayonetta 2 announced for Wii U, also new DMC but who cares at this point

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Wii U exclusivity is such a kick in the balls. Like a drat horse.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fawf posted:

Watching the developer playthrough of the first Bayonetta made me appreciate all of the little details Kamiya had thrown in as a director, hopefully he'll still be hands-on as a supervisor.

Didn't he leave platinum?

But yea Kamiya not being tied to it makes me wonder about its overall quality.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Alteisen posted:

Didn't he leave platinum?

But yea Kamiya not being tied to it makes me wonder about its overall quality.

I don't think so, last E3 it was announced he was working on that superhero Pikmin type game for the WiiU (under P* of course.)
It was the Resident Evil guy who left Platinum, whathisface that directed RE4.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Which was the version of Bayonetta to pick up? I remember hearing one of the consoles was pretty bad.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Pasteurized Milk posted:

Which was the version of Bayonetta to pick up? I remember hearing one of the consoles was pretty bad.

The 360 version is inarguably better, but the PS3 version is a very far cry from bad.

Sundance Shot
Oct 24, 2010
The PS3 one is real bad. Go get the 360 version if you can.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
What the hell is a Wii U?

I wonder why Kamiya isn't working on it. I hope he has some input, because what if we...what if we get another DmC?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

User0015 posted:

I wonder why Kamiya isn't working on it. I hope he has some input, because what if we...what if we get another DmC?

This thing.

Even if Bayonetta 2 uses the most basic combat of Bayonetta 1, then it'll still be a million times more deep than DmC. As for the characters and story? Well, they couldn't be any worse than DmC, also. We're not going to be having abusive orphanages, and social commentary. So that's a step up. I mean, it's not going to be Shakespeare, but tongue-in-cheek camp, would be more bearable than grim dark whateverthehell's going on with DMC.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Sep 13, 2012

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Capitalism Bro! posted:

The PS3 one is real bad. Go get the 360 version if you can.

As someone who owns both consoles and only the ps3 bayonetta - what is so bad about the ps3 version?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
PS3 version is playable, but it has a lot of areas where the framerate chugs. If you have a choice go for the Xbox version.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
The framerate doesn't just chug at certain parts, it's consistently lower than the 360 version the whole way through (and there are a few parts where it drops to nearly unplayable levels, especially on the higher difficulty levels where the game starts spamming flaming enemies). It also looks really washed out and ugly compared to the 360 version, although that's not as bad as the framerate thing.

If you only have a PS3, you should still get that version because even PS3 Bayonetta is one of the best games released for any of the current consoles. But if you have both consoles, there's no reason not to get the 360 version.

User0015 posted:

The person that's directing Bayonetta 2, Yusuke Hashimoto, had a lot of input with Bayonetta. I do wish Kamiya was doing this game as well, but I think it'll be fine.

What's interesting is that this is the first time Kamiya has ever acted as a supervisor. Up until now, he's always worked as a director, some kind of lead game designer (like Resident Evil 1), or a small role (like in Viewtiful Joe 2 or Resident Evil 0). I wonder how that will turn out.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

The person that's directing Bayonetta 2, Yusuke Hashimoto, had a lot of input with Bayonetta. I do wish Kamiya was doing this game as well, but I think it'll be fine.

What's interesting is that this is the first time Kamiya has ever acted as a supervisor. Up until now, he's always worked as a director, some kind of lead game designer (like Resident Evil 1), or a small role (like in Viewtiful Joe 2 or Resident Evil 0). I wonder how that will turn out.

To paraphrase someone talking about MGS:Revengeance

"Hey, Kamiya, can I make Raiden slice through these buildings in a single stroke, and give him a robot dog companion?"
*looks up from manga* "Yeah. Sure" *goes back to reading*

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

The Miracle posted:

As someone who owns both consoles and only the ps3 bayonetta - what is so bad about the ps3 version?

Mostly the bad textures and washed-out colours. The framerate is a lot worse than the 360 version as well. Anyone who mentions slowdown on the PS3 should know that it happens just as much on the 360 version, so that really isn't as much of an issue as they make it out to be.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

yoshesque posted:

Mostly the bad textures and washed-out colours. The framerate is a lot worse than the 360 version as well. Anyone who mentions slowdown on the PS3 should know that it happens just as much on the 360 version, so that really isn't as much of an issue as they make it out to be.

There is nowhere near as much slowdown on the 360 version as on the PS3 version. I played both versions and it was really noticable on the PS3 compared to the 360.

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

There is nowhere near as much slowdown on the 360 version as on the PS3 version. I played both versions and it was really noticable on the PS3 compared to the 360.

I got plenty of slowdown on my playthroughs on the 360, but that's obviously because I'm an XTREEEEEEEME HARDCORE PLAYA

v:v:v

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Play the final stage of the Ithival building level on PS3 and you'll see how bad it gets on the PS3. Single digit FPS, I poo poo you not. I refuse to believe it performed that badly on the Xbox, which was the lead development platform.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

notZaar posted:

Play the final stage of the Ithival building level on PS3 and you'll see how bad it gets on the PS3. Single digit FPS, I poo poo you not. I refuse to believe it performed that badly on the Xbox, which was the lead development platform.

poo poo, that happens to every PS3 copy? I thought I hosed something up by pausing when it was trying to load or something dumb, that's ridiculous.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
The only time Bayonetta slows down on my Xbox is when I chain bat dodge into witch time. :smug:

It definitely slows down on the Xbox when there's particle effects up against the camera. I think the biggest culprits is lava splashes. But I don't really remember any slow down in a level, except for maybe a moment or two. It doesn't suffer from Blighttown framerates.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Pesky Splinter posted:

We're not going to be having abusive orphanages, and social commentary. So that's a step up. I mean, it's not going to be Shakespeare, but tongue-in-cheek camp, would be more bearable than grim dark whateverthehell's going on with DMC.

It's going to be ironic sexism and horrible lol so wacky XD humor. Just as terrible as DmC, but a different flavor.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

GUI posted:

It's going to be ironic sexism and horrible lol so wacky XD humor. Just as terrible as DmC, but a different flavor.

At least with that, I know it's not trying to force me to take it seriously. Bayonetta has no great message other than, "have fun with our combat system, and do cool poo poo with it".

Not, "LOL Anonymous and FOX, amiright? But seriously take me seriously, we've got a deep message and characters for you people here. We're trying to make game story telling a legimate media here. D'ya get it? He told her to gently caress off. And he has sex."

At least if it's not taking itself too seriously I can just laugh at it, rather than cringe at it. Of course, it's early days yet. Bayo 2 probably won't even be out till the end of next year, at the earliest, if we're lucky.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Sep 14, 2012

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
From Giant Bomb's comments section, people are saying that Sega actually didn't even want to continue Bayonetta and that Nintendo is the only reason Bayo2 is seeing the light of day.

gently caress Sega indeed if this is true, because the only good thing I've seen with their logo on it in the past few years is Shogun 2: Total War under Creative Assembly. Exclusivity (hopefully timed, but probably not) is better than seeing a series waste away under an incompetent publisher.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah PS3 never gets a smooth framerate from the get go; it's playable sure, but it's like playing a pc game on low settings.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Honest Thief posted:

Yeah PS3 never gets a smooth framerate from the get go; it's playable sure, but it's like playing a pc game on low settings.

The not-so-stellar version of Bayonetta on the PS3 really bummed me out, because I could see that it was one hell of a game and worthy of being a successor to DMC; unfortunately, I couldn't get into it the way I usually did with DMC games because the framerate on my PS3 was choppy and terrible in certain areas, and everywhere else was middling at best. I could only muster the gumption to get gold trophies at worst on all stage on the normal difficulty.

Real shame, that version was.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Blame Sega. They're the ones responsible for the shoddy port. To avoid that difficulty in the future Platinum just decided to build there games with PS3 as lead.

loving Sega I swear to god

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
It's not like Sega wanted a lovely PS3 port. Bayonetta was going to be an Xbox exclusive, that's how Platinum were making it. Sega wanted to bring it to the PS3, but there wasn't enough time to do it at Platinum and have them ship on the same date, so they brought in an outside team to do the PS3 port. I'm not sure what went wrong, but it was less than stellar.

• Locked thread