Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
The word "firepower" is repeatedly misused in the game's various weapon descriptions and it is bugging the poo poo out of me. :spergin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Lagomorphic posted:

I usually just promote whenever I want repecs of the same class, YMMV though.

I like to either go damage/damage/rockets or just take exploding and leave drone at 4. With exploding you use your drone for a quick distraction and splash damage. With the rockets you use it more like a turret until you need the distraction. Try to set it up in open spaces when you can and let it do it's thing until you need a distraction. Then set it up in the open again when you get the chance.

I prefer the rockets personally but the exploding drone at 4 frees up an extra 11 points for your fitness and your passive which is nice. With either spec you'll want overload at 6. I highly recommend chain/neural shock/shield damage. Go with damage/burning/armor damage on incinerate. Follow up an overload with an incinerate for a tech burst. If you have a Talon equip it with a scope and piercing and load either cryo for crowd control or disruptor ammo for even more tech bursts.

Thing is, with the rockets it'll back up before firing, which makes it slightly worse at pulling aggro.

Depends how you're using it though; I prefer it as a distraction than a damage-dealer because it's basically a long-range mobile decoy.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
I just noticed that some people did send me some Origin friend requests.
I also added a bunch of people near the bottom of the player list.

Anyone have some tips on building a Salarian Engineer? I've just brought everything to level 3 and have been using the N7 Hurricane.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
Yeah the rocket-drone works best when left in an open area where it won't have to back up all the time. When you use it this way it can be more reliable than pubbies for keeping trash off your back or flank. If you're mostly using the drone to distract I'd take explosive at 4 and put the other 11 points elsewhere.

^^^ Edit: I can give some general pointers for Sal Eng or you can post your manifest and I can make specific recommendations based on that.

MrDude
Jun 23, 2011

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Thing is, with the rockets it'll back up before firing, which makes it slightly worse at pulling aggro.

Depends how you're using it though; I prefer it as a distraction than a damage-dealer because it's basically a long-range mobile decoy.

Indeedy. The way I've started looking at HE (which was my primary class for like... 200 N7 levels) is as a Turian Sentinel with a shittier Warp and Combat Drone instead of Tech Armor. If you want to deal fantastic single target damage, stick to the class with the defensive edge/enhanced power damage/improved weapon staility. HE's advantage is pretty much just the Combat Drone's distraction, so I spec it for all the short-range evolutions, though in retrospect leaving it at 3 or 4 isn't gimping it that much.

Now that I'm growing to love Neural Shock after reading about some of its odder features*, my next round of respecs/promoting I think I'm going to give HEs another shot. I'll reset TSent to my old "max damage" setup (Overload with Damage/Cooldown/Shield Damage), plus a moderate-heavy weapon, and let HEs go crazy with something like Chain/Neural/Chain with light weapons. My favorite way to play HE is always to tailgate a fellow player with a spamable offensive power (Vanguards work great), Overloading whatever they're probably targeting, causing a Tech Burst. Chain Lightnings stun whatever's to that enemy's sides, and you can drop your Drone on a flank whenever an enemy starts creeping up on you. Guardian angel build, of sorts.

*for everyone that isn't keeping up with the recent hubbub: Neural Shock doubles damage against organic targets, and their shields/barriers. If you have Chain Lightning and hit a shielded enemy, it'll bounce to a non-shielded enemy and do the Neural Shock on them instead. Shield Damage evolution doesn't double damage against shields, it just takes it from 300% to 400%.

Of course, you have two HEs, so experiment. Rocket Drones can and will surprise you with a few mrdude1228[Combat Drone]Marauder out of nowhere. Not a bad choice if you're like me and can't shoot.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Lagomorphic posted:

Yeah the rocket-drone works best when left in an open area where it won't have to back up all the time. When you use it this way it can be more reliable than pubbies for keeping trash off your back or flank. If you're mostly using the drone to distract I'd take explosive at 4 and put the other 11 points elsewhere.

^^^ Edit: I can give some general pointers for Sal Eng or you can post your manifest and I can make specific recommendations based on that.

My manifest is pretty pathetic, but here it is: http://social.bioware.com/3878547/&v=bw_games&game=masseffect3_pc&pid=252769300&display=multiplayer

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

Improbable Lobster posted:

Anyone have some tips on building a Salarian Engineer? I've just brought everything to level 3 and have been using the N7 Hurricane.
Here's my Salarian Engineer Build

Decoy does everything you need it to do at 5 so don't bother maxing it. You're using the Hurricane do you want both defense boosts on energy drain. You could change the rank 6 to damage if you switch to a non-auto gun but the Hurricane is a good choice remember to either take AP ammo or use the piercing mod with it. Incenerate is specced for maximum single target damage. When taking down heavy armored enemies alternate between energy drain and incinerate for tech burst damage.

Again if you post your manifest I can make specific recommendations. If you have a Talon for example you could use that with disruptor ammo to tech burst everything.

Edit: You posted the manifest. I'll take a look.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

I noticed you don't really have any AP ammo this will hurt the performance of your Hurricane especially on Gold. If you're playing on Bronze or Silver it's not as big of a deal because enemies have less health and armor reduces damage less. If you're going to be farming Geth (and there's really no reason not to if you want to get poo poo unlocked quicker) you'll either want to try the Mantis or use the Hurricane but try to focus your weapon fire on Hunters, Rocket Troops and Pyros. You can still help with primes by hitting them with the energy drain/incinerate combo. Use your hurricane to take out any turrets the Primes throw out, they are easy to kill but can really gently caress up your team if they get ignored and they do tend to get ignored.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Lagomorphic posted:

I noticed you don't really have any AP ammo this will hurt the performance of your Hurricane especially on Gold. If you're playing on Bronze or Silver it's not as big of a deal because enemies have less health and armor reduces damage less. If you're going to be farming Geth (and there's really no reason not to if you want to get poo poo unlocked quicker) you'll either want to try the Mantis or use the Hurricane but try to focus your weapon fire on Hunters, Rocket Troops and Pyros. You can still help with primes by hitting them with the energy drain/incinerate combo. Use your hurricane to take out any turrets the Primes throw out, they are easy to kill but can really gently caress up your team if they get ignored and they do tend to get ignored.

I've been sticking to Silver and Bronze so far. Thanks for the advice.

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008

MrDude posted:

Shield Damage evolution doesn't double damage against shields, it just takes it from 300% to 400%.

No, it goes from 300% to 500% on organics, and 300% to 600% on Geth. Shield damage is totally worth it. Neural shock adds another 300% against organics, for a total of 800%, or something.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
After all this time, I finally unlocked the fury. She's even better than I'd imagined. Purple booms just everywhere.

Also, is it just me or is she Australian? She doesn't make a lot of noise but I swear I heard an accent poking through when she did.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

thehumandignity posted:

The word "firepower" is repeatedly misused in the game's various weapon descriptions and it is bugging the poo poo out of me. :spergin:

Why, how should it be used? If there is more than one definition, then I feel like it has a colloquial use and a technical use. For example, most people define a theory as "an educated guess based on some observations," but scientists define it as "a well-tested principle that has been confirmed by various studies."

Dilb posted:

No, it goes from 300% to 500% on organics, and 300% to 600% on Geth. Shield damage is totally worth it. Neural shock adds another 300% against organics, for a total of 800%, or something.

Source? Is there an official BioWare mechanics thread (or an unofficial thread with some guy decoding the calculations) confirming this?

kalel fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Sep 17, 2012

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008
My last post was about that:
Nah. From the crazy Russian guy on BSN who's checked the values directly from in-game memory:

"peddroelmz posted:

The rank 6 extra (100%) damage vs shields/barriers behaves differently vs organics and syntetics
X * 6 vs Syntetic Shields
X * 5 vs Organics Shields/Barriers

Combining Neural Shock with the rank 6 100% vs Shield evo
X * 6 vs Syntetic Shields (neural shock has no effect vs syntetics)
X *3 +*5 vs Organics Shields//Barriers (tested to be applied in 2 hits *3 + *5 ) - main consequence is Overload can drop Gold Phantom Barriers (3075) in one cast..

MrDude
Jun 23, 2011

Dilb posted:

Nah. From the crazy Russian guy on BSN who's checked the values directly from in-game memory:

Agh loving math. I feel like this game would benefit so much if we could get numbers to pop up above enemies' heads Borderlands style to indicate damage.

The Blue Caboose
May 20, 2007

jeff gerstmann hates fun

Dilb posted:

neural shock shield overload specced overload definitely does strip the shields off of every non boss enemy.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Does Flamer have a minimum range? Sometimes when I try to use it on enemies very close to me they don't seem to take any damage at all, and then they kill me. I'm not sure if it's a lag thing or what, because other times when I use it on enemies a bit further away they die real fast.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Why, how should it be used? If there is more than one definition, then I feel like it has a colloquial use and a technical use. For example, most people define a theory as "an educated guess based on some observations," but scientists define it as "a well-tested principle that has been confirmed by various studies."

This is accurate. The technical meaning is the volume of fire a weapon can project, while the colloquial use is usually the power, or perception of power behind each shot. For example, the Widow's description refers to its high firepower, when, in fact, the Widow's firepower is actually quite low. What it means is that it has high stopping power.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet but playing MQI is the best poo poo ever

Cloak -> Shoot -> quickly Scan -> quickly reload means that basically there is never any cooldown on the cloak. Scanning overrides the cooldown for cloak, and cloaking reload-cancels. I can get shots off with the Mantis about a second apart, all cloaked. It's glorious.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Paracelsus posted:

Does Flamer have a minimum range? Sometimes when I try to use it on enemies very close to me they don't seem to take any damage at all, and then they kill me. I'm not sure if it's a lag thing or what, because other times when I use it on enemies a bit further away they die real fast.

I think it may be because of the cone shape of the flame. If someone is right up in your face they may either be just outside of the narrow end of the flame, or even in past the hand the flame comes from. I get best results firing it at things a few feet past where the character's arms end.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
The shield damage bonus evolution debate causes me to wonder, does the damage spill over to health if it exceeds the amount of shields remaining? I guess the better question is do powers with this option lose damage to the shield gate? Or powers in general?

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

zxqv8 posted:

The shield damage bonus evolution debate causes me to wonder, does the damage spill over to health if it exceeds the amount of shields remaining? I guess the better question is do powers with this option lose damage to the shield gate? Or powers in general?
Flamer does lose damage to shield gating but because of the pseudo-DoT nature of it, it never loses very much.

The New Black
Oct 1, 2006

Had it, lost it.
So, anyone else tried the Graal since the buff? It's amazing. Thanks to the increased headshot multiplier and gate-ignoring, with good equipment you can blow the head clean off any non-boss enemy on Platinum. Hunters, Phantoms, even Pyros. I've been running it on my Krogan Soldier, backed up by Inferno Grenades, and even tried a Graal infiltrator build. Fun, but not quite as good as I hoped.

I also discovered (I think) one of the things that makes the game freeze. I noticed a couple of times that it happened as I was looking at someone when they died in that one spot on White that makes you fall through the floor and respawn. It might have been coincidence but looking back I realised a lot of my freezes were in that area, so from now on I will be studiously avoiding looking there once the last objective is done.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Is the Graal at all a pain to use if you're not a host?

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

VJeff posted:

A bit. It's still usable, but going for headshots when you're not the host is a recipe for missing unless the lag is very stable, and even then people can change directions at bad times.

The New Black
Oct 1, 2006

Had it, lost it.
Personally I haven't found it to be very noticeable, though generally I hold my shots til the enemy is fairly still or moving directly at me, or at close range. I've been using the Kishock for a while so maybe I'm just used to the travel time mechanics.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

VJeff posted:

Depends on the lag. If it's low-ish and stable you can generally adjust to the amount of pre-aim needed on the current host, but hitting moving targets is tricky either way. I'd recommend running it with a class that has a decent stagger power and using that to your advantage.

It works really well with the Batarian Soldier for example - Ballistic Blades to stagger, shoot your three shots on now easy to hit target(s), start reload, reload-cancel with the now again ready Ballistic Blades, repeat. I find the build very fun to play, but keep in mind that you're more of a brawler that can very effectively deal with crowds of mobs, not a boss killer.

Krampus Grewcock
Aug 26, 2010

Gruss vom Krampus!
So, I was talking with a random guy and he made an interesting claim. We were doing a geth/white/gold farm and on the third round the objective was target elimination. He had an N7 rank of 5000something and was pretty skillful, and we had a Salarian Engineer, a Demolisher, QFI, and something else and were pretty much untouchable, yet he took out a rocket and shot at the Prime. I asked him what was up with it and he goes on to say that if you can hit the spawn group and kill a smaller infantry enemy that it can trigger that weaker enemy to be the next target. Low and behold, the next target was a pyro. It then hit me, I've farmed plenty of rounds where round 3 is all primes, but then in the same game, round 10 has one prime followed by pyros or rocket troopers and it always perplexed me when it happened. So lately, I've been trying this out and it seems to only work half the time. Does anyone know if it's just a fluke or is there a definite trick to making the targets change to low rank enemies?

I also learned from a random dude recently about the Banshee stair trick where you can't get grabbed so long as you are on a different level from her, so I'm inclined to listen to pubbies.

e:↓↓↓sweet, thanks dude. I must not have been getting their spawnmates on the times it didn't work.

Krampus Grewcock fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Sep 17, 2012

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Yes, it works. You have to kill some of the infantry it spawns with in order to cause the targets to flip. It's easiest to have an infiltrator do it since they can get in close to ensure the rocket hits most of the spawn.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

The New Black posted:

Personally I haven't found it to be very noticeable, though generally I hold my shots til the enemy is fairly still or moving directly at me, or at close range. I've been using the Kishock for a while so maybe I'm just used to the travel time mechanics.

Being used to it helps, but if the lag is unstable then you can't know how far to lead a target, because you may need to add on a quarter-second of movement, or a half-second, or a full second, or pretty much anything in-between or beyond. Restrictions like you're mentioning help, but unstable lag can still ruin headshots even in those cases. Thankfully as SirViver says, stagger animations really help with it.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

KidKrampus posted:

So, I was talking with a random guy and he made an interesting claim. We were doing a geth/white/gold farm and on the third round the objective was target elimination. He had an N7 rank of 5000something and was pretty skillful, and we had a Salarian Engineer, a Demolisher, QFI, and something else and were pretty much untouchable, yet he took out a rocket and shot at the Prime. I asked him what was up with it and he goes on to say that if you can hit the spawn group and kill a smaller infantry enemy that it can trigger that weaker enemy to be the next target. Low and behold, the next target was a pyro. It then hit me, I've farmed plenty of rounds where round 3 is all primes, but then in the same game, round 10 has one prime followed by pyros or rocket troopers and it always perplexed me when it happened. So lately, I've been trying this out and it seems to only work half the time. Does anyone know if it's just a fluke or is there a definite trick to making the targets change to low rank enemies?

I also learned from a random dude recently about the Banshee stair trick where you can't get grabbed so long as you are on a different level from her, so I'm inclined to listen to pubbies.

Both of those things are true, and the Banshee-stairs thing has been mentioned in this thread before. The Target elimination thing has something to do with how it picks the next target for the objective, but I think someone else besides the target has to die in order for that unit type to become the next target, and it can't be one that is nearby any player.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

The banshee stairs trick works fairly well; the only time it didn't work for me was when a banshee managed to charge right next to me while I was standing on an incline. Usually you can just circle strafe around them while they helplessly claw at you.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
I do the rocket trick all the time on wave 3 of Cerberus to switch the target from an Atlas to a Guardian/Nemesis. Wave 6 is always Phantoms so there's no point.

EDIT: Atlases also can't stomp you if you die on stairs.

Elotana fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Sep 17, 2012

Krampus Grewcock
Aug 26, 2010

Gruss vom Krampus!
Does the trick also work on ramps? I keep forgetting to try, and also I usually don't play Reapers too much anyway.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
I like that the skin tone option for Kroguard is unnecessary.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The stairs trick for a Banshee is kinda neat, but does it really work on Gold or Platinum? Seems like at that point, if you're anything besides a Kroguard, then the constant Warps you'll be taking and the fire from other enemies like Marauders and Ravagers would leave you considerably hosed up.

Just seems really situational to me, although I'd love to solo Silver with a slashing Slayer (say that five times fast :smug:) and just fight Banshees on stairs all day.

Donald Kimball
Sep 2, 2011

PROUD FATHER OF THIS TURD ------>

Just unlocked the Paladin and Cerbguard in one PSP. I have no clue how to spec the Paladin, and I'm shaky on the vanguard. Any suggestions?

Actually, is the Cerbguard even viable on platinum?

Donald Kimball fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Sep 17, 2012

The Blue Caboose
May 20, 2007

jeff gerstmann hates fun

zxqv8 posted:

It does spill over to hp, but let's say you have shield damage overload against a geth with 2000 shields, and your overload does 500 damage. overload strips the shields for 2000 damage at x6, then does (1000/6)*.25=~42 damage to hp after gate. Technically yes, but in practice its pretty meaningless.

As for the paladin, max e-drain and snap freeze, ignore incinerate (or 3 points from class skill if you absolutely have to be able to detonate tech bursts solo at range), then 6 fitness for cyro shield and 5 or 6 in n7 for power damage. Spam snap freeze through walls, and e-drain things with shields to keep your shields up. I like the Paladin on my paladin, gives him some reach to pop unshielded heads, and handles well enough up close to shatter frozen enemies.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

The Blue Caboose posted:

As for the paladin, max e-drain and snap freeze, ignore incinerate (or 3 points from class skill if you absolutely have to be able to detonate tech bursts solo at range), then 6 fitness for cyro shield and 5 or 6 in n7 for power damage. Spam snap freeze through walls, and e-drain things with shields to keep your shields up. I like the Paladin on my paladin, gives him some reach to pop unshielded heads, and handles well enough up close to shatter frozen enemies.

This is all correct I'd add that for your weapon you can't really go wrong with something that reliably applies ammo effects (Talon, Falcon, etc) and disruptor ammo or you can do the Reeger + incendiary for really nasty close range damage.

Donald Kimball posted:

Probably not for random/random Platinum but it is absolutely great for a biotic farming teams. I wrote up a guide for this that's linked in the second post of this thread. There's not a lot of pubbies doing this strategy anymore so you'll want to round up some friends for it.

Speaking of farming I'm working on a video for farming with pubbies using the demolisher. I'll hopefully get it up soon.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.

Donald Kimball posted:

It's useful for Glacier farming, but it's a poor choice for an actual map-roaming team. Your biotic combo potential is poor: Smash is too slow, Lash can't touch armor, both of those abilities expose you to fire without providing any DR frames, and you don't have enough toughness or close-combat potential to use Charge effectively (compared to a Krogan Battlemaster, N7 Slayer, or Novaguard).

I usually play Justicar, and on Platinum difficulty I'd prefer to be teamed with:
  • N7 Fury. Complements my class and playstyle perfectly: she's effective at any range but prefers to stay mobile and fight up close.
  • Novaguard. Acts as the center of attention, allowing me to choose the best tactical position rather than hiding in cover. Detonates targets even faster than I can prime them.
  • Krogan Battlemaster. Limited detonation potential and less tanky than a Novaguard in pinball mode, but his toughness makes him quite valuable during objective rounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

Lagomorphic posted:

I'm working on a video for farming with pubbies

You poor soul.

• Locked thread