Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

What if current crew members are dressed in costume?

Is he supposed to be Max Payne?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

My favourite level in Max Payne 3 was the boogie boarding one.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Is he supposed to be Max Payne?

It's from Dynamite Deka challenge so he's essentially dressed as Bruce Willis in Die Hard.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
The night crept in like an uninvited skeleton, slinking his way into my closet.

I have to finish this level before time is up...

The futility of my words were chiseled into place as I lost another life. Just another night spent watching dwindling numbers on a flickering screen and cheap snacks.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

It's from Dynamite Deka challenge so he's essentially dressed as Bruce Willis in Die Hard.

イッピー・カイ・エー、マーザーファッカー

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

Nipponophile posted:

イッピー・カイ・エー、マーザーファッカー

In 2006 I went to study in Japan. Me and my roommate found Die Hard on TV, and since it was dubbed in Japanese and I had never seen it, we decided to watch the movie instead of surfing around for commercials. It was loving surreal to hear that line for the first time like that.

So worth it. For those who can't read katakana, Yippie kay ay, Mother Fucker

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Nipponophile posted:

イッピー・カイ・エー、マーザーファッカー

This is television. I think you mean:

イッピーカイエーファルコンさん。

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Was the Die Hard arcade challenge any good?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mister Chief posted:

Was the Die Hard arcade challenge any good?

I liked it but it wasn't as strong as some of the other DVD challenges. There were a lot of strange things in it too (New AD Itou dressed up as a game character is the least of it and happens very early on) which pumped things up but Arino really flies through the game. It's barely a challenge at all for him and after he beats the game they have to extend the challenge by making him play through the whole thing again coop with Itou.

While I like all of the DVD challenges it ranks down near the bottom of those with Yie Ar Kung Fu.

For those curious about the best, I really like Bomberman (obviously), Twinbee, and the revenge attempt on The Genji and the Heike Clans.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Random Stranger posted:

I liked it but it wasn't as strong as some of the other DVD challenges. There were a lot of strange things in it too (New AD Itou dressed up as a game character is the least of it and happens very early on) which pumped things up but Arino really flies through the game. It's barely a challenge at all for him and after he beats the game they have to extend the challenge by making him play through the whole thing again coop with Itou.

So does he play Die Hard Arcade on an American Saturn or is it Dynamite Cop? This matters a great deal because one has Bruce Willis (and is therefore better)

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

Gutcruncher posted:

So does he play Die Hard Arcade on an American Saturn or is it Dynamite Cop? This matters a great deal because one has Bruce Willis (and is therefore better)

It's Dynamite Deka/Die Hard Arcade on a JPN Saturn. Dynamite Cop was Dynamite Deka 2 and was on the Dreamcast.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Arino does point out that the guy on the front of the box is Bruce Willis, though.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

They added all the references to Die Hard for the US release right? I assume the Japanese one was more of a homage and the US release just made it official.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Mister Chief posted:

They added all the references to Die Hard for the US release right? I assume the Japanese one was more of a homage and the US release just made it official.

Yeah, the Japanese version had a dude dressed (kind of) like Bruce Willis, and took place in a Skyscraper for the same reason Shinobi had a dude who kind of looked like Batman. I guess storming a skyscraper full of bad guys was just an interesting setting for a beat-em-up, and the paralells to a popular movie let people use their imaginations to "get into" the game a little more?

When the chance to use the license came up, and Sega put one and one together, they just ran with it. The fact that the American version is so disconnected from the movie in ways that licensed games almost always try to avoid makes me think they had no intention to tie it to Die Hard when they were producing it.

Tyma fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Sep 15, 2012

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

zari-gani posted:

I'm interested in this Legend of River King challenge (what should we call it? Only two of the Kawa no Nushi Turi games came out in English... Legend of River King 2 is KnNT 4, and Legend of the River King is KnNT 3, so... Legend of River King Zero??). I love the more unorthodox challenges. Here's some gameplay footage. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzSm13voe4c
ETA: Three games, not two.

I'm surprised that French words being left untranslated is a common thing. French is so much closer to English than Japanese is.

I'd just go with "Kawa no Nushi Turi(A "Legend of River King" game, unreleased in the US)". It's about as clear and to the point as I can think of.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

While talking about titles may I just say "gently caress you!" to games that have a title in english that six times longer to say than it is in Japanese. And that's not even counting how dense written Japanese is; 30 characters in English compared to three in Japanese.

This episode is being a pain even before I get to the ugly parts.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Random Stranger posted:

While talking about titles may I just say "gently caress you!" to games that have a title in english that six times longer to say than it is in Japanese. And that's not even counting how dense written Japanese is; 30 characters in English compared to three in Japanese.

This episode is being a pain even before I get to the ugly parts.

Cant use an acronym or anything like that?

e: I think zani-giri was the one that said the Oyoyo (baby tetris puzzle platformer) episode was sort of boring? Thats a shame, because that game looked really interesting from the game corner segment.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
New clear folders to be sold at TGS:

Large version: http://www.gascoin.co.jp/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/06_kof.jpg

I really want that FOR TOO MUCH DOING TV GAME one.

Silly Voodoo
Mar 31, 2011

There will be no clipping!
We all do. :allears:

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

zari-gani posted:

I really want that FOR TOO MUCH DOING TV GAME one.

You should really offer Kan your services as an English language consultant. :v:

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I can't figure out what they mean by "For out the difficult challenge." I'm an English major! I should be able to translate bad grammar, but this! This is two prepositions right next to each other! That's just grammatical madness!

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Cemetry Gator posted:

I can't figure out what they mean by "For out the difficult challenge." I'm an English major! I should be able to translate bad grammar, but this! This is two prepositions right next to each other! That's just grammatical madness!

Doesn't he "out" the next challenge at the end of each episode with a hint?

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Cemetry Gator posted:

Out is definitely being used as a verb there, the question is which one? It could either be to let a secret slip, or to release. Hes either in trouble for giving away the next challenge, or creating difficult challenges to torture Arino with.

McLaglen
Nov 12, 2011

what is love?
what is free love?
what is love?
love is free.

:scotland:

Cemetry Gator posted:

Since the show likes to shoehorn 'completing challenges' into the Pixel King segments as a plot point, as if their completion somehow has a positive effect on events in that world ("We can probably reverse the spell... if Arino completes enough games!"), it stands to reason that the King and his family are the ones creating challenges for Arino in the first place.

Thus, the poster is probably meant to say "FOR (SETTING) OUT THE DIFFICULT CHALLENGE(S)", which could become "FOR CREATING RIDICULOUSLY DIFFICULT CHALLENGES" if you re-wrote it.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

That first poster is literally flawless.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

McLaglen posted:

Thus, the poster is probably meant to say "FOR (SETTING) OUT THE DIFFICULT CHALLENGE(S)", which could become "FOR CREATING RIDICULOUSLY DIFFICULT CHALLENGES" if you re-wrote it.
Yeah, if you back-translate it, you'll probably come up with the verb that means "to put out", which makes sense in context.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Are we thinking google translate or someone on staff?

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Mister Chief posted:

Are we thinking google translate or someone on staff?

My guess is "first one, then the other"

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

On the annoyingly obscure hints for the next release front, I've owned a copy of the game Arino plays in this episode for more than six months but I haven't been able to bring myself to actually play it. Maybe I'll give it a try in a few hours...

Olive Mohel
Nov 8, 2006

Life is more than a series of ones and zeroes.
Hey I just wanted to pop in and say I totally want dibs on a FOR TOO MUCH DOING TV GAME avatar. Also, my vote for translating the fishgame is to just translate the title to English and maybe have a mention that it's in the Legend of the River King series. No point making up a title for it, or leaving it as its non-explanatory Japanese title. Unless "Legend of the River King" is what it translates to, in which case, well gently caress.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
Does anyone want this in resolutions that aren't 1440 x 900 (The resolution of winners)?

Tyma fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Sep 16, 2012

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Oh shoot, I don't know how I missed this:

This was actually "something special coming up" I mentioned a while back -- they told me they wanted to use this picture for some kind of merchandise and was considering clear folders at first. But this was way before they decided to use it for the DVD cover, so I thought they had opted to do that instead of merchandise.

But most of all, I'd love to have these headphones:

Olive Mohel
Nov 8, 2006

Life is more than a series of ones and zeroes.

Tyma posted:

Does anyone want this in resolutions that aren't 1440 x 900 (The resolution of winners)?

Well hell, this would've been much cleaner for an avatar. Oh well. I'd appreciate a 1920x1080 version.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I think that makes you the number one fan, in the world. Not only are they using an image you drew for what could have been an uneventful visit as a design for a bunch of their merchandise, but they hired you to draw something for the show, translate one of their songs, and then when the local DVD release came around, you got hired to translate that!

And you live in a country where you technically can't legally watch the show!

Madam, you are la numero un admirateur.

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
stealing your mother's diary
My god I would buy that hoodie in a heartbeat.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Wonder if we could manage them to ship over a crate of 50 to sell to goons....

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Sorry but I think that looks terrible. Why would they take something so colourful and vibrant and make it black and white, removing half of the detail? Inoko MAX has no legs! They should have used it for one of the clear folders.

Tucked In The Cut
Nov 15, 2006

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'd rather brush my teeth
with a rusty razor
than front and bullshit
with all you fakers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

zari-gani posted:

But most of all, I'd love to have these headphones:

Noo freakin way, Game Center CX Audio Technicas? That is the coolest thing ever. I need me those.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Mister Chief posted:

Sorry but I think that looks terrible. Why would they take something so colourful and vibrant and make it black and white, removing half of the detail? Inoko MAX has no legs! They should have used it for one of the clear folders.

Yeah, I don't think it translates too well to stark black and white. If that's what they wanted I could've made some quick adjustments to make it work better, like making Inoue's legs more visible. But it's still cool that they used it for merchandise so I'm not complaining!

Cemetry Gator posted:

I think that makes you the number one fan, in the world.

Never thought of it that way but I guess there is some merit to me calling myself that...

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Sep 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Is there any way to buy this stuff besides yahoo auctions?