Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Wicked pissa little critta

Skywalker OG posted:

EDIT: and S&Man

I love S&Man. Personally I think it's important to go into this one totally blind.

I know one of the non-actors in that movie personally and I still wasn't sure which one was the fake until well into the movie.

Re: Megan Is Missing: I don't have children but I watched it with a friend of mine who has a very young daughter at home. Personally I didn't get much out of the movie beyond the two obvious shock points, but it emotionally knocked my friend on his rear end, and he swore that his daughter would never have a computer in her bedroom. While the acting was definitely sub-par I did enjoy the slow build of the movie and was intrigued by how we were shown how the girls have become desensitized to being exploited and victimized in a different way by their male classmates, in a way priming them for Josh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

justlikedunkirk
Dec 24, 2006

indigenous nudity posted:

Here's a trailer for a new movie called Mama. I didn't know it existed until I saw the trailer this morning, but I'm really intrigued.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Am7i7uM9r0

If anyone's curious about how this movie came about, the director originally made a 3 minute short with the same title and Guillermo Del Toro was so impressed he immediately signed the guy up to expand it into a feature.

The short is on youtube. The quality isn't the greatest (it's pretty dark) but you can decide for yourself if Del Toro made a smart decision.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sD9AZF8aJvQ

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

I just watched Area 407 and Madison County and they are the most generic movies I have ever seen.

As generic as The Ward.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Well I just saw the new Resident Evil.

I don't think these movies qualify as horror anymore. I don't think these movies qualify as movies anymore. It was an incoherent, incompetent piece of poo poo. I imagine anyone trying to watch the film who hasn't played all of the games would be nothing short of flabbergasted. Hell, I've played all the main RE games and I still have no idea what the gently caress happened in the movie other than a bunch of game characters thrown in for no reason. The script was literally a 90-minute session of Horde mode in Gears of War. The characters literally travel from map to map, clearing out all the unique enemies of the map and then moving on to the next.

In conclusion, everything about the movie was the worst thing ever.

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

qbert posted:

Well I just saw the new Resident Evil.

I don't think these movies qualify as horror anymore. I don't think these movies qualify as movies anymore. It was an incoherent, incompetent piece of poo poo. I imagine anyone trying to watch the film who hasn't played all of the games would be nothing short of flabbergasted. Hell, I've played all the main RE games and I still have no idea what the gently caress happened in the movie other than a bunch of game characters thrown in for no reason. The script was literally a 90-minute session of Horde mode in Gears of War. The characters literally travel from map to map, clearing out all the unique enemies of the map and then moving on to the next.

That's all well and good. Now for the important question: Was there a shot like this in the movie?

Ticket seller.

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007

qbert posted:

Then it has truly lived up to the standards set by the previous movies.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

EgillSkallagrimsson posted:

Then it has truly lived up to the standards set by the previous movies.

I really liked the first one. Even though they were all a team of elite commandos it still felt like a helpless zombie movie rather than a "shoot all the zombies" type of movie. gently caress every other one though.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Mouser.. posted:

That's all well and good. Now for the important question: Was there a shot like this in the movie?

Ticket seller.

I was trying to remember what the last RE movie was about after seeing a commercial for the new one last night. All that came to me was "It was the one where Wesker throws his sunglasses at the screen in slow motion and they come at you in 3D."

I think they were in a prison or something? I know they landed on the top of some building and fought their way through it. It was like The Raid but total poo poo and not really like The Raid at all.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I was trying to remember what the last RE movie was about after seeing a commercial for the new one last night. All that came to me was "It was the one where Wesker throws his sunglasses at the screen in slow motion and they come at you in 3D."

I think they were in a prison or something? I know they landed on the top of some building and fought their way through it. It was like The Raid but total poo poo and not really like The Raid at all.

And when they raid the building they are all Mila Jovavich.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Mouser.. posted:

Ticket seller.

They had a lot of poo poo flying in your face throughout the movie, but it was all lame crap like a monster jumping at the camera, or Milla Jovovich throwing a knife at the camera, or Milla Jovovich shooting a gun at the camera, or...nope that's pretty much it.

Not only is the movie terrible on its own merits, but it also goes out of its way to physically irritate the audience. There's a scene where the bad guys try to torture Alice by playing loud annoying screeching sounds and the movie literally has you, the audience, endure loud screeching sounds for like 5 minutes. It's like they wanted people to get up and walk out.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm planning on seeing the new one anyway, just because I've seen all the others. It's like Weeds. I know it's poo poo but I've gotta see it through 'til the end.

Guess I should see it in 2D, eh? I seriously doubt they're taking advantage of the 3D in this one to deliver some really neat effects like the blood flying out of the frame in Dredd that I've been hearing about. It's probably just a waste of a couple extra bucks. But I guess there's a chance that it's not. A very slim chance, but a chance nonetheless.

I'm gonna see this in the morning probably tomorrow or Sunday so I see it for cheap. There's no way in hell I'm shelling out $10 or $14 for this at night depending on if I see it in 2D or 3D.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Counterpoint: I didn't actually hate Resident Evil: Retribution as much as I hated 1, 2 and 4. Hell, it's even a mite better than RE3.

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

I think Happy Birthday to Me has my favorite kill in a slasher, ever. Guy is doing "heavy" bench press and the killer pulls away the safties so he has to hold up the barbell and the killer takes a plate and drops it on the guys dick so he drops the barbell on his head.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Oh noes, I rewatched Candyman. Virginia Madsen is horrific. Horrific. The director had no imagination, such a pedestrian offering - say what you like about A Nightmare on Elm Street but that had ideas out the wazoo. However, the sound design, Tony Todd & the jist of the story were excellent. I remember why it scared me so much as a wean.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I love Virginia Madsen in Candyman, I think it's the best performance I've seen by her. She really manages to sell the descent into "is she crazy or not" late in the film, it's painful to watch. Also worth noting that Bernard Rose had her hypnotized during many of the scenes where she interacts with Tony Todd. And I think the use of Cabrini Green was fairly inspired.

Great film, one of my favorite horror flicks of the '90s.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

I love Virginia Madsen in Candyman, I think it's the best performance I've seen by her. She really manages to sell the descent into "is she crazy or not" late in the film, it's painful to watch. Also worth noting that Bernard Rose had her hypnotized during many of the scenes where she interacts with Tony Todd. And I think the use of Cabrini Green was fairly inspired.

Great film, one of my favorite horror flicks of the '90s.

I would have been with you here before I re-watched it last night with some friends, one who had never seen it & another who hadn't seen it since childhood. It's always been one of my favourites but I hadn't seen it in years. We all enjoyed it on some level but one thing we all agreed on is that the film needed a better actress to hold it up because the film depends so much on that character, honestly she is so bad outside of her scenes with Tony Todd. Well, she has one decent scene where she walks into her re-decorated flat but her EDGY-PROP cigarettes do more acting than her throughout the entire movie - she just sits with eyedrops in her eyes reading lines as monotonously as possible & my god the scenes she has with the working class people, she comes across as so unlikable & fake. She even makes grabbing a towel to clean up a little baby sick a smug, condescending act. GAH, I hated her! Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on her but yeah, Candyman is still a fantastic horror villain. His voice alone made me double-lock my doors last night. :cry:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

BisonDollah posted:

& my god the scenes she has with the working class people, she comes across as so unlikable & fake. She even makes grabbing a towel to clean up a little baby sick a smug, condescending act. GAH, I hated her!

I get what you're saying in the rest of your paragraph, but this bit is absolutely intentional. Her character is supposed to be obnoxiously condescending and in way over her head with poo poo she doesn't actually know anything about. It's her tragic flaw, and it's why everything bad in the movie happens to her. The movie's very heavy on the idea that this rich academic white women thinks she can come into Cabrini Green and "save" all these poor disadvantaged black people from the specter that's haunting them, that all it takes is one well intentioned white person to make everything better, and it's equally heavy on demonstrating that, nah, that poo poo doesn't fly.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

I get what you're saying in the rest of your paragraph, but this bit is absolutely intentional. Her character is supposed to be obnoxiously condescending and in way over her head with poo poo she doesn't actually know anything about. It's her tragic flaw, and it's why everything bad in the movie happens to her. The movie's very heavy on the idea that this rich academic white women thinks she can come into Cabrini Green and "save" all these poor disadvantaged black people from the specter that's haunting them, that all it takes is one well intentioned white person to make everything better, and it's equally heavy on demonstrating that, nah, that poo poo doesn't fly.

Yeah, sure that got her there but that specific scene was to establish a link between her & the baby for plot purposes and also foreshadow the problems between her & her husband.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I agree, but I also think that her being condescending is a fundamental part of the character, so I didn't find it out of place there.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I didn't find the new Resident Evil to be that bad. It was at least somewhat entertaining. The movie actually starts off with a recap of the series to date. I hadn't seen RE 3 or 4, and the recaps really didn't make it seem like I missed much.

I haven't played the games, but this wasn't difficult to follow. They actually lay out the facility it is in, and it shows how it's like a video game. They go through various settings, and even fight end bosses in some. Part of the movie takes place in "Suburbia" and it really evokes 2004's Dawn of the Dead.

I thought it fell apart in the third act though. It seemed to go on forever, and focuses on characters introduced for this movie that no one cares about anyway. There was also a lot of birthing imagery, and I have no clue how that ties in to the franchise at all.

Craig Spradlin
Apr 6, 2009

Right in the babymaker.

Skywalker OG posted:

Also, more faux documentary, but Poughkeepsie Tapes
EDIT: and S&Man

The Poughkeepsie Tapes would be 20 times better if they took out pretty much all of the interviews and docudrama crap and just made the whole movie the killer's footage and the police raid of the house and subsequent interview of his hostage.

I thought S&Man was really unsettling, mostly because all of the "real" elements left me thinking that something like the S&Man series could actually happen and nobody would be any the wiser.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I managed to rewatch The Craft last night. Perfect little teen "horror" movie from the 90's. I really like how they handled the magic. No throwing around fireballs or magic shields. Really atmospheric when they're chanting or invoking.

It's not really that scary until the final scene and even then it's not really "horror" but still it's about witches so I think it fits in this thread.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

BisonDollah posted:

Oh noes, I rewatched Candyman. Virginia Madsen is horrific. Horrific. The director had no imagination, such a pedestrian offering - say what you like about A Nightmare on Elm Street but that had ideas out the wazoo. However, the sound design, Tony Todd & the jist of the story were excellent. I remember why it scared me so much as a wean.

Oh I completely disagree, my man. She's pretty drat good in the film and is the perfect person for Candyman to feed off of. Her character completely makes sense within the context of the film and she knocks it out of the park. The scenes of her being strip searched and finding her husband with the college kid are genuinely heartbreaking and she plays completely crazy (but not really) very well.

I love Candyman because it has such patience. It makes you wait for it's villain and while that could backfire monumentally, you got Tony loving Todd just being a boss to completely make it worth every second. My God, his presence in that is ridiculously amazing.

Now if we're gonna talk about bad casting, lets discuss Ted Raimi as a tough biker dude.

Kieselguhr Kid
May 16, 2010

WHY USE ONE WORD WHEN SIX FUCKING PARAGRAPHS WILL DO?

(If this post doesn't passive-aggressively lash out at one of the women in Auspol please send the police to do a welfare check.)
My mind boggles every time I see a new Resident Evil movie. I've never seen one. I don't even know anyone who's seen one. And everything I see is more and more outrageous, increasingly complicated and the drat thing shows no signs of stopping. It's like they're trying to follow the trajectory of the games.

Also, count me as one of the people who thinks Candyman is pretty incredible.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?

justlikedunkirk posted:

If anyone's curious about how this movie came about, the director originally made a 3 minute short with the same title and Guillermo Del Toro was so impressed he immediately signed the guy up to expand it into a feature.

The short is on youtube. The quality isn't the greatest (it's pretty dark) but you can decide for yourself if Del Toro made a smart decision.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sD9AZF8aJvQ

Oh God I remember seeing that at night and it creeped the poo poo out of me. That weird jerky movement, argh. I'm a sucker for movies with ghosts and creepy children so count me in for this.

I just watched Livid(e). It was definitely surreal and I think could have pushed that element even further.

The meh: It moved pretty slowly at the beginning, there was really no explanation for how Mme Jessel knew magic or robotics or whatnot, or how she could go out in the sun but Anna couldn't. Or maybe I missed that. And the ending was a bit weak, and I *like* happy endings in scary movies.

The awesome: The visuals. If you like a pretty movie, check this out. There's some super creepy and weird moments. The taxidermied stuffed animals, the insane Silent Hill-esque operating room with the angry ballerinas, and Anna being a corpse puppet thing and suddenly moving. I'd say overall I'd give it 6/10.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
I haven't watched one since RE2, but as a fan of the games, I try to read up on them anyway. Wesker turns good and stays that way? What the Christ is this poo poo!

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

jscolon2.0 posted:

I haven't watched one since RE2, but as a fan of the games, I try to read up on them anyway. Wesker turns good and stays that way? What the Christ is this poo poo!

WHAT As in this happened in the most recent film?

I won't watch it, I tried watching whichever poo poo one is on Netflix (Canadian)right now and my fiance and I rolled out eyes so hard we went blind. I'm typing this from memory of the way the keyboard feels and such.

That said, how was Kevin Durand and Barry Burton? I'm asking because he's from my home town and not a terrible actor but always winds up in terrible movies. I met with him while Resident Evil was filming and he was so excited that I had played RE that he gave me an autograph that says "Don't make me make you into a Jill sandwich!" Also he's gigantic and I am small, on my tip toes my head just reached the bottom of his arm pit. I have some issues with the casting, like the guy they picked for Leon. At least Wentworth Miller WAS Chris' facecap guy but it just isn't the same without MUSCLES. He should have went on every steroid ever for the role, you know, for immersion.

e: just read the plot synopsis for the movie on wikipedia. Can somone actually confirm if Wesker "redeems himself" and tries to get Alice to save humanity? If so, what the actual gently caress. I groaned so loud I'm now also mute.

54 40 or fuck fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Sep 16, 2012

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Wesker straight up gets fired by Umbrella after the Red Queen's coup de'teat is successful, (Ada Wong is also fired along with him). He then helps Alice escape the underground facility, flies her to the White House, which is barricaded on all sides to the rafters, and then injects her with the T-Virus again (this time inside the Oval Office), which gives her the superhuman abilities back. She says she's going to kill him, which he snickers at and tells her "maybe some other time", because now, they need to work together.

Then he takes her and her pals to the roof of the building, where he tells her that the people in the fortified White House complex are all that's left of humanity, and they need to destroy Umbrella once and for all.

Camera pans out; shows millions of zombies and Umbrella genetic creations of every variety trying to storm the facility whilst simultaneously fighting Wesker's attack helicopters and machinegun nests.

*cut to black; Bassnectar song*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alj4wCHO_00

I don't buy the "Redeemed" Wesker plot for a second. There's probably going to be a sixth and final movie where he reveals his subterfuge in some fashion.

Gonz fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Sep 16, 2012

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Yeah I saw RE: Retribution Friday, and I agree that it doesn't seem like Wesker's really a good guy. It's just that he's in circumstances where he needs help, and he knows the people he hurt most are really the only people who can help him. By giving her powers back at the end of the film, Alice pretty much made it clear that she's going to kill him, and that's a prophesy I see being fulfilled in the next film. But what the hell do I know? There will probably be 7 more films, each worse than the last. The series will probably end with Wesker marrying Alice, and them double-team kicking a zombie dinosaur into the crowd in 3D.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Massive plot hole: What ever happened to the "Wesker's T-Virus DNA is overtaking his body; he needs to eat Alice's flesh to regain control over it" storyline?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

I don't understand how anyone can read the spoilered text in the previous 3 posts and not declare the RE series the most ridiculous bag of poo poo ever.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

qbert posted:

I don't understand how anyone can read the spoilered text in the previous 3 posts and not declare the RE series the most ridiculous bag of poo poo ever.

Oh, I assure you. It is. It truly is.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Anyone get to ABC's of Death at TIFF?

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

I stopped caring about the intricacies of Resident Evil's plot 30 minutes into the first film. Hell, I didn't even mention Wesker's sudden, inexplicable about-face in my review of Resident Evil: Retribution because ... well, who gives a poo poo?

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Watched Trick 'r Treat again tonight. Made me feel so happy and anxious for Halloween. I wish there were more movies like it.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

Glamorama26 posted:

Oh I completely disagree, my man. She's pretty drat good in the film and is the perfect person for Candyman to feed off of. Her character completely makes sense within the context of the film and she knocks it out of the park. The scenes of her being strip searched and finding her husband with the college kid are genuinely heartbreaking and she plays completely crazy (but not really) very well.

I love Candyman because it has such patience. It makes you wait for it's villain and while that could backfire monumentally, you got Tony loving Todd just being a boss to completely make it worth every second. My God, his presence in that is ridiculously amazing.

Now if we're gonna talk about bad casting, lets discuss Ted Raimi as a tough biker dude.

I'm with you guys on the character, I just don't think Madsen was right for the role. She had to be literally put in a trance, for crying out loud! Another thing that got on my wick was that she made the feminist aspects of her motivations far too desperate - the only thing she was missing was a GIRL POWER t-shirt, although the director is to blame for that too. I like that the character is obnoxious, middle-class & a desperate feminist (or self-aggrandising at least, being female is just another hurdle for her) - but not when these traits are so overblown & badly TV-movie style acted.

Agree to disagree on this one (and hope for a remake starring Carey Mulligan, Rooney Mara, Jennifer Lawrence or another young actress who can actually act :tipshat:).

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

BisonDollah posted:

I'm with you guys on the character, I just don't think Madsen was right for the role. She had to be literally put in a trance, for crying out loud! Another thing that got on my wick was that she made the feminist aspects of her motivations far too desperate - the only thing she was missing was a GIRL POWER t-shirt, although the director is to blame for that too. I like that the character is obnoxious, middle-class & a desperate feminist (or self-aggrandising at least, being female is just another hurdle for her) - but not when these traits are so overblown & badly TV-movie style acted.

Agree to disagree on this one (and hope for a remake starring Carey Mulligan, Rooney Mara, Jennifer Lawrence or another young actress who can actually act :tipshat:).

Agree to disagree indeed. I know you were kidding about the remake, but Good Lord, you can't do it, Tony Todd is at the height of his powers and not alot of people can even try to replicate the menace he brought.

My contribution on the Resident Evil chat is the following: Paul W.S. Anderson may be the worst director working who currently gets a poo poo load of money to drive a loving piece of poo poo franchise into the ground. Holy poo poo, go look at his IMDB or wikipedia sometime. It's like a crime against humanity.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Paul W.S. Anderson directed Event Horizon, one of the most underappreciated horror flicks of the last 15 years. It even inspired the Dead Space videogame series.

The rest of his stuff is atrocious, but i'll always enjoy Laurence Fishburne and Sam Neill being driven mad on a spaceship from Hell.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

Event Horizon is perfectly acceptable, but it always struck me as something that coulda been great in someone else's hands.

I agree that I have no bones to pick with Dr. Allan Grant going batshit though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Glamorama26 posted:

I agree that I have no bones to pick with Dr. Allan Grant going batshit though.

"Where we're going, we won't need EYES to see....."