Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seiken
Feb 7, 2005

hah ha ha

Mug posted:

I picked up a matches and a torch, pressing W was to Wear stuff, though, and it kept saying I can't wear that. I was to Wield, but the wield menu didn't seem to respond to any key presses. After a while i keyboard mashed and my torch caught fire but I don't know how I did it.

Then the bats came.

Oh, capital W is different from small w; w is wear, W is wield
Edit: the random maps are the only other feature that aren't completely half-assed right now.

seiken fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Sep 15, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper

Mug posted:

Added you to the OP, do you have facebook or twitter you'd like people to follow, too?

Sure, twitter is @ckunzelman. Thanks for adding me.

Also, Ularg I listened to the first track you made and now it is stuck in my head super hard. That never happens to me, so great job.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

seiken posted:

Oh, capital W is different from small w, w is wear, W is wield
Edit: the random maps are the only other feature that aren't completely half-assed right now.

The lighting/line of sight is clearly beautiful.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

seiken posted:

Hey cool, thanks for the new thread.

You can add me to this thing if you like, my twitter is @grandseiken but I mostly just follow people and don't use it very much.

Riding the exhilaration of having released an actual complete game my next project is obviously a roguelike that will optimistically take 90 years to make. In celebration of the new thread I wanted to show it off but since roguelikes aren't suited well to videos or screenshots I'll just throw up what I have right now. (If you start in the dark which you should probably restart for until you get an indoor unlit map since it's way cooler, press . to pick up the matches and torch which will be at your feet, W to wield the torch and then l to light it. Pretty much all you can do right now is set things on fire and get attacked by bats which also set you on fire. The rest of the (implemented) commands are listed if you press ?) (If you have any comments about it please say so, I don't know much about UI design)
Send WiiSpace to indiegames.com and indiegamemag.com, dude. It's awesome. Pretty sure you'd get a bump.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Kunzelman posted:

Sure, twitter is @ckunzelman. Thanks for adding me.

Also, Ularg I listened to the first track you made and now it is stuck in my head super hard. That never happens to me, so great job.

You have no idea how much that means, thanks man!

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Okay so basically I'm going to be 21 in December and it's about time I start getting my life in order. If I want to be a video game designer, what sort of college programs should I be looking at? Should I be taking both programming and art classes? I'm pretty lost when it comes to the whole education thing.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Upmarket Mango posted:

Okay so basically I'm going to be 21 in December and it's about time I start getting my life in order. If I want to be a video game designer, what sort of college programs should I be looking at? Should I be taking both programming and art classes? I'm pretty lost when it comes to the whole education thing.

Statistics!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Upmarket Mango posted:

Linguistics!

As for art and poo poo it depends on what kinds of games you want to be making. Indie titles? Draw in English class. Every day. Develop your own style and get really comfortable with it, like "I can draw stuff that is recognizably mine in like a minute." Otherwise yeah you're probably best off taking proper art courses and learning the elements of shading. Still develop your own technique, I started out drawing awful doe-eyed anime crap and ended up with a sort of a natural, if unrefined, storyboard-of-a-picture book style. It has no place among the Next Starcraft 2 Marine Armor Design, but it works for... well, cartoony storybook stuff, haha.

An actual sprite frame. Is that ganja? I don't know, you tell me.

I might not be the best source to answer, but even though my progress on my own stuff is very slow, I can honestly say that the best thing I could've done (and did) was just develop a really wide skill set. My programming's absolutely my weakest part, but poo poo, it works, and that's what matters unless you wanna work at like Obsidian or some other pro ice place. University's for picking up a little bit of everything, and you're 21, that's what, maybe your junior year if you went right out of high school? Plenty of time to get really good at one or two things, and get a background in a third.

Stay away from Creative Writing, though, and just read tons of books, dogg. That's the best creative writing course you could ever give yourself. Totally serious about the linguistics part, too: it won't necessarily give you the math or logic tools for programming, but it'll give you a good syntactical and analytical skillset. Get a historical linguistics course if you can, but those are usually 400-level.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Sep 15, 2012

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Upmarket Mango posted:

What do you mean by designer? Do you want to be a one-man studio making small-scale indie games? Are you aiming at getting hired as an 'idea' guy at a major studio? Do you want to write dialogue trees and quest descriptions and storylines? Are you just looking at working on more or less any level in the video game design process, willing to specialize towards whatever will get you in the door?

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

OtspIII posted:

What do you mean by designer? Do you want to be a one-man studio making small-scale indie games? Are you aiming at getting hired as an 'idea' guy at a major studio? Do you want to write dialogue trees and quest descriptions and storylines? Are you just looking at working on more or less any level in the video game design process, willing to specialize towards whatever will get you in the door?

Mostly the one man indie studio, but being the "idea guy" at a major studio would be cool too. I was under the assumption that designers did a bit of everything, whether that be coding/modeling/whatever and just doing what needs to be done and helping out where they can while also guiding a game in it's development from just an idea to a finished product.

I'm trying not to sound too naive :blush:

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

CloseFriend posted:

You're pretty much right.

I used to use Game Maker heavily. If you're willing to get your feet wet with programming, it's capable of a surprising amount in 2D. You can make pretty much anything 2D with enough patience. I know it has particle effects and some very limited 3D capabilities. I haven't used it since I accidentally waited too long for a free upgrade (a bugfix, really) and they said I had to rebuy the whole program just for a bugfix. :argh:

I did this same thing, but it turns out you can still upgrade it if you can find the link. At least this was the case just a few months ago. I honestly can't remember how I did it, but I think it involved some google-fu to track down the proper link. Wish I could help you more.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Upmarket Mango posted:

Mostly the one man indie studio, but being the "idea guy" at a major studio would be cool too. I was under the assumption that designers did a bit of everything, whether that be coding/modeling/whatever and just doing what needs to be done and helping out where they can while also guiding a game in it's development from just an idea to a finished product.

Nah, it's cool. We all wanted to be a golden god ideas guy at one point. I wished I could be an ideas guy who wrote dialog trees and full scripts like Shigesato Itoi, but I realized I had none of the clout of that brilliant man, $0 to hire people with, a potential income of $3/day after gas and taxes and decided if I wanted a house, I had to build it with my own hands.

It should be more clear in the OP--not a shot at you, Mug, you a bro--: you wanna be a one man army, you gotta learn or teach yourself how to do the work of an army. You wanna be an ideas guy, you gotta have the funds to hire that army to do the work for you.

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Upmarket Mango posted:

One-man developer is doable, but also probably not something you should quit your day job for--you should only really pursue it if you can accept the fact that odds are good you'll never be able to make a living wage off of it. If that's what you're aiming for I'm not really sure what to tell you about school, either--you really need to be good at everything for something like that.

People may disagree with me on this, but for you I'd actually say that you should spend a year teaching yourself to make games (ideally treating it like a second job--30 to 40 hours a week) before you pick a school. Figure out what it is about games that interest you, what your weaknesses are, etc, and then use your education to reinforce your strengths and patch up your weaknesses. You'll get a lot more out of school if you come into it with a pre-established skill-set to apply everything you're learning towards refining.

As for what major you should ultimately pick, any major will give you something. Comp Sci will make you a better coder, Lit will make you better at understanding story structures and some of the philosophical issues lying behind gaming, Art History will give you a really strong visual background to draw on when creating art, but Studio Art will actually make you better at creating it. Figure out what you want your big strength to be and pick something that'll reinforce it, and don't let yourself bullshit yourself.

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!
So, I kind of got interested in looking back into game development after doing the competition back in July, even though I didn't make anything that great I still had a great deal of fun doing it, and thought maybe it'd be worth pursuing as a way to learn mobile development if not make something out of it. The thing is I only really know Flash primarily, with some C++/OpenGL things that never really went anywhere, I have a bunch of Android devices so I thought I might focus on that, but I spent quite a bit of last month banging my head against things in the process of learning it.

I guess what my question is, what's a good way to start getting into that as someone from my perspective? Am I being dumb for focusing on Android and not iOS? Or should I be looking more into something like Unity?

Also, as a bit of a different thing, I ended up hobbling some music together for the gamedev game using GarageBand for iPad, for someone doing indie type stuff is there a better tool for doing that or good places to learn music theory type stuff? Alternatively, are there any good places for getting things like royalty free music that doesn't sound too terrible?

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

Red Mike posted:

I'd PM, but no platinum. I'd like to be added to the OP.

Michael Red
Twitter: @MikeRedhorse

Oh hey you're the guy behind pYendor! Nice to see someone else worked on making a roguelike using Python and libtcod.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

The White Dragon posted:

you wanna be a one man army, you gotta learn or teach yourself how to do the work of an army. You wanna be an ideas guy, you gotta have the funds to hire that army to do the work for you.

Gonna work this into the OP in some way because that's a genuine bunch of words.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
loving hell, trying to draw a black border around a not-square window had me loving stumped for ages.

Stupid poo poo like this sometimes adds another 12 hours onto my development time. Now I've gotta make "Close" buttons. Point-and-click menu interfaces are a horrible thing to develop.

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011

Senso posted:

Oh hey you're the guy behind pYendor! Nice to see someone else worked on making a roguelike using Python and libtcod.

Well that was a bit of unexpected recognition to get. Thanks for that. I really need get back to developing it though, on an extended break so far.

Mug posted:

loving hell, trying to draw a black border around a not-square window had me loving stumped for ages.

Stupid poo poo like this sometimes adds another 12 hours onto my development time. Now I've gotta make "Close" buttons. Point-and-click menu interfaces are a horrible thing to develop.

Not square as in...trapezoidal or whatever, or just rectangular?

RhysD
Feb 7, 2009

Bust it!
Mmmm new topic smell! You can use this for MMF2 if you want.

Multimedia Fusion 2

Advantages

Extremely useful for creating prototypes quickly straight from ideas floating around in your head.
A tonne of plugins that add extra functionality.
Easy to understand for someone with little to no coding knowledge.
Helpful, knowledgeable and friendly community via the Clickteam.com forums.
Exports to Windows, Mac, iOS, XNA, Flash with Android, PSP Vita and HTML5 coming soon.

Disadvantages

No real support for scripting, all event editor based. There is a LUA plugin however.
Although there is support for Hardware Acceleration, it does tend to have a few performance issues from time to time.
Some weird french logic issues.
No real support for 3D. There are a few OpenGL extensions, but they are really hard to use and confusing.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Red Mike posted:

Not square as in...trapezoidal or whatever, or just rectangular?

They're rectangular but they have little tabs along the top with various text in them.

lizzyinthesky
Mar 24, 2010

Take drugs! Kill a bear!
Ren'Py might be worth adding to the tools section. Though it's designed primarily for visual novels I've seen some decently cool work done with it (like the recently released Scheherazade by Black Chicken).

There's certainly a lot of 'special' stuff in the community but a few indie groups have released multiple commercial games to some degree of success with it.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

Jonny Retro posted:

I did this same thing, but it turns out you can still upgrade it if you can find the link. At least this was the case just a few months ago. I honestly can't remember how I did it, but I think it involved some google-fu to track down the proper link. Wish I could help you more.
That's okay; I've been using Construct since and I've developed a preference for it. It makes a lot easier once you get the hang of it!

RhysD posted:

Mmmm new topic smell! You can use this for MMF2 if you want.

Multimedia Fusion 2

How does the Developer version compare to vanilla?

CloseFriend fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Sep 15, 2012

RhysD
Feb 7, 2009

Bust it!

CloseFriend posted:

How does the Developer version compare to vanilla?

You get a few more plugins that are Developer version only, and you don't have to display the Multimedia Fusion logo if you decide to sell your game.

There's a good comparison chart here - http://www.clickteam.com/website/world/product-comparisons

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
I just sent my music guy a list of songs I want to "Sound like" and a few words of guidance for the original music tracks for my game. I'm really excited to hear what he comes back with.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

My music guy always does a great job. We trade off jobs onto each other for our projects - he does my music and cutscenes, I do his spriting and help out with gameplay. It's really awesome to have an equal who's so intimately involved with your projects that you can say "I want it to be like this" and they will produce something that compliments that thought beautifully.

This is my favourite track from my game, and it came when I said "I want it to be like Flash Man from Mega Man 2". It ended up sounding only vaguely like it drew inspiration from FM but when you look at the level it's for it works so much better than a straight rip off of Flash Man (or even the original Flash Man theme which I used as placeholder music).

So yeah, my best advice is to find someone that can really get down and dirty with your projects in more ways than just music - chances are everything they do for your game will be brought up a notch or two because they're so involved and really understand your vision. I've found as a novice game designer who pretty much took care of everything that when you're ready to get other people signed onto the project it's good to make sure they absolutely understand it the way you do - that way they can tell you if you're being clear when giving direction to your other recruits (or even when you're trying to pitch your game to an audience!).

Oddx
Sep 9, 2005

Nice new thread.

Add me to the list!

Twitter: @seemo

A few friends and I work out of my bedroom every day on our two projects. Mine is called Skipping Stones, where you flick stones onto a lake and they play back musical notes for each skip, creating loops. Here's an early environment test by our rad artist:

I'm working on getting the site for it up on Monday (and fixing our ugly header on our homepage) and posting some more sounds and screens from the game. We're planning on releasing this in a month or two.

Our other bigger project is Red Rover, a first person adventure game involving Mars, which we put out an alpha teaser on http://www.flyredrover.com

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Mug posted:

If it makes you feel any better, I just spent two days making kitties conga-line follow the player in a properly cute/"juicy" fashion.

(figuring out how to make the way-off-screen part of the line still feel present was the tricky part)

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

It's...it's not shutting down!

Shalinor posted:

If it makes you feel any better, I just spent two days making kitties conga-line follow the player in a properly cute/"juicy" fashion.

(figuring out how to make the way-off-screen part of the line still feel present was the tricky part)

Did you do some real life "research"? That's the best part of game design, when you can go do crazy stuff for the sake of the game.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

ambushsabre posted:

Did you do some real life "research"? That's the best part of game design, when you can go do crazy stuff for the sake of the game.
As a kid, I spent a few summers in an orchard, where there was usually a new batch of kittens to chase around and capture and pet.

My entire life has prepared me for writing this system :ssj:

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I think taking a year to teach myself the various aspects of game development is a good idea and in the mean time I can work on more general classes while I figure out just what exactly I like most and go from there. Thanks again :)

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Well, it took something like twelve hours, but I finished my breath attack spritesheet. It used to be a 4-frame set of ~215x75px images, and I only had Fire drawn with nothing else, but now I made the full set.

I expanded it to a 16-frame animation with a general 4-to-8-frame loop with other moving bits to break up the regularity--you can see the little flames bursting off from the horizontal part of the fire (the small flames at the "ball" were already there).

The HUD is greatly improved as well. I added in an Actraiser 2-style border to the HP pips and brightened them up to increase their visibility. I also put in an indicator next to the fire bar that shows you that yes, this is definitely where you see how much fire you have left, and also to indicate the element currently in use. I had symbols drawn that were going to be in the middle of the flame, but I went with a color scheme setup instead. My bro who actually knows art (unlike me) suggested that the simpler the interface is, the better.

I also got the Ice Breath to work properly:

It doesn't do damage, but reduces the alpha on RG and y'know kinda video game logic-obviously makes it so you can stand on them until they defrost.

I'm kind of proud of the Acid Breath. It does work as intended and applies armor reduction, but mostly I'm happy with how the sprite cycle turned out, it even has tiny little toxic skull bubbles that pop up for about 2/10 of a second. I did kinda gather a lot of that inspiration from FF6's Poison spell.

Thunder Breath, too, I'm not sure how I'm gonna differentiate it in-game aside from the standard "does more damage to certain enemies." +1 damage over Fire Breath seems to favor it overmuch. It has little arcs of yellow thunder to break up the purple and teal bits.

My favorite by far, though, is the Ganja Br "Friendly Magic Smoke Breath," as I'll be referring to it in the in-game text (but it's totally Ganja Breath in the code). I really like how the rolling smoke turned out, haha. It doesn't actually do damage and it'll be an optional thing to find, but basically it makes enemies noncombatants and you can walk through them, but can't do damage to them either.

I was surprised at how easy it was to add the status effects into the code, but I guess that speaks of how close my code was to this state where I could just spend like two hours tossing in a few variables and changing things around before it just completely worked as intended.

With that, the Front Mission Gun Hazard-inspired "it gets stronger the more you use it" power-up system, the metroidvania power-boosting treasures, and the breath mechanics all work as intended. I think I can say I'm finally in the Alpha phase of this poo poo. I'll try post a video of this stuff at a later date, the footage I captured these screenshots from is like 3 fuckin' gigs because I'm bad at capture software.

Twelve muthafuckin' hours for a lovely tiny spritesheet, and here I thought spriting would be the easy part haha.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 15, 2012

ScirraTom
Aug 29, 2011

Mug posted:

Construct
Construct has most of the same 2D capabilities as Game Maker. From what I've used of it (not much… yet), it feels more intuitive than Game Maker, but its community is much smaller as it hasn't been around for as long.

Tom here from Scirra! Just saying thank you for listing Construct 2 :) We're a 2 man company based in London (it's me and my brother running it) and things are going well! We get really excited seeing Construct becoming a bit more recognisable :)

If anyone wants to see some examples of games made in Construct 2 check our arcade. These are my favourites:

http://www.scirra.com/arcade/addicting-rotary-games/848/airscape
http://www.scirra.com/arcade/games/addicting-action-games/1694/my-irrational-fear-of-unicorns
http://www.scirra.com/arcade/games/addicting-action-games/1487/super-ubi-land

Although we have a smaller community, they are all very friendly and helpful!

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Mug posted:

Point-and-click menu interfaces are a horrible thing to develop.

Too bad this is like 50% of game development.

The other 50% is debugging it. :toot:

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper

ScirraTom posted:

Tom here from Scirra! Just saying thank you for listing Construct 2 :) We're a 2 man company based in London (it's me and my brother running it) and things are going well! We get really excited seeing Construct becoming a bit more recognisable :)

If anyone wants to see some examples of games made in Construct 2 check our arcade. These are my favourites:

http://www.scirra.com/arcade/games/addicting-action-games/1694/my-irrational-fear-of-unicorns

To reiterate what I said last page, I made a game with Construct 2 and it was incredibly easy.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

ScirraTom posted:

Thanks for stopping in! I've added your words to the OP. Feel free to add anything else you'd like to say about Contruct to help a new person interested in game development feel comfortable choosing it to make a start with.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
Spritesheet Sunday! (thats a thing now)

Drew these bad-boys and implemented them today. Un/Locking of doors is now an actual in-game ability, not just a function in the level editor.

Drawing a padlock in the isometric perspective took a lot of thinking and failed attempts before I got it looking right.

Oddx
Sep 9, 2005

Here's an updated shot of the environment with the camera pulled back a bit. It's really coming together quite nicely! We're planning on having 4 seasons with 4 sets of different audio samples/generative soundtracks. This is fall:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Some bratty kids who think that an SNES is a grandpa's toy might find it jarring, but I like the hard colors and edges. It reminds me of Out of this World. Did you have that in mind when you were making it?

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

quote:

Thunder Breath, too, I'm not sure how I'm gonna differentiate it in-game aside from the standard "does more damage to certain enemies." +1 damage over Fire Breath seems to favor it overmuch. It has little arcs of yellow thunder to break up the purple and teal bits.
You could make it have an extra effect like slowing down enemies or something of the like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marbs McWaffles
Aug 11, 2011
I'm probably gonna sound like a big stupid ninny, but this seems to be a relevant thread, and I have to get this off my chest. In the past, I've heard people say that game companies usually won't hire you if you have an unimpressive portfolio.
Does this mean that if you brush up your skills at home and put together a really impressive portfolio, you could get work even if you never got a relevant degree at College/Uni?

I live in the UK, and finished school at the age of 15. Over the summer holidays, I turned 16, and like most of my classmates, I enrolled into college, where I did A-levels in Drama, Film and Eng Lit). I didn't really know what I wanted to do, or what I was getting out of going there. I stayed for the full two years and found it a draining experience that I almost thoroughly hated. I underachieved, and decided to enroll into a different campus, once again doing A-levels, this time in ICT, Fine Art and Graphics, as I decided I was interested in working in the video game industry, and thought that these courses seemed relevant.

I've been there for over a week, and I already hate it, and want to drop out. Perhaps I could wait another year, and then go back when I feel more prepared, but I'm sure. I guess it just bugs me that most of the people I knew from school have finished College and are going to Uni soon, whilst I'm left in this position. I also get put under pressure by my dad, who trys to govern my life sometimes.

Considering I'll be 19 next year if I go back, and should probably be looking for a part-time job as I have no means of financially supporting myself and rely on my parents, I just want to know if 'not going to College' is a valid option.

Marbs McWaffles fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Sep 16, 2012