Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Potsticker posted:

Wow, there's definitely a pledge spike. Even if there's no more stretch goals or anything. It's not just a spike in money, but a spike in backers too. Maybe I didn't take enough Econ courses in school, but I figured it would have a much smoother tail end compared to other Kickstarters I've watched where there's some big news or stretch goal added or whatnot.
Andy got interviewed on the Penny Arcade report today; that might have something to do with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Evil Mastermind posted:

Andy got interviewed on the Penny Arcade report today; that might have something to do with it.

Oh, that makes a lot of sense, then.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Congrats to Tenra for just hitting the 1000% mark.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
I'm just sticking with the PDF versions because I'm trying not to clog my meager pair of bookshelves. :U

VoodooXT posted:

Congrats to Tenra for just hitting the 1000% mark.

:woop:

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

I'd also be expecting an up-swing on the last day as some people receive a "24 hours to go on this Kickstarter!" email if they clicked the widget on the page.

That graph :allears:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I like this one:

Today is beating out Day 2 right now for 2nd most profitable day. (Day 1 still reigns supreme)

EDIT: Correct graph.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

$100K or bust, DiamondSutra, ya hear me!?

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

InfiniteJesters posted:

I'm just sticking with the PDF versions because I'm trying not to clog my meager pair of bookshelves. :U

Yeah, I'm in Korea right now which doesn't make for very fun shipping, so I'm sticking to pdf.

BryanChavez
Sep 13, 2007

Custom: Heroic
Having A Life: Fair

Cheap Trick posted:

$100K or bust, DiamondSutra, ya hear me!?

It really ought to be $108k.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

ProfessorCirno posted:

Yeah, I'm in Korea right now which doesn't make for very fun shipping, so I'm sticking to pdf.

I feel you, man. I'm also getting the pdf because I won't trust our Post Office as far as I can throw it.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
First Tenra, and then at some point after that Golden Sky Stories. :3:

This is a good year.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

InfiniteJesters posted:

First Tenra, and then at some point after that Golden Sky Stories. :3:

This is a good year.

Then Meikyuu Kingdom!

Right? :ohdear:

Triple-Kan
Dec 29, 2008

Evil Mastermind posted:

Then Meikyuu Kingdom!

Right? :ohdear:

Then Ryuutama!

R... right?

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

Welp, gonna pledge. I'll make my group get excited for heavy metal Japan. :black101:

ExMortis
Feb 14, 2012

Let's RUNNING!! :ussr:

Triple-Kan posted:

Then Ryuutama!

R... right?

Then Tera the Gunslinger! Guys? ..... guys?

Seriously, super pumped to see Tenra so successful. Can't wait for my books. (Has anyone got any insight on Tera the Gunslinger by the way? I think that might have been the first TRPG I was interested in, even before Tenra)

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

I want 'em all. I want all the Japanese RPGs. (Meikyuu Kingdom wheee)

BryanChavez posted:

It really ought to be $108k.

You're right, that is a more auspicious number.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Gonna be honest, Meikyuu is the one I want to see.

Necrofamicom
Jun 21, 2012

Cheap Trick posted:

I want 'em all. I want all the Japanese RPGs. (Meikyuu Kingdom wheee)

I'm right there with you, buddy. I'm in for the PDF of Tenra, but what I'd really love to get is Meikyuu Kingdom and Alshard.

I'll admit to being surprised Tenra got chosen over Alshard FF, which I thought would have a better chance of getting made.

Badingading
Sep 2, 2011

Random issues with Kickstarter resulted in my pledge getting canceled, so clearly the logical response was to re-pledge at twice the original amount :shepface: Plus I really like those kanji dice...

Also jumping on the Meikyuu Kingdom bandwagon; TBZ looks pretty sweet but the charm of Meikyuu has me enamored.

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

Evil Mastermind posted:

Meikyuu Kingdom!

Cheap Trick posted:

Meikyuu Kingdom

Necrofamicom posted:

Meikyuu Kingdom

Badingading posted:

Meikyuu Kingdom

I think I promised to take pictures at some point, so here goes. Album form since I'm not going to list all the pictures inline. Album has more examples of the color pages, monsters, advanced Jobs, etc.

These are the Oukoku book on the right (Kingdom book, mostly player content) and Meikyuu book (Labyrinth book, mostly advanced options and GM things)

The books have a slipcover and a...I want to call it an obi like in Japanese CD cases but I'm not sure what the term is. They're neat though.

There are some color pages at the beginning of each book. They contain a summary of Meikyuu Kingdom, what's in the book as well as a few comics about what it's like to play the game.

This is one of the character classes, the Servant. They're neat! Lower stats, but support skills and they get an extra Job.

Speaking of Jobs, these are some of the basic Jobs. Fan favorite Happymancer included.

The Meikyuu book has some advanced Jobs.

A lot of the stuff in Meikyuu Kingdom is either presented in card or chart form. (So many cards, so many charts.) These are some of the Skills that I'm hypothetically translating in the free time I don't have.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Mikan posted:

Meikyuu Kingdom photo cavalcade

:swoon:

So close to just buying these myself. Even if they just end up in my stack of books to flip through.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Mikan posted:

The books have a slipcover and a...I want to call it an obi like in Japanese CD cases but I'm not sure what the term is. They're neat though.

You're right, it's an obi.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Potsticker posted:

So close to just buying these myself. Even if they just end up in my stack of books to flip through.

That's pretty much how my copies have ended up :v:

Having skills lined up in rectangles is a great design concept. So tidy and neat.

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

The skill cards are slick, and they're one of the reasons I use cards like I do in Last Stand.

All of the skills, monsters, facilities, traps, items, magic items, dungeon rooms, everything, they come in this card format.
The card tells you what kind of card it is, the action type, what kind of check to make, targets, etc along with what the skill does.
With Assault Force, you send your loyal subjects to fight to the death with an enemy.
Translation might need a bit of work, I'm not nearly as good with Japanese as I used to be but this is roughly what the card says except for the flavor text:

ASSAULT FORCE
General Skill
Type: Support
Target: Single
Check: Wit / Target’s Evasion
This skill can be used in combat. When you use this skill, select one character in an adjacent region. That character takes [your Staff/5]d6 damage. You then lose d6 [Staff].

Yes. In Meikyuu Kingdom you can bring your loyal subjects along with you in dungeon crawls and use them to fight enemies/set off traps/explore rooms/meet an untimely end :smith:

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Mikan posted:

Yes. In Meikyuu Kingdom you can bring your loyal subjects along with you in dungeon crawls and use them to fight enemies/set off traps/explore rooms/meet an untimely end :smith:

I'm sorry, having redshirts be an actual player resource is ingenious and I'll hear nothing else of it.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

It's okay, they knew the risks when they pledged allegiance.
"But weren't they actually conscripted via royal decree?"
shutupshutupshutup

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

You have to be careful though, the level of your Kingdom is directly related to the size of your population. Spend too much time sending your Staff to their deaths means you'll own the dungeon part but suck at the kingdom part.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

After reading the Penny Arcade article on Tenra Bansho Zero, I want to stat up a robo-geisha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgrKLjoWcbs

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Wait, so in Meikyuu, I can be a Dungeon Master without being a Dungeon Master?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Okay, I have to ask- where's your avatar from, ProfessorCirno?

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

CommissarMega posted:

Okay, I have to ask- where's your avatar from, ProfessorCirno?

Cirno is the strongest Touhou.

More specifically, the avatar's probably from the Touhou Hisōtensoku fighting game.

Edit: wait a minute, you're posting on the first page of the Touhou Megathread, now I'm confused

Cheap Trick fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Sep 14, 2012

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
It was a moving gift from Gorbash! I dunno where he got it.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

I like seeing the avatar in grognards.txt, it's like Cirno is laughing at the bad opinions.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Does anybody here happen to know of any game stores in the Osaka/Kansai area? I found the Yellow Submarine in Namba, but it's just card games...I would love to get some Meikyuu setting books if I can manage it.

Also, I'm taking Meikyuu into my own hands and am going to try to translate it myself. Not being in school, along with people who want to see it done will hopefully keep me going with it.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

On the subject of intro pages, here's a couple I took from Tenra War.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Cheap Trick posted:

More specifically, the avatar's probably from the Touhou Hisōtensoku fighting game.

Can't be that; I've played and finished Hisoutensoku, and that sprite isn't Cirno's.

ProfessorCirno posted:

It was a moving gift from Gorbash! I dunno where he got it.

I must find this Gorbash!

Cheap Trick posted:

I like seeing the avatar in grognards.txt, it's like Cirno is laughing at the bad opinions.

Me too :allears: First thing I do once TBZ comes out is make a Touhou. I'd probably feel a lot better sending redshirts to their doom in Meikyuu if I think of them as fairies too.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES
I want to see SataSupe, mostly. The world needs a good Yak game.

Necrofamicom
Jun 21, 2012

Mikan posted:

I think I promised to take pictures at some point, so here goes. Album form since I'm not going to list all the pictures inline. Album has more examples of the color pages, monsters, advanced Jobs, etc.

It's worth mentioning that the official website, http://www.bouken.jp/product/makeyou/index.html , has a bunch of free downloads people can check out. There's map sheets, kingdom and character sheets, and some random encounter sheets that have some examples of monsters. They also have some example scenarios.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I love that Japanese RPG designers didn't get the memo about how you're never supposed to ask players to multiply or divide.

I really hope to one day see Frank Trollman's assessment of this fact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
Just tried to back Tenra Bansho Zero, but the Amazon payment system isn't validating! It just goes to a blank page or an error page, randomly.

Sent in a request with Kickstarter support. I hope they get to it soon, there's only 42 hours left in the campaign :ohdear:

• Locked thread