Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

KozmoNaut posted:

When in doubt, poke with a stick.

Did that once, knocked me on my rear end. A++ would poke again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Stick wasn't long enough obviously.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Boss had a set of 22" wheels he FOUND somewhere with tires. One of the tires had some separation and blew up in the shop the other day. We thought a loving bomb had gone off.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Decided to figure out why the hell my chainsaw wasn't oiling the bar correctly today.

First step: remove chain brake, chain, bar
Second step: scrape large quantities of greasy sawdust residue from various crevices in the housing
Third step: discover bar plate is entirely knackered. Pretty sure this isn't causing the issue but a new one is $4 so I'll throw one on it.
Fourth step: remove sparkplug, stuff rope into cylinder until it won't turn, unscrew centrifugal clutch assembly from crankshaft, remove clutch bell and friction plate, etc etc.
Fifth step: scrape more greasy sawdust residue out of newly exposed crevices
Sixth step: remove and disassemble oil pump.

Everything looked fine...

Until...

Well then. I guess that's the problem!

Fortunately the whole oil pump assembly is a whopping $10 online, so I have it on order now.

How it all works: that assembly is installed over the crankshaft, before the centrifugal clutch goes on. There is a small worm gear on the crankshaft which is supposed to spin that spur gear - except for the whole bit where it munged several teeth off instead. Spinning that gear results in the shaft it's on spinning, as well as cycling in and out (due to the slanted groove right next to the gear teeth riding on the bar it's seated on at the top of the assembly.) The other end of the shaft is inserted into an aluminum housing with two holes at the bottom on opposite sides, and the end of the shaft is milled into a D cross section. The rotational action of the shaft draws oil into the cavity formed by the aluminum housing and the D shaft from one port and forces it out through the other port, while the reciprocating action of the D shaft caused by the slanted groove forces some oil down the space between the shaft and the aluminum cylinder housing, which lubricates the cylinder walls, the slanted groove, and the worm+spur gears.

When I checked the aluminum cylinder walls, I noticed that there was a fairly large burr hanging out just past the intake port that was keeping the D shaft from turning at all. Since there are matching marks on the D shaft's flatted spot, near as I can tell, a bit of debris (probably a grain of sand) got into the bar oil reservoir, from there went into the pump, and was caught in exactly the wrong spot between the side of the intake port and the edge of the flatted spot on the D shaft, resulting in it digging into the cylinder wall and seizing the pump shaft, which caused all the (plastic) teeth to quickly part ways with the spur gear.

kastein fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Sep 12, 2012

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
My sister's rotors weren't very far from becoming two-piece.

The brakes loving HAMMERED when pressure was applied.

Gorillian Dollars
Jan 22, 2012

We are selling to willing buyers at the current fair market price, even if we know it has no value.

Sockington posted:

BlackMK4 posted:

My sister needs to stop driving. :wtf:
Looks like a pattern is emerging in terms of sisters and car care.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Sockington posted:

I guess rust runs in the family? :haw:

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Collateral Damage posted:

I guess rust runs in the family? :haw:

Don't say that. Now his children are going to suffer from eczema.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
Clunk clunk clunk clunk

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

kastein posted:

quality over quantity, buddy :colbert:

That happened to me on my T/A. Started getting violent shakes while driving, thought the rearview was going to fall off.

I put the car in the air and it was laughable how bad the tire was bulging (in the center). Was a month old tire with about 100 miles on it ... buy name brand tires kids!

The Rocket Salad
Sep 1, 2004

lol what
Where's your Corolla?

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

The Rocket Salad posted:

Where's your Corolla?

In my garage mostly ... I have a few things so sort out with the other vehicles and then I have some (light and boring) changes for the Corolla to make it a better driver.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Pretty sure an exhaust is not supposed to do that.

gently caress.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Dude backpressure reduction gives you more power.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Fucknag posted:

Dude backpressure reduction gives you more power.

You can also get high on the fumes. So win-win.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Your car's balls dropped, now it has a much manlier voice. And some junk rattling around "down there".

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
My front right wheel bearing decided to commit suicide by abandoning it's dust cap.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Sep 15, 2012

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Beach Bum posted:

My front right wheel bearing decided to commit suicide by abandoning it's dust cap.

:tipshat: seems appropriate here?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

It's still in one piece, it's not horrible yet. :v:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

some texas redneck posted:

It's still in one piece, it's not horrible yet. :v:

We'll see about that when I get it off the hub.

Removing the studs is going to be a blast :flame:

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

Beach Bum posted:

Those look like they hammer out like most other studs. It's easy.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

obso posted:

Those look like they hammer out like most other studs. It's easy.

Nope. Screwed in with red locktite by yours truly. Torch + double-nut oughta do it.

I made a video while I was out there (because I'm strange like that) and hey why not share :haw: (I realize I am a rambling redneck leave me alone)

http://youtu.be/wlPh0vNOqbI

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Friend had some bad luck on Saturday. He's fine. Rear axel snapped. Tire decided to go for a little walk. Not to the epic level of the V8 super car video but still cute.

https://vimeo.com/49224945

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
:lol: That tire.

Beach Bum posted:

We'll see about that when I get it off the hub.

Just drive around a bit more.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Sep 15, 2012

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Aurune posted:

Friend had some bad luck on Saturday. He's fine. Rear axel snapped. Tire decided to go for a little walk. Not to the epic level of the V8 super car video but still cute.

https://vimeo.com/49224945

I can imagine the reaction of the other drivers to the tire initially being :eek: then :v:

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

kastein posted:

quality over quantity, buddy :colbert:

It's trying to become The Animal

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Godholio posted:

:lol: That tire.

I like that it waits politely for a gap in the traffic before crossing :v:

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
http://teamspeed.com/forums/aventador-murcielago-gallardo/75855-lamborghini-recalling-2004-2006-gallardo-over-fire-risk.html

quote:

The car-maker added that it is not aware of any fires or accidents related to this.

:crossarms:

:v:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Those fires were just caused by being a Lamborghini.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yeah, those are totally unrelated stock fires. :colbert:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Plus those are all fires in the back of the car. This is for a fire in the front of the car. It's dangerous because you can't see through a front fire to continue driving, unlike a rear fire, and a pedestrian may be injured during what would otherwise be normal operation.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Sep 15, 2012

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Cakefool posted:

Yes, your can not being on fire is an optional extra.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Gorilla Salad posted:

Yes, your can not being on fire is an optional extra.

Pfft, maybe on your pussy Ferrari, this is a Lamborghini. There is no optional about fire.

The Rocket Salad
Sep 1, 2004

lol what

FuzzKill posted:

In my garage mostly ... I have a few things so sort out with the other vehicles and then I have some (light and boring) changes for the Corolla to make it a better driver.
There is nothing you can do to that car that could ever be construed as "boring."

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
This thread. :allears:

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

That's not fire. It's passion!

Seriously, Lamboghini recalling cars because they catch fire is like Philip Morris recalling cigarettes because they're addictive. It's just a known fact of life.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Boomerjinks posted:

It's trying to become The Animal

My parents got me one of those when I was 4 or so. I was terrified of it.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Don't forget Lamborghini's $50,000 optional "matching garage decor" package. It looks great.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Could be worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Cakefool posted:

Yes, rear fire is standard in a Lamborghini. Problem is that they installed the optional front fire on some models.