Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I just remember when I realized limit breaks could be gained by pressing circle. That's all I had to do to win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
When you're level 100 limit breaks didn't help much when you were under stocked in powerful magic because the enemies had so much more hp and defense.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Himuro posted:

I remember playing FFIX when it first came out and finding it way easier than VIII. I was stuck on VIII a lot because I wasn't used to the junction system and had to start over when I got to military base because of the tank boss fight. VII at least has the occasional Jenova fight, IX only has Ozma. You have to remember there was a time when people didn't fully understand the junction system. The first run of FFVIII, and figuring out all of its intricacies was a far more of a challenge than anything in VII or IX except for the optional bosses.

FFIX is more straightforward but that's about all it has going for it. Not using the junction system doesn't mean the game is harder, it means you're handicapping yourself.

I do remember a time when FFVIII first came out. I was doing insane damage without effort really early on because it took like five minutes of fiddling with junctions to realize "holy poo poo, this makes me into a tiny god."

Himuro posted:

When you're level 100 limit breaks didn't help much when you were under stocked in powerful magic because the enemies had so much more hp and defense.

"Final Fantasy 8 is harder as long as you grind to max level and don't equip junctions" is probably true but not really a good baseline for the game's difficulty. As I said in the original post, it takes more effort to not break the game (i.e: grind to level 100 without understanding the mechanics) than it does to break it.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

ImpAtom posted:

FFIX is more straightforward but that's about all it has going for it. Not using the junction system doesn't mean the game is harder, it means you're handicapping yourself.

I do remember a time when FFVIII first came out. I was doing insane damage without effort really early on because it took like five minutes of fiddling with junctions to realize "holy poo poo, this makes me into a tiny god."

Guess we had different experiences then. I didn't know how to get really good magic. The best magic was found on island of heaven and hell, and that poo poo took forever to stock up, plus you had to fight Grendels and Red Dragons which could one shot me if I didn't have the right junctions.

When your first rpg was Final Fantasy VII, and you get used to the idea that more levels = more powerful, going from that to FFVIII throws everything off, man.

Also, I said nothing of "don't use junctions". Not understanding junction system doesn't mean you don't use junctions at all, it means you don't use GOOD junctions because you think levels will make up for it anyways.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Mister Roboto posted:

Get on both of those, they're both the best of the series for what they specifically do.

I figured why the hell not and tried out V. I'm only about 20 minutes into the game, but I'm already liking it more than VI.

"Want to go with us on a journey?"
"Nah I'm good"

"Oh no we just saw a pirate ship!"
"Steal that poo poo"
*two minutes later*
"Well that was a dumb idea"

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
A better definition of "easy" would be: Can a starting character solo the entire game using the exact same attack?

I did an Edgar run as a 7 year old for fun, and...yep, you can pretty much cursor-memory-tools-autocrossbow/flash and rubberband the A button.

If he gets first strike, every battle in the WOB goes his way, barring a few bosses who are faster. Gets slightly harder in WoR as the insta-death attacks are used more often, but it's still really easy to do with a few retries.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

Also, from what I remember of Dissidia, they hate each other. ExDeath thinks her concept of the void is wrong or something, which is pretty stupid as she lives there and therefore would know better. She doesn't give a poo poo about anything and just wants everything destroyed. It's the perfect odd couple!

Incidentally, the differences in how they view their respective Voids shows up in their EX Bursts.

Since Cloud of Darkness's Void is an overwhelming presence, her EX Burst is executed by charging up a meter to 120% to fire a beam of energy that wipes out everything in its path.

Since Exdeath's Void is an all-consuming emptiness, his EX Burst is executed by letting the meter drain to 0% to swallow up his opponent and everything else in the battle, including the BGM.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mister Roboto posted:

A better definition of "easy" would be: Can a starting character solo the entire game using the exact same attack?

So that brings us back to... pretty much every FF after V. Even FFX basically boils down to "Does Yuna have Summon? If so, spam Summon-Overdrive. 90% of victory get."

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Nother gem of a track in FF9 I just found appreciation for. It plays a lot the first time you interact with Brahnes airship, but I just really noticed it when Steiner and Beatrix meet at night at the castle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRpGoFISvok

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

ImpAtom posted:

So that brings us back to... pretty much every FF after V. Even FFX basically boils down to "Does Yuna have Summon? If so, spam Summon-Overdrive. 90% of victory get."

You can't do this in FFXII and XIII because bosses and stronger enemies enemies will cast spells that make it impossible to damage them and the only way to damage them again is to debuff their spells.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Himuro posted:

You can't do this in FFXII and XIII because bosses and stronger enemies enemies will cast spells that make it impossible to damage them and the only way to damage them again is to debuff their spells.

In FFXII my experience was "Gambit system renders the need for me to touch the controller in 90% of events unnecessary."

I actually liked FFXIII's combat system but a lot of people say they got through just by spamming auto-attack and never changing paradigms. I donno how but they did, or at least claim they did considering all the "the game plays itself" arguments.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

ImpAtom posted:

I'm pretty sure it's outright impossible to solo-character Dimensions without serious over-preparation, but it's far from "difficult."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shaezerus posted:

I'm pretty sure it's outright impossible to solo-character Dimensions without serious over-preparation, but it's far from "difficult."

I haven't played Dimensions. v:shobon:v I also wasn't really talking about the spinoffs. I don't see anyone soloing 4 Heroes of Light either.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Since I'm on an FF spree, how do I play FFX and FF12? Do I have to get a PS2? I have the newer version of PS3...

I think I emulated 12 once on my PC and it was kinda lovely, I don't really like the emulated experience unless its a perfect translation of the actual console game.

Maybe after I finish 9, I'll go backwards and start with 6 and work my way back as far as I can tolerate (I loved 6 and 5, liked 4 a lot, 3-2-1... eeeeehhh dicey).

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

ImpAtom posted:

I haven't played Dimensions. v:shobon:v I also wasn't really talking about the spinoffs. I don't see anyone soloing 4 Heroes of Light either.

Technically you solo about half of 4 Heroes anyway because the party keeps loving splitting god dammit just stay together for five minutes gently caress :argh:

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

ImpAtom posted:

In FFXII my experience was "Gambit system renders the need for me to touch the controller in 90% of events unnecessary."

I actually liked FFXIII's combat system but a lot of people say they got through just by spamming auto-attack and never changing paradigms. I donno how but they did.

I only use gambits for stuff like healing that the computer can do better (and faster) than I can, and tedious stuff I'm going to cast anyways like protect. I think the game is all the better for it.

However, what I say is pretty true. Both FFXII and XIII stress emphasis on debuffing an enemies enchants and buffing your own party, particularly XIII. I mean, there's one part in chapter 8 where (or was it 9?) where you use sentinel shield to block incoming damage or suffer a game over.

Anyone who says they could beat FFXIII using auto-attack throughout the entire game is running on hyperbole juice and I want to know where they acquired it.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I like doing solo challenges. They require much less grinding for items or whatever than other challenges, plus they usually aren't as reliant on luck for the more bullshit battles. Hell, there are times where the game just stops being challenging and becomes even easier, only for you to hit a brick wall again. Some bosses become much more difficult, some become a joke because you have the EXP of four/five people.

Now if only I could find the will to finish them.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
It's impossible.

Mister Roboto fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Oct 23, 2014

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

Himuro posted:

I only use gambits for stuff like healing that the computer can do better (and faster) than I can, and tedious stuff I'm going to cast anyways like protect. I think the game is all the better for it.

However, what I say is pretty true. Both FFXII and XIII stress emphasis on debuffing an enemies enchants and buffing your own party, particularly XIII. I mean, there's one part in chapter 8 where (or was it 9?) where you use sentinel shield to block incoming damage or suffer a game over.

Anyone who says they could beat FFXIII using auto-attack throughout the entire game is running on hyperbole juice and I want to know where they acquired it.

I was pretty thrilled with my bulletproof "steal from every enemy in the group" gambit, even if it was the most ugly way of doing it.

Did anyone come up with a more elegant way to do it than having Vaan steal from enemies with 100% health and having someone right behind attack them so he continued to the next target until they were all damaged?

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Loving Life Partner posted:

I was pretty thrilled with my bulletproof "steal from every enemy in the group" gambit, even if it was the most ugly way of doing it.

Did anyone come up with a more elegant way to do it than having Vaan steal from enemies with 100% health and having someone right behind attack them so he continued to the next target until they were all damaged?

It takes a lot to steal in XII, I think. I still haven't worked it out but it takes a lot more effort than other FF's.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

The White Dragon posted:

Of course it was useless, its real level is all your weapon and magic levels combined, not its own. You took it to, what, 16 and it was only a little stronger than Holy? Well, guess what :v:

At least it worked properly in the DoS version, even if that version fixed the cancel-for-exp bug tat let you supertrain everything right off the bat.

I still need to go back and do a get-holy-early-on run of FF2 some day. Getting money to buy the spell will probably be more tedious than save-scumming my way to/from Mysidia.

Endorph posted:

I wouldn't even put Mass Effect 1 in a top 10 best Mass Effect games list.

Mass Effect is there because if they didn't list some (current) Bioware games EA would probably be assholes to them for it. then again they could've just put in Dragon Age if that was the case but they didn't, maybe it's because DA2 was terrible whereas ME2 was good enough to see a ME3 get made. :v:

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Sep 16, 2012

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mister Roboto posted:

Yuna gets her summons killed instantly by multiple bosses, dropping her usefulness fast. They prepared for that kind of spamming. Every Seymour fight, for example.

And you can't do it with FF7, no. You can't spam Cloud's limit breaks alone and expect to win, it's been tried. You lose against the Turks.

FF8 doesn't count because you'd have to know the draw/level system's flaws and the quirkiness of the limit breaks, which sort of defeats the purpose of "easy" since that requires knowledge of the game's inner workings.

FF9, no real opinion. Doubtful Zidane can solo the game with just his single-strike physical attack, though.

So, no, not every FF after V. Yes, of course there's people who HAVE pulled off solo level 1 runs, but they use ridiculous tricks and incredibly in-depth game knowledge. My FF6 example is literally pushing A-A-A-A-A-A-A-A using the initial weapon/ability and it worked.

Yuna's summons are not kiled instantly, and in fact many people tore through the game just using that.

FF8 does not require "in-depth knowledge." It requires looking at the basic mechanics. Stuff like "get Lionheart on Disc 1" requires in-depth knowledge. "Put good spell into good slot" requires nothing at all.

Multiple characters in FF9 can do cartoonish damage with minimal effort. If you're arguing "Well, Zidane can't solo the game just by spamming attack" in the same sentence as "but Edgar can solo the game using Tools," you're not really being equal.

Almost every modern numbered FF game is ridiculously loving easy. That's kind of the point of Final Fantasy. It's a popcorn RPG that anyone can get through despite paying no attention to the game mechanics.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Since I'm on an FF spree, how do I play FFX and FF12? Do I have to get a PS2? I have the newer version of PS3...

I think I emulated 12 once on my PC and it was kinda lovely, I don't really like the emulated experience unless its a perfect translation of the actual console game.

Maybe after I finish 9, I'll go backwards and start with 6 and work my way back as far as I can tolerate (I loved 6 and 5, liked 4 a lot, 3-2-1... eeeeehhh dicey).

Good luck with 321 these days. At least play the psp/ds remakes to save your sanity.

FFX and 12 are compatible with the ps3, aren't they?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Himuro posted:

The only hard fight I had was Etna at the end of disc 1 because I didn't draw carbunkle so I didn't just walk over them. I hardly junctioned anything but it was still fine.

Then a friend came over, saw my characters and said "oh you haven't junctioned your spells? Here you should do this *junctions curaga, ultima, etc* there you go."

Suddenly Squall went from something like 1300 to 6500hp while taking a fraction of the damage and hitting 10x harder. The game lost what little fun there was at that point.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

ImpAtom posted:

Yuna's summons are not kiled instantly

A few bosses have Banish, which does exactly that. So, yeah, they are.

Not that it matters, since some people have gone through the entire game as just Yuna without ever touching the Summon command for some bizarre reason.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dragonatrix posted:

A few bosses have Banish, which does exactly that. So, yeah, they are.

Not that it matters, since some people have gone through the entire game as just Yuna without ever touching the Summon command for some bizarre reason.

No, Banish is an attack which defeats them, but not before they get a chance to act. The common tactic is "go in with a full Overdrive, just have your Aeon use their one turn to Overdrive."

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

ImpAtom posted:

Yuna's summons are not kiled instantly, and in fact many people tore through the game just using that.

Sorry, you're wrong, the "Banish" attack kills Summons. Example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2HjF49svP0

Sure, they get off one attack, but that's not enough to win the battle.

Mister Roboto fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Oct 23, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mister Roboto posted:

Sorry, you're wrong, the "Banish" attack kills Summons instantly. Example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2HjF49svP0

"After one turn" is not "instantly."

Mister Roboto posted:

If you want to go through FF8 using one attack, you WILL need in-depth knowledge since Squall's attack won't be enough for multi-enemy battles. Meaning you'll have to pull off some trickery with limit breaks which requires, as said, in depth knowledge. You cannot button mash through battles in FF8.

Yes it will? I've gone through the game doing this so I have no idea what you're talking about. Why would you need more than Squall's attack when he's doing such ridiculous damage that it doesn't matter?

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

ImpAtom posted:

"After one turn" is not "instantly."

I already edited for clarity.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

I wonder if I would have found FFX harder if it didn't tell me how to beat every enemy with the info ability.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mister Roboto posted:

I already edited for clarity.

And you're still wrong. Again, one of the most common tactics people use is "fill up Overdrives, go in and have each Aeon use an Overdrive." It's not as easy as just spamming attack but it requires very little effort in general, especially since filling an Aeon's overdrive bar is so easy. It sure as hell isn't fun but that didn't stop people from using it.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Mister Roboto posted:

Good luck with 321 these days. At least play the psp/ds remakes to save your sanity.

If anything, FF3DS and its ports are probably more insane than the original. At the very least, they're more tedious.

Any 1/2 remake should be fine, though.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Are there any hacks/patches/etc for FFVI worth using in a new playthrough?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harlock posted:

Are there any hacks/patches/etc for FFVI worth using in a new playthrough?

It depends on the version. There's a few bugfix patches for FFVI which fix the evade bug and such, but those also exist in the GBA version.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

If you play the GBA version, scour the internet for a music fix patch. It will be worth it, trust me.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

And you're still wrong. Again, one of the most common tactics people use is "fill up Overdrives, go in and have each Aeon use an Overdrive." It's not as easy as just spamming attack but it requires very little effort in general, especially since filling an Aeon's overdrive bar is so easy. It sure as hell isn't fun but that didn't stop people from using it.

This is how I think most people I knew beat FFX because not a one of them understood the Sphere grid properly enough. Aeon Overdrive->Banish->Aeon Overdrive until the boss dies or is manageable.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Seriously how does anyone fail to grasp the leveling system of any Final Fantasy game except maybe 2?

Also whoever said they autoattacked their way through FFXIII is probably full of it since character growth was capped by story progression in that game so there was no real grinding and the boss encounters were tuned to where you would be at that point.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

3, I don't like 3. 2 is bearable but really arcane sometimes, and I don't just mean in mechanics: I'm pretty sure there are at least two points in the game where it outright doesn't tell you what you should be doing, but unlike other games that don't tell you what you have to do at that moment, you can literally traverse the entire world map looking for it.

I really, really enjoy 1. I don't know why, but I do. Go emulate the NES version with the Job Class Sprites patch, haha. Paladin Cecil Knight, Cat Ear Hood Krile White Wizard.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Sep 17, 2012

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Barudak posted:

This is how I think most people I knew beat FFX because not a one of them understood the Sphere grid properly enough. Aeon Overdrive->Banish->Aeon Overdrive until the boss dies or is manageable.

Count me in that camp. Even Yunalesca was easy that way, because you would just use the tactic on her final form(which was the hardest). With Amina and the Magus Sisters, I seriously think you can even kill Jecht by only using overdrive Aeons.

Going back to play it, the game is a lot more fun when you're not breaking it though. Doing a "no Aeon" run even makes the game a little difficult.

I really hope X HD comes out soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Dross posted:

Seriously how does anyone fail to grasp the leveling system of any Final Fantasy game except maybe 2?.

People are nuts, I knew a kid in middle school who bought FF7 and then got stuck on the mako reactor thing and the first boss and decided it was too tough.

If you've never played an RPG before you can't even process them or something