Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVUyyHYkBHk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS

Lyssavirus posted:

Couldn't find it in a local store, because until very recently (the day I posted that, in fact) I didn't have a bank account, and had no way to purchase things online. I do know how to use google. :geno:

You can't really fault someone for assuming you're a functional human being with basic human things like bank accounts.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

The internet is just totally baffling. Located at the end of Casu Marzu's video were some suggestions... Wuh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjanqQ0ANxY

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

CuddleChunks posted:

The internet is just totally baffling. Located at the end of Casu Marzu's video were some suggestions... Wuh?

This is amazing.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

What in the god

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Just had a badass ribeye a la tampequena. It is good to be from the west.

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

with this bracken for a blanket, where these limbs stick out like bones

This is honestly, 100%, the besssssssssssssssssssssss thing I've seen on youtube in a really long time.

+30 points for an E30.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

CuddleChunks posted:

What the French-fried gently caress.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

If Wesley Willis were still alive this is what he'd be doing.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

tunneeee

me an my bro been on da 'swa' tip son

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Sjurygg posted:

What the French-fried gently caress.

French-fried indeed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRf_qUT_8cA

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Just think: with some pluck, effort and good old-fashioned Yankee know-how we too could be making spectacles of ourselves on the INTERNETS.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
aww yeh. got a fuckload to live up to, but...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsENwmK5UtI

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I am making challah for the first time. I'm fairly confident with bread but I am not used to such a sweet dough or large quantity. (Making excuses in advance).

Edit: oh dear. Dough was far too wet and loose, which made shaping very tricky. It also means they've spread beyond the tray. They look pretty amateurish but I hope they taste good. I recall reading that the flour I use requires lower hydration but just didn't remember now or take it into account.

therattle fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Sep 16, 2012

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

kiteless posted:

This is honestly, 100%, the besssssssssssssssssssssss thing I've seen on youtube in a really long time.

+30 points for an E30.

:allears: It really is

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

A lady is selling black market tamales at my black market green grocer now! Totes awesome, $1.25 a piece, and now I have breakfast. Black market tamales are the best tamales.

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

with this bracken for a blanket, where these limbs stick out like bones

Casu Marzu posted:

:allears: It really is

Except this is my new favorite song and music video. <3 Macklemore!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QK8mJJJvaes

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
Well, I have now spatchcocked a chicken. That was pretty easy! Thank you very much for the video, Gravity. She is now marinating for six hours or so, gonna grill tonight and I'll post some pics.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

kiteless posted:

Except this is my new favorite song and music video. <3 Macklemore!

I always liked this song by him too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgjwAZ9TR3U

Macklemore is <3

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Sep 16, 2012

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Powdered Toast Man posted:

Well, I have now spatchcocked a chicken. That was pretty easy! Thank you very much for the video, Gravity. She is now marinating for six hours or so, gonna grill tonight and I'll post some pics.
You're... You're marinating Gravity? Nnnnnnoooooooo!!!!

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

therattle posted:

You're... You're marinating Gravity? Nnnnnnoooooooo!!!!

Grav is the manliest looking chick I've seen in a while.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Mr. Wiggles posted:

A lady is selling black market tamales at my black market green grocer now! Totes awesome, $1.25 a piece, and now I have breakfast. Black market tamales are the best tamales.

When I lived at my mom's place way back in the day there was a lady that drove around our neighborhood selling tamales door to door. 12 for 10 bucks. drat good. Her little boy did all the transacting because her English was really poor and one time they came by on Halloween so we gave him some of our trick or treat candy and then every time after that he was sad we didn't have candy for him so I just kept some candy just for them.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

therattle posted:

I am making challah for the first time. I'm fairly confident with bread but I am not used to such a sweet dough or large quantity. (Making excuses in advance).

Edit: oh dear. Dough was far too wet and loose, which made shaping very tricky. It also means they've spread beyond the tray. They look pretty amateurish but I hope they taste good. I recall reading that the flour I use requires lower hydration but just didn't remember now or take it into account.

What's your recipe?
Challah is like brioche in that it has so much butter in it that it really needs to be shaped while it's pretty cold. A cold rise overnight can help too. That will also help develop a little more flavor.
The traditional shape is the braided loaves, but it works perfectly fine in a loaf pan as well.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Thumposaurus posted:

What's your recipe?
Challah is like brioche in that it has so much butter in it that it really needs to be shaped while it's pretty cold. A cold rise overnight can help too. That will also help develop a little more flavor.
The traditional shape is the braided loaves, but it works perfectly fine in a loaf pan as well.

There is no butter in challah. That's kind of the point.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Yeah, I used oil. Given the strict separation if meat and dairy by religious Jews most challah does not have butter. No, my problem was hydration which made shaping very hard with a loose dough. The texture and flavour were pretty good: better than many store-bought loaves, which was good, but not as good as I'd hoped. While the crumb was lovely and soft, and the crust thin, it wasn't as cakey as it could be. I used the smitten kitchen recipe and added some sourdough starter for flavour. My starter is pretty wet which probably didn't help. An overnight cold ferment would certainly help. The in-laws certainly liked it.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Yeah, and I'd go so far as to say that if it's not braided it's not challah as well, but a challah-themed loaf of something else, in the same way a bialy isn't a bagel.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

SubG posted:

Yeah, and I'd go so far as to say that if it's not braided it's not challah as well, but a challah-themed loaf of something else, in the same way a bialy isn't a bagel.
Apart from a coiled spiral for Rosh Hashonah, which is what I made. :colbert:

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Maybe he forgot to properly temper the mix of pig's blood and milk.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I was going to do a challenge thread for Sunday gravy (ragu Napolitano) since that's a thing we do. So i spent all day today cooking it up and taking photos, etc. But then company came by just before I was done and of course we invited them to eat supper with us and in the mad rush I forgot to take photos of anything past the "and here's what it looks like after simmering for 8 hours" step. I remembered right during coffee and spumoni time, but by then it was too late. :sigh: oh well.

So i guess what I'm saying is everybody should make Sunday gravy next weekend.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Sjurygg posted:

Maybe he forgot to properly temper the mix of pig's blood and milk.

Not pig's blood, you idiot! This was a special challah for Rosh Hashonah, a Jewish holiday!

Only Christian children's blood will do for that.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I was going to do a challenge thread for Sunday gravy (ragu Napolitano) since that's a thing we do. So i spent all day today cooking it up and taking photos, etc. But then company came by just before I was done and of course we invited them to eat supper with us and in the mad rush I forgot to take photos of anything past the "and here's what it looks like after simmering for 8 hours" step. I remembered right during coffee and spumoni time, but by then it was too late. :sigh: oh well.

So i guess what I'm saying is everybody should make Sunday gravy next weekend.

Take a picture of your turd, so we see what it looks like on the other end.

therattle fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Sep 17, 2012

Grushenka
Jan 4, 2009

therattle posted:

Yeah, I used oil. Given the strict separation if meat and dairy by religious Jews most challah does not have butter. No, my problem was hydration which made shaping very hard with a loose dough. The texture and flavour were pretty good: better than many store-bought loaves, which was good, but not as good as I'd hoped. While the crumb was lovely and soft, and the crust thin, it wasn't as cakey as it could be. I used the smitten kitchen recipe and added some sourdough starter for flavour. My starter is pretty wet which probably didn't help. An overnight cold ferment would certainly help. The in-laws certainly liked it.

I love Smitten Kitchen's recipe. Never had any problems with it, either. She just posted a challah recipe with figs, olive oil, and sea salt...not sure how I feel about that one. Man, I haven't made or eaten challah in ages...too much going on right now.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Grushenka posted:

I love Smitten Kitchen's recipe. Never had any problems with it, either. She just posted a challah recipe with figs, olive oil, and sea salt...not sure how I feel about that one. Man, I haven't made or eaten challah in ages...too much going on right now.

I've read that the flour I used (Shipton Mill) requires about 8% less hydration than others, so that might have been the issue, plus, as I said, the addition of some wet sourdough starter. I am o bread expert but I know enough to know that it was too wet. I did add a bit of extra flour during the knead, but not enough, evidently.

Figs, OO and sea salt sounds AMAZING.

Do you use strong flour or plain flour for challah? I used 80:20.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them

Mr. Wiggles posted:

In Texas, a little lady used to come by the factory right about lunchtime on payday like clockwork with coolers and coolers coolers full of hot tamales. they were awesome. I would buy a couple dozen each time eat a bunch for lunch and put the rest in the refrigerator to take home.

Food safety be damned.

Grushenka
Jan 4, 2009

therattle posted:

I've read that the flour I used (Shipton Mill) requires about 8% less hydration than others, so that might have been the issue, plus, as I said, the addition of some wet sourdough starter. I am o bread expert but I know enough to know that it was too wet. I did add a bit of extra flour during the knead, but not enough, evidently.

Figs, OO and sea salt sounds AMAZING.

Do you use strong flour or plain flour for challah? I used 80:20.

I'm a poor postgrad, it's usually all own brand strong bread flour from the supermarket, to my great shame! I've never found the quality to suffer, and in fact I prefer this challah to the bland stuff I got from Chabad back in the day. I think the trick for me was to be really careful about adding in the eight cups of flour. I sifted it super slowly and in general just sort of babied the dough. It turned out really well, nice and fluffy and rich on the inside. It also made fantastic eggy bread.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

NosmoKing posted:

Food safety be damned.

when you think about it, food safety is a lot younger than humanity

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Forgot that I was cutting Chili and scratched my nose. Interesting.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

pile of brown posted:

when you think about it, food safety is a lot younger than humanity
Only if you buy into that whole evolution bull-poo poo!

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Tips on re-sizing photos for ICSA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Vegetable Melange posted:

Tips on re-sizing photos for ICSA?

Open in GIMP, right-click, Image->Scale Image. :v:

Or you can drop it into imgur and stick a lowercase L on the end of the image filename (i.e. a43gS.jpg -> a43gSl.jpg) and it automatically gives you a scaled down version. I think pasting that URL into an SA post automatically links to the full-sized version, too.

I ran into a random Austrian woman in the restaurant supply store today. Found out my German is still good enough to impress native speakers. :coal: