Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Dude writes cool females like no other manga, it's crazy. I've got a feeling I'm really going to like Ymir and her dealing with her importance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I'll be amazed to read a chapter of this manga that disappoints.

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

I'm seeing this from an AoS perspective.

white primer uber alles

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Yeah, he's getting a lot better but there's still quite a few laffo art moments in this comic.

I think it's really hard to tell what's going on with the titan wall, in regards to people breaking in. They could just punch a hole in(which we've seen is possible), wake up the titan bro sleeping within, then have them dissolve the wall. Or maybe it's possible that, when killed, the titan automatically dissolves the wall. There's really too many ideas that make sense to make a really viable conclusion

That said though, I got to thinking about what someone earlier in regards to titans, that they sometimes vomit people up after eating them. Maybe that's how they're made? The titan stomach juices aren't necessarily for breaking down sustenance, it might be to transform the people into titans. Like reproduction, essentially. I mean yeah, quite a few people get chomped and get their body split in half, but not all of them.

The big argument about the priest this chapter was whether or not he's got information that's more important than humanity's survival. What if that information is that they feel beating the titans is impossible, and humans can simply live on as titans after a brief, but difficult, assimilation process?

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
Pretty sure that next chapter Connie is going to say "Gosh that titan looks like someone in my family!!" or some similarly huge revelation.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Auuugh holy poo poo those last few pages. :stare:

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew he'd say "I'm gonna be like you, dad" "You know I'm gonna be like you".

GloriousDemon posted:

The titans roaming around are being chucked over the wall by a titan deformed into a catapult.
We all gonna die! :supaburn:

That was my first thought too! I'll be really disappointed if there isn't a huge titan just standing there hucking smaller ones over the wall all day.. Great chapter though, now let's get back to Sasha dammit!

Convergence
Apr 9, 2005

codeorange posted:

You know how Christa's nameless friend was recently named Ymir?

Well, uh, I don't know what's going on any more.

So this just became super crazy (click the link)

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I don't expect this to happen but if this poo poo turns out ending up kinda like "The Village" and way outside the walls theres a normal future civilization that is keeping the present humans stuck inside I am just gonna freak.

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!

Breaky posted:

I don't expect this to happen but if this poo poo turns out ending up kinda like "The Village" and way outside the walls theres a normal future civilization that is keeping the present humans stuck inside I am just gonna freak.

I've been thinking that for awhile, but haven't been able to come up with a reason for it to be that way. My first thought is there is some natural resource there that is difficult to collect so they're kind of kept there as unknowing slaves, but I don't think that's it. I wouldn't be surprised if at the very least there are other similar colonies.

I can't but wonder if Christa's name and calming demeaner were hints to her background in the wall-worshipping religion. Don't both Sasha and either Jean or Armin call her a goddess at some point?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

codeorange posted:

Holy poo poo. poo poo just got real.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

codeorange posted:

Oh. Oh, wow.

This loving story. :staredog:

Wikkee!
Oct 17, 2006

P.S. : Shut up, Dan.
I guess you guys don't know your Norse mythology, huh? Ymir is the name of a legendary giant said to be father of all giants. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ymir

I picked up on that when the giant mentioned the name, but I really didn't think it'd be a human.

I can't wait to see where this goes!

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Why would someone name their baby after a legendary figure of their oppressors? It would be like a Jew naming their kid Haman.

Hajime isn't lazy, though, so the name definitely has a purpose that we don't understand yet. I wish I was in the future so I could see the whole thing. :ohdear:

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Hey, for all we know, Ymir could secretly be able to become a titan. Perhaps Ymir is the colossal titan, who knows~

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Or maybe it is a traditional name among the wall cultists.

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

You are my underwater, underwater friends!
No the Ymir mentioned by the titan is definitely this same Ymir. The scene with that titan and Ilsa(it was Ilsa, right?) makes so much sense now. The titan mistook her for Ymir at the time. They have similar lean builds, dark hair of comparable length, and freckles. When she speaks, he realizes it isn't Ymir, drops his act, and eats her.

Also check this out: Chapeter 15 pages 9-10 from the beginning of the training arc. Let's pan over all the characters who have dealt with titans: Annie, Reiner and Bertholdt, Mikasa, Eren... and Ymir. The poo poo you find in this manga reading it a second time. I love it.

And I'm nearly positive Reiner is the armored titan and Bertholdt is the collassal titan.

Tiptoes fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Sep 15, 2012

Webcormac McCarthy
Nov 26, 2007

Tiptoes posted:

No the Ymir mentioned by the titan is definitely this same Ymir. The scene with that titan and Ilsa(it was Ilsa, right?) makes so much sense now. The titan mistook her for Ymir at the time. They have similar lean builds, dark hair of comparable length, and freckles. When she speaks, he realizes it isn't Ymir, drops his act, and eats her.

Also check this out: Chapeter 15 pages 9-10 from the beginning of the training arc. Let's pan over all the characters who have dealt with titans: Annie, Reiner and Bertholdt, Mikasa, Eren... and Ymir. The poo poo you find in this manga reading it a second time. I love it.

And I'm nearly positive Reiner is the armored titan and Bertholdt is the collassal titan.

Did you come from the future to spoil the ending :arghfist:. I better do a reread because that's a great pickup.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Tiptoes posted:

Holy hell, I've been rereading through it because of this prompt, everyone needs to do this. There's so much stuff to pick up just on the trainee's squad's interactions as far as foreshadowing goes. This stuff is amazing. When Eren and Annie are having their little duel in training camp, you even see Annie protect the nape of her neck when she takes down Eren. None of this stuff is coincidence.

and to follow up on Tiptoes idea: When Armin, Jean and Reiner are confronting titan-mode Annie, Annie had destroyed the right flank of the army -- where Reiner was told Eren was. Then, after Armin tells Reiner where he thinks Eren actually is (the back center), Reiner jumps up to Annie, gets "caught" and swung by her ear, then spins out heroically. Without being hurt at all. I think he was jumping up to Annie to tell her where Eren really was, and he had no fear of getting hurt because he can regenerate (he even has Titan vapor coming off him, but that could just as easily be Annie's fingers). I always thought it was weird how, after dealing with Armin, Jean and Reiner, Annie instantly beelined exactly to where Eren was when ONLY Rivalle's squad knew his location. I thought maybe someone in said squad was the traitor, but I think this fits better.

This is all speculation, but I think it checks out. I'm obviously not the author so at best I'm just following up on a well educated guess. There's probably even more stuff with these dudes that I missed even on rereading.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Sep 15, 2012

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Tiptoes posted:

Two Tone Shoes posted:

and to follow up on Tiptoes idea: When Armin, Jean and Reiner are confronting titan-mode Annie, Annie had destroyed the right flank of the army -- where Reiner was told Eren was. Then, after Armin tells Reiner where he thinks Eren actually is (the back center), Reiner jumps up to Annie, gets "caught" and swung by her ear, then spins out heroically. Without being hurt at all. I think he was jumping up to Annie to tell her where Eren really was, and he had no fear of getting hurt because he can regenerate (he even has Titan vapor coming off him, but that could just as easily be Annie's fingers). I always thought it was weird how, after dealing with Armin, Jean and Reiner, Annie instantly beelined exactly to where Eren was when ONLY Rivalle's squad knew his location. I thought maybe someone in said squad was the traitor, but I think this fits better.

Well if we're gonna talk about suspicious things on reread, this page in volume 2 is food for thought. Annie and Reiner seem cool as cucumbers despite being low on gas and more or less stranded, and Bertholdt is waiting for their decision. Reiner's line here can also be translated as "Not yet. If we're going to do it, wait 'till everyone's here," and either way the line doesn't fit into the situation at first glance.

While we're at it, check this page and the next, from where Eren turns half-giant to block the cannon shot. Note Reiner's stunned realization right after he brings up the possibility of it being titan vapor, as he connects the dots. Immediately he grapples up while everyone else is wondering what's going on, and Annie also makes the realization and follows him a moment later.

It might be grasping at straws, but just the fact that it's there is awesome.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Does anyone else think that new species of monkey that was discovered has a familiar expression?

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Scott Bakula posted:

Does anyone else think that new species of monkey that was discovered has a familiar expression?

Holy poo poo, hide your 3D movement gear everyone.

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

You are my underwater, underwater friends!
Two Tone Shoes, you are exactly right. I had the same interpretation when I read it the second time. I'm pretty sure he cut a message into her hand to communicate with Annie without speaking. She stares at her hand afterwards which I took as innocuous at first but now not so much. And afterwards he tries to say she's running away out of fear which is the dumbest thing he's ever said and I found that out of character for him. Reiner is way too smart and perceptive in other situations. I thought it was a bad lie instead.

AnonSpore, those are great observations. I didn't even catch those on my second time. But around when I got to training arc again, I noticed that he was dropping clues left and right. Reread this conversation. Bertholdt is waaaay too light on details regarding their backstory and completely glosses over how they escaped the village. Reiner shoots him dirty looks the whole time too. Betholdt's "I have no will of my own" line caught my eye. Definitely seems like its insinuating a lot more than he lets on. Also check out Reiner's comments on pages 20-21. His motivation seems very similar to Annie's from Chapter 33 pages 40-41.

Tiptoes fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Sep 16, 2012

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
You guys are making me paranoid now. Rereading the training chapters, I wonder if it was really an accident that Eren, of all people, was given defective 3D gear, rather than a deliberate attempt to break his will

hackbunny fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Sep 15, 2012

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
You know what I really like about this series? It's a grimdark, gritty, intense, mature manga... that isn't totally rapetastic. That is a rare and precious thing, and must be treasured.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

hackbunny posted:

You guys are making me paranoid now. Rereading the training chapters, I wonder if it was really an accident that Eren, of all people, was given defective 3D gear, rather than a deliberate attempt to break his will

I've always assumed that Mikasa had purposely sabotaged his gear to keep him out of danger.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Tiptoes posted:

AnonSphere, those are great observations.
This is the best mecha/pilot series.

codeorange
Jul 11, 2012

Tiptoes posted:

Remember how I previously mentioned that the titan mistook the woman for Ymir? Well one page prior to that, the titan mentions five people. Could this be referring to the five people who have seen titans before? This probably means that the common titans are actually remote-controlled spawn from pilots, and that "Ymir" is probably in a different faction from Annie's group. This could also explain the behaviour of deviants. They aren't strange at all, they're actually working as scouts.

codeorange fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Sep 16, 2012

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

codeorange posted:

Remember how I previously mentioned that the titan mistook the woman for Ymir? Well one page prior to that, the titan mentions five people. Could this be referring to the five people who have seen titans before? This probably means that the common titans are actually remote-controlled spawn from pilots, and that "Ymir" is probably in a different faction from Annie's group. This could also explain the behaviour of deviants. They aren't strange at all, they're actually working as scouts.

No, on the next page it says the titan said "ymir's people"

codeorange
Jul 11, 2012
Was that a 5 or an S? I can't tell with the type of font used.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

codeorange posted:

Was that a 5 or an S? I can't tell with the type of font used.

It was an S.

ArchDemon
Jan 2, 2004

People with emotional and trust issues
really piss me off.

Good lord you guys are excellent at decoding this poo poo. The thing I'm trying to wrap my brain around now is what could possibly be more important than saving all of humanity?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
We don't know for sure that the people in the walls are "all of humanity." In fact it seems pretty unlikely.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009
Rereading that bit and knowing who Ymir is really does make it seem like its holding back from eating her because it was ordered too thats why its tearing at its face. When she goes on her crazy rant and runs away it knows it isnt her.

I knew that scene was important cause of the Ymir = norse father of giants connections but I really like how its fitting in with things it has context but how exactly it fits in is anybody's guess.

Pretty crazy how good this series is despite it being the authors first work.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

ArchDemon posted:

Good lord you guys are excellent at decoding this poo poo. The thing I'm trying to wrap my brain around now is what could possibly be more important than saving all of humanity?

Ascending to a new existence i.e. becoming titans

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Sindai posted:

We don't know for sure that the people in the walls are "all of humanity." In fact it seems pretty unlikely.
What if the people in the walls were all of humanity? :v: :v:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

ArchDemon posted:

What if the lives of the people within the walls aren't all of humanity? What if the purpose of the walls is to act as a diversion. A focal point for the titans to attack? Sure there's a whole mess of people inside but it's pretty low, and homogeneous, for a remnant of humanity. Especially when you take into account the anachronistic tech sprinkled into the medieval world within the walls.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
This manga just keeps getting better with each reread

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Tiptoes posted:

Consequently the bottom of page 13 in this chapter might have my favorite panel series of all time at the bottom of the page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
The absolute best part of that scene is that she reluctantly gives him "half" the potato but it's actually more like a quarter.