Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.

iastudent posted:

Also out today is Gangsters: Organized Crime for $5.99

I remember playing this on a friend's computer when I was a kid. Don't remember too much about the game in general but I'm somehow itching to try it again.

Hahaha, oh wow, that came out of nowhere. I actually asked if this had any chance of getting released like, a year ago maybe, two years?

This game has the dubious distinction of being the best mob-based title on GOG right now and even then it's not all that great. I actually played the poo poo out of it as a kid and it has some pretty neat ideas, but the game just never really feels like it gives you enough info to succeed and the AI opponents only ever seem to die/get convicted without any influence or effort of your own. I still don't know how the gently caress you're supposed to get your dudes back after they inevitably get arrested for wasting other gangsters on the street since they seem to just disappear completely into the game's nebulous legal system, which includes options for bribing judges and intimidating witnesses but never seems to come into play ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

evilmiera posted:

You shut your mouth! Well, don't, if you feel like it. But really, I absolutely adored KKND as a kid, the quirky humor and the neat cutscenes had my young mind enthralled. The only thing that made me like it less was that it got really, really hard after a bit, at least for someone who just enjoyed making a lot of the same kind of unit over and over until I won.

I'll buy it once I get some more cash, and enjoy my semi-lame but amusing C&C ripoff all on my own, I guess.

I'm with you, buddy. I liked it more than C&C or Red Alert because it was different. I also somewhat enjoyed the sequel. Well, at least the demo since I could never afford the thing.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
One of my friends tweeting about the infamous dancing baby sent me on an unexpected course of browsing the other night, and I was suddenly struck with something I'd really like to see released on GOG if at all feasible: After Dark.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Discount Viscount posted:

One of my friends tweeting about the infamous dancing baby sent me on an unexpected course of browsing the other night, and I was suddenly struck with something I'd really like to see released on GOG if at all feasible: After Dark.

Although I'd love to mess around with a bunch of the After Dark screensaver packs (I remember the Simpsons one being particularly well done), I'm not sure that it's possible to run them on modern systems because they because they were designed to interface with old versions of Windows.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Lunatic Fringe was the best.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Al! posted:

Although I'd love to mess around with a bunch of the After Dark screensaver packs (I remember the Simpsons one being particularly well done), I'm not sure that it's possible to run them on modern systems because they because they were designed to interface with old versions of Windows.

I think I read something about a DOS version existing. It might work!

They could probably at least bring out After Dark Games.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Man, After Dark. Does that take me back. I miss all of those cool screensavers. :(

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Some people in this thread take issue with the fact that some of the Good Games they put out aren't Old -- just imagine what they'd do if GOG stopped putting out Games! :ohdear:

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

Thompsons posted:

Hahaha, oh wow, that came out of nowhere. I actually asked if this had any chance of getting released like, a year ago maybe, two years?

This game has the dubious distinction of being the best mob-based title on GOG right now and even then it's not all that great. I actually played the poo poo out of it as a kid and it has some pretty neat ideas, but the game just never really feels like it gives you enough info to succeed and the AI opponents only ever seem to die/get convicted without any influence or effort of your own. I still don't know how the gently caress you're supposed to get your dudes back after they inevitably get arrested for wasting other gangsters on the street since they seem to just disappear completely into the game's nebulous legal system, which includes options for bribing judges and intimidating witnesses but never seems to come into play ever.

It seemed to me that the game suffered from too much attempted realism. The idea behind the justice system was that arrested gangsters would spend a couple months in jail awaiting trial. Unfortunately, this meant a couple hours of playtime before you got them back, if at all.

It was also very easy to win within a couple turns, if you knew how to abuse the money laundering system. The amount of attention from the feds that a gang gets depends on the ratio of illegal income to legal gross income, as well as the skill of the accountant. If you scouted intelligently, you could easily find the other gangs headquarters in the first couple weeks. Send a guy to bomb the tenement building around it, and that gang suddenly had no/practically no legal income. Suddenly, they become public enemy #'s 1, 2, and 3, and the fed shuts them all down.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I don't care if Good Old Games release new games, it's up to the buyer to decide whether he wants to buy the game or not. Why get lovely at a company for giving you options?

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

KKnD was definitely a C&C rip-off, but an awesome one. I played through both campaigns many times, and enjoyed it far more than C&C. It has woolly-mammoths with mounted machine-guns, giant crabs carrying rocket launchers, and tanks that are essentially giant-miniguns. What's not to like?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
New weeklong "stacking" promo: Diamonds of DnD for anywhere between 30 to 65% off depending on how many you get.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

The Kins posted:

New weeklong "stacking" promo: Diamonds of DnD for anywhere between 30 to 65% off depending on how many you get.

How is Dragon Shard? I own all the games on the list besides that and Demon Stone.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

The Kins posted:

And the ones you own count?! Goddamn you fedora guy.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

The Kins posted:

I own all of these already :v: And have played maybe a few hours of BG2 out of that whole pack. drat good promo though, these are some of the best games on GoG from what I can tell.

VV Poor choice of words- I meant that some of the best games on GOG are in the deal.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Sep 14, 2012

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

C-Euro posted:

I own all of these already :v: And have played maybe a few hours of BG2 out of that whole pack. drat good promo though, these are some of the best games on GoG from what I can tell.

I dunno, Demon Stone and Dragon Shart look pretty bad to me.

Tokyo Incident
Nov 1, 2011

relax
Over on DotEmu there's 60% off the Gabriel Knight games and Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines: http://www.dotemu.com/en/pc-games/discounted

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Would you look at that, FTL is out. Some might wait for Steam but gently caress that.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
GoG is having a sale on D&D titles including Baldur's Gate. The discount increases with more purchases. I wasn't going to buy a few of the cheaper titles but buying them actually reduced the price.

e: beaten :negative:

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Sep 14, 2012

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009
Keep in mind that if ToEE is the 6th or later game you're buying, you will actually save money by buying it. That is, if you want to buy at least 5 non-ToEE games on that list, you should also buy ToEE, because your total order will cost less that way.

This is only true for ToEE, by the way, because it is the only game on the list that was originally priced at 5.99 rather than 9.99. All other games have a marginal cost > 0 no matter where they come in the stack.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Lodin posted:

Would you look at that, FTL is out. Some might wait for Steam but gently caress that.

What am I doing wrong? Rebel mothership seems way out of my league in its second stage, whatever I can do to it is repaired by its crew, even on easy it destroys me.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

John McCain posted:

Keep in mind that if ToEE is the 6th or later game you're buying, you will actually save money by buying it. That is, if you want to buy at least 5 non-ToEE games on that list, you should also buy ToEE, because your total order will cost less that way.

And on the subject of ToEE, the fan-patch/expansion updated just a couple days ago. Nothing new (they already added a whole lot of post-game content), just more tweaks and polishing up what's already there.

Edit: Correction, they added one more quest and one more map in Verbobonc, but it's not a huge addition like their 'war in hommlet' addon.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

Scalding Coffee posted:

Rise of the Triad level design is more like an obstacle course mod than any FPS I saw. Moving lava walls, barking dogs, and jumping all over the place, with characters having different stats.

Yeah every level had at least half a dozen really tight rooms with moving instagib rotating blades. You had to time it right & pray there wasn't an annoying trigger half way that moved the room around.

All I want to do is turn people inside out with the homing rocket launcher at close range & hope to see an eyeball float down the screen!

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?
Is gog.com down for everyone else? I just got home from work, and I just knew I should copy FTL down and put it on my keychain flashdrive (it's like 158MB installed... hell, I could have dropped it in Dropbox). But no... I'm sure I won't have any problems getting it again when I get home!

And here I am, unable to download it from GOG. Should have waited for Steam, I guess.

Edit:\/\/\/ Thanks... apparently it was something on my end. For some reason https://www.gog.com/ (was in my URL bar this way after typing in "gog") is "Problem loading page" but hitting https://www.gog.com from a google link worked no problem. Weird. Anyway, almost done download FTL now! Suck it, Steam!

Essobie fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Sep 15, 2012

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Essobie posted:

Is gog.com down for everyone else? I just got home from work, and I just knew I should copy FTL down and put it on my keychain flashdrive (it's like 158MB installed... hell, I could have dropped it in Dropbox). But no... I'm sure I won't have any problems getting it again when I get home!

And here I am, unable to download it from GOG. Should have waited for Steam, I guess.

Nope it's working fine for me, sorry dude. Apparently FTL is selling like hotcakes right now so maybe they're getting hammered or something.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!
I bought Startopia and I'm running it without a problem except for one, in which the screen keeps flickering black at annoyingly frequent intervals. Anyone else had this problem?

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

I was all set to pay 7 bucks to own both icewind dale games in a handy digital format after I got the email. In actuality because I'm only interested in 2 games I'd be paying double that so I said gently caress it and bought nothing. I've still got my cd's somewhere.

satan is my oppa
Feb 18, 2012
I'm loving Inquisitor. I don't know why nobody is really talking about it. The only English information I've found on it is from it's forum on gog.com, and from the sole LP of the game in existence.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

Blackray Jack posted:

I bought Startopia and I'm running it without a problem except for one, in which the screen keeps flickering black at annoyingly frequent intervals. Anyone else had this problem?

Ya mine was doing the same. I played around in video options, I think it had something to do with the V-Sync, just try out a couple settings till it goes away.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

satan is my oppa posted:

I'm loving Inquisitor. I don't know why nobody is really talking about it. The only English information I've found on it is from it's forum on gog.com, and from the sole LP of the game in existence.

If you don't know, you'll have to read some of the other pages. The last post about it was this one

Stroth posted:

Well, poo poo. Inquisitor just ate my saves. Does anyone have a Priest near the beginning of act 2?
It seems like most people weren't too thrilled about it.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
From what I've heard it's grindy as hell and although it starts off fairly unique it shits itself hard in the middle of the second act.

Sackmo
Oct 13, 2004
Yes, Inquisitor is the type of game that you try your hardest to like, but then goes out of its way to make this as difficult as possible the more you play it. It's kind of sad because I can tell they put a monstrous amount of work into it, and it really is a unique and interesting concept, but they made some silly design mistakes that should have been obvious from the beginning.

Realist
Oct 26, 2007
Human
I'm only at the beginning of act 2, but I really like Inquisitor. I wouldn't call it grindy, though the Iron Mines were a bit tedious. My only real complaint is that power progression feels off--you don't get third tier spells until level 35.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Is Neverwinter Nights worth it for the expansion campaigns plus whatever fan-campaigns are available? I tried the OC years ago back when I did not really have the patience to learn D&D and could not get into it, and everything else I heard about it makes it sound like a slog.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

anthonypants posted:

If you don't know, you'll have to read some of the other pages. The last post about it was this one
It seems like most people weren't too thrilled about it.

Yeah, I gave up on it. gently caress fighting my way all through that iron mine again just because it decided to glitch out.

satan is my oppa
Feb 18, 2012
Aw, that's too bad. I've had some graphical glitches and crashes but nothing as bad as eaten saves. It is really, increasingly, aggressively difficult.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Unlucky7 posted:

Is Neverwinter Nights worth it for the expansion campaigns plus whatever fan-campaigns are available? I tried the OC years ago back when I did not really have the patience to learn D&D and could not get into it, and everything else I heard about it makes it sound like a slog.
Shadows of Undrentide and Hordes of the Underdark are excellent campaigns. You are correct that the original campaign is much much worse.

I paid 5 bucks for NWN Diamond Edition on Gamersgate and never regretted the purchase. It'd still be worth it at 6.99 by itself, much more so if you can drop the price lower with other D&D games.

satan is my oppa
Feb 18, 2012
I played NWN for like a year. I put hundreds of hours into it. I don't know if I could go back to it (certainly couldn't do NWN2 by the time I played it) but it's a great game. Agreeing that the expansion campaigns are loads better than the original. Deekin!

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

anthonypants posted:

Some people in this thread take issue with the fact that some of the Good Games they put out aren't Old -- just imagine what they'd do if GOG stopped putting out Games! :ohdear:
It's not like they've stopped releasing old games. They've just branched out, which is pretty sensible. As long as GoG keep up with their policy of equal pricing worldwide and no DRM I'll keep buying from them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Unlucky7 posted:

I think so. The thing about NWN is that you don't have to manage a party but simply yourself. Maybe your single henchman too, I can't remember. So you don't have to master the entire system, but just have to read a little about your character.

You will still have to allocate skill points though, pick talents, adjust your stat sheet, push the search button when you want to search, etc. It's still a D&D game. Shadows actually starts out with a stereotypical "down into the labyrinth!" premise and then quickly spirals into a really crazy adventure.