Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

this is riff raff summed up in one video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkWVpyM732s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikewozere
Jun 2, 2008

Aiiiii
I'm getting well into rap battles recently and have just discovered Pat Stay. He just battled Head ICE on King of The Dot and I love it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fL5ayHtnUBM Starts 3:30

Is it cool to talk about rap battling in here or is there a separate thread?

mikewozere fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Sep 13, 2012

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
"Kanye yawned his muthafucking rear end out the door"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hGqGTaXJkc

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

mikewozere posted:

I'm getting well into rap battles recently and have just discovered Pat Stay. He just battled Head ICE on King of The Dot and I love it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fL5ayHtnUBM Starts 3:30

Is it cool to talk about rap battling in here or is there a separate thread?

I talk about it in here and haven't been told not to.

Harlem Everyday All Day I Control Everything. Wolf Love.

If you want to see a very disrespectful battle watch Pat Stay vs Marvwon. Marvwon was in the deleted scenes of 8 Mile battling against Eminem. At the beginning of the Pat Stay/Marvwon battle you can see the buildup to why they agreed to it and it gets nasty quick. Pat Stay has some of the grimiest bars when he is on a disrespectful tip but he loses battles when he tries to be witty because he isn't funny as much as corny.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnoW6GsGxIM

For people who watched Fight Klub on MTV and remember Serius Jones the next rumored battle to drop from Summer Madness 2 is going to be Serius Jones vs Charlie Clips.

mikewozere
Jun 2, 2008

Aiiiii
Yeah I saw the Marvwon battle after the Head ICE one as I wanted to check a few things out. The thing about coming to the scene relatively late is you spend so much time tracking down references to past battles in people's raps that you end up on a 4 hour journey. Pat Stay's opening round against Marv is insane though, gloves off not giving a gently caress stuff.

Serius Jones was probably the guy that got me into it a long time ago watching his battle against Murda Mook. Then I found out there's a British league called Don't Flop and found KoTD through there. KoTD are releasing their World Domination videos and I think there's one out later tonight.

Lalus
Jul 12, 2009
You think we could have a battle-rap megathread? The scene is absolutely huge right now and discussions in here might take over the thread. Hell even talking about what Lux did in his comeback would take pages. 4 days out and his battle has over 500k views, 4.5k likes and 19k comments :stare:. You gon' get this work!

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Lalus posted:

You think we could have a battle-rap megathread? The scene is absolutely huge right now and discussions in here might take over the thread. Hell even talking about what Lux did in his comeback would take pages. 4 days out and his battle has over 500k views, 4.5k likes and 19k comments :stare:. You gon' get this work!

I will start one and edit the link into this post.

e: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3506690

Rousimar Pauladeen fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Sep 13, 2012

mikewozere
Jun 2, 2008

Aiiiii

Lalus posted:

I'm halfway through it and the comments are making me wonder what Lux is going to do in his second...

A megathread's a great idea but how would we structure discussion? There's a lot of videos I wanna talk about but we can't do it all at once. I could write a bit about Don't Flop if you need me to.

Lalus
Jul 12, 2009
Cheers Frot! I figure discussion can revolve around upcoming events (Arsonal v Math main event is this weekend), SMACKs slowass release schedule, Aye Verb blogs or anytime Aye Verb calls a radio station and theres a lot of history to go through for those newer to the scene. Assuming enough interest, it could work like the UFC megathreads, since the staggered release dates of battles, ppvs, live events tend to keep the whole thing moving. Combine that with the whatever random videos people want to talk about theres more than enough content. I'm gonna do a write-up for Lux v Calicoe for people who don't know the history behind the match-up.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

mikewozere posted:

I'm halfway through it and the comments are making me wonder what Lux is going to do in his second...

A megathread's a great idea but how would we structure discussion? There's a lot of videos I wanna talk about but we can't do it all at once. I could write a bit about Don't Flop if you need me to.

If you could that would be great. I just put a link to my post. I think we can post videos and talk about that and it would be fine as Summer Madness 2 videos and World Domination 3 videos are still coming out. I know about DF through Eurgh but am not as familiar with the UK scene as I should be.

e: You're welcome Lalus. If you do that write up without the video from the Calicoe - Math battle from Summer Madness 1 I will be sad.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Cruel Summer is out in the wild and it really is only 12 songs. 5 we have already heard. Don't have an opinion yet.

Aumuller
Jun 25, 2009

The horror..
Brother Ali did that incredible freestyle posted last page and now this single:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HwATJMeOYU

Pretty excited about his upcoming album.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

RBX posted:

Cruel Summer is out in the wild and it really is only 12 songs. 5 we have already heard. Don't have an opinion yet.

Whats the production like

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
Brother Ali is really good at rapping making music

Cruel Summer is pretty good, production is solid on the tracks we haven't heard yet, but nothing as good as on the tracks already released (The Morning and Sin City are both up there though). Also, holy poo poo I didn't realize there was a Ma$e feature.

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Sep 13, 2012

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

"HHDX posted:

At a recent live show, Lupe Fiasco apologized to Chief Keef for his recent comments that he's afraid of "the culture that [Chief Keef] represents." He indicates that he's not in a position to judge another man, and at the end of the day, hopes Chief Keef will be successful in his career.

"I'm far from where I wanna be, I'm far from being a stand-up human being, I'm far from being a knowledgeable and wise young man as well," he said. "I'm somewhere in the middle. I ain't no saint, but with that said, I love my brother. I want to see him succeed and do his thing, and that goes for everybody anywhere everywhere in the world. Shout out to the big homie Chief Keef."

Really? At least stand by what you believe. gently caress em both

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

lupe fiasco is really becoming a parody of himself at this point

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

http://mixtapewire.com/2012/08/waka-flocka-flame-salute-shoot-4-official-mixtape/

new flocka mixtape

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
I don't know, if he was coming from a truly positive place in that "apology" or whatever then I don't see how you can really fault him.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

an skeleton posted:

I don't know, if he was coming from a truly positive place in that "apology" or whatever then I don't see how you can really fault him.

I just don't believe him is all. Chief Keef is literally the exact kind of entertainer that Lupe has been rallying against for his entire career, so I really don't buy into his apology. Lupe's whole catalog tells us pretty directly that he IS afraid of what Chief Keef represents, so for Lupe to call him out and then backpedal so quickly is sort of weird.

Part of this reaction is that I'm just beyond frustrated with Lupe on the music front right now and it's probably clouding my opinions

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Sep 13, 2012

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Professor Funk posted:

I just don't believe him is all. Chief Keef is literally the exact kind of entertainer that Lupe has been rallying against for his entire career, so I really don't buy into his apology. Lupe's whole catalog tells us pretty directly that he IS afraid of what Chief Keef represents, so for Lupe to call him out and then backpedal so quickly is sort of weird.

Part of this reaction is that I'm just beyond frustrated with Lupe on the music front right now and it's probably clouding my opinions

Yeah I agree with pretty much all of this. Lupe just seems all over the place now. He called out Keef which while I didn't necessarily agree with, I could at least understand (taking it at face value, I never really believed Lupe was all that sincere). Now he's like "yeah all that stuff I said about murder and killing being bad? nevermind that, make money from all that poo poo and get yours". The whole thing just stinks of him trying to start something, but then he didn't get whatever pub he wanted from it so he's backpedalling trying to get more attention or something. It's lame as hell and just makes him look bad. Keef pretty much talked a little poo poo and then entirely ignored him and somehow comes out looking better. For Lupe (who seems at times like a genuinely thoughtful dude and at least passably intelligent) to not be able to come out on top of a war of words with a dude who is dumb as a box of rocks is really shameful. Especially when he's the one who started talking in the first place.

Thing is, if his album is full of lamborghini angels and not bad bitches (and whatever that last single he released was, good grief it was something straight from lazers) I won't care if he's a giant cornball cause his music's nice.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

alansmithee posted:

Thing is, if his album is full of lamborghini angels and not bad bitches (and whatever that last single he released was, good grief it was something straight from lazers) I won't care if he's a giant cornball cause his music's nice.

Yeah, The Cool is probably one of my top 5 albums from the 2000s (and maybe favorite albums ever) so I really, really want to like everything Lupe puts out. Lasers was obviously a disaster, and I'm really not sure what to think about Food & Liquor 2. On one hand, songs like Bitch Bad and the fact that THE ALBUM COVER IS BLACK WITH NO ART HURR makes me think that Lupe has just become totally boring and uncreative in his criticisms of rap, the music industry, etc. On the other, songs like Lamborghini Angels give me some hope that he might be able to get back to what made him so good in the first place.

WIth that said, I don't think he'll ever match this track.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Professor Funk posted:

Yeah, The Cool is probably one of my top 5 albums from the 2000s (and maybe favorite albums ever) so I really, really want to like everything Lupe puts out. Lasers was obviously a disaster, and I'm really not sure what to think about Food & Liquor 2. On one hand, songs like Bitch Bad and the fact that THE ALBUM COVER IS BLACK WITH NO ART HURR makes me think that Lupe has just become totally boring and uncreative in his criticisms of rap, the music industry, etc. On the other, songs like Lamborghini Angels give me some hope that he might be able to get back to what made him so good in the first place.

WIth that said, I don't think he'll ever match this track.

I'm at work so I cant check the link but that better be SLR

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

alansmithee posted:

I'm at work so I cant check the link but that better be SLR

Nah it's The Coolest, it was either that or The Emperor's Soundtrack. SLR is awesome too though

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

"The whole world's a couch, and I'm Rick James tonight"

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

ScarletOHara posted:

Yeah, it's over here too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2yLNEfhPKw

Also it would be so much better if someone had wrestled the mic away from SGP before he started rapping.

Also there is a 5 second segment in there from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-l4E8E5TGc, which owns.
I really like SGP's rapping. His lyrics aren't anything special but the alternating triplet and eighth note flow reminds me of Bone Thugs or Triple Six and I can't help but dig it

da da da DA -- da da da da da da DA

That's a weird thing to notice or whatever I have weird opinions I just like the flow and his lyrical content is ridiculous with the over the top dark subject matter and attitude and the beats are some grimy lo-fi dragged and dropped in Windows Sound Recorder type stuff and it all comes together n a package that reminds me of older darker poo poo

ashgromnies fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Sep 14, 2012

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

ashgromnies posted:

I really like SGP's rapping. His lyrics aren't anything special but the alternating triplet and eighth note flow reminds me of Bone Thugs or Triple Six and I can't help but dig it

da da da DA -- da da da da da da DA

That's a weird thing to notice or whatever I have weird opinions I just like the flow and his lyrical content is ridiculous with the over the top dark subject matter and attitude and the beats are some grimy lo-fi dragged and dropped in Windows Sound Recorder type stuff and it all comes together n a package that reminds me of older darker poo poo

I think you're pretty much on point with his style, but (and I hate to admit this) I think Lil Ugly Mane does it better. Or, he's at least making better music currently. Blackland 666 was such a grimy album, Mysterious Phonk just sounded bad next to it (ironically part of the reason it sounded "bad" was that it sounded better). I think he's a dec4ent enough rapper and I still check for his music, but currently I think his production is way superior.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

So I tried listening to the Slaughterhouse album again yesterday and just switched to the first album like four songs in. God dammit it's so bad. Flip a Bird is catchy as gently caress though....

Edit: In other news, Kendrick released his album art.

I think it's pretty cool honestly

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Sep 14, 2012

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with
Phat Radical Mathematical type Scriptures
HEY he "shark niggaz"d that off Gibbs cover for Shame! Before he could even flip it and bounce it like first of all.

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

If you've got white people problems I feel bad for you son
I've got 99 problems but being socially privileged ain't one
Everyone of the SH guys make better music than they do together, and the poo poo they started with like Fight Club was better than anything on that album.

Still, apparently the Kreayshawn album is out there, so it's won't be the worst album you could listen to.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

The Rooster posted:

Everyone of the SH guys make better music than they do together, and the poo poo they started with like Fight Club was better than anything on that album.

Still, apparently the Kreayshawn album is out there, so it's won't be the worst album you could listen to.

The EP with tracks like Sun Doobie and Fight Club and Move On was really good and got me really excited for the eventual album, but that was a while ago. Hammer Dance was pretty cool, but then My Life and Throw it Away and that track with Eminem or whatever dropped and I wanted to kill myself.

Don't some people in this thread legitimately like Kreayshawn or am I making that up

epic funhaver
Jun 8, 2011

by Debbie Metallica
I think the album art is lovely and tryhard and not cool like the section.80 art

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Professor Funk posted:

Don't some people in this thread legitimately like Kreayshawn or am I making that up
They "legitimately" like her (ironically legitmately, legitimately).

Although I have to admit when she's not making her "i'm totally hard, for real" face Lil Debbie is just the cutest thing . :3:

And with how bad the music Slaughterhouse makes is, I'm kinda glad the Four Horseman never made an actual album cause I can imagine it would've actually been really good instead of Killah Priest and Canibus trying to out-crazy each other while Rass Kass burns the last of his credibility trying to get a radio hit.

Really though, I don't see how they thought combining 4 artists who never really did much when their style of music was popular would've magically caused people to care. Dudes just aren't that good at making songs that people want to listen to. And they all have solo albums that have blown their group outings away so idk.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I feel the same way. I'd really rather hear Joe solo and I just skip to his verses in every song anyway.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

alansmithee posted:

Really though, I don't see how they thought combining 4 artists who never really did much when their style of music was popular would've magically caused people to care. Dudes just aren't that good at making songs that people want to listen to. And they all have solo albums that have blown their group outings away so idk.

I've heard the whole "group chemistry" thing with SH but I don't really buy it because the first album was loving wild, and I remember people around here were going crazy about it when it first came out. The first album was so good and got a fair amount of attention because they did it the right way; it was just four dudes trying to outrap one another on every track and it was awesome.

Anyways, here's some BE3 Royce that's pretty good

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
No, the first Slaughterhouse album was boring as poo poo as well.

edit: bonus lovely points for relegating Pharoahe Monch to a hook

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

If you've got white people problems I feel bad for you son
I've got 99 problems but being socially privileged ain't one
The first SH album at least delivered if you were just looking for rappity rap rap (which I was, and enjoyed greatly), the second doesn't deliver on any level really.

You can identify the group "chemistry" of SH by just seeing how they came together. Joe Budden wanted a song on his digital album with a bunch of dudes just rapping real good, so he found a bunch of said dudes. They got together and proceeded to rap real good. There's nothing more tying these four together whatsoever, so for them to try to force it to be anything more was bound to go sideways.

epic funhaver
Jun 8, 2011

by Debbie Metallica
if it was joell and joe budden it would be a cool group

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I like the Kendrick Lamar album art. I think it's the simplicity of it that I like. Just a lovely Polaroid.

Anyway: SGP and Raider Klan. I'm ok with SGP, because he does not abuse the staccato style. But holy poo poo, everyone else on Raider Klan does it. It's so monotonous when you hear them do it in every song and on every verse. Super bland. At least SGP does songs like Suck a Dick for 2011 and Grind on Me and whatnot.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Brother Ali album sounding real nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Yeah, Mr. MF eXquire is the truth. I like that dude. He's like a young DOOM. gently caress Big Krit, he doesn't believe in evolution. What was I thinking?

• Locked thread