Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
New Cryptopsy is in the wild. I was scared off of ever listening to The Unspoken King by what others said about it, so I don't know the comparison point that well, but this one sounds pretty good to me (not deathcore-y at all to my ears). Lots of cool technical parts. I don't love the vocals but they do the job.

Are the people in this band (I guess Flo is the only consistent member at this point, though Jon is back) insanely hard to work with or something? Seems like they can't hold on to band members at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

IRQ posted:

Disappointing if you've seen them before on this tour or like their older stuff at all. Also very short for them being the only band playing. About 45 minutes before the encore.

From what I remember, and I think this is the entire set: Iconoclast, Dehumanized, End of Innocence, Bastards of the Machine, Electric Messiah, When All is Lost, Sins and Shadows, Set the World on Fire, Encore was The Odyssey (again). So not even the best songs from the most recent album, at least in my opinion.

Nothing off of V (they aren't even playing Egypt or Evolution anymore, goddamn), nothing off of Twilight in Olympus, nothing off of Damnation Game, nothing off of The Odyssey aside from the title track. They were great at what they played, of course, but as a long time fan I really wanted at least some old stuff.

Too bad about the setlist. I was thinking of going to the DC concert (or the Baltimore one), but being on a weeknight pretty much killed it for me for multiple reasons.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

TheQat posted:

New Cryptopsy is in the wild. I was scared off of ever listening to The Unspoken King by what others said about it, so I don't know the comparison point that well, but this one sounds pretty good to me (not deathcore-y at all to my ears). Lots of cool technical parts. I don't love the vocals but they do the job.

Are the people in this band (I guess Flo is the only consistent member at this point, though Jon is back) insanely hard to work with or something? Seems like they can't hold on to band members at all.

Lord Worm left to be an English teacher so maybe they're all just boring dudes living boring lives

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Non Serviam posted:

^^
Nothing from Adrenaline mob? (be it a song OR a fedora?)

I said the show was good, so of course not.

God drat, I had happily forgotten that Russell Allen was involved in that shitheap.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
I just now remembered that Symphony X played with Iced Earth not too long ago

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Kjorteo posted:

any of his contributions to Allen/Lande but especially "Copernicus" off The Showdown?

Why hasn't anybody told me about this before. :mad:

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

fritz posted:

Why hasn't anybody told me about this before. :mad:

You should take your Revenge!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opbHcrwD-r8

Tshirt Ninja
Jan 1, 2010
I recently moved to DC for school, tell me where the good shows are!

I'll also be figuring out some way to stay down here long enough after I get kicked off campus for my first MDF. So excited.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Tshirt Ninja posted:

Baltimore.

Just happened to find this: http://dcheavymetal.com/upcoming-concerts/

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

IRQ posted:

I said the show was good, so of course not.

God drat, I had happily forgotten that Russell Allen was involved in that shitheap.

Although I was joking with my question.... I actually liked Adrenaline Mob :sigh:

Having said that, when I saw a video of them performing live, with Allen wearing a fedora... I suffered.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Tshirt Ninja posted:

I'll also be figuring out some way to stay down here long enough after I get kicked off campus for my first MDF. So excited.

9:30 Club (for bigger bands), DC9, Rock and Roll Hotel, Black Cat, and The Fillmore (again, bigger bands) are all good venues in the DC area. In Baltimore there's Sonar, The Ottobar (the greatest venue in existence, for my money), and Ram's Head (bigger bands). A lot of bands do skip DC in favor of Baltimore (or skip the area entirely :().

MoreMetalBrian
Oct 20, 2009

Well, I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!

TheQat posted:

9:30 Club (for bigger bands), DC9, Rock and Roll Hotel, Black Cat, and The Fillmore (again, bigger bands) are all good venues in the DC area. In Baltimore there's Sonar, The Ottobar (the greatest venue in existence, for my money), and Ram's Head (bigger bands). A lot of bands do skip DC in favor of Baltimore (or skip the area entirely :().

I believe Sonar is either shut down or about to be shut down. That's generally where MDF has been for the last several years. Ram's Head is awesome because it's in the center of a beer garden, with plenty of bars having patios where you can get a drink and hang out. (Need to be 21+ to enter this part of the area, which is also a plus if you want to avoid kids and teenagers.)

9:30 Club is pretty good, like TheQat said, for bigger bands. It looks like a hole in the wall place, from the outside, but it's only a couple of blocks from the nearest Metro.

Though it's not in DC, there's also Empire (which used to be called Jaxx) in Northern Virginia. I haven't been there since they changed management, but prior to that, I remember seeing Amon Amarth, Deicide, Behemoth, Nevermore, Watain, Suffocation, and others there.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Ah yeah, Jaxx/Empire is a great venue for metal (and not much else)! Veteran metal bands schedule a lot of shows there. I've been out of the loop a while so I didn't know that Sonar finally did get shut down--I had gone there just after their last liquor license fiasco but not since. Sad to hear that.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010
Sonar is shut down for good, and unfortunately a lot of the middle-tier shows (too big for the Ottobar, too small for Rams Head) are skipping town entirely.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Symphony X was really good last night. The two openers were both terrible. Also, I was totally confused by the crowd... I've never seen so many old and out of place people at a show before. I'm talking senior citizen crowds.

The first band, Aries, was some 80's hard rock / metal type band. The singer was really good though, if he got an entirely new set of band members he might do alright, although he looked ridiculous in his Sgt Pepper / Michael Jackson jacket. The drummer was an emotionless robot. I don't think he smiled once. During the "solo battle" he sat straight in his chair staring out to nowhere the entire time. They had Skwisgaar as one of their guitarists, but it was the other one that really just got under my skin. From head to toe he was wearing: fedora, oakleys, bandana scarf, spandex muscle shirt, super tight jeans, and this black webbing half glove thing on his strumming hand. And holy gently caress he was full of himself. After their set it was clear why half of the elderly people in the crowd were there though, because the band came down into the crowd and gave their grandparents a hug. It was a very odd moment.

Second band was basically Poison the Well. They would have fit in 10+ years ago.

Soundstage had this "VIP" section which was really odd. On the right of the floor there was an elevated area with tables and people were eating burgers and chicken strips. I still don't understand all the senior citizens sitting in "VIP" not even paying attention to the music. I'm so confused.

edit: I forgot to mention all the people in the crowd with their cell phones out recording lovely videos of the bands, most of them holding their phones vertically. I knew this was a thing, but holy poo poo it was probably half the crowd. I don't know what is worse, those people, or the kids with their 800 dollar DSLRs running around like they're getting paid to take pictures of the bands.

Fiendish Dr. Wu fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Sep 12, 2012

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

edit: I forgot to mention all the people in the crowd with their cell phones out recording lovely videos of the bands, most of them holding their phones vertically. I knew this was a thing, but holy poo poo it was probably half the crowd. I don't know what is worse, those people, or the kids with their 800 dollar DSLRs running around like they're getting paid to take pictures of the bands.

The worst thing about modern life is the obsession that people have with capturing their experiences digitally rather than experiencing it themselves.

I used to do it, until I realised that, actually, going through old photos/videos of cool stuff is kind of boring after the occasion, and actually just enjoying to the full without looking at it through a little screen is actually a lot more worthwhile.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

The Perfect Element posted:

The worst thing about modern life is the obsession that people have with capturing their experiences digitally rather than experiencing it themselves.

I used to do it, until I realised that, actually, going through old photos/videos of cool stuff is kind of boring after the occasion, and actually just enjoying to the full without looking at it through a little screen is actually a lot more worthwhile.

I've been in concerts where people are not even paying attention to the gig and actually talking with each other, while holding their cameras to record videos. I really don't know what's the obsession, since for the most part their footage and photos are going to be poo poo anyway.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Non Serviam posted:

I really don't know what's the obsession, since for the most part their footage and photos are going to be poo poo anyway.

That's what I'm always thinking. In 2 seconds I could GIS a better picture of Michael Romeo than you could ever take with your stupid iPhone. Put down your loving phone and enjoy reality you dipshit.

Edit: and christ if you're going to take a video AT LEAST hold the phone horizontal. gently caress.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

That's what I'm always thinking. In 2 seconds I could GIS a better picture of Michael Romeo than you could ever take with your stupid iPhone. Put down your loving phone and enjoy reality you dipshit.

Edit: and christ if you're going to take a video AT LEAST hold the phone horizontal. gently caress.

Even if you manage to hold the camera still, which I doubt, the audio will be pure poo poo, since the microphones were not made to handle such high levels of noise.
But, yes, some people go to concerts to be able to show the experience rather than live the experience.

What's GIS?

EDIT: Google images search?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Yeah GIS is Google Image Search. Or Geographic Information Systems, at least at my job :downs:

I like to take a couple camera phone pics just to have a memory of the concert, but I also like to get lost in the music and the performance. Like Watain for example - I took a couple pictures of Erik just so I can look back and remember the show, but for the most part I just sat mesmerized by the show.

Kids these days.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

If you were anywhere near close enough to get a good photo, some beefy dude would ram into you for amusement.

darkhaven3
Sep 7, 2012

what
Steelwing - Full Speed Ahead

Happened to stumble upon this by chance. Seems appropriately badass enough to share

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

TheQat posted:

Heard the thing today and I liked it. The first track is awesome.

Feb 8, 2008

darkhaven3 posted:

Steelwing - Full Speed Ahead

Happened to stumble upon this by chance. Seems appropriately badass enough to share

From listening to a couple more tracks off that album, I have say that this is the closest I've heard a modern traditional metal band come to getting the same vibe as Riot's Thundersteel. I like it!

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngTmmOUZ_V4

New Pig Destroyer!

I kind of feel that lyric videos are a dumb trend that almost always come off goofy and low-effort, but I guess bands really want that YouTube traffic and there isn't really a better solution . . .

nudejedi
Mar 5, 2002

Shanghai Tippytap
I'm not a fan of videos with lyrics either, but the song is good and makes me even more excited for the new album.

Tshirt Ninja
Jan 1, 2010
Thanks for the replies, I've got tickets to Saint Vitus and Weedeater at Black Cat for the end of the month and will supplement with appropriate amounts of grind shows til then. It's the only way I'll stay sane living downtown. :suicide:

Sauska
Sep 12, 2012

oh snap new Elysian Blaze I should have known about this

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007

QPZIL posted:

Or Geographic Information Systems, at least at my job :downs:

Oh God do you work for Esri too?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Any of you guys into the whole "rare, collectible" side of the business happen to know if the original Osmose digipak version of Necromantia's Scarlet Evil Witching Black is particularly rare? Reason I ask is that I came across an ebay auction asking $250 for it which seemed pretty excessive.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Houseplant posted:

Oh God do you work for Esri too?

Nooo, but we work WITH Esri.

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

"Do you know how rare it is to find a girl who genuinely honest-to-god absolutely loves it up the arse?"
Is there an appropriate thread where I can rave about Halestorm's latest album?

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Ingram posted:

Is there an appropriate thread where I can rave about Halestorm's latest album?

This should work
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3505245

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Wintersun's 'Time I' has been delayed again, it's release is being pushed back once more.

http://blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=179413

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

"Do you know how rare it is to find a girl who genuinely honest-to-god absolutely loves it up the arse?"

I don't even

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Zodijackylite posted:

Wintersun's 'Time I' has been delayed again, it's release is being pushed back once more.

http://blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=179413
SON OF A.... Well okay, just a single week. At this point one week doesn't even count as a delay, really.

On an unrelated note, what's the general opinion on Satyricon here? I've been listening to Age of Nero and Now, Diabolical lately and I enjoy both quite a bit. Where do I go from here?

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
Nemesis Divina is the only album of theirs I'd call required listening. Volcano is a guilty pleasure of mine but those are the only two albums I keep around.

MoreMetalBrian
Oct 20, 2009

Well, I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!

Nordick posted:

SON OF A.... Well okay, just a single week. At this point one week doesn't even count as a delay, really.

On an unrelated note, what's the general opinion on Satyricon here? I've been listening to Age of Nero and Now, Diabolical lately and I enjoy both quite a bit. Where do I go from here?

I agree with Morbid Florist. Nemesis is good. You might like Volcano as well, if you enjoyed Now, Diabolical (especially Pentagram Burns, I think is the track).
I personally prefer Nemesis > Dark Medieval Times > Shadowthrone.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Nordick posted:

Nemesis Divina and then don't go back.

Actually that's not true the other stuff is pretty good, just not AS good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Nordick posted:

While Nemesis Divina would be considered their landmark album, I enjoy the black 'n roll of later Satyricon as well. If you like Now, Diabolical you should enjoy Volcano as well. Fuel For Hatred is one grooooooovy tune.