Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
How often do people get multiple enemies actually caught in a stasis bubble? I'm sitting on my last few points for my Asari Adept, if I've ever seen the bubble actually get more than one enemy it hasn't been very often, and that "increase damage done to target by 50%" is sounding awfully tempting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
So I decided to try out the Kishock BatSol. I had only tried the gun once earlier, with some other class, and didn't really get the hang of it then. Looking back though, I think the reason was that I was playing with a somewhat laggy host so I naturally couldn't hit poo poo.

This time I hosted myself though, and hoooo boy I love that thing. It's just so immensely satisfying to use, what with the THWACK! sound it makes and enemies flying around from the force of the blow. Now if only it had a bayonet, I'd be a happy camper.

Still no assault rifle extended barrel, btw. This is getting ridiculous.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.

Paracelsus posted:

How often do people get multiple enemies actually caught in a stasis bubble? I'm sitting on my last few points for my Asari Adept, if I've ever seen the bubble actually get more than one enemy it hasn't been very often, and that "increase damage done to target by 50%" is sounding awfully tempting.
I usually manage to catch at least two enemies in a stasis bubble, because I wouldn't even cast it unless such an opportunity presents itself. The cooldown is so long that [Throw (enemy dodges) > Warp > Throw] is preferable against a lone infantry target. The obvious exceptions are Phantoms (who get targeted directly, before they've cloaked) and Hunters (who get a bubble placed a meter ahead of them, which they promptly walk into).

Stick with the bubble. Get in the habit of using it whenever your cooldown is complete and you don't have any targets in sight - use it as a pre-emptive trap on a spawn point, put it on the floor and then stand on it, or use it to block a nearby doorway so that you can focus your attention elsewhere.

The vulnerability evolution isn't great, because it expires as soon as the target takes enough damage to break the stasis effect (which is only a few hundred points IIRC*). You can carry an ultralight Paladin, stack up on gear, choose weapon bonus and headshot damage abilities and deal impressive single-shot damage against a helpless target... but the shield gate will screw you over, and follow-up shots are difficult because the target keels over immediately. Meanwhile, the sacrifices that you've made in order to pull off this stunt (e.g. neglected Fitness, neglected Power Damage bonuses) will reduce your effectiveness as a biotic artillery piece.

I'd advise you to use the stasis bubble as a situational crowd-control tool, occasionally but to focus on [Warp > Throw] and pistol plinking for damage output. The [Stasis > Snipe] playstyle is fun for a while but isn't ideal for the high-level play - you'll achieve more by tagging along with another biotic, by Warping armored targets for the benefit of gun-users, and by [Warp > Throw]ing bosses for splash damage.

* This number can be increased, but you should not do so. Choose the Duration and Bubble evolutions. Recharge or Bonus Power is up to you; I prefer the consistent recharge bonus (which fits into muscle-memory patterns) but some people have better reflexes and can make effective use of the instant-cooldown opportunities.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
If you've maxed out everything except ultrarares I'd just buy equipment packs between now and the next DLC, save like 5 million and then get 50 PSPs when there'll be new rare characters and weapons replacing those level IV consumables.

Then you can immediately resume complaining that the only ultra rare you got was a Javelin and your manifest is maxed out apart from ultra rares but from a position of having the new weapons at X and all the new characters.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I'm starting to get a lot more level IV consumables than I have been... I'm a little worried that I won't be able to max out my QMI's character cards so I can put on that sweet red skin tone.

GulMadred posted:

Recharge or Bonus Power is up to you; I prefer the consistent recharge bonus (which fits into muscle-memory patterns) but some people have better reflexes and can make effective use of the instant-cooldown opportunities.

You can have a hell of a good time with Instant Stasis and Instant Charge on the Asari Vanguard. I wouldn't recommend it on the Asari Adept because that class is rhythmic (Warp -> Throw, Stasis -> Warp, etc.) but it sure is fun on the Vanguard. Also, Lift Grenades suck even more so than Cluster Grenades, so don't invest a lot of points into them.

PsychoHawk
Aug 7, 2004
We can't stop here ... this is BAT country!

Nordick posted:

This time I hosted myself though, and hoooo boy I love that thing. It's just so immensely satisfying to use, what with the THWACK! sound it makes and enemies flying around from the force of the blow.

I like the idea/synergy of the BatSol's Blades and the Kishock, but the OP needs to note that you need a game with a solid host or host it yourself. Any sort of lag and your rotation is instantly hosed. I know part of my problem was timing the Blade use to properly reload cancel, I usually hit the blades too early and it wouldn't count the reload attempt. The few times I got the combo to work it was great fun, but as soon as lag kicked up, I'd shoot, start to reload, go to hit blades and then suddenly be on the floor bleeding out.

The Blue Caboose
May 20, 2007

jeff gerstmann hates fun
Hooray! I finally got my Demolisher. Now i'm just missing N7 Fury. (I'm also missing Vorcha Sentinel, Phoenix Vanguard and QME, but I have the alternates on those and I don't particularly care for any of them so hey (also asari adept, but the human sentinel and justicar are flat out better).

How would one go about speccing the demolisher? I'm thinking resupply frequency/weapon damage/extra grenade for the pylon. Do Arc Grenades need to have the electric damage upgrade to set up tech explosions? Am I going to get instakilled on gold with a 6/6/6/6/0 build? Will I suck if I only have +1 grenade on my gear?

I'm excited to finally have a class where I won't be tethered to a box with a Harrier/Paladin combination.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

The Blue Caboose posted:

(also asari adept, but the human sentinel and justicar are flat out better).

aside from your wrong opinions, spec your demolisher 6/6/6/4/4. lemme go dig up the actual link but you're on the right track. And yes take electric damage upgrade, it owns.

http://narida.pytalhost.com/me3/classes/#25MNMFFB0q2@A@@D4E4L4O4

Psion fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Sep 15, 2012

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Psion posted:

aside from your wrong opinions, spec your demolisher 6/6/6/4/4. lemme go dig up the actual link but you're on the right track. And yes take electric damage upgrade, it owns.

http://narida.pytalhost.com/me3/classes/#25MNMFFB0q2@A@@D4E4L4O4
Agreed. I only have +1 grenade gear right now and 6/6/6/4/4 is easily the best way I've specced my demolisher.

edit: Yeah, I specc'd identically to Psion, except I went with radius over damage on my Arc grenades. The stun + increased damage to more targets make it easier to finish them off with my Harrier.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
The game refuses to give me Vorcha Soldier and Geth Engineer (not that I would play them but they're the last two I need) :argh: that video reminds me that I haven't gotten a respec power card since they got changed to Uncommon.

subroc
Jun 5, 2004

SciFiDownBeat posted:

I'm starting to get a lot more level IV consumables than I have been... I'm a little worried that I won't be able to max out my QMI's character cards so I can put on that sweet red skin tone.

You can have a hell of a good time with Instant Stasis and Instant Charge on the Asari Vanguard. I wouldn't recommend it on the Asari Adept because that class is rhythmic (Warp -> Throw, Stasis -> Warp, etc.) but it sure is fun on the Vanguard. Also, Lift Grenades suck even more so than Cluster Grenades, so don't invest a lot of points into them.

Did you just say that Lift Grenades suck? Wait, did you also say that CLUSTER GRENADES suck?? Are you having a hard time aiming bouncy grenades or something?

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

PsychoHawk posted:

I like the idea/synergy of the BatSol's Blades and the Kishock, but the OP needs to note that you need a game with a solid host or host it yourself. Any sort of lag and your rotation is instantly hosed. I know part of my problem was timing the Blade use to properly reload cancel, I usually hit the blades too early and it wouldn't count the reload attempt. The few times I got the combo to work it was great fun, but as soon as lag kicked up, I'd shoot, start to reload, go to hit blades and then suddenly be on the floor bleeding out.

Will do! I don't tend to hit lag like that all too often, so I haven't run into stuff like that yet. I appreciate the feedback.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

KingShiro posted:

The game refuses to give me Vorcha Soldier and Geth Engineer (not that I would play them but they're the last two I need) :argh: that video reminds me that I haven't gotten a respec power card since they got changed to Uncommon.

Why won't you give these classes a chance? The Gethgineer let's you keep everybody from going down, and Chain Overload will lock down entire spawns for you or your team to headshot at your leisure.

And you're basically Wolverine with the Vorcha Soldier, unkillable on Bronze and still all kinds of ridiculous on higher difficulties.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Hey, for the Vorcha Soldier, should I just ignore Carnage and put 6 in all the other categories?

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

VJeff posted:

Hey, for the Vorcha Soldier, should I just ignore Carnage and put 6 in all the other categories?
Yes. Absolutely.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

subroc posted:

Did you just say that Lift Grenades suck? Wait, did you also say that CLUSTER GRENADES suck?? Are you having a hard time aiming bouncy grenades or something?

Yeah this is loving crazy. Lift grenades hit like a dump truck.Asari vanguard + Claymore = Asari commando. Some of the most fun i've had playing this game due in no small part to how good lift grenades are.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Ravenfood posted:

Agreed. I only have +1 grenade gear right now and 6/6/6/4/4 is easily the best way I've specced my demolisher.

edit: Yeah, I specc'd identically to Psion, except I went with radius over damage on my Arc grenades. The stun + increased damage to more targets make it easier to finish them off with my Harrier.

The radius is 6m, a 30% bonus to that never really felt like it meant much to me - arc radius is huge as is.

Damage boost, though, that's really nice. I can definitely see the difference on gold and platinum.

When in doubt, throw multiple grenades!

HiroChicken
Jun 3, 2007

Eevee of Tomorrow

KingShiro posted:

Do you have 3 respec cards, because the game will stop giving them to you if you have that many until you use some.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

Psion posted:

The radius is 6m, a 30% bonus to that never really felt like it meant much to me - arc radius is huge as is.
Note that the radius is actually 3m. Pretty much every AoE power besides the Biotic Bubble should read diameter in the description instead, or display halved values.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Synonamess Botch posted:

Yeah this is loving crazy. Lift grenades hit like a dump truck.Asari vanguard + Claymore = Asari commando. Some of the most fun i've had playing this game due in no small part to how good lift grenades are.

The problem with lift grenades is that they're terrible for dealing with Heavy's. They are really good for clearing out everything else though. If you take power synergy on biotic charge you can clear rooms really quick. You'll want to pick a weapon that's good at boss killing though because the grenades won't do that job.

VJeff posted:

I'd say ignore it unless you're planning on building around ammo powers. It's not bad for detonating combos if you've got a Falcon loading with cryo or distruptor ammo. Otherwise just skip it and max everything else. With a Reeger and Flamer specced for max damage against armor you can kill anything super quick. Equip incendiary ammo for even faster killing.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Synonamess Botch posted:

Lift Grenades do not hit like a dump truck, but they ARE garbage.

In my experience the biotic grenades are unreliable and underpowered. Plus, as an Asari Vanguard/Drell, mobility is paramount and being tethered to an ammo box is antithetical to this idea. Unless I'm using them wrong? How would you spec Lift/Cluster Grenades and in what situations would you use them? I would really appreciate a video or a link to a video proving their worth--I really would like to use them if they prove to be useful.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I go for extra shrapnel on rank 6 of Cluster grenades just so they'll hit something. The extra movement speed on a Drell means you should be able to beat other classes to ammo boxes. Unlike a Krogan or a Destroyer you should be running around the map anyway. Because of how unreliable they are I usually save them for bosses, or groups of enemies.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

SciFiDownBeat posted:

In my experience the biotic grenades are unreliable and underpowered. Plus, as an Asari Vanguard/Drell, mobility is paramount and being tethered to an ammo box is antithetical to this idea. Unless I'm using them wrong? How would you spec Lift/Cluster Grenades and in what situations would you use them? I would really appreciate a video or a link to a video proving their worth--I really would like to use them if they prove to be useful.
Are you using them to detonate biotic combos? Because that's the main trick, I've found. Reave + Cluster Grenade makes a hell of a mess.

subroc
Jun 5, 2004

Are we only talking about Vanguards? Because the Drell Adept Reave + Cluster combo is the single most devastating combo in the game. On Gold, a single Reave-Cluster combo will completely wipe out a spawn of mooks. Two will leave a Brute with only a sliver of health. As long as you know how to bounce them into your targets, they will delay and kill that pack of 4 Phantoms rushing towards you.

The Lift Grenade got a couple buffs a few months ago and does almost as much damage as a Homing Grenade, only it does it over a much larger area.

Both detonate Biotic Combos.

subroc fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Sep 16, 2012

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

SurreptitiousMuffin and subroc posted:

Biotic Combos

I just don't see the point to using a power for a limited amount of biotic combos (Reave + Cluster, Warp/Statis + Lift) when I can have an unlimited amount of biotic combos (Pull + Reave, Warp/Stasis + Throw).

I'm afraid I'd find myself in the situation, "Oh, I want to make a biotic combo but I'm out of 'nades, lemme just run over to this ammo box and--oh, it's depleted. Lemme run over to this one--nope, depleted. Then I guess I'll use a thermal clip consumable--no, I used them all already. drat. TEAM MEMBER DOWN"

Stick an Acolyte on a Drell and bam, biotic combo every 6 seconds. And Warp/Stasis + Throw is amazing on an Asari.

subroc
Jun 5, 2004

Warp + Throw is ONE biotic combo, dependent on the Warp cooldown. Area Reave + Cluster Grenade will set off multiple biotic combos in a small area, with overlapping damage from the multiple explosions. Reave cooldown is almost irrelevant. Also, there is no travel time, so there is no dodging it.

Grenade conservation is something that you have to look out for, yes, but it is not an issue if you know what you are doing. Drell run speed helps a lot with this. Between rounds I can hit 2-3 boxes in succession and refill 4 or 5 grenades. You also hit them every time you pass one, just to top off. Not an issue. Unless the poo poo hits the fan, I'll typically use around 1 ammo pack per gold match. More if I'm on a ammo-lite map like Giant, but I have never used all 5.

subroc fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Sep 16, 2012

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

SciFiDownBeat posted:

I just don't see the point to using a power for a limited amount of biotic combos (Reave + Cluster, Warp/Statis + Lift) when I can have an unlimited amount of biotic combos (Pull + Reave, Warp/Stasis + Throw).

"Oh, I want to make a biotic combo but I'm out of 'nades, lemme just run over to this ammo box and--oh, it's depleted. Lemme run over to this one--nope, depleted. Then I guess I'll use a thermal clip consumable--no, I used them all already. drat. TEAM MEMBER DOWN"

I always hear the Cerberus "drat!" in my head whenever this sort of thing happens.

The Blue Caboose
May 20, 2007

jeff gerstmann hates fun

Psion posted:

Damage boost, though, that's really nice. I can definitely see the difference on gold and platinum.

When in doubt, throw multiple grenades!

I think arc grenades with damage and shield damage will completely deshield any non boss mob on gold except a phantom, and the drain will quickly deplete what's left.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

SciFiDownBeat posted:

I'm afraid I'd find myself in the situation, "Oh, I want to make a biotic combo but I'm out of 'nades, lemme just run over to this ammo box and--oh, it's depleted. Lemme run over to this one--nope, depleted. Then I guess I'll use a thermal clip consumable--no, I used them all already. drat. TEAM MEMBER DOWN"
I really wish they'd equalise the grenade spawns on all of the maps.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

subroc posted:

Warp + Throw is ONE biotic combo, dependent on the Warp cooldown. Area Reave + Cluster Grenade will set off multiple biotic combos in a small area, with overlapping damage from the multiple explosions. Reave cooldown is almost irrelevant. Also, there is no travel time, so there is no dodging it.

Grenade conservation is something that you have to look out for, yes, but it is not an issue if you know what you are doing. Drell run speed helps a lot with this. Between rounds I can hit 2-3 boxes in succession and refill 4 or 5 grenades. You also hit them every time you pass one, just to top off. Not an issue. Unless the poo poo hits the fan, I'll typically use around 1 ammo pack per gold match. More if I'm on a ammo-lite map like Giant, but I have never used all 5.

You make a convincing argument. It's not ideal to have to zip around like a pinball hitting each of the ammo boxes, but it's necessary to gain the overall benefit of grenades. Plus that Area Reave + Cluster Grenade combo sounds very tempting. I'll have to consider this (and Biotic Charge power bonus + Lift grenade) for my respec.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I really wish they'd equalise the grenade spawns on all of the maps.

One of the redeeming qualities of FB Rio is the two- and three-grenade ammo boxes at the end of the map. I make it a point to pick grenade-using classes when on Rio for this reason. Of course, normalizing the grenade spawns across all maps would take away this advantage but I wouldn't complain.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Stick an Acolyte on a Drell and bam, biotic combo every 6 seconds. And Warp/Stasis + Throw is amazing on an Asari.
Uh ... you can do both. Pull + Reave, Reave + Cluster and Pull + Cluster are all viable combos. Knowing when to use your regular powers and when to use 'nades is the key to playing the class right.

subroc
Jun 5, 2004

Yeah it's not ideal to have to do laps to tag the ammo boxes, but it soon becomes second nature. With most maps having 2-grenade ammo boxes, you can top up very quickly. If there's only one enemy left and your teammates are wailing on an Atlas, let them have it and do your rounds to stock up.

Here's my build, but most people only have 3 points in Pull. http://narida.pytalhost.com/me3/classes/#02PFOFRO5@0PE@@G4I4@0@0

Grenade capacity gear is a must, because sometimes you need to go on a run of throwing 4 or 5 grenades before you have time to refill your stock.

I hope you enjoy it, because going to town with my Drell Adept is the most fun I have in ME3 multiplayer. Getting a good tight bunch of enemies with a quick Reave/Cluster combo is the most satisfying thing ever.

But yeah, your concerns about grenade use are valid. It's just something you learn and get a feel for. You can sort of tell the crappy Adepts by how they waste their grenades. They'll still outscore everyone else, but they'll just be horribly inefficient with their ammo.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Lift grenades specced fully for damage do 1687.5 damage before power synergy or gear bonuses. This is a good example video and is where I got the idea to use them.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
So does it sometimes take a while for the game to acknowledge Packs, or is there something you have to do to redeem them? Last time I bought a PSP I could swear it just automatically and immediately showed me what I got but I just bought another one and nothing happened.

e: nevermind, it kicked in after restarting the game.

TacticalUrbanHomo fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Sep 16, 2012

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
I've rediscovered the human engineer and all of its tech blasting glory. What's a good spec with combat drone for gold? Im thinking explode, short range, chain. I could see how drone with damage, damage, rockets could be fun for single target damage.

I might just make one of my HE single target drone/overload/incinerate and focus the other for aoe. Sound viable?

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Oh my god Vorcha soldier is amazing. I've got mine up to level 12 just running around meleeing everything I can. I'm regularly scoring 75+ kills without even using guns. I'm just playing bronze right now but I'll move up to silver after I max out Bloodlust for those health regen bonuses.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

HiroChicken posted:

Do you have 3 respec cards, because the game will stop giving them to you if you have that many until you use some.

That'd be it then. I need to respec my Vanguards anyway.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I couldn't understand why the Salarian Engineer was good when I first got him. I was only playing Silver games at the time so it felt like a waste. Then I found out about White/Geth/Gold and decoy spam :D It's been great, I can stand in front of a Geth Prime and basically tank it with Energy Drain while my Decoy gets to deal with a bunch of humping Hunters.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004
I've turned a Geth Engineer into a Sweep and Clear machine. The Harrier III and Assault Rifle Amp 3 combo push it over the top, IMHO.

https://narida.pytalhost.com/me3/classes/#23PQLOAB2@0KC@@@0@0@0@0

Play it the same as a grenade class in regards to cache hopping for best results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

KingShiro posted:

That'd be it then. I need to respec my Vanguards anyway.

I usually just promote whenever I want repecs of the same class, YMMV though.

TheDK posted:

I've rediscovered the human engineer and all of its tech blasting glory. What's a good spec with combat drone for gold? Im thinking explode, short range, chain. I could see how drone with damage, damage, rockets could be fun for single target damage.

I might just make one of my HE single target drone/overload/incinerate and focus the other for aoe. Sound viable?

I like to either go damage/damage/rockets or just take exploding and leave drone at 4. With exploding you use your drone for a quick distraction and splash damage. With the rockets you use it more like a turret until you need the distraction. Try to set it up in open spaces when you can and let it do it's thing until you need a distraction. Then set it up in the open again when you get the chance.

I prefer the rockets personally but the exploding drone at 4 frees up an extra 11 points for your fitness and your passive which is nice. With either spec you'll want overload at 6. I highly recommend chain/neural shock/shield damage. Go with damage/burning/armor damage on incinerate. Follow up an overload with an incinerate for a tech burst. If you have a Talon equip it with a scope and piercing and load either cryo for crowd control or disruptor ammo for even more tech bursts.

• Locked thread