Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

d1rtbag
Sep 13, 2012

Eternal Man-Child
R.I.P. VileRat.

I've lurked on SA since I graduated from law school in 2000, but never bothered registering for the forum until now. I was drawn into this thread last month, after I registered for the FSOT. I read through VileRat's posts, among others, in preparing myself for my journey to what will hopefully be a new career.

It's heart-breaking to see a husband and father taken away by such senseless violence, and it's a sobering reminder of the 'other side' of this career choice. Nevertheless, VileRat's sacrifice has only strengthened my resolve to get through this process, so that I can maybe serve with the courage and sense of humor that he has demonstrated over the years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pamchenko
Apr 16, 2011
Thank God Sana'a is over. I have a very good friend there. What a terrible, terrible string of events.

I've been on RRB, but am heading back to Baghdad tomorrow. Um, everyone cross your fingers for me, I guess.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
How much does it matter what resume stuff I enter when I register for the FSOT that happens over Mid Autumn Festival? I always get so bogged down doing the government resume thing, there is just soooo much to put down. I assume the same rules apply as for USAJOBS.gov where you should put down everything possible and use keywords?

Am I safe in assuming that the advice of "just be update on current events, practice writing essays quickly, and have some stock life experiences that you can use for your answers" is the best advice for preparing for the test?

E: Just realized I burst in on remembrance chat. My apologies.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

DontAskKant posted:

How much does it matter what resume stuff I enter when I register for the FSOT that happens over Mid Autumn Festival? I always get so bogged down doing the government resume thing, there is just soooo much to put down. I assume the same rules apply as for USAJOBS.gov where you should put down everything possible and use keywords?

Am I safe in assuming that the advice of "just be update on current events, practice writing essays quickly, and have some stock life experiences that you can use for your answers" is the best advice for preparing for the test?

E: Just realized I burst in on remembrance chat. My apologies.

No worries, Vile Rat would want us to continue helping people out.

Yeah, I'd fill out the resume part for the FSOT registration as throughly as possible. I'm not sure if it's reviewed during the QEP, but it could (anybody know?).

As to advice on the FSOT itself. Yeah, be up to date, and think of examples where you've been in leaderships roles, had to be flexible, etc. I hadn't written a 5 paragraph essay in sometime, and that really killed me. I passed my 1st and only time taking the FSOT, but, didn't make it past the QEP.

Stay safe pamchenko and everybody else.

Zoots
Apr 19, 2007

No passport for you.
The Hague posted a brief release about VR:

quote:

The U.S. Embassy in The Hague mourns the loss of treasured colleague and friend Sean Smith. Sean died in the recent attacks on the U.S. Diplomatic Mission in Benghazi, Libya.

Sean was a valued and dedicated employee of our Embassy and volunteered for a short-term assignment in Libya.

The Embassy staff sends its condolences to wife Heather, daughter Samantha and son Nathan and the rest of his family.

We will miss him.

Godspeed, brother.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I'm gonna ask a question too. Last year I did really good on the test portion but lost a lot of points on the biographical section. I want to work on playing myself up better but I've never been that great at it.

I don't really need any specific advice I think, but some example sort of questions that I could mull over and practice on would be really helpful.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I'm gonna ask a question too. Last year I did really good on the test portion but lost a lot of points on the biographical section. I want to work on playing myself up better but I've never been that great at it.

I don't really need any specific advice I think, but some example sort of questions that I could mull over and practice on would be really helpful.

I don't know how to help you on that. We both saw the questions once... Just... think highly of yourself??

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Try asking someone that knows you well, what your best qualities are or if they're really direct with you, what your personality is like. Then figure out a way how to say that.

TCD and Diplomaticus, A++ posts on the other thread.

Skandiaavity fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Sep 13, 2012

Blooregard
Sep 7, 2012

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I've taken the test twice now, and raised my Bio score from around 38 the first time to around 60 the second, just by being less modest. Don't stretch the truth but put down anything that seems relevant. I once put down being captain of our rec softball league for example. It may seem trivial with regards to the FS but it answered the question they were asking.

trigger
Oct 31, 2003

Chasing rabbits on the flip side
I've only lurked in the thread, never posted. I've been interested in international jobs for some time so of course I've considered the FS. Heard about the crap in Libya and this was the first place I checked.

Just wanted to say RIP Vilerat, even though I never posted, your wisdom and candid posts were always appreciated. Condolences to all of his family and friends. :smith:

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

I never knew Vilerat, and sadly I only learned of him through news of his death. It's a huge tragedy. Though, as someone earlier mentioned, he would probably want people to continue helping out and trying to join. I never really knew of/thought of the State department as a means to pursue what I want to do, but this sounds like an absolutely fantastic thing.

One of the questions I have is pertaining to schools and how they view them. I am about to possibly enter an MA program for Political Science, but the thing is the school I might be going to isn't necessarily a Tier 1 school. It's a fairly cheap Illinois state school. However, academically I perform fairly well and am curious as to how much the status of my school will affect my chances of possibly getting in. I do plan to be highly involved with organizations and probably doing one or two of the international study programs for one or two semesters.

Also I suppose I'll ask the same question I did in the Peace Corps thread, even though I am sure the answer is probably still similar. If I have asthma that is well controlled with medication, does that strike me out for joining? Or would that just be for certain areas?

RIP Mr. Rat. I wish I had discovered this as an opportunity without you dying first. :smith:

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005

n0pe posted:

One of the questions I have is pertaining to schools and how they view them. I am about to possibly enter an MA program for Political Science, but the thing is the school I might be going to isn't necessarily a Tier 1 school. It's a fairly cheap Illinois state school. However, academically I perform fairly well and am curious as to how much the status of my school will affect my chances of possibly getting in. I do plan to be highly involved with organizations and probably doing one or two of the international study programs for one or two semesters.

Also I suppose I'll ask the same question I did in the Peace Corps thread, even though I am sure the answer is probably still similar. If I have asthma that is well controlled with medication, does that strike me out for joining? Or would that just be for certain areas?

Quite literally, we take everyone from all walks of life. The school you go to will not have an affect on your standing, or whether you get an invitation or not. However, some schools - such as Tier 1 schools - may teach their students how to write better, or craft a debate; or do a more thorough economic analysis, different management techniques, etc. In that case, your academic experiences will give you a leg up. State really doesn't care, and plenty of Tier 1 students have never made it through the FSOA. If it's something you're thinking about doing, then go ahead and try it out. The process itself can be very long, but as time goes by, you'll know if you really want to do it or not.

For your second question, the only answer I can give you is "it depends." as the medical officer will clear you. But I will say this: worry about that or making your case for that, when that time comes (which is after you take the exam, interview, group exercise and security clearance)

Skandiaavity fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Sep 14, 2012

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Skandiaavity posted:

Quite literally, we take everyone from all walks of life. The school you go to will not have an affect on your standing, or whether you get an invitation or not. However, some schools - such as Tier 1 schools - may teach their students how to write better, or craft a debate; or do a more thorough economic analysis, different management techniques, etc. In that case, your academic experiences will give you a leg up. State really doesn't care, and plenty of Tier 1 students have never made it through the FSOA.

For your second question, the only answer I can give you is "it depends." as the medical officer will clear you. But I will say this: worry about that or making your case for that, when that time comes (which is after you take the exam, interview, group exercise and security clearance)

Thank you. It actually means a lot to hear that it can heavily depend on an individual. Even though my school is a cheap state school I plan on trying to be as involved in all kinds of stuff as possible, and I am choosing International politics as my focus. This is a career that I have always kind of dreamed of having but I always had this idea that only ivy league government suit people get to do it.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

TCD posted:

No worries, Vile Rat would want us to continue helping people out.

Yeah, I'd fill out the resume part for the FSOT registration as throughly as possible. I'm not sure if it's reviewed during the QEP, but it could (anybody know?).

As to advice on the FSOT itself. Yeah, be up to date, and think of examples where you've been in leaderships roles, had to be flexible, etc. I hadn't written a 5 paragraph essay in sometime, and that really killed me. I passed my 1st and only time taking the FSOT, but, didn't make it past the QEP.

Stay safe pamchenko and everybody else.

drat, just re-registered for the test this morning, but left out the trash jobs I held in high school and the like. Hopefully that won't kill me.

You try writing a few sentences about bagging groceries. Can't be done.

Edit: vvv I stand corrected.

Gin and Juche fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Sep 14, 2012

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Gravel Gravy posted:

You try writing a few sentences about bagging groceries. Can't be done.

"With no qualifications to speak of, I learned the value of hard work, efficiency and pride in the workforce as a bagger at [grocery store x]. Although the occupation required little technical skill, I welcomed any opportunity presented that challenged my ability to perform new tasks. While doing so, I earned the respect of both my peers and the management appointed above me with my impeccable work ethic and dedication."

Governmentese is the best language to learn.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

n0pe posted:

I am about to possibly enter an MA program for Political Science, but the thing is the school I might be going to isn't necessarily a Tier 1 school. It's a fairly cheap Illinois state school. However, academically I perform fairly well and am curious as to how much the status of my school will affect my chances of possibly getting in.

It will have little effect. School prestige is not really that big of a factor here.

quote:

I believe, depending on the doctor, you can still get a class 1 medical certificate for it. Some might give you a class 2 which is not worldwide.

Smerdyakov
Jul 8, 2008

Vasudus posted:

"With no qualifications to speak of, I learned the value of hard work, efficiency and pride in the workforce as a bagger at [grocery store x]. Although the occupation required little technical skill, I welcomed any opportunity presented that challenged my ability to perform new tasks. While doing so, I earned the respect of both my peers and the management appointed above me with my impeccable work ethic and dedication."

Governmentese is the best language to learn.

This is fantastic, the only example needed for writing a work history and bio.

I really wanted to say RIP Vilerat, this thread and all the people in it took me from "There's a state department?" all the way to understanding things well enough to give me the confidence to register for the test and feel like I know what the job is about. It definitely helped snap me out of my aimlessness and despair over my future.

It's impossible to explain to the lay-person how people on the internet can change your life just by being informative and honest and encouraging. It's clear he did that for a lot of people. I lurk a lot and I wish I had a chance to thank him earlier, but I'd also like to sincerely thank everyone else who has maintained this thread and kept giving advice and answering the same questions over and over and kept us updated about their postings. It seems like a really little thing, but this small, personal, and human interaction can have a huge positive impact on people's lives.

I'm a bit late in posting this, but I want you all to know your help and insight are really appreciated and important to more people than you'll ever know. It's not grand or showy, but I think your work in this thread is a fitting tribute.

Smerdyakov fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Sep 14, 2012

shadowninja
Oct 30, 2005
The image is in your mind.
Marine security guard here, checking in from Tanzania. Just wanted to pay my respects to Vilerat, the DoS personnel, and local security who lost their lives over these last couple of days during these tragedies.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

n0pe posted:

RIP Mr. Rat. I wish I had discovered this as an opportunity without you dying first. :smith:
I was afraid for the longest time my asthma would DQ me and didn't pursue the FSOT out of college. On a whim I applied for one of the job openings Vile posted.

I made it through the med clearance process. Everybody’s case will be unique (“it depends”), but you will probably have to do another battery of lung tests before they issue a clearance. I'm worldwide available (class 1), so don't let your asthma get in the way. If you want, you can PM me and we can compare asthmas, but, that's completely up to you if you want to share your medical details with me. I'm not a doctor/nurse, but I can just relate my process to you.

Edit: Stay safe friends and colleagues around the world.

TCD fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Sep 14, 2012

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
A bit late, but, blue skies VR.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
I attended today's memorial. It was very heart-breaking and yet, it made me feel happy that vilerat & our other comrades were getting a proper send-off.

huge props to this administration for not politicizing it, and to Gen. Dempsey (i think that was him)for having talks with the kids. The Libyan Ambassador & his wife also send regards.

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer
I haven't known what to say yet, but what happened to Vilerat has been gripping me since TCD's first post about it that day. I never met him personally, or even had any direct communication with him, but I read updates to this thread multiple times a day, and I absolutely feel like I lost a friend, even though he probably wouldn't recognize the name Barracuda Bang!. I'm so sorry this happened.

That said, the outpouring of support in both the SA and Eve communities has been incredibly touching and makes me proud to be a part of what we otherwise denigrate as being some silly online-only geek hangout. I think if Vilerat were able to see the community reaction, he too would be filled with nothing but intense pride.

Vilerat wont be forgotten. Goonspeed, friend.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
Hannah, I don't know if you went. But I felt like I owe you guys to show you even the smallest details. If you want me to remove any of this out of respect, I'll be glad to do so. This was the booklet they offered.

The ceremony was quiet, and many people were talking about happier times they had with the four.

However, it quickly became packed - to the point by the rafters, where it was standing room only - and they had service members line the perimeter.

A lot of guests showed up.

A few things I wanted to point out,

Sen. John McCain & Sen John Kerry showed up. I did not expect McCain to, but I am very glad he did. He truly put away politics and whatever differences he had aside to honor the fallen. (Personally, I wish more Republicans were like him). Kerry sat next to Mr. Smith's family. I might have gotten a picture of them, but I am not going to post out of respect for their mourning.

President Obama - he first arrived, then went and talked to the families, and while everyone else was sitting down, he went across a row and hugged someone's daughter and talked with her for a few. That really struck out. A lot of people were trying to get a picture of it. I don't know if that was captured in the live feed.

The Libyan Ambassador and his wife also showed up. After the ceremony, they met with the families. It was very sincere and there were a lot of hugs/crying.

Last, but not least, the Marines, as usual, were impeccable. Much respect is had to them and the MSG that serve alongsides us. I cannot imagine how they do their jobs so well, when it can be so difficult. But thank you, from a FSO.

I did not get any more pictures after the arrival point because it's when I choked up. Their speeches went to the heart.

Skandiaavity fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Sep 15, 2012

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Godspeed Vile and all. I'm glad you're all home.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
If anyone can identify the chaplain (who is to the right of Secretary Clinton), I'd be grateful. Wanted to send him a note.

Litany
Feb 5, 2005
the stains become a warning?
I saw the live stream at the airport today. Wasn't the only one tearing up in the midst of the long lines. RIP.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Skandiaavity posted:

If anyone can identify the chaplain (who is to the right of Secretary Clinton), I'd be grateful. Wanted to send him a note.

According to the DoD it's US Army Chaplain Col. J. Wesley Smith. I can't really find much more info about him though.

Starpluck
Sep 11, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

IMPORTANT NOTE from Vilerat: Places are unimportant, people make the place in this work. The best post could be a living hell if your Ambassador/DCM/MGMT suck but the worst hellhole on the planet could be the place you always remember as your favorite post if the community is awesome.

Holy poo poo... honestly given the exact circumstances, this specific note from Vilerat is so loving eerie

I know I'm a bit late but RIP Vilerat :( Honestly was upset when I heard the news.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005

Ammat The Ankh posted:

According to the DoD it's US Army Chaplain Col. J. Wesley Smith. I can't really find much more info about him though.

Thank you. (FS goons, I will be writing a letter thanking Chaplain Smith for his touching service. Let me know if you would like to add your name to it/review it.)

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
Skandiaavity, thanks for sharing. For those of us not in the Foreign Service but with a strong interest in it, your posts here and in the remembrance thread have been really informative and helpful in following things. Much appreciated.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I got a weekend test day so I don't have to miss work

Downside, I registered too late and the only remotely accessible place that had weekend slots open is two and a half hours away, round trip. The community college ten minutes from me only had weekday appointments.

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast

Starpluck posted:

Holy poo poo... honestly given the exact circumstances, this specific note from Vilerat is so loving eerie

I know I'm a bit late but RIP Vilerat :( Honestly was upset when I heard the news.

I was shocked when I found out it was Vilerat. We had emailed back and forth a few times regarding FSOT opportunities. Such a tragedy, RIP homey.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
I haven't been to this thread for a while, since I ended up getting a job with the DoD, but I remembered that Vilerat encouraged me to keep applying for the Foreign Service because it's completely worth it.

I'm going to apply again, I think.

edit: bam, done

CherryCola fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Sep 15, 2012

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
First, RIP VR. I'm an Eve goon so its been a rough few days and I didnt know VR all that well. Anyhow, I never really bothered to look at FSO as an option when I retire from the military (I'm a Navy officer) but since I was following so many threads about VR I ended up here. After reading through FSO has jumped to the top of my list for my options when I retire. ( I have 6 years left). The main question I have right now is how far in advance should I start the application process considering I'd only like to take a few months off before I jump into my next job.

Also, all the tracks seem really awesome; are there any in you guy's experience that a military officer background seems to well suited for?

shadowninja
Oct 30, 2005

vulturesrow posted:

First, RIP VR. I'm an Eve goon so its been a rough few days and I didnt know VR all that well. Anyhow, I never really bothered to look at FSO as an option when I retire from the military (I'm a Navy officer) but since I was following so many threads about VR I ended up here. After reading through FSO has jumped to the top of my list for my options when I retire. ( I have 6 years left). The main question I have right now is how far in advance should I start the application process considering I'd only like to take a few months off before I jump into my next job.

Also, all the tracks seem really awesome; are there any in you guy's experience that a military officer background seems to well suited for?

I'm sure others will have more qualified answers than myself, but most RSO's I've served with are prior military and are really great guys. I personally will look into that side of the house when I'm done with MSG duty, since it aligns well with a military background. Plus, you will most likely have a detachment of Marines under your charge which means unlimited bar access at our house.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

shadowninja posted:

I'm sure others will have more qualified answers than myself, but most RSO's I've served with are prior military and are really great guys. I personally will look into that side of the house when I'm done with MSG duty, since it aligns well with a military background. Plus, you will most likely have a detachment of Marines under your charge which means unlimited bar access at our house.

RSO?

shadowninja
Oct 30, 2005

Sorry, an RSO is a Regional Security Officer http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regional_Security_Officer

pamchenko
Apr 16, 2011

Regional Security Officer. All things security.

Back in Baghdad now. Uneventful, as far as I can tell, hope it stays that way. So far the most serious thing that's gone wrong since my return is that apparently the dry cleaners burned down and took some of my clothes with it...

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin

pamchenko posted:

Regional Security Officer. All things security.
...and so much more! I am a DS Agent currently serving at a difficult post.

I have been on SA for years, but only learned about VileRat being associated with the FS in the recent press. The loss of each American hit us hard in a way I can't adequately express. Ambassador Chris Stevens was one of the best people I've ever had the pleasure of working with. To think of him being gone....

Ours is a job very few people know about, but it contains some of the most remarkable people I've ever met. Please...ask away.

EDIT: for discretion!

Bruxism fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Sep 15, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homie S
Aug 6, 2001

This is what it means

Bruxism posted:

...and so much more! I am a DS Agent currently serving at a difficult post.

I have been on SA for years, but only learned about VileRat being associated with the FS in the recent press. The loss of each American hit us hard in a way I can't adequately express. Ambassador Chris Stevens was one of the best people I've ever had the pleasure of working with. To think of him being gone....

Ours is a job very few people know about, but it contains some of the most remarkable people I've ever met. Please...ask away.

EDIT: for discretion!

Now there are 3 of us!