Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Pesky Splinter posted:

I was going through some of FFXIV's soundtrack on youtube...and...well...I found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpftrjYCzpA

Kupo.

:suspense:

Wow. This is taken straight out of Willy Wonka. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Krad posted:

Wow. This is taken straight out of Willy Wonka. :psyduck:

Thought it had a bit more of a Nightmare Before Christmas vibe, myself.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Boten Anna posted:

Thought it had a bit more of a Nightmare Before Christmas vibe, myself.

Yeah, This is Halloween. It's just that the moogles remind me more of the Oompa Loompas. :downs:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

IGN'S Top 100 RPGS

I realize it's totally passe to say IGN is terrible but I figured FF fans might at least enjoy some of the choices.

Here's the Top 11 + some other choices I found interesting:

quote:

97 - Final Fantasy VIII
88 - Final Fantasy IX
64 - Final Fantasy X
61 - Chrono Cross
58 - Tactics Ogre: Let US Cling Together
47 - Xenogears
42 - Lunar: Silver Star Story
41 - Xenoblade Chronicles
21 - Super Mario RPG
17 - EarthBound
14 - Final Fantasy Tactics

11 - Final Fantasy VII
10 - Fallout 3
9 - Mass Effect 1
8 - World of Warcraft
7 - The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
6 - Diablo 2
5 - Final Fantasy IV
4 - Pokemon Red/Blue
3 - Baldur's Gate 2
2 - Chrono Trigger
1 - Final Fantasy VI

I don't go in for list bashing anymore. I am just glad a couple Xeno titles made it relatively high on the list.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

quote:

4 - Pokemon Red/Blue

What? That game is an unpolished, glitch-ridden mess.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
You say that like it's a bad thing.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Pureauthor posted:

So are FF1, 2, 3, and look where they are now. :smugface:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Pureauthor posted:

Whereas Final Fantasy VI... isn't?

Being glitchy and being bad are not always the same thing.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The most surprising thing about that list is how fine I am with the Top 10.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
The Missingno glitch in Red/Blue is absolutely a part of that game for me and I was disappointed that they didn't leave it in for the updated GBA versions. Also poo poo like being able to glitch your way into catching Mew, how is that not brilliant

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Dragonatrix posted:

Whereas Final Fantasy VI... isn't?

Being glitchy and being bad are not always the same thing.

It's actually incredible how badly glitched FF6 is, but it's so easy that few people actually noticed.

Seriously, it's probably one of the easiest FFs in the entire series, especially as half the bugs benefit the player.

Always thought it was a shame there were no real superbosses with FF6. Yes, yes, Kaiser and all, but still.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Haha Mass Effect 1 in a top 10 best rpgs ever list haha.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Artix74 posted:

Is that a Black Mage Chocobo? :psyduck:

Well, they have been known to cast Meteor.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Mister Roboto posted:

It's actually incredible how badly glitched FF6 is, but it's so easy that few people actually noticed.

Seriously, it's probably one of the easiest FFs in the entire series, especially as half the bugs benefit the player.

Always thought it was a shame there were no real superbosses with FF6. Yes, yes, Kaiser and all, but still.

I'm not really sure you can gauge "Easiest FF" since every one I've played has been easy as sin.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Mister Roboto posted:

Killing Chupon in the Colliseum. Ok, not actually THAT hard.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Himuro posted:

This, but about Final Fantasy VIII.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Cardboard Fox posted:

This, but about Final Fantasy VIII.

Final Fantasy VIII is number 97!

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

Himuro posted:

Final Fantasy VIII is number 97!

To that end, you said "top 10 best rpgs ever list" when the list is 100...

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Hahaha, look at the guy who can't read a simple list!

Oh, that's me....

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Pureauthor posted:

Glitching those games without trying is pretty difficult. I don't think I ever ran into any bugs at all in the original R/B.

Pretty surprised that a mainstream gaming website ranks 6 above 7. Even more surprised that 4 is there, but when Skyrim is in the top 10 I guess it's just pandering.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

MykonosFan posted:

To that end, you said "top 10 best rpgs ever list" when the list is 100...

I meant the top 10 of a list of 100. I mean, obviously.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

THE PWNER posted:

Glitching those games without trying is pretty difficult. I don't think I ever ran into any bugs at all in the original R/B.

You may not have noticed them, but you almost certainly encountered them. Such as Focus Energy either doing nothing if the user was faster than its opponent, or reducing your chance of a critical hit if the user was slower.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Red and Blue have a massive number of bugs, but they're not something most people would seriously notice as a kid, beyond stuff like Missingno, and a lot of the current batch of Pokemon fans began as kids. It's easy to overlook that they were loving completely ridiculously awfully busted because they did what people wanted (collect the pokemans) well enough. Hell, it had a lot of awful design decisions too. (Ghost-types being a big one here.)

FF6 is somewhat like that in that a lot of the bugs didn't get in the way of stuff that people liked about the game or were so invisible that you didn't notice them. Hell, people still don't know that FFVI and FFVII have basic stats which literally don't work. It doesn't matter because the games are so easy anyway.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

NikkolasKing posted:

IGN'S Top 100 RPGS

I realize it's totally passe to say IGN is terrible but I figured FF fans might at least enjoy some of the choices.

Here's the Top 11 + some other choices I found interesting:

I don't go in for list bashing anymore. I am just glad a couple Xeno titles made it relatively high on the list.

FF6 is #1, right where it belongs. :smugdog:

Xenoblade should be ranked better than 41 though. It's the best jRPG to come out for a long time.

ImpAtom posted:

It's easy to overlook that they were loving completely ridiculously awfully busted because they did what people wanted (collect the pokemans) well enough. Hell, it had a lot of awful design decisions too. (Ghost-types being a big one here.)

I spent a bunch of time getting a Gengar trained up as a counter to my friend's alakazam only to find out psychic pokemon were faster and ghosts were weak to psychic attacks. You lied to me seizure-causing cartoon. :argh:

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Momomo posted:

I'm not really sure you can gauge "Easiest FF" since every one I've played has been easy as sin.

Speaking of sin, I bet you died a few times when fighting it. FFX definitely had some tough parts.

And FF12 was definitely quite hard at times, given its open-world monsters and bosses that changed strategies mid-battle (same with 13).

In fact the PS2 era is when they really tried to shake things up for the battle engines, before that it was really just paint by numbers. FF4-9 pretty much have the same battles and difficulty, though FF7 spikes up ridiculously at times and 8 is a madhouse.

Though I will say 5 is probably the hardest of the SNES era since if you have the wrong jobs, you WILL die.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

I spent a bunch of time getting a Gengar trained up as a counter to my friend's alakazam only to find out psychic pokemon were faster and ghosts were weak to psychic attacks. You lied to me seizure-causing cartoon. :argh:

It's actually because all 3 ghosts in Gen I are part Poison, which is weak to Psychic for... no good reason, I guess. And there are no Ghost moves that do non-fixed damage. It's part of why Psychics in Gen I are so powerful, since their other counter is Bug types, which were useless back then.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

FF9 battle mechanics people:

Was this the FF where Haste was useless? I'm not sure but I gave Zidane Auto-Haste and sure his bar fills faster but everyone's bar stays full for so long before they act that it might as well not matter. It's a lot of ability stones too.

Also I just stole Holy Lance from Ark and can't wait until I finish the next dungeon and can use Freya again. I should have left her in Desert Palace, the lance is stronger than any weapon at that point and you can equip Holy boosting equipment for her in most slots by that point, it should be really strong and would be way better than my currently 4 mage party.

Edit: Not to mention it's pretty easy to get her Dragon Crest to do 9999 as soon as I get an airship

Auto-Haste works but you have to game the system to use it. FF9's got this problem where all the attack animations are way too long and so at the end of the game when speeds are the highest, your attacks get more and more backed up, because not only do turns take less time, but attacks are more and more ornate. What you have to do to make Auto-Haste work like it's supposed to is never put in a command while another animation is playing. The ATB bars stop when you are selecting a target, and no other time, so you select Fight or whatever, then waiting for all the lensflares and stuff from the boss' attack to finish before you hit X again.

It's not very good design but it's the only way to keep the game's combat from getting really weird at the end.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Mister Roboto posted:

Speaking of sin, I bet you died a few times when fighting it. FFX definitely had some tough parts.

What do you mean by sin? Jecht? Didn't have much trouble with him at all. As far as tough parts, this is true, but I would not call the game hard.

Only played about 10-15 hours of 12, never had any problem with it. Have also not played V.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Momomo posted:

What do you mean by sin? Jecht? Didn't have much trouble with him at all. As far as tough parts, this is true, but I would not call the game hard.

Only played about 10-15 hours of 12, never had any problem with it. Have also not played V.

Get on both of those, they're both the best of the series for what they specifically do.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I'm not sure which FF I'd consider easiest. FFVIII probably because I was casually defeating the bosses while I was purposefully limiting my junctions.

The hardest off the top of my head is probably FFII. I played the Dawn of Souls version first and all I remember is Ultima Tower being a total bitch.

And then loving Ultima wasn't even worth anything. I spent a long time grinding it up just because I was so pissed off and wanted to justify all the effort I went through to get it.

FF2 wasn't that hard on the whole but it's the only FF in recent memory that I remember giving me any trouble.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FFVIII is by far the easiest with FFVI in a close second. FFVI requires a bare minimum of effort to break while FFVIII requires more effort not to break.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

I've not played FFVIII in forever, so I can't really comment on its difficulty, but aside from that, I'd personally say VI is the easiest of the games, closely followed by either VII or V (although V does have a couple of tricky moments, Archeoaevis and Neo Exdeath coming to mind.)

Hardest is a bit more difficult to come up with, though. FFI had some ridiculous enemy setups, and FFIII had stuff like Garuda and the Crystal Tower, but it's a lot closer.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

ImpAtom posted:

FFVIII is by far the easiest with FFVI in a close second. FFVI requires a bare minimum of effort to break while FFVIII requires more effort not to break.

Debateable. If you don't figure out the draw/level system, you'll find the difficulty exponentially rising. You'd have to either learn the engine fast or use some better tactics when you meet the tougher bosses where the usual brute force won't work.

Mister Roboto fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Oct 23, 2014

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

NikkolasKing posted:

And then loving Ultima wasn't even worth anything. I spent a long time grinding it up just because I was so pissed off and wanted to justify all the effort I went through to get it.

Of course it was useless, its real level is all your weapon and magic levels combined, not its own. You took it to, what, 16 and it was only a little stronger than Holy? Well, guess what :v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mister Roboto posted:

Debateable. If you don't figure out the draw/level system, you'll find the difficulty exponentially rising. You'd have to either learn the engine fast or use some better tactics when you meet the tougher bosses where the usual brute force won't work.

Even if you don't figure out the draw mechanics at all, the limit break system in FF8 is ridiculous and breaks the game entirely. You can spam limit breaks every round with little effort. FF8's basic mechanics are so fundimentally broken that it doesn't really matter what you do. Unless you ignore everything, you're going to smash it into pieces.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Sep 16, 2012

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

ImpAtom posted:

Debating difficulty and breakability are two different things, especially since VII and IX are both easier than VIII.

ImpAtom posted:

Even if you don't figure out the draw mechanics at all, the limit break system in FF8 is ridiculous and breaks the game entirely. You can spam limit breaks every round with little effort. FF8's basic mechanics are so fundimentally broken that it doesn't really matter what you do. Unless you ignore everything, you're going to smash it into pieces.

Not if you're high level, don't understand the junction system well, and near the end of the game. Ultimecia was certainly a run for my money when I first played it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Himuro posted:

Debating difficulty and breakability are two different things, especially since VII and IX are both easier than VIII.

What? :psyduck:

Not in a million years, unless you never actually bother to do anything in FF8 except spam attack 24/7 while actually putting effort into FF9 and 7. Neither of those games are hard but at bare minimum neither has the broken-as-gently caress limit break system of FF8.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Himuro posted:

The problem is that the only reason they're "easier" is because its equipment system is very direct. FF8's equipment system is very roundabout, and instead of Armor, they call it VIT-J and SPR-J, instead of Weapons, they call it STR-J and MAG-J, and instead of accessories, you have SPD, HP, LUK, HIT, Stat-Def, and Stat-Atk-J.

They're exactly the same difficulty, it's just that due to really poor wording, it's obtusely difficult to equip armor in FF8.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Himuro posted:

I wouldn't even put Mass Effect 1 in a top 10 best Mass Effect games list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

ImpAtom posted:

What? :psyduck:

Not in a million years, unless you never actually bother to do anything in FF8 except spam attack 24/7 while actually putting effort into FF9 and 7. Neither of those games are hard but at bare minimum neither has the broken-as-gently caress limit break system of FF8.

I remember playing FFIX when it first came out and finding it way easier than VIII. I was stuck on VIII a lot because I wasn't used to the junction system and had to start over when I got to military base because of the tank boss fight. VII at least has the occasional Jenova fight, IX only has Ozma. You have to remember there was a time when people didn't fully understand the junction system. The first run of FFVIII, and figuring out all of its intricacies was a far more of a challenge than anything in VII or IX except for the optional bosses.