Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

EC posted:

I'm sure some of you use Sickbeard to grab "disposable" shows, by which I mean shows you watch once and then never watch again. Do y'all have an automated way to delete these after watching (via XBMC or whatever)? Does Sickbeard revert the status for those eps to "wanted" or anything else when it refreshes the show?

For whatever reason I spent a bunch of time cleaning out old shows from my server and from Sickbeard, and noticed that I had probably 100-200gb of poo poo I'll never watch again. Crazy. Feels good to have a slimmed down SB database, even though I know it makes zero difference in the long run.

For disposable shows I just started to use nzbs.org and just have SAB download those via RSS. No loving about with Sickbeard, and the nzbs.org My TV Shows or whatever its called is pretty nice. It doesn't rename them, but I don't really care since I watch and delete.

There isn't any way to currently have xbmc delete them after you have watched it, I hope they add this feature in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

kri kri posted:

For disposable shows I just started to use nzbs.org and just have SAB download those via RSS. No loving about with Sickbeard, and the nzbs.org My TV Shows or whatever its called is pretty nice. It doesn't rename them, but I don't really care since I watch and delete.

There isn't any way to currently have xbmc delete them after you have watched it, I hope they add this feature in.

I thought about this, but I couldn't come to terms with how best to manage it. I guess I could create a shortcut to the folder on my home screen in XBMC, but that seems rather bulky, and I lose the ability to sort watched episodes and what-not. I actually like the way they show up in the XBMC library, including my Recently Added list.

I'm guessing you just have a different category in SAB that puts those shows in a different folder than the rest of your videos, and you link directly to that in XBMC either by a shortcut or an entry in your Fav menu?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I just go on a cleaning spree and delete them once a month or so. What's wrong with that?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Thermopyle posted:

I just go on a cleaning spree and delete them once a month or so. What's wrong with that?

I get an extra kick for getting rid of the chick shows my wife watches.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Thermopyle posted:

Nothing at all, and that's usually what I end up doing. Just curious if there's a better way.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

EC posted:

I thought about this, but I couldn't come to terms with how best to manage it. I guess I could create a shortcut to the folder on my home screen in XBMC, but that seems rather bulky, and I lose the ability to sort watched episodes and what-not. I actually like the way they show up in the XBMC library, including my Recently Added list.

I'm guessing you just have a different category in SAB that puts those shows in a different folder than the rest of your videos, and you link directly to that in XBMC either by a shortcut or an entry in your Fav menu?

They get dumped into a "tv" folder, I have a "tv shows" folder all of my real shows go in to. I browse them manually which is kind of dumb but whatever, most of the poo poo I just delete right away anyway, from within xbmc, my phone, my desktop, or my laptop.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

EC posted:

Nothing at all, and that's usually what I end up doing. Just curious if there's a better way.

It wouldn't be terribly difficult to whip up a script to check the XBMC library for watched status and delete shows.

Maybe ask in the tiny apps thread or wait a long rear end time for me to do it.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

That's using incorrect values for megabits and terabits.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Can anyone explain to me what all these terms mean that come up when I search for nzbs? Things like proper, repack, nuked, etc. I'm assuming repack means exactly what it means (i.e., the previous version uploaded was incomplete) but the other stuff?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
nuked = removed from the top-level ftp servers because it is broken or doesn't conform to scene standards

proper = "someone else already released this even possibly us but here's a better fixed/working copy"

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Boris Galerkin posted:

Can anyone explain to me what all these terms mean that come up when I search for nzbs? Things like proper, repack, nuked, etc. I'm assuming repack means exactly what it means (i.e., the previous version uploaded was incomplete) but the other stuff?

Those are terms used by "the scene", see this explanation on Wikipedia.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Boris Galerkin posted:

A nuked release would be one that was uploaded, but is not good for some reason. Bad audio sync in a video file for example, or perhaps it wasn't encoded to scene standards.

A proper would then come afterward with corrections.

Repack usually refers to a re-encoded file. So you might see Repack or Proper for a fixed file.

Most of the other stuff will have to do with the format the file is in.

E: Dang, shoulda hit refresh one last time.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

For those talking about deleting old shows once they've been watched, I used to put those kind of shows into their own folder, then ran a tool called 'Cyber D's Autodelete' and set it as a service that ran at 2am each night, deleting any files over 2 weeks old. It won't reset the status in Sickbeard, but that's no big deal... it won't one day realise the files are gone and try and regrab them.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

PirateDentist posted:

A nuked release would be one that was uploaded, but is not good for some reason. Bad audio sync in a video file for example, or perhaps it wasn't encoded to scene standards.

It's also worth noting that releases sometimes get nuked for reasons that have nothing to do with whether the content is good. At least on NZBs.org you can mouseover the nuke icon and see the reason, so use your judgement.

Sometimes it's a dupe of a previous release, sometimes it didn't come from a "scene" source, sometimes it's a video that's not encoded perfectly to spec so it won't play on some obscure hardware Xvid player only found in Hong Kong, etc. None of those have any actual relevance to why one might want to download it (unless you're one of the six users of said obscure hardware player), though if there's a non-nuked equivalent release one might still prefer it anyways.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Basically, the scene is ridiculous and cares a lot about things that don't matter to anyone else.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
I care. :(

zalmoxes
Sep 30, 2009

:eurovision:

Thermopyle posted:

Basically, the scene is ridiculous and cares a lot about things that don't matter to anyone else.

Enforcing standards is a good thing. There's a reason we all look for those releases, and I'm glad that there are people out there willing to do the hard work for me.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

zalmoxes posted:

Enforcing standards is a good thing. There's a reason we all look for those releases, and I'm glad that there are people out there willing to do the hard work for me.

Yeah, dealing with occasional scene bullshit isn't too bad when you consider that the alternative is going the route of these ultra-sperg anime groups who love to use bleeding edge features and codecs that completely break all hardware decoders.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

zalmoxes posted:

When parts of the standard are absurd or pointless, it makes the parts that makes sense look worse just by association. It's sort of like how silly laws make people have less respect for government overall. Keep it to what makes sense. Aiming for wide compatibility with hardware players is a good thing. Going out of the way to support one or two lovely ones that didn't implement things right like the Xvid and VCD/SVCD standards did isn't a good thing.

While I haven't kept up with modern encoding enough to tell what makes sense in the x264 world, there's still the good old split RAR crap the entire scene still sticks with because somehow everything else can change except that.

Anyways we've been through this argument a dozen times in this thread so there's no point in getting back in to it, as if any conclusion we'd come to would have an impact. I'm sure the release groups involved in deciding the standards are just F5ing away wanting to know what random Usenet users on Something Awful think.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Sep 11, 2012

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

zalmoxes posted:

Depends on the standard. FYI, the highest quality releases often don't come from scene groups. As an example of this, the scene has historically enforced standards that required (for example) releases fit exactly on a cd or a dvd. Other groups that weren't part of the scene would ignore this and have better bitrate releases than the scene.

I'd rather have the scene than not, but that doesn't mean they aren't ridiculous.

There's lots of groups out there releasing stuff that aren't part of "the scene".

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Trust me, there's (or was, anyway) nothing worse in the scene than nukers and MP3 groups.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
:filez:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

don't do that.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Can anyone remind me how to migrate a SAB install from one computer to another? I have access to all the data on the old one, but don't quite recall how to do it. I think I had to

- Install SAB on the new PC, then quit out
- Copy the \local settings\application data\sabnzbd folder from the old PC to the same place on the new PC
- Start SAB

If I remember right, this allowed me to keep my history and settings.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Yeah, that should work fine.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

EC posted:

Can anyone remind me how to migrate a SAB install from one computer to another? I have access to all the data on the old one, but don't quite recall how to do it. I think I had to

- Install SAB on the new PC, then quit out
- Copy the \local settings\application data\sabnzbd folder from the old PC to the same place on the new PC
- Start SAB

If I remember right, this allowed me to keep my history and settings.

Just do this and you'll never have to worry about doing anything but moving the folder (and maybe changing the download directory if you don't want stuff downloading into your SAB folder).

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

So can I assume the NZBMatrix VIP is worth it, seeing as I can't register for nzbs?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

ijyt posted:

So can I assume the NZBMatrix VIP is worth it, seeing as I can't register for nzbs?

It's worth it for older/rarer stuff, but if you just want the current crop of stuff that gets posted daily I'd go with the internal Sickbeard index and nzb.su. Dognzb was also still open the last time I looked.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Just do this and you'll never have to worry about doing anything but moving the folder (and maybe changing the download directory if you don't want stuff downloading into your SAB folder).

Thanks for this, I'll look into it.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

EC posted:

It's worth it for older/rarer stuff, but if you just want the current crop of stuff that gets posted daily I'd go with the internal Sickbeard index and nzb.su. Dognzb was also still open the last time I looked.

Dog went private about a week ago, unfortunately.

Sickbeard has been working well enough for me.

ijyt fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Sep 15, 2012

lokk
Nov 18, 2005
i'm legit.
I'm wondering if there are any other free services like just4today.net. I was using them for a long time and just recently they stopped updating their page. I only need 2 days retention and no speed requirements. I really don't feel like paying, but I can't seem to find anything similar.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Crossposting this from the iPad thread, but if you have an iOS device that runs one of these programs or one like it you might want to take notice.

Seems as if Apple has told the makers of Qouch and XBMC Constellation that they must remove SickBeard, CouchPotato, and Headphones integration in their programs or they will be taken off the app store. I would assume this goes for any other programs that integrate those as well. XBMC Constellation has already removed the features, Qouch has not. So if you see updates for those programs and you want to keep that integration, don't update. Both have said they're looking into releasing Cydia apps.

X-O fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Sep 15, 2012

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

You could always just bookmark the pages, though it's less convenient.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Is there a way to mass update locations of shows in Sickbeard? I moved to a new server, and the database points to \\oldserver\videos\tv shows\ and I need it to point to \\newserver\videos\tv shows\.

I know I could do a mass-delete and rescan everything, but that always takes forever.

Edit: and what do I need to install to be able to update from source again? All I did to migrate to the new server was install Python, install Cheetah, then copied my old Sickbeard dir to the new server and ran Sickbeard.py. I'm sure I need some version of Git to update from there, though.

EC fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Sep 15, 2012

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

EC posted:

Is there a way to mass update locations of shows in Sickbeard? I moved to a new server, and the database points to \\oldserver\videos\tv shows\ and I need it to point to \\newserver\videos\tv shows\.

I know I could do a mass-delete and rescan everything, but that always takes forever.

Edit: and what do I need to install to be able to update from source again? All I did to migrate to the new server was install Python, install Cheetah, then copied my old Sickbeard dir to the new server and ran Sickbeard.py. I'm sure I need some version of Git to update from there, though.

I tried to do this by doing a find & replace on my mysql database, but it ended up just not working and I cleaned the library and reimported everything anyway.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

FISHMANPET posted:

I tried to do this by doing a find & replace on my mysql database, but it ended up just not working and I cleaned the library and reimported everything anyway.

Well, drat. I guess this time I'll use a mapped network drive or something. I just saw the method for updating the location one show at a time, but that would be tedious.

Edit: this process is going to be extra long if TVDB keeps timing out.

EC fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Sep 15, 2012

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
Hey dudes, I know a lot of you guys are pretty active in the sabnzbd development/scripting community so I figured I'd throw this out there and see what someone thought of it since I have no idea where to start on something like this-

Back in the day one of the most amazing plugins (that no one seemingly knew about) for Azureus was an auto-speed plugin that kept your download and upload limits totally under control without requiring any sort of router-level QoS or any other sort of settings. The way it worked was you gave it an IP address to ping, which I always set to my ISP's gateway and then a ping threshold which I always set to a few milliseconds above the ping results I'd get just pinging the gateway while no downloads were taking place.

It might seem like sort of a half baked solution when there's so many el-cheapo routers that support QoS these days but it worked so loving well that I really miss it. Essentially what would happen is it'd download poo poo at pretty close to 95% of what your internet connection was capable of without any performance degradation. Sure, you can do that now by just figuring out what the threshold is for that with your own download speed and set sabnzbd's cap to that...

...HOWEVER, what made this truly awesome is if you started downloading something else unrelated on a different computer on your network like trying to stream Netflix, updating Steam, or whatever, the ping time to your gateway would naturally go up as you saturated the internet connection. The way the auto speed script would behave then is by detecting the ping rising, and throttling itself back, automatically giving priority to the other downloads on the network without requiring any QoS. As soon as it detected the ping to the gateway returning to normal, it'd ratchet back up all totally seamlessly.

Has anyone thought of doing this with sabnzbd? I think it'd be super useful because our cable connection's top speed seems fairly variable. We'll always be able to download at around 2.5MB/s, but (presumably) when network congestion is low we can get upwards of 4.0MB/s. If I set our speed limit to 2.0MB/s, sabnzbd will always download without impacting normal internet browsing and game playing but we're missing out on potentially double the speed when our connection gets faster. I'm currently managing this by scheduling the removal of the speed limit during times at night, but that seems less than ideal.

What do you guys think?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

I think that sounds like a great idea.

zalmoxes
Sep 30, 2009

:eurovision:
SABnzbd allows you to change the download limit through the API, so all you'd have to do is write a script that constantly calculates your speed limit. Now to think of some clever way of doing that, i'm not sure constantly pinging is the way to go. Maybe you could monitor open ports for applications you care about (skype, netflix etc).

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

zalmoxes posted:

SABnzbd allows you to change the download limit through the API, so all you'd have to do is write a script that constantly calculates your speed limit. Now to think of some clever way of doing that, i'm not sure constantly pinging is the way to go. Maybe you could monitor open ports for applications you care about (skype, netflix etc).

Or just setup QoS on your router, and never worry about it again. It's a neat idea, but I'm not sure how useful it is now that QoS is so easy.

I really need to set it up on my router at some point...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

EC posted:

Or just setup QoS on your router, and never worry about it again. It's a neat idea, but I'm not sure how useful it is now that QoS is so easy.

I really need to set it up on my router at some point...

QoS still needs to know just how much bandwith you have available so that it knows when to start throttling things.