Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Rashomon posted:

I have a similar question to ask -- the domain https://www.(myname).com is currently owned by someone and has been sat on for several years with no site up except a picture of a kid holding a hockey trophy. I am a freelance professional and have been thinking about putting a portfolio online, and https://www.(myname).com would be good to have. I had it registered for a few years, maybe 2005-2007, but when I let it lapse apparently someone bought it (someone with the same name as me? my name is not particularly common). Not to take advantage of your generosity, but what sort of process might I go through to contact the people who are sitting on the domain? All I get through the general WHOIS stuff I find online is that it was registered through Domains By Proxy LLC through GoDaddy.com.

the email address in the whois should still be valid and is likely a forwarder to the actual registrant's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Personal, Reseller & VPS Hosting
30-day no risk Free Trial &
90-days Money Back Guarantee!

Milkie Galore posted:

the email address in the whois should still be valid and is likely a forwarder to the actual registrant's

This is correct, an email to the private address should send you a response and direct you to a website to submit your query. Chances are, if someone is sitting on the domain, they won't sell it for cheap. They also have no reason to sell it and can sit on it for eternity if they want.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

if it's nearing expiry, it might be worth not getting in touch and waiting to see if they let it expire

you may have to buy it via auction this way (because godaddy are poo poo) but it probably won't be any more expensive than what the current owner wants for it

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

Milkie Galore posted:

if it's nearing expiry, it might be worth not getting in touch and waiting to see if they let it expire

you may have to buy it via auction this way (because godaddy are poo poo) but it probably won't be any more expensive than what the current owner wants for it

most/all domain registrars pull this nonsense during the reclamation period, it's not just Go Daddy.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Comradephate posted:

most/all domain registrars pull this nonsense during the reclamation period, it's not just Go Daddy.

Godaddy is one of the worst offenders though, I haven't had this issue with gandi

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I'm using Google Apps free for my email and I see an option for DKIM. It seems like a pretty awesome idea. Is there any reason I wouldn't want to turn it on? How would I turn it on anyway? It says I need to add a DNS TXT record but I don't see in option in my host's control panel (lithium hosting), my site's cpanel, or my registrar (gandi).

e: vvv Hmm ok, must have totally missed that then. In this case, on which website should I be modifying? vvv

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Sep 18, 2012

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

What? What'd you say? Stop channeling? I didn't he-

Boris Galerkin posted:

I'm using Google Apps free for my email and I see an option for DKIM. It seems like a pretty awesome idea. Is there any reason I wouldn't want to turn it on? How would I turn it on anyway? It says I need to add a DNS TXT record but I don't see in option in my host's control panel (lithium hosting), my site's cpanel, or my registrar (gandi).

I use Gandi, and they do have an option for TXT records: http://wiki.gandi.net/en/dns/zone/txt-record

cPanel should also allow it: http://docs.cpanel.net/twiki/bin/view/11_30/CpanelDocs/AdvancedDnsEditor

And so should Lithium Hosting: http://manage.lithiumhosting.com/kb/servlet/KBServlet/faq471.html

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists

DarkLotus posted:

This is correct, an email to the private address should send you a response and direct you to a website to submit your query. Chances are, if someone is sitting on the domain, they won't sell it for cheap. They also have no reason to sell it and can sit on it for eternity if they want.

I tried emailing the address in the whois and got no response. (the email was just [domain.name]@domainsbyproxy.com) Am I out of luck?

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

Rashomon posted:

I tried emailing the address in the whois and got no response. (the email was just [domain.name]@domainsbyproxy.com) Am I out of luck?

Maybe, they should get your email forwarded to them by GoDaddy which is who DomainsByProxy really is.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I switched all of my websites to GitHub pages and cancelled my Linode account nearly a year ago, but I still get emails from time to time with $50 trial accounts. Would anybody here be interested in them? I did really like working with Linode, I just didn't want to pay for all the power I wasn't using.

beadgc
Jun 11, 2005
bass
Could someone recommend me a good host for registering a .se domain? I'm planning on hosting a wordpress blog on it so I don't need anything fancy.

Thanks in advance!

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

gandi do them for €16/year+vat

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists

DarkLotus posted:

Maybe, they should get your email forwarded to them by GoDaddy which is who DomainsByProxy really is.

Figured. Guess they just don't want to sell it or don't check that address much. Thanks!

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
Not sure if this is the best thread, but I have to share multiple files with clients. Usually lots of pictures, PDFs, and sometimes video files. Sometimes it's a lot of files, other times not so much.

Is there a preferred way of sharing files with clients? Being able to automatically zip the files in the folders for a client would be nice as an option.

I've been looking at dropbox, but I would like to have something I can still use my domain name with.

Right now I have about 35GB worth of files.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Why are some hosts in Europe, like Hetzner for instance, so much cheaper than in the US? They offer more bandwidth, more CPU/RAM/HD and at a pretty low price. Is power cheaper? Bandwidth cheaper over there?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Bob Morales posted:

Why are some hosts in Europe, like Hetzner for instance, so much cheaper than in the US? They offer more bandwidth, more CPU/RAM/HD and at a pretty low price. Is power cheaper? Bandwidth cheaper over there?

martin hetzner posted:

Automation is one of the largest reasons we can offer servers so cheaply. Most things we do/offer are very nicely automated, meaning very little manual work by us. However, we do still offer some customization for those clients who want that, but since this requires manual intervention by us not only when setting up the server but after it's been cancelled (to turn it back into a "normal" server) we charge an additional fee called the Flexi-Pack.
Also, not only do we fully design and build our own data centers, we own the ground we build them on. This leads to incredibly efficient and well thought out data centers.

Now to pricing. It is our aim to offer servers with an excellent price/performance ratio on the market. Achieving this aim as closely as possible requires a whole series of measures. First of all, we select our server components carefully - on the basis of four aspects; performance, price, power consumption and quality (robustness).
Next, we pay close attention to the energy efficiency of our data centers. Each kWh of electricity which we do not use enables us to offer our products at a lower cost. We have seen an average PUE of 1.12 in our current datacenter layout over the course of a year which has been certified by an external auditor (TUEV Sued).
A further point is that we do not try to cross subsidize products or services. Indeed, we try - if possible - to pass on the real costs arising for us in the same form.
If we consider the typical life cycle of a server, the highest costs arise from the moment when new hardware is purchased. Therefore, we charge a setup fee for all new purchases of servers. The depreciation of a server is by far the highest during its first month of operation.
Let´s move on now to quantity discounts. Each form of reduction in price given for servers means us having to set the basic price of the system high enough so that we do not lose any money on discounted systems. The moment we were to decide to grant discounts would also automatically mean that we would need to ask for higher basic prices. After all, we still need to make sufficient money on discounted systems to cover our costs.
These are strategic decisions which make the business process fast and uncomplicated and ultimately also very efficient. The disadvantage is - there are no discounts.

also yes european bandwidth is p much massively peered (all over, at least for western europe. largest IXs etc)

Eyecannon
Mar 13, 2003

you are what you excrete
Does anyone know of a software package which through a web interface will allow us to store papers and journal articles, which are stored in a database so they can be searched by Title/Author/Journal/etc? Right now, we are using a homemade ruby/mongrel/mysql setup, but we are looking to migrate to a new CMS and we want to switch out this "document server" as well to something which is more easily maintained. It's not a terrible homemade setup, but we are running into this issue where it is using Net::MySQL and that is outdated and doesn't work with MySQL > v5.0... I had to move our webservers the other day due to a hardware failure, and ended up having to go with MySQL v5.0 compiled from source. Any ideas would be appreciated!

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
I have a domain registered with GoDaddy that expired yesterday, so right now, naturally, it's displaying the whole "This Page is Pending Deletion" yadda yadda.

What was the registrar that provides free WHOIS Masking/Domain Privacy? And in order to switch to them will I have to renew with GoDaddy, and then initiate the transfer (since the domain is currently expired), or can I just do it all through the new registrar?

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

eightysixed posted:

I have a domain registered with GoDaddy that expired yesterday, so right now, naturally, it's displaying the whole "This Page is Pending Deletion" yadda yadda.

What was the registrar that provides free WHOIS Masking/Domain Privacy? And in order to switch to them will I have to renew with GoDaddy, and then initiate the transfer (since the domain is currently expired), or can I just do it all through the new registrar?

You can transfer while expired as long as it is right away. I think you have 30 days before the transfer will be blocked.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

and the registrar you're thinking of was probably gandi

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Thank you both :)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

This old post by the Wordpress.com crew sums up how I feel about our hosting situation at work:

barry.wordpress.com/2007/01/31/new-servers-for-wordpresscom/

quote:

Dedicated server providers seem to fall into 2 classes:

1) No-frills provider that offers server between $79 – $149/month. No phone support or advanced services. This would be fine, but they usually cannot provide the DB-class machines we need and do not provide Gigabit backend networks.

2) Full-service provider that offers servers beginning at $250/month and up. These providers are usually not the best fit for us because they justify their higher prices by saying they have superior support. We don’t really need “superior” support, just someone that can take care of hardware issues when needed. Seems like a waste to pay for something you are never going to use and don’t really need. Also, in my experience, the more expensive the hosting company, the more painful the sales process is. Sometimes I feel like I am buying a car….

We have 2 servers at Rackspace. 1 old rear end AMD Opteron running Windows and a 2-year old dual-Xeon with VMware (private cloud) - we have a DB and web server virtualized on it. They're loving expensive. Like 800 bucks a month or something for the one server and 400 the other.

Their support isn't that great. They're always loving stuff up and we really only have them so we don't have to restart a service or server at 3:00am. However, we do like their dashboards for performance metrics and bandwidth.

We really need to split our stack up in to load balancer -> 2-4 web servers -> DB/static assets. But of course if we added more servers they'd be managed and our hosting costs would double.

It's like we need a half or quarter rack somewhere on 100mbit (I think we use ~ 400gb/month) and then we could buy $10,000 in servers and it'd pay for itself in a year.

ichorclaw
Oct 31, 2010

by Fistgrrl

ichorclaw fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Apr 29, 2013

Gelob
Jun 9, 2006

ichorclaw posted:

Buy from resellers that use the tier 1 data centers and you can usually get what you want.

Off the top of my head:
http://www.limestonenetworks.com/

Hey! Thanks for the mention, but we aren't a reseller of any other provider :). We have our own space in the Databank facility (Dallas, TX) with our own network, bandwidth, and hardware.

We are unmanaged, but you'll find our support team goes above and beyond in most cases. We support our hardware 100%, if you think you have a hardware issue just ask us to replace it and we will do it no questions asked.

Gelob fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Sep 28, 2012

beadgc
Jun 11, 2005
bass
I'm going to register a swedish .se domain, but I'd like to use an american web hosting server that I've used a little bit before. Is this a dumb idea?

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

beadgc posted:

I'm going to register a swedish .se domain, but I'd like to use an american web hosting server that I've used a little bit before. Is this a dumb idea?

You can use american web hosting with any domain tld. It really makes no difference where your domain name is issued from as long as you can update your name servers or DNS to allow you to use your web hosting.

Fluue
Jan 2, 2008
I recently (as in, within the last 24 hours) switched hosts. I updated my domain nameservers, but when I got to https://www.sitename.com/cpanel, I'm still directed to my old host's CPanel. Is this just DNS servers lagging or did I mess up somewhere?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Fluue posted:

I recently (as in, within the last 24 hours) switched hosts. I updated my domain nameservers, but when I got to https://www.sitename.com/cpanel, I'm still directed to my old host's CPanel. Is this just DNS servers lagging or did I mess up somewhere?

You'll have to wait until your previous TTL expires.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Fluue posted:

You can add a line to your hosts file if you don't want to wait.
code:
a.b.c.d www.mywebsite.com
Where a.b.c.d is the IP of your server at the new host

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Sep 28, 2012

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

above post got screwed up by the forums

should look like

69.88.4.20 domain.com www.domain.com

dns.squish.net and intodns.com are pretty good for checking dns propagation/problems

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
I just noticed my host (bluehost) is offering a new service called Cloudflare http://www.cloudflare.com/

quote:

Sign up and make your website part of the CloudFlare community. Your site's web traffic will be routed through an intelligent global network optimized for the fastest content delivery possible.

CloudFlare automatically optimizes the delivery of your site's pages so your visitors experience the fastest page load times and best performance in addition to blocking threats and limiting abusive bots and crawlers from eating up your bandwidth and server resources. This means that CloudFlare-powered websites see a significant improvement in performance and a decrease in spam and other attacks.

The basic service is free, which makes me suspicious. Should I sign up for it? Does anyone know anything about this service?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

clockworkjoe posted:

I just noticed my host (bluehost) is offering a new service called Cloudflare http://www.cloudflare.com/

The basic service is free, which makes me suspicious. Should I sign up for it? Does anyone know anything about this service?

It's common, and used sometimes, but you will / can be dropped at any time, have your site forwarded, by default ( don't know if this is removed yet, but it was active by default when I tried it out) force-rewrite all links like to amazon and any other shopping site to some kind of affiliate program

Lukano
Apr 28, 2003

edit - derp ignore me I'm retarded.

Lukano fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Oct 5, 2012

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I'm surprised this hasn't been posted yet, but there is an offer from EDIS for free r.pi colocation in Austria. It might be very interesting to some of you.

https://manage.edis.at/whmcs/cart.php?gid=6

EDIS posted:

Raspberry Pi Colocation
FREE!
1 IPv4
112 IPv6
100Gb Traffic p.m.
FREE reboots
Shipping back is 5EUR for EU and 10EUR global

Please supply
USB power cable (A plug -> PI)
USB stick with your OS on it - preconfigured with the IP we gave you

edit: meant to post this in the r.pi thread... but I guess it fits here too.

edit2: and... sold out. probably temporarily.

sleepy gary fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Oct 5, 2012

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just bought a Linode 512 from work to put our company website on (Joomla) to get it off our production web server.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Biowarfare posted:

It's common, and used sometimes, but you will / can be dropped at any time, have your site forwarded, by default ( don't know if this is removed yet, but it was active by default when I tried it out) force-rewrite all links like to amazon and any other shopping site to some kind of affiliate program

I'm not sure what would lead them to terminate your account (other than buying a paid plan with a stolen cc) - they make a big deal of being a reverse proxy rather than a host, and forwarding abuse complaints rather than handling them directly. Did you sign up directly or go via a partner company?

The amazon thing is worrying - VigLink is disabled by default and actually injects your own affiliate ID rather than CF's, so I'm not sure what went on there.

I've been using CF for about 12 months now and am pretty happy with it, specifically the fact it obscures my server's actual IP and wards off spurious legal threats. It seems to do a decent job of easing the burden of serving static content, though I haven't had any massive traffic spikes in the past year to test it on.

oh and the way it can inject google analytics code into every page is cool

Lukano posted:

... Now, unless you have three-or-four figures of disposable income each month to throw at a CDN for no real reason, just ignore the ad.

Been ddos'd enough that you can prove you've lost income recently? No? Welp, CloudFlare's not for you then.

I don't understand this post, can you explain what you mean please? Are you thinking of CloudFront?

Rufus Ping fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Oct 5, 2012

Lukano
Apr 28, 2003

Er yeah, my bad, I was confusing the two.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Milkie Galore posted:

I'm not sure what would lead them to terminate your account (other than buying a paid plan with a stolen cc) - they make a big deal of being a reverse proxy rather than a host, and forwarding abuse complaints rather than handling them directly. Did you sign up directly or go via a partner company?

Viglink is disabled by default now? Good to know, at least.

With large floods (happened to me with syn), Cloudflare will automatically swap out the A/AAAA records with your direct server IP so they stop 'taking the hit' if you're not on business/enterprise plans/whatever. They will expose it more or less without warning in several circumstances..

If you know what you're doing with regard to hosting and server setup, you may or may not have more downtime as it introduces additional points of failure -- routing issues and etc are entirely out of your control. And you're sharing infrastructure with others that may or may not be attack magnets too.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Biowarfare posted:

With large floods (happened to me with syn), Cloudflare will automatically swap out the A/AAAA records with your direct server IP so they stop 'taking the hit' if you're not on business/enterprise plans/whatever.

haha what the hell, this is pretty bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Milkie Galore posted:

haha what the hell, this is pretty bad
This also happens randomly, even when you specifically aren't being hit! To ensure there is no performance degradation to your website, we are temporarily routing all traffic directly to your server. Once peak performance is back, we will automatically re-enable CloudFlare.