Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

Hirayuki posted:

This, maybe? (I didn't see it on FujiTV's GCCX page.)

That is the game for #147. Thanks for the info. Anyone know what this game is like.

joek0 fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Sep 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

joek0 posted:

That is the game for #147. Thanks for the info. Anyone know what this game is like.

Harvest Moon but with a focus on fishing instead of farming basically.

Jimmy Colorado
Apr 16, 2010
Is there a special fishing reel controller for the Super Famicom that Arino could use with this game? Because that would be awesome.

I also think Kan should make Arino wear a fishing tackle vest. And a hat.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Has Arino ever playerd a Harvest Moon game? I dunno how entertaining an episode it would make, but hell if they can make quiz shows interesting, there might be something to it :v:

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Maybe if they focused on the social interactions rather than the farming.

Erwin Tuwonwon
Oct 30, 2011

zari-gani posted:

You might be thinking of how amai means sweet, but when you say someone is being amai it means they're greatly underestimating someone or something.

That sounds about right. It probably came up in some discussion on avoiding trying to simply translate more connotative meanings when speaking another language, as you may do if you're struggling. Thanks!

Corridor posted:

On like every page there's something that has been left in the original French, with the English translation after it in brackets. I'm not even talking about names and titles and mottos and quotes, I mean just regular terms and concepts. Sometimes they don't even bother translating it and just leave that poo poo there IN FRENCH so you have to guess. It's so annoying. Just write the goddamn translation into the narrative and stop jarring me out of the loving story.

God, this happens to all the time. It's really common. Normally it bugs me a bit when an author has completely random French sayings come out of nowhere that really aren't universal (which only worked well once, in a book told from the perspective of a slightly self-important writer), but in translations? Terrible. I really don't mind footnotes as they're vital for certain older period speak or references, but pointless non-translation is dreadful.

vvv
Son of River King? River King Gaiden? The Guardian's Decisive Battle: River King's Son?

Erwin Tuwonwon fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Sep 13, 2012

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
I'm interested in this Legend of River King challenge (what should we call it? Only two of the Kawa no Nushi Turi games came out in English... Legend of River King 2 is KnNT 4, and Legend of the River King is KnNT 3, so... Legend of River King Zero??). I love the more unorthodox challenges. Here's some gameplay footage. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzSm13voe4c
ETA: Three games, not two.

I'm surprised that French words being left untranslated is a common thing. French is so much closer to English than Japanese is.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Sep 13, 2012

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
The obvious answer is "Legend of the River King: Part Deux".

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

What episode has the squishy pig? Im down to like, 3 unwatched episodes and 8ish eps i only got halfway through, I imagine I would have seen it by now.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
Discotek just updated their Facebook cover photo.

I know this isn't really "news", but it's awesome seeing zari's awesome GCCX artwork being spread. :)

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Uznare posted:

Harvest Moon but with a focus on fishing instead of farming basically.

Both are from Natsume, so it's pretty apt. In fact, the PS2 River King game was released as Harvest Fishing in Europe.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Meme Emulator posted:

What episode has the squishy pig? Im down to like, 3 unwatched episodes and 8ish eps i only got halfway through, I imagine I would have seen it by now.

He buys it during the Korea trip episode and throws it a lot in the Sword of Musashi episode.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Mister Chief posted:

He buys it during the Korea trip episode and throws it a lot in the Sword of Musashi episode.

Oh, no wonder, sword of Musashi is one of the ones I never finished. I guess thats next on the list!

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Drakkel posted:

Both are from Natsume, so it's pretty apt. In fact, the PS2 River King game was released as Harvest Fishing in Europe.

They used to have a lot of crossover between the games as well.

Personally I think a River King GCCX would be boring as hell, although I hope to be proven wrong. It really is just fishing. NPC interaction is fairly minimal and literally all you do is catch and collect a million types of fish. At least that's how it was in the ones I played...

zari-gani posted:

I'm surprised that French words being left untranslated is a common thing. French is so much closer to English than Japanese is.

That's kind of the reason. A classical English education used to include French and Latin, and scholars would pepper their prose with little quotes and phrases in those languages to prove how learned they were. It was kind of assumed that anyone reading it would have received the same education. I have no idea if they still teach that poo poo these days, but I wouldn't be surprised if people who translate classics are academics, rather than just good writers with a firm understanding of both languages.

Penguin tends to have better translations, but this edition was by Wordsworth. I used to have a bunch of Aristophanes' plays, also published by Wordsworth, that were utterly indecipherable. Aristophanes was a very satirical and very filthy comedic playwright. There are scenes that require every man in the cast to have a giant fake erection strapped to his crotch. A faithful translation should have you giggling like a schoolchild the whole way through. But this book was all in the most boring, dry, verbose prose. And all the dick jokes had been changed or just removed.

loving nerds, man. They don't get that the entire point of a translation is to make it accessible to people who don't share your knowledge of languages. It literally seems like they only do it to punish you for not being as smart as them. "Oh, what's that? You thought an English translation would actually be entirely in English? Ugh you people are so entitled! Maybe you should stop complaining and go learn Japanese/French/Ancient Greek you dumb jocks!"

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
I don't know why GeGeGe No Kitaro was one of the candidates in the Musashi episode, I thought that game doesn't have an ending and just loops. Don't they usually have a criteria if "it it loops, we can't do it"? or does that godforsaken Bandai game end?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

zari-gani posted:

Corridor posted:

This edition [of Hunchback] was by Wordsworth.

Maybe it was a Chiac edition? :v:

And in all seriousness, while "closer" to English that Japanese, English-French is nowhere near a cut-and-dry thing, which I'm appreciating a lot more as my wife tries to learn Quebec French. I'm still regularly running into words and expressions I don't know in French. This even happens when I watch Disney films.

univbee fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Sep 13, 2012

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

zari-gani posted:

I'm interested in this Legend of River King challenge (what should we call it? Only two of the Kawa no Nushi Turi games came out in English... Legend of River King 2 is KnNT 4, and Legend of the River King is KnNT 3, so... Legend of River King Zero??). I love the more unorthodox challenges. Here's some gameplay footage. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzSm13voe4c

But then, what is KnNT 1? Legend of the River King -1?

I think it'd be better to call it "Legend of the River King 2" and then maybe due that thing you do when the game has a vastly different title, and put NA: Unreleased or something like that.

Edit: As for the French stuff:

For a while, it was en vogue to put random French phrases into your work. By being as French as possible, you created this facade of high culture, and anyone who did not understand, well, they were unimportant. Thankfully, such gaucherie is now seen as a faux pas.

Cemetry Gator fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Sep 13, 2012

Spaz Medicine
Feb 22, 2008

zari-gani posted:

Oh man, I loved Legend of River King on the Game Boy. I can't wait to watch this challenge.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mace Bacon posted:

I don't know why GeGeGe No Kitaro was one of the candidates in the Musashi episode, I thought that game doesn't have an ending and just loops. Don't they usually have a criteria if "it it loops, we can't do it"? or does that godforsaken Bandai game end?

I think there's multiple Kitaro games so you may be thinking of a different one. They used that game as the challenge in episode 104...

I've been wanting to try out one of the River King console games for a while now so I'm interested in seeing where this challenge goes. I just ordered the PS2 game so I can at least get a vague idea of what the series is like.

As for the title... Legend of the River King 2 is already taken by the Game Boy release. All of the US releases have used "River King" in the title so that's a must. If we wanted to go the crazy localization route then it would have been called Super River King if they had been bringing the series to the US consistently. I'd have to say just "River King 2" is the easiest way to go; drop the "Legend of" since not all of the North American releases used it (the PS2 game is River King: A Wonderful Journey). It both conveys the idea that it's the second in the series, connects with the games released in the US and doesn't step onto the Game Boy games. We can just plug our ears and pretend that the Game Boy games are the spin offs if anyone complains. :v:

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!

Random Stranger posted:

I think there's multiple Kitaro games so you may be thinking of a different one. They used that game as the challenge in episode 104...

Nope, I was right, ep 104 had a Super Famicom Kitaro game. http://strategywiki.org/wiki/Ninja_Kid

quote:

The game has no ending; after defeating all 8 bosses, the game continues back at the first boss at a higher degree of difficulty

Maybe they wanted to mess with Arino by telling him after defeating all 8 bosses that there was no ending? :v: Because that game IS hard.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Random Stranger posted:

We can just plug our ears and pretend that the Game Boy games are the spin offs if anyone complains. :v:

That's not the right answer! The correct and best answer is always "You dare question my reasoning? I am the awesome translator, and you're lucky I decided not to represent 'I'm scared' as 'kwai!'"

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
Instead of inventing numbers, why not just put like "US: Part of the River King series"?

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
How about "Legend of River King 2 (SNES version)"?

univbee posted:

And in all seriousness, while "closer" to English that Japanese, English-French is nowhere near a cut-and-dry thing, which I'm appreciating a lot more as my wife tries to learn Quebec French. I'm still regularly running into words and expressions I don't know in French. This even happens when I watch Disney films.

Ah, touché.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Sep 13, 2012

FireCar
Sep 20, 2002

What's this?!
River King 2: Electric Boogaloo
River King 2: Judgement Bay
The Codfather part 2

[/bad puns]

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

FireCar posted:

The Codfather part 2

[/bad puns]

I think my favorite one is The Codfather Part 2. :golfclap:

Erwin Tuwonwon
Oct 30, 2011

Cemetry Gator posted:

Thankfully, such gaucherie is now seen as a faux pas.

Boo.

FireCar posted:

The Codfather part 2

[/bad puns]

The possibilities are endless...
River King 2: River Kinger
River King 2: The Wrath of Prawn
River King 2: The New Catch
Rever King 2: Red, White, and Spawned
River King 2: The Crickening

Erwin Tuwonwon posted:

River King 2: The Crickening

Boo.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

How can we forget the best title of them all:

River King 2 Wet, 2 Slippery.

And I'm going to stop here.

Jesus Christ, what the gently caress is wrong with me?

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
stealing your mother's diary
Oh man I LOVE River King for the gameboy. This rules.

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

"I'm here for you. To make children smile, to make profits rise, I am the subservient of the network.

"... did we get all that on tape?"
I recently played Umi no Nushi Tsuri (Legend of the gently caress YEAH SEAKING) for the SFC, and could totally see Arino's reaction to getting his rear end handed to him by a cat. That's what you get for going around smelling like fish.

Miss that Freshverse stream, though. I used to leave it on and become terrified by what Japan puts on television, like a comedy duo barging into peoples' homes and demanding gyoza. (Also, it made me hungry.)

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I wonder what a Super Robot Wars challenge would be like. Since the games take a while, it might be something better reserved for the live 24 hour challenge.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

I've been thinking that since Dragon Quest is kinda a Thing in Japan, it would make a good challenge for him to do the first one for a 24 hour challenge. If he played the SNES version, it would be pretty doable what with the GP and EXP being doubled and all. I'm sure Arino has played it, maybe even beaten it, so he might beat it too quickly, though.

I guess I just really want to watch him play through it cause they always teased us by putting it in the title sequence.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

I've been thinking that since Dragon Quest is kinda a Thing in Japan, it would make a good challenge for him to do the first one for a 24 hour challenge. If he played the SNES version, it would be pretty doable what with the GP and EXP being doubled and all. I'm sure Arino has played it, maybe even beaten it, so he might beat it too quickly, though.

I guess I just really want to watch him play through it cause they always teased us by putting it in the title sequence.

My suspicion is that it's just too popular. Arino knows the game very well and it isn't much of a challenge.

OTOH, it wouldn't shock me if they have Arino play Dragon Quest as some kind of special segment. It would have made more sense to do that last year, though, with the DQ anniversary.

Arino has played Dragon Quest IX on the show, though they don't show the screen when he has his DS out and is playing it...

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

As RS said, it would probably be a special of some sort or a DVD thing, but several opportunities have passed already (DQ9, Wii collection, DQ10). I've said this here before, but I'm still of the mind that DQ or any full-on RPG would be just too boring for the show, especially a live one, because with something like Lemmings or Pilotwings there's a persistent suspense in wondering if he'll beat that one stage this time; it's twitch stuff, and less predictable. An RPG would be mostly leveling, and the suspense wouldn't be there (or it would be stupidly forced, like if Arino went to a high-level part of the map while he was still level 10 or something).

Seith
Sep 28, 2011
River King 2: Catch Up 2 The Streams

edit: River King 2: Bass and Trout's Bogus Journey

Seith fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Sep 14, 2012

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

Zeether posted:

I wonder what a Super Robot Wars challenge would be like. Since the games take a while, it might be something better reserved for the live 24 hour challenge.

I kind of feel like if they were going to go with a game along those lines, they'd be better off with the Great Battle/Compati Hero series. SRW games aren't terribly visually interesting and draw a lot of their interest from the narrative interaction between series, and at the same time will often focus on series that are relatively obscure and not of a whole lot of interest to anyone except focused mecha nerds. Great Battle/Compati Hero is instead focused on three relatively popular franchises, and since a lot of the games are action (or sports in some cases) would probably make a more watchable challenge than a tactics game like SRW.

That said, I don't actually know enough about any specific Great Battle game to recommend which one to play. Also, they did Famicom Jump so they're clearly not averse to a slow-paced RPG-type megacrossover - that said, it's probably worth noting that Famicom Jump focused on series from a specific slice of time that happens to come pretty close to when Arino was about the right age to be reading a lot of Jump.

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
stealing your mother's diary

NBHS posted:

Miss that Freshverse stream, though. I used to leave it on and become terrified by what Japan puts on television, like a comedy duo barging into peoples' homes and demanding gyoza. (Also, it made me hungry.)

For those of you wanting to watch Japanese TV, http://www.freshverse.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=921

I don't think we've found one for the channel GCCX is on yet though. Hope it's okay to post this here (I assume so because Freshverse was okay to post here in the first place)

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

rdbbb posted:

An RPG would be mostly leveling, and the suspense wouldn't be there (or it would be stupidly forced, like if Arino went to a high-level part of the map while he was still level 10 or something).

The only way I can imagine it is if they did something iconic and exploitable, like FF8 or Chrono Trigger, and kept it in the spirit of the Pilotwings episode, by having previous crew members coming out on stage in cosplay, and act out all of the dialogue scenes for Arino.

.. I don't know why I imagined something so bizarre, but at least it would make it fun, and would keep people tuned in for the full 24 hours, because you know what scenes are coming up, and want to see how much fun it is to see it being acted out.

Thinking about it, FF8 would be the perfect game? They can just go 2 hours before telling Arino that he can open and close the Playstation's disc cover to completely avoid random battles, and cut the challenge down to exploration, dialogue scenes and boss fights?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

I just can't imagine an RPG episode really being worth watching. They would take too long, and they wouldn't provide enough of a unique challenge. There would really be no tension (not as in energy) because Arino would never really be tested. Also, the games would be too long, thus limiting the amount of time Arino would have to really be interesting since things would have to keep moving.

In the adventure games, part of why they work is that Arino is able to riff on the scenes, and they are short enough to allow for plenty of that. And watching Arino cheat through FF8 wouldn't be enjoyable.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I want to see him play Persona 4. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Tyma posted:

The only way I can imagine it is if they did something iconic and exploitable, like FF8 or Chrono Trigger, and kept it in the spirit of the Pilotwings episode, by having previous crew members coming out on stage in cosplay, and act out all of the dialogue scenes for Arino.

What if current crew members are dressed in costume?