Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Yeah that. I was trying to put my finger on what it was I like about this stuff, that sums it up nicely.
I mean, I'm usually not that keen on straight up black metal, but it does occasionally hit the spot. Plus I really like when it's used as a sort of flavouring.
So I'm gonna heck out Nemesis Divina and Volcano. Thanks for the advice, guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

QPZIL posted:

Nemesis Divina and then don't go back.

Actually that's not true the other stuff is pretty good, just not AS good.

This is probably right. My problem is that Nemesis was the first thing I heard from them and everything else pales in comparison. They're probably good I just started at the top so I'm biased.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Morbid Florist posted:

This is probably right. My problem is that Nemesis was the first thing I heard from them and everything else pales in comparison. They're probably good I just started at the top so I'm biased.

Ditto. "Mother North" was really my first foray into black metal. I still say it's one of the best black metal songs.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

Zodijackylite posted:

Wintersun's 'Time I' has been delayed again, it's release is being pushed back once more.

http://blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=179413

So it begins

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Qu Appelle posted:

Apparently, Wintersun is now on tour. In the US. I want to go just for curiosity's sake.

Gonna have to drive forever but I'm gonna see this if it kills me

Strange Horizon
Sep 21, 2005

It is that black.
It is that black.
It is that black.
It is that black.

Nordick posted:

Yeah that. I was trying to put my finger on what it was I like about this stuff, that sums it up nicely.
I mean, I'm usually not that keen on straight up black metal, but it does occasionally hit the spot. Plus I really like when it's used as a sort of flavouring.
So I'm gonna heck out Nemesis Divina and Volcano. Thanks for the advice, guys.

I love 'blackened' [other stuff] too. You might like these:

Fuckin' DARKTHRONE :black101:
Kvelertak
Midnight
Omega
Bewitched
Toxic Holocaust

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Holy poo poo, Nekrogoblikon is fun to listen to. I'm seriously listening to a metal song about bears. It loving owns.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Morbid Florist posted:

You ever check out Dark Medieval Times? The production is poo poo, but it's great black metal.

Shadowthrone was okay.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Rion.exe posted:

Kvelertak I had heard before, and Darkthrone is obviously familiar as a name, but the rest were new to me. None of them are bad in the least, but Midnight and especially Bewitched are loving awesome and I will definitely look into them. So thanks a ton for the heads-up, it's much appreciated. :black101:

To contribute at least a little bit myself, here's some different slightly blackened stuff that's also really drat cool, and I haven't seen anyone here mention them: Djerv!

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

MrBling posted:

Any of you guys into the whole "rare, collectible" side of the business happen to know if the original Osmose digipak version of Necromantia's Scarlet Evil Witching Black is particularly rare? Reason I ask is that I came across an ebay auction asking $250 for it which seemed pretty excessive.

Only around 1000 copies were made of that version. Hell, if it were a choice of buying that digi or the atrocious new artwork, which would you pick? It's time to listen to Scarlet Witching Dreams as loud as possible!

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

fappenmeister posted:

Only around 1000 copies were made of that version. Hell, if it were a choice of buying that digi or the atrocious new artwork, which would you pick? It's time to listen to Scarlet Witching Dreams as loud as possible!

Yeah, but $250? I'm pretty sure i traded a couple of crappy cds for the one i have and i even got the original pressing ancient pride mcd as well.

I suppose I've just never thought of metal cds as being worth lots of money.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

MrBling posted:

Yeah, but $250? I'm pretty sure i traded a couple of crappy cds for the one i have and i even got the original pressing ancient pride mcd as well.

I suppose I've just never thought of metal cds as being worth lots of money.

Before a lot of reissues for the more 'cult' bands, people would pay ridiculous amounts for some albums. I'd try and sell a few Trouble and dISEMBOWELMENT releases I had duplicates of, to try and get my money back ($10), and they'd go for over $50 sometimes. Some cases where you'd see cds reach obscene figures, but you'd usually equate vinyl as the more valuable format though where people paid upwards of the hundreds.

Ancient Pride digi isn't that rare though is it?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

fappenmeister posted:

Before a lot of reissues for the more 'cult' bands, people would pay ridiculous amounts for some albums. I'd try and sell a few Trouble and dISEMBOWELMENT releases I had duplicates of, to try and get my money back ($10), and they'd go for over $50 sometimes. Some cases where you'd see cds reach obscene figures, but you'd usually equate vinyl as the more valuable format though where people paid upwards of the hundreds.

I dont think its rare but I dont think its a digipak either, I could be remembering wrong though.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Just got back from Kamelot, their new singer is surprisingly good. Don't miss them if you were worried about losing Roy Kahn. He fits in great, does the older stuff perfectly, and I couldn't be happier with him.

They didn't play anything off Poetry for the Poisoned, curiously.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Sep 15, 2012

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Hey! A new Revolting album!

It's not as good as their Razorback albums, but I'm enjoying it so far.

burzum karaoke fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Sep 15, 2012

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

aliencowboy posted:

Revolting rules.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Machinae Supremacy put up a song from their upcoming new album, and by god I loving love it. These guys haven't lost their sense of melody, and I adore the cheesy synth sound. Guddamn fun track, I can't wait to get the album.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life

Nordick posted:

Machinae Supremacy put up a song from their upcoming new album, and by god I loving love it. These guys haven't lost their sense of melody, and I adore the cheesy synth sound. Guddamn fun track, I can't wait to get the album.

I really wish this band had a different singer

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Rion.exe posted:

Fuckin' DARKTHRONE :black101:
Kvelertak
Midnight
Omega
Bewitched
Toxic Holocaust

These are great.

One of my favorites:

I - The Storm I Ride (Abbath's black n' roll thing)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7tMlG9Kg0k

edit:

Industrial posted:

I really wish this band had a different singer

Yeah the vocals get to me more than the cheesy synth.

meteor9
Nov 23, 2007

"That's why I put up with it."
I dunno, I realize that MaSu's vocalist tends to sound like he's out of a generic 90's radio rock band, but it hardly bugs me all that much.

It would sound kind of strange without him, really.

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

At the Heart of the Swarm

fappenmeister posted:

Before a lot of reissues for the more 'cult' bands, people would pay ridiculous amounts for some albums.

I sold my copy of the first Acid Witch cd on ebay for somewhere between 110-130 dollars a few months ago, that poo poo ain't even old.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Wyzt posted:

I sold my copy of the first Acid Witch cd on ebay for somewhere between 110-130 dollars a few months ago, that poo poo ain't even old.

They're not even particularly fantastic, although a decent enough band. That's crazy.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Nordick posted:

This song is fine but why did they take a step backwards on the production? A View From The End Of The World has the best production of anything they've done, but they've gone backwards on it. The guitars aren't as awfully fuzzy as they were on Overworld but it's still not a good sign :(

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

meteor9 posted:

I dunno, I realize that MaSu's vocalist tends to sound like he's out of a generic 90's radio rock band, but it hardly bugs me all that much.

It would sound kind of strange without him, really.
Agreed. Back when I discovered the band like 10 years ago or whatever, it did take me a while to get used to him, but by now he's just such an integral part of the band's sound to me I can't imagine their stuff without him.
Also, he's come a long drat way from back then, he sounds SO much better now. Not nearly as squeaky anymore.

Stoat posted:

This song is fine but why did they take a step backwards on the production? A View From The End Of The World has the best production of anything they've done, but they've gone backwards on it. The guitars aren't as awfully fuzzy as they were on Overworld but it's still not a good sign :(
Eh, the production sounds fine to me. Then again I'm not very picky about that stuff.

EDIT: Goddamnit I need to stop listening to this drat song before I totally wear it out before the album's even out.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

fappenmeister posted:

I've been desperately trying to get a CD copy of Blasphemy's Fallen Angel of Doom. There are no rips online that work at the moment, but CDs can go for $250, even though it was reissued by Nuclear War Now not that long ago :( I want to hear this black/death classic!

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Wyzt posted:

drat, how much do you think a witchtanic LP would go for?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Haggins posted:

drat, how much do you think a witchtanic LP would go for?

Holy poo poo seriously.

I've got (I think) the first pressing, is it out of print now or something?

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

QPZIL posted:

Holy poo poo seriously.

I've got (I think) the first pressing, is it out of print now or something?

Yea. Im sure the vinyl would be up there in price.They arent on that label anymore...dunno if they ever plan on reprinting. I had the cd early on, debated but skipped buying the vinyl since i already bought the cd, wish i had bought it. I have all the other on stuff on vinyl. I saw the witch house 7" black sell for over 50. I wonder how much my purple would sell for.

EDIT: VVV Didn't see your post, but drat Broken Hope stole the show.

Wyzt fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Sep 18, 2012

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM
Anyone going to Obituary/Broken Hope in Chicago tonight? PM me lets have a beer

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

aliencowboy posted:

Fuckin A this is what I needed today. I love this band. I'm not a big drummer guy but theirs is one of the few I'd call as interesting as the guitars

Woah this is their 4th album? Christ I'm out of it, I thought they only had one...

Morbid Florist fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Sep 17, 2012

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Morbid Florist posted:

Fuckin A this is what I needed today. I love this band. I'm not a big drummer guy but theirs is one of the few I'd call as interesting as the guitars

Woah this is their 4th album? Christ I'm out of it, I thought they only had one...

Yeah, I had completely missed their 2011 album until Crypticus made a facebook post about the new album. "Prey To Katahdin" has been on constant rotation the past few days. I guess I need to watch Prophecy.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Another new track from Enslaved's RIITIIR: "Veilburner"

This is shaping up to be a sweet album so far.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

sticklefifer posted:

Another new track from Enslaved's RIITIIR: "Veilburner"

This is shaping up to be a sweet album so far.

I got an email notification over the weekend that the vinyl has been kicked back until mid-November.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

nomapple posted:

I've been desperately trying to get a CD copy of Blasphemy's Fallen Angel of Doom. There are no rips online that work at the moment, but CDs can go for $250, even though it was reissued by Nuclear War Now not that long ago :( I want to hear this black/death classic!

The lack of reissue is a matter of posturing rather than a lack of demand. It's not exactly hard to find though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DLQu6ZeOb8

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
More bands announced for MDF. HOLY poo poo! and HOLY poo poo.

BOLT THROWER (UK) - Headlining the Thursday show!
SLEEP
CARPATHIAN FOREST (Norway) - Exclusive US appearance!
REVENGE (Canada) - Exclusive US appearance!
ABIGAIL (Japan)
CRUCIAMENTUM (UK)
ANHEDONIST
SPEEDWOLF
AMBASSADOR GUN
ASTHMA CASTLE

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
God drat.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM
Is MDF outside?

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

Speaking of shows has anyone seen or is anyone going to see the Korpiklaani/Moonsorrow/Tyr show? I'm going to see the show at the Palladium in Worcester this weekend. I'm just wondering how its gonna be.

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

Defleshed posted:

Is MDF outside?

Well its no longer at sonar, so until they announce the new venue dont really know, but every year before its been Indoor on thursday, then friday, saturday, sunday its one indoor stage, 2 outdoor stages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM
I see. Well, I guess I'll wait to hear the venues. But man I hate baking in the sun/freezing my rear end off all day while wading through garbage to hear a 35 minute set from a band I like while the sound from the lovely band on the next stage over bleeds in. I am becoming like Grandpa Simpson

In other news, Obituary and Broken Hope killed it in Chicago last night. What a great show. I was surprised by the amount of people that turned up, Reggie's was loving packed!