Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Kouji is the hardest working man in Super Robot Wars. He doesn't even get to switch with other pilots like Ryouma does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pasteurized Milk posted:

Kouji is the hardest working man in Super Robot Wars. He doesn't even get to switch with other pilots like Ryouma does.

He will when Mazinkaiser SKL gets in!

(Also if you're not putting Boss or Sayaka in Mazinger instead, you're not living. :colbert:)

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007
I just want to mention something. That stage there? That stage is a BITCH because, no matter what, you will be working with a full squad of unupgraded characters, only one of whom has an effective Ace bonus.

And considering that on New Game Plus, enemies actually have upgrades of their own right from the beginning, and that Vajra are just slightly less bastardly than DAMON... Yeah, ouch.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Ah, Macross Missile Massacres. I never cease to wonder how they fit so many inside their units. I think raw volume wise the missiles should be taking up more space than their whole mech.

Drop Kyrios and the Nova Eagle.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Drop the Nova Eagle and Duo.

Also, the music in this game is amazing. So many awesome remixes of already awesome themes. Is it possible to get it somewhere, or is it considered :filez:?

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.

Caphi posted:

and Setsuna and Heero...

Yeah.

This reminds me of another Heero moment with Rei in another SRW game, also Drop Kyrios and the Nova Eagle.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Drop Nova Eagle and Kyrios

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
Drop the Nova Eagle and the Deathscythe.

I feel kinda sorry for the Nova Eagle. It's not a bad unit, but it's just so bland.

As for Frontier, it's in the unique position of being the only Macross I don't like. I kind of felt like it was pandering too much to different viewerbases to try and get more viewers with stuff like loli Clan Clan and the Pinpoint Barrier Punches being dropped in favor of the lameo beam swords, and that really weakened the show for me.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Son Ryo posted:

As for Frontier, it's in the unique position of being the only Macross I don't like. I kind of felt like it was pandering too much to different viewerbases to try and get more viewers with stuff like loli Clan Clan and the Pinpoint Barrier Punches being dropped in favor of the lameo beam swords, and that really weakened the show for me.

... Please tell me that a certain combination attack involving punching with pinpoint barriers from the last episode is in the is game.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

ImpAtom posted:

Getter Robo has been left out of a few games actually. It isn't in J, K or L. Mazinger and Gundam (franchise, obviously) are the only ones in every game.

Fun fact: The only robot in the entire SRW franchise that has a perfect attendance record (outside of the OG games) is Boss Borot. Unless you consider the two Z2 chapters separate stories.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Silentman0 posted:

Fun fact: The only robot in the entire SRW franchise that has a perfect attendance record (outside of the OG games) is Boss Borot. Unless you consider the two Z2 chapters separate stories.

No, apparently Boss Borot was absent from the first SRW, but he's been in every single one since.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Materant posted:

No, apparently Boss Borot was absent from the first SRW, but he's been in every single one since.

Are you sure? I could have sworn I saw pictures but now I can't seem to find any evidence to back me up. :psyduck:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

To be fair, SRW1 was super limited and none of the pilots were in it, just the robots.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

To be fair, SRW1 was super limited and none of the pilots were in it, just the robots.

Did it even pretend to have plot, in that case? I know the first few SRW games were basically just running through big fights from various series, but 3 at least seemed to have something resembling a narrative to it.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Spiritus Nox posted:

Did it even pretend to have plot, in that case? I know the first few SRW games were basically just running through big fights from various series, but 3 at least seemed to have something resembling a narrative to it.

The entire plot of SRW1 is basically "There's a planet with robots from Gundam, Getter, and Mazinger. The Mecha Gilgilgun has arrived and made all the robots but yours evil. Are you a bad enough group of giant apparently sentient robots to defeat him?"

Amusingly the Mecha Gilgilgun is therefore the very first Banpresto original, it's a modified version of the Gilgilgun from the Great Mazinger vs. Getter Robo movie.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

The U. N. of this Earth has made contact with the Frontier, and the ship has identified itself to them. That's one mystery solved, and it explains the fact that the mysterious starship has space technology far beyond our own. Sumeragi explains what the Frontier revealed about their Earth's history, how their own technology was vastly advanced by the first Macross, a super advanced alien spaceship that crashed on Earth.

That ship is also what got the Earth embroiled in the war with the Zentraedi and nearly destroyed the human race. Fearing extinction, that Earth dispatched a fleet of colony ships to spread the seeds of humanity throughout the galaxy. One of those is the Frontier colony we see before us.

This news is worrying some of our Earthlings, who are prepared for the worst: that the Frontier will attempt to colonize our Earth. The trigger-happy superpowers were ready to send out their force, but Elgan Roddick, head of the Peacekeeping Council, slipped in first with the diplomatic option. He's got am emissary group headed out to meet the Frontier, and our job is to keep them safe.

Roddick is a ruthless man who has the entire U. N. off balance, but he's also very shrewd and one of the few good men in government. There's a good chance he's in cahoots with that Boatman guy too - he almost certainly tipped the latter off to the Frontier. And all this without raising any alarms in the U. N.

With our delegate are Ambassadors Dorian and Corner. Setsuna recalls that Dorian is Relena's dad fron his stint in Area 11, where he was following up on Celestial Being's watch on the Ambassador. Duo and Heero were right there and didn't even know about that, and Setsuna's knowledge of the Dorians bothers Heero, who has to insist that he's cut all ties with the young lady.

I can't get enough of these shots.

They talk more about the ship itself - less of a boat and more of a huge, floating, mobile colony that contains a whole city where people can live and work. To the rest of the world, they're almost like a new country, and one with extremely advanced technology. Crowe is optimistic that they'll join us, but the possibility of war still looms over Celestial Being's head. Hope the negotiations go well.

Meanwhile, on Island 1, Nanase is chattering away to Alto, who is keeping his S. M. S. work a secret on top of his studies. They're talking about the Frontier's place in the new Earth's government, where Alto, like our heroes, doesn't think the Frontier is going to go to war with other Earthlings. If the negotations do break down, he's sure they can just turn around and resume their long voyage. It's not like anything has changed for the space citizens of the Frontier just because they've hopped to a different space... though Alto, for one, would like to stand on the new Earth for just a moment.

Mikhail and Luca share the same class with Alto, and man, Mikhail is a dick. He mocks Alto for being a much worse pilot than his old job (not, as Luca thinks, his gig as a flying acrobat, but even before) and says Alto's going to get someone killed up there. And Alto getting mad only supports his point. When Alto finally gets fed up and stalks off, Mikhail, never dropping his goddamn smirk, claims it's because Alto is his "friend." "But friendship's not what you should worry about, is it, Luca? Come on, there's not even a point leaving you alone with Nanase." he stings.

Mikhail's a total dick, you guys.

The Colony kids are really impressed with the living conditions in the town of Island 1, but let's be honest - some people have to live their whole lives without leaving the place once, so it might as well be comfy. No time for pleasure, though - we're here to take the temperature of the civilians of the Frontier fleet. Which is great for the sharp Crowe, outgoing Duo, and chill Lockon, but...

why these guys?

Setsuna needs as much practice as he can get dealing with people missions, and Heero... um...

is here just in case we need something snuck into. Yeah, that's the ticket. Please don't kill my sniper, Heero.

Crowe slams into Alto, lost in thought, and the team springs on the chance to drop their Dimensional Quake opinion survey on him. He and Lockon are posing as social scientists who are field training their "students", Heero, Duo, and Setsuna. Crowe chafes a little at a team of expert pilots going door to door taking surveys, but oh well.

But Setsuna gets into it and begs, saying he'll be held back in class if he can't get enough replies. He gets the surprised Duo and Heero into the act too. Crowe wonders, if he can act like that, why can't he be like that all the time?

As Alto's working on the questions, Mikhail joins, and he and Lockon instantly peg each other as snipers. Mikhail pulls Alto away, claiming something urgent. He might know something about us, but he's also tipped his hand to us as well. Those are no ordinary schoolboys, and if the Frontier is employing kids as soldiers, Lockon wants to know why.

(Heero considers taking them out, and Crowe has to talk him down.)

Duo jokes that this might be the exact reason Heero was sent on this team, but Heero just murmers, "Yes, that's who I really am. So why can't I kill Relena?"

Mikhail drags Alto back to Luca, where they reveal to him that unknown radiation was discovered around Island 1. Radiation that scrambled the defense radar and blacked out the security feeds - sound familiar? Those surveyors might not have been mere scientists - they might even have been from outside the fleet. Now, if there are intruders in the Island, the police will catch them. Meanwhile, the S. M. S. team is being dispatched shortly to investigate the outside.

Mikhail is assigned to keep Alto from getting himself blown up, but he doesn't have to like it, nor Alto's attitude. He has no interest in getting killed for Alto's sake, but--

The sound of a song floats in. If you want to put it on, now's the time. Alto seems to find the song soothing.

Boy, this game is skipping history. Alto calls out Ranka, and both boys promise that the song has calmed them down. No more fighting.

Ranka is Ozma's adopted sister, and if you remember, she has no memories since she was caught in a Vajra attack. Well, that's almost true. For some reason, she remembers that song, and only that song.

Sheryl has come to get her "charm" back from Alto, but was sidetracked by listening to Ranka's song.

The advance team, tailing Alto, recognize Sheryl as the mega popular singer nicknamed the Galaxy Fairy, who their intel says was visiting the Frontier from another fleet. Crowe, the fastest fan in history, wants her autograph. No, wait, he wants to sell it. Of course. But now's not the time. What's she doing here, and what's her deal with Alto?

No time to talk. The P. A. calls everyone to take shelter, and the S. M. S. team has been likewise called to move out. Let's go!

Chapter 11: On Your Marks
(space route)

President Glass explains to the Ambassadors that the Vajra, alien creatures who were brought with the Macross by the Dimensional Quake, are attacking. Smirking, Alejandro calls that a bit of a problem for Macross immigration, but Mishima is confident that his men can simply destroy the Vajra and make them a non-issue.

The S. M. S. team is on its own this time. The Frontier doesn't want to make a big show of its military for its new friends.

The Vajra show up. Ozma orders the S. M. S. team to put on a good show for our guests!

Beat the whole stage within four ally turns, is the goal this time.

Here's the map.

I thought we finished you off! Why are you back?
Or are there even more of you somewhere?

Luca follows to stack the Jammer and the Command.

Alto is still crazy behind, so I want to give him a kill or two every turn.

The Koenig Monster is a somewhat slow midrange attacker in shuttle form, and a ridiculously slow but very long-range cannon in Gerwalk form.

Of course, just being a Macross unit means it can dodge sometimes, though it's not as agile as a VF or Zentraedi power armor. Anyway, Alto can swoop in and take it out.

Come and get it! I'm serious about this!

You're not getting anywhere near the fleet!
Huh.
What, Michel?
I might have been wrong about Alto.
What does that mean?
Nothing. But he's still not going to outdo me.

But enemy reinforcements appear. It looks like the S. M. S. squad won't be able to handle it on their own.

Fortunately, they won't have to. The Ptolemy has arrived to save the day!

(The losers of the polls were Aoi, unanimously, and then Allelujah, though Duo was in the running too.)

Sumeragi hails Ozma to say she can't reveal their identity, but her forces will help. Ozma can't turn down that offer. Not only are we helping out our fellow man, but the Vajra remind Ryoma of the Invaders, and any space monster gives Duo cause to worry about the Colonies.

Anyway, keeping Michel near Klan, Ozma, and Luca. Guy's crazy safe.

(How did I find myself protecting her father?)
(And why am I even thinking that? I have nothing to do with her anymore...)

It doesn't matter what they are. If they cause violence, Celestial Being must eliminate them.

Yet another mysterious unknown enemy. The Chief's probably happy, but the rest of the planet's gonna have a bad day.
I have to fight them, so I'm already having a bad day.

(This is where I wanted to put some Getter lines, but they didn't have any, I guess.)

Ryoma learns Trust.

Michel gets attacked.

But he is crazy safe.

For a relatively small Macross unit, the Monster is pretty tanky.

There's a bunch of futile moving, and the big Vajra don't act.

Then the second wave hits.

What follows is extremely boring, so I'm just going to hit the main points.

Which are that nothing of note happens and it's my turn again.

It's about time to think about moving on the big Vajra, who will probably start moving next turn, which means I have to spend time getting to them.

Chris learns Analyze. I think that happened in the other timeline too.

Virtue's barrier is still great.

Another monster you can't talk to. Great.
Let me tell you what we do to monsters when they attack us! We crush them until there isn't a speck left!

Turns out Ryoma does have things to say, but they only trigger in Getter-1.

Executive summary: They all die. Setsuna has a second turn, as usual.

He could be attacking the bottom leader, but I want him to try and drag the third one instead. The S. M. S. squad will have their hands tied dealing with the top two.

Ozma leads them, as usual, "upward" into the topmost big Vajra.

Alto follows for the kill.

Luca finally gets to use his VF's special weapon, the only VF's I didn't get to last chapter (Alto doesn't have one, the sucker).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qMy1f5Ys10

Also, Klan, who wasn't even really in the last chapter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wqoA7SVk2A
Speaking of which, Klan does a squad attack with her soldiers Nene and Laramia, but I guess they couldn't get the other voice actors so they don't get any lines.

So now it's the S. M. S. team against two boss Vajra. Should be fun.

I say let them try.

Shortly into the enemy phase, the S. M. S. team is impressed that our machines can compete with the their own VF units. But they can also see that our team is a motley crew of prototypes and unique machines, not an organized force.

But something else is coming.

Oh god dammit.

Ozma wants data, but we don't know much more about the Invaders than they do. There's only one thing we can assure him of - they're enemies.

The Invaders are attacking our forces, the Frontier, and the Vajra alike.

So far, the Vajra seem to still be attacking us.

Oh, there we go.

:sigh:

What ensues is extremely slow pandemonium, as the enemy mooks die en masse while their leaders try to kill each other. Zzz...

zz... What? Oh, the game finally needs me again.

Obviously, the Invaders (yellow) have suddenly become our main problem. I should be sweeping up the bosses at the edges and moving south and east.

First, let's bring in the S. M. S. team. First on the list is the big Vajra who's been loitering at the top of the map. I love donut shaped weapon ranges.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=in0mrSjSPUc
Last video, really.

Lockon sees the kill and wonders if that kid he met is in the blue mech.

Pretty soon, the S. M. S. side is cleaned up.

Likewise the CB side.

And after Setsuna takes out the remaining Vajra in one swoop, it's just a couple of ugly Invaders left.

One sticks around, and the other guns for Alto.

What the hell! The bugs weren't enough, we have to fight these things too?
Fine! I'll take them all on, whatever they are!

He says, but takes a hit.

Now to finish this.

Getter obliterates the last Invader...

and Musashi learns the Drive/Spirit upgrade again (I seriously can't remember which one's which).

Alto is fed the last one and finally makes it to a civilized level.

The Point is won with plenty of time to spare.

Our side reflects on how hard the battle was. Could the Council's forces even have stood a chance if we hadn't been here?

Sumeragi orders everyone to clear out and debrief, leaving the S. M. S. crew to wind down themselves. This Earth isn't quite as safe as they thought, and they've brought along their own problems - the Vajra that came with them are far from limited to the few they'd fought earlier.

On the Ptolemy, the crew is discussing the happenings Frontierside - specifically, Sheryl Nome. Johnny is sure Crowe would try to get an autograph and then hock it ("I'm so glad somebody understands me," quips Crowe after getting over the shock). Meanwhile, Chris listened to her songs while she was hacking the Frontier for intel and become an overnight fan. She wishes she'd gone too.

The away team wasn't lucky enough to hear Sheryl in person, but they talk about the song they did hear. They tell the story of how it stopped a fight, and Crowe wishes it were so easy to stop war (do you remember love?).

Setsuna scoffs and stomps out. Even if Crowe were joking, that sort of thing is a sore point for him.

As for the team's real objective, they've got it. The citizens of the Frontier are galactic wanderers anyway, so they're not bothered by being displaced to a new universe. The real question is the government - will they be allies or enemies? That depends on what happens from here on out, so don't screw it up, Ambassadors. Or else we'll never get to hear the Galaxy Fairy's songs...

Same deployment deal next mission. I'll assume we're holding back the same two units, but anyone's free to pipe up with a better idea. After the next mission, we'll be jumping back to the other units and continuing with the main plot from there.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Caphi posted:

What ensues is extremely slow pandemonium, as the enemy mooks die en masse while their leaders try to kill each other. Zzz...

You'd think Banpresto would just give you an option to turbo through the enemy phase at this point.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Caphi posted:

I can't get enough of these shots.

I just hope one day comes that Gundam Wing, Gundam 00, Full Metal Panic, and Evangelion are in the same SRW together. :allears:

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Dr Pepper posted:

I just hope one day comes that Gundam Wing, Gundam 00, Full Metal Panic, and Evangelion are in the same SRW together. :allears:

Don't forget VOTOMS. Never forget VOTOMS... :colbert:

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Alto meets Ranka on the same hill she was singing at last chapter. She confesses to Alto the song, Aimo, is the sole memory she has of her childhood before her amnesia - and that she came to this hill to sing it because she thought no one else would hear it. After meeting Sheryl and Alto, though, she's changed her mind. She tells a story about how she, Alto, and Sheryl were trapped in an underground shelter during an attack (by the way, this was all actually shown in the show), thinking she'd die and no one would ever know where she was. "I just wanted someone to know I was there."

Alto says it'll never happen - not while she's so down on herself all the time. Inexplicably, this cheers her up, and she declares she'll sing for the world if Alto will listen. She starts singing the song again right there, and Alto feels like the song has been supporting him.

Negotiations are wrapping up, with the Frontier fleet being treated as an independent nation by the U. N. In return, the fleet will share its knowledge and technology fairly across the planet. Let's start with the Vajra. They are, naturally, a mysterious alien organism that even the Fleet doesn't know everything about. They do know that each Vajra bug can do its own Fold - teleportation for the Macross universe - and shoot organic missiles and lasers from their bodies. But from the analysis they've been able to perform, the Vajra are virtually missing a brain (Mishima carefully doesn't say they don't have a brain at all). The current theory is that the bugs are drones controlled remotely by a brain somewhere else, like giant laser space bees. Alejandro Corner's first conclusion, strangely, is rather that they're biological weapons.

The inauguration of President Howard and the fleet as a nation is tomorrow, and they have plans to take the occasion to tell the people of Earth and the fleet about the Vajra. There don't seem to be that many buzzing around, and President Howard promises to spearhead the operation to finish them off. The fleet's Fold system was borked in the attack, so they'll be hanging around the Earth sphere for a bit. After that, they'll take off and resume their journey towards the center of the galaxy looking for a new planet to call home. They can't get back to their own universe, but no one was planning to go back to their Earth in the first place, so it's all the same to them.

Alto is doing pushups back on the Macross Quarter - punishment for 25 straight failures on the simulator. Michel is lording it over him and ordering him around - "This is the S. M. S. squad and you have to follow its rules."

Meanwhile, the Quarter's contractually stipulated trio of operator girls are checking out the new guy, along with camp-as-hell operator Bobby "we girls gotta stick together" Margo (who already has his heart set on another guy).

Back with the A-team, Luca reveals that Michel turned up the simulator. Michel just shrugs and claims the regular difficulty wouldn't have been a challenge.

Klan stomps in - she's just walking, but that poo poo's loud when you're a giant - offers to let Alto train with the Pixie Squad, Zentraedi style.

Anyway, Grace is looking for him. She has a letter from Sheryl to Alto, which gets Michel all a-titter. Grace says it's nothing like what he's thinking but asks everyone to keep it under their hats anyway. Michel slides in to hit on Grace, but when he introduces himself - "Second Lieutenant Mikhail Blanc, but my friends call me Michel. You can call me anything you want that too," - she just gets flustered - "I'm... sorry about your sister." Then she hurries out, leaving Michel uncharacteristically discombobulated.

Alto, thick as ever, trash-talks Michel some more, but Michel is unusually vicious in response. He snaps at Alto, accusing him of being a spoiled pretty-boy who ran away from home to play war, then tries to compose himself to ditch and leave Alto to Luca. "I don't know if I can control myself around you right now," he smirks.

Klan hints that what happened to Jessica still haunts Michel (you think?). She assures Alto that Michel is all right, he just almost never says what he's really feeling. Michel lost his parents at a young age and was virtually raised by his sister, Jessica. She was a sniper too, until she accidentally shot an ally in combat... and of course, it was her superior and lover... right after they had a fight. Jessica was court-martialed, then killed herself. And that's what's been haunting Michel ever since, why the mere mention of his sister flips a switch inside him.

(I hope every Macross stage isn't going to have this stupid amount of dialogue.)

Alto read Sheryl's letter, and meets her at the specified time and place. She doesn't want him to misunderstand - the only link between them is that he's flown acrobatics for a concert of hers, and that he has her earring. The earring happens to be the reason she called him out. She wants it back, and Alto says he's glad to give it to her. It seems to have gotten caught on Alto, and the earring is linked to Grace's implants so she can sense through it. They exposit about the cyborg implants some more, how pretty much everyone on the Galaxy has them even though they're unheard of here. Sheryl assures Alto that one of her selling points is being all-natural.

Speaking of selling points, Sheryl's a hit in the fleet, she's holding a concert and she's giving Alto special tickets. She's sent some to Ranka, too, and she expects to see them both there. "Feel free to thank me for setting you up on a date." Alto forcefully insists that he and Ranka are not an item. Then he wafts away into a reverie - "Why do people sing? Why do we try to fly?" Sheryl is surprised, but offers up her own answer: "Obviously, because they can't live without doing those things. That's how it is for me and Ranka. How about you?"

Alto admits it, and thinks again about Michel...

Sheryl has one more thing to say. "You're pretty terrible, but there's one thing about you I like. You don't treat me as Sheryl."

She finally actually takes back her earring and confesses to Alto that it's the one and only thing she has of her mother.

(oh god why is this date taking so long) She asks Alto if he likes this ship. He hates it. He hates city ships in general. He desperately wants to fly under a real, genuine sky, and Sheryl suggests he get off and live down on Earth. He shoots a question back, does she want to live on the Galaxy again? To an extent, she does, because it's where she grew up, but at the same time, she wants to move forward to new stages, not backwards.

Michel calls in to say the Vajra are coming. Stop flirting, Alto, we've got work to do. Before he leaves, Sheryl gives the earring back to Alto to keep using as a good luck charm. "I hated the Galaxy," she admits. "I couldn't stand living there all by myself. But it was still my home. This place is home to a lot of people, and you're going out to defend it. So I want you to keep this." They do the "better live so you can give it back" dance, and Alto runs off to sortie.

Chapter 12: First Attack
(space route)

The S. M. S. group's battleship, the Macross Quarter, is going out to fight personally this time.

The VFs of the S. M. S. squadron likewise move out.

Ozma didn't know Cathy was on the ship and deduces that her dad, President Glass, put her there to watch the S. M. S. squad. She bristles at him, the bridge bunnies whisper excitedly that they seem awfully friendly, and Bobby sulks. Hmm. Well, she's on board with the mission, especially with Sheryl's concert going on at Island 1.

We're cooperating in full with the S. M. S. group this time.

The WPC team checks out the new battleship and agrees not to let Sheryl's concert get smashed. The show must go on.

Speaking of which, it's just starting. Ranka is supposed to be sitting next to Alto, but he's nowhere to be found.

Sheryl's doing a good job of keeping the crowd focused on her. Her show is going to supply the background music for the battle, 9 PM at Sagittarius (Don't Be Late), and I'd be remiss in delivering Macross if I didn't try to supply it. Feel free to put it on if you like.

The Vajra arrive to her sound.

Ozma kicks off the fight by ordering his squad into formation Planet Dance.

But first, are you ready for the best battleship in the game?

Macross Quarter Fortress Mode (Jeffrey Wilder, Bobby Margo, Catherine Glass)
Skills
Command L3
Defensive Support L2
EN Save
Spirits
(Jeffrey)
Strike
Trust
(Bobby)
Vigor
Accel
(Cathy)
Scan
Traits
-
Weapons
Anti-Air Cannons (18 ammo)
Anti-Armor Beam Cannon (12 ammo)
Macross Cannon (32 EN, 110 Will)
Ace Bonus: Adjacent S. M. S. members gain +20% Accuracy, +20% Evasion.

The Gekko isn't a battleship, this is a battleship, and it comes with a real Command aura, a good set of spells, and did I mention it's a really strong battleship? This isn't nearly all it has to offer, either, as anyone who knows the first thing about Macross has probably figured out already.

Anyway, let's start on the other side.

One down.

Two.

And when the third one goes down...

Something is about to Fold into the zone.

More Vajra - and they've come with a big one this time! The pilots can tell that the new Vajra is controlling the attack patterns of the others. That means if we take it out first, the rest of the Vajra should be easy to pick off.

Unfortunately, the SR Point comes if I take out the big one last, as in take out all the others first. Within four ally phases, too.

Oh, and it seems like a good time for Musashi to supercharge the Getter team.

Charge!

More charge!

The enemy phase takes place. The boss refuses to move.

So on turn 2, I'm still pretty far away from it.

You heard what Zero said - if the king doesn't lead, his men won't follow.

Hit & Away is the best way to deal with enemies on the outskirts of the charge line.

It just took one mention of my sister to knock me off balance. I have a long way to go.
An imbalanced mind is an unsteady aim. If I can't stay cool, I can't be a sniper!

He's a pretty good sniper to me. Better than Lockon "who the hell needs Hit & Away" Stratos at least.

Oh yeah, and "adjacent" still only covers four squares.

I can do this! I joined the S. M. S. for a reason!
I'll get through this alive so I can give Sheryl her earring back!

Anyway, the S. M. S. squad is done acting. They squashed some useless bugs.

While the escort team moseys along picking off stragglers,

the members of them with fast machines or Accel put the pedal to the metal. We're closing in on the boss now.

End of turn 2.

Klan gets a kill and learns Trust.

The boss's contingent mostly stays put.

But the boss itself fires its biggest guns.

And I do mean big. The Vajra Knight-class is battleship sized.

Turn 3 begins.

After Michel and Canaria shoot down the last big Vajra, only the Knight and its bodyguards remain.

And the escort doesn't last long.

The Knight is pretty beefy, but we have a full turn and some secret weapons.

For example, we have Ryoma Nagare.

I should also point out that the Knight has a weapon that inflicts the worst status effect in the game, Immobilize, which means the affected pilot can take no actions. Like, ever. No moving, no attacking, no counterattacking or even defending and evasion. It makes you a sitting duck.

So casting Alert on Getter to make sure it doesn't get hit in the first place might be wise.

This is their boss? I'm disappointed.
Let your bug soldiers know that they're not getting anywhere near the Earth while we're standing!

Gettaaaaah Beam!

The enemy's immobilizing attack is sending dozens of tiny Vajra drones at its target. Hayato keeps Ryoma safe.

With the Vajra likely to survive to the next round, Support Attacking Crowe sets himself up for an onslaught.

They're shooting all over the place. Are you sure these are living creatures?
Either way, they're pretty tough, so I'm expecting a nice bonus for this kind of data.

Oh no Crowe. (He's fine.)

If this thing's here, we can bet the whole swarm came along.
But I'm still not letting you through! You're not getting anywhere near the Frontier!

It'll be finished within the round.

If it attacks the wrong target (Ryoma, it's Ryoma), it might be finished within the counter phase.

It attacks Heero instead.

And on the fourth turn, it's taken down by the first attack (Alto's).

As usual, well in time for the SR Point.

The Knight tries to flee. Luca goes after it for a scan before it gets away.

But the huge alien strikes, and Luca's RVF is hit.

Despite Ozma's warnings, Alto flies in to back him up.

And promptly finds himself harried by Vajra.

Meanwhile, Ranka is still at the concert.

Sheryl is about to go into her last song, but first, she tells the audience that she wants to sing it for "those people who are putting their lives on the line far away from here." Just as Ranka realizes why Sheryl is singing at a time like this, the Fairy looks straight at her and asks her to sing along with her. Here's the new BGM (I'm just youtubing these things so you can submit better links if you feel strongly about it).

Alto hears the song and asks Michel to give him support fire. Michel is terrified that he'll make the same mistake as his sister, but Alto encourages him to do better than Jessica, and...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTbC3xjV5DA
Not only does Michel overcome his barriers to take the shot, but Alto gains the ability to do the ISC Maneuver!

Alto manages to escape the hive, but the other Vajra are on his tail. A mysterious YF flies in to support him, taking the Vajra out.

Alto secures Luca. Meanwhile, the bridge crew is making plans. Cathy whines that whatever they're planning is too dangerous, but Jeffrey reminds her that as long as they have a chance, they should take it. "Quarter to all active units. The ship will now engage the Vajra ship directly."

Captain, I still don't think--
Bobby! Show those bugs why, even though the Quarter is only 400 meters long, it bears the name "Macross"...
Or rather, why it's a Macross that size!
You got it, boss!
Hang on tight!

The ship transforms into a giant robot! Vajra try to intercept, but the ship-robot swats them aside.

Macross Cannon, prepare to fire!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZnesnG_8p8

The Vajra are all gone.

The mysterious pilot has the data on the Frontier he came for. He vanishes. But then...

Oh god.

Oh god dammit.

Macross Quarter Assault Mode
Traits
-
Weapons
Anti-Air Cannons (18 ammo)
Anti-Armor Beam Cannon (12 ammo)
Buster Cannon (20 EN)
Macross Cannon (MAP) (96 EN, 140 Will)
Sword Macross Cannon (56 EN, 120 Will)
Macross Cannon (80 EN, 130 Will)

The Quarter can switch between its Fortress and Assault modes at will now like any transformer. It's more mobile by far in Fortress mode, but extremely powerful in Assault mode.

It even has a tremendous MAP weapon.

Anyway, we don't have a time limit or anything now, so that's good.

Alto's VF has unlocked the ISC Maneuver for good.

Alto and Luca stick to the Quarter.

Ozma goes to join them.

Oh my god why do these fucks have so much HP.

Seriously, grunts with five digits, this is not allowed.

The rest of the S. M. S. squad tries to regroup around the Quarter.

The Brasta is repaired.

They're definitely stronger than the ones from before that Damon attacked.
But I'm not gonna get whacked without keeping my promise to Esther. It'd be against my principles.

Meanwhile, Setsuna continues being a good little soldier by learning Alert.

End of the player phase.

One of the Rhinodamons charges. I think it's going for the Quarter, but it can't reach so it targets Heero instead.

Heero's little gun fails to penetrate its D. Fault.

The other Rhino goes straight for Crowe and gets a Faiz for its trouble.

Time for more Macross.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHxn-Gn9DPU
Overkill, you say? Pfft.

One more thing from Alto.

Some place this Earth is, crawling with these things!
I'm not gonna die here without ever flying under a real sky!

Meanwhile, the Earth side is mounting an attack on the Rhinodamons.

I really hate these things.

A lot.

It's not just the D. Fault - they also have thick skins and a ton of HP.

Tieria learns Guard, which cuts all incoming damage by a quarter for a full turn. (It's outrageously good with barrier units, by the way.)

By the way, this would be a great place to use Analyze. If only Chris had the SP to cast it.

Ryoma scoffs at tactics and resources.

Setsuna leapfrogs off a weakened Bulldamon.

Then he spends Crowe's last support so Crowe can finish it off personally.

Now it's just cleanup.

Both remaining Damons challenge Getter. Guess how that goes.

Afterwards, the scene repeats itself about the new Damons and MD.

Jeffrey thanks us for our help. Sumeragi sadly says we'll probably never see each other again anyway, and even if we do, she doubts they're going to earn his gratitude then. Everyone parts ways and leaves the battlefield. Michel and Ozma both deign to compliment Alto for his performance.

This fucker mumbles to himself again.

Back at fleet HQ, Mishima and Glass get their report on the combat. With the Vajra (and other monsters) flying around, they decide to keep their army close at hand to defend the colony. That means that fulfilling their obligation to the Earth falls on the S. M. S.' forces.

Back on the Quarter, a little girl greets Alto as he climbs out of his plane. It turns out to be Klan, who has a rare genetic condition that makes her turn into a little girl when miclonized. Michel teases her, but Alto thinks they make a good couple - much to Michel's dismay, because he prefers girls with brains and curves. Michel's also letting Alto call him "Michel" now, which is a good sign.

Ozma's been up at the bridge, and he returns to say it wasn't just to debrief. He's brought Captain Jeffrey back with him for a big announcement. Since they've shot down the Vajra commander, the rest of the Vajra should scatter and be easy pickings, so President Glass has declared the threat over. In passing, he's just noticed Alto, and going by the new kid's performance, "You're a little green, but you've got talent. Reminds me of someone I used to know." Ozma clears his throat and asks Jeffrey to please get on with explaining the S. M. S.'s next mission...

They'll be fighting under the U. N. World Peacekeeping Council. That's us! Alto is psyched to be making planetfall and wonders if Sheryl's good luck charm is actually giving him good luck.

But Ozma has to break the news to his little sister Ranka that he'll be deployed down on Earth for a while. She takes it well, but makes him promise to come back in one piece. Ozma tries forbidding her to bring home any boys while he's gone, but he realizes she's growing up and tells her to think about her future instead. Ranka thinks that she already is, and she knows what she wants to do... but Ozma won't like it. Because she wants to sing for the world like Sheryl.

Just like before, Elgan Roddick and Ohtsuka share notes on their respective teams, and plan to get them together into a new force that will change the world...

For what it's worth, in this path you get a Vernier Unit (+1 movement) and a Fire Bomber CD, but we'll be keeping neither.

We'll be jumping back to the other timeline now, because this is where both of them meet. That means we have every single unit from both of the more recent path splits (list forthcoming), and only twelve slots to deploy. Who's coming along?

• Trider G7
  • Shuttle
  • Gaia/Godmars
  • Cosmo Crusher
  • Wing Gundam
  • Gundam Deathscythe
  • Gundam Exia
  • Gundam Dynames
  • Gundam Kyrios
  • Gundam Virtue
  • Nova Eagle/Dancouga Nova
  • Getter Robo
  • Mazinger Z
  • Aphrodite A
  • Dai-Guard
  • Gurren-Lagann
  • VF-25F (Alto)
  • VF-25G (Michel)
  • RVF-25 (Luca)
  • VF-25S (Ozma)
  • Koenig Monster
  • Quadluun-Rea
  • Brasta

That's... way too many. Help! (If it helps, I can warn you that all the main characters (Crowe, Alto, Setsuna, Heero, Aoi, Simon, Agaki, Watta, Kouji, Ryoma, and Takeru) all have special dialogue.)

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Holy cow, it didn't even occur to me that this was a path split. And yeah, for those of you who vote, that means 9 units won't get to deploy. We jumped into the meat of the game quite fast.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Broken Loose posted:

Holy cow, it didn't even occur to me that this was a path split. And yeah, for those of you who vote, that means 9 units won't get to deploy. We jumped into the meat of the game quite fast.

And it's only going to get worse by far in regards to unit deployment. There's a reason why the Squad system was a thing, and by god I wish it'd stayed around for Z2.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Caphi posted:

That's... way too many. Help! (If it helps, I can warn you that all the main characters (Crowe, Alto, Setsuna, Heero, Aoi, Simon, Agaki, Watta, Kouji, Ryoma, and Takeru) all have special dialogue.)

I'm tempted to say "Let's deploy all of them then!", but I won't. Let's see now...

Brasta, the Gundams (Wing, Deathscythe, Exia, Dynames, Kyrios, Virtue), Alto, Michel, Ozma, Getter and Gurren-Lagann.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Caphi posted:

• Trider G7
  • Shuttle
  • Gaia/Godmars
  • Cosmo Crusher
  • Wing Gundam
  • Gundam Exia
  • Getter Robo
  • Dai-Guard
  • Koenig Monster
  • Quadluun-Rea
  • Brasta

Using the power of Arbitrary choices here is my list, removing 9 as Broken Loose said.
edit: Fixed, removing two that will probably get in anyway..

Senerio fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Oct 7, 2012

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
Broken Loose's math is a little off, you should actually be removing 11, not 9. At any rate, I vote for:
    Trider G7
    Gaia/Godmars
    Wing Gundam
    Gundam Exia
    Gundam Virtue
    Getter Robo
    Mazinger Z
    Dai-Guard
    Gurren-Lagann
    VF-25G (Michel)
    Koenig Monster
    Brasta

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
Trider G7
Gaia/Godmars
Shuttle
Wing Gundam
Gundam Deathscythe
Getter Robo
Mazinger Z
VF-25F (Alto)
VF-25G (Michel)
Dai-Guard
Gurren-Lagann
Brasta

Less 00, the better.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Mazinger Z
Gaia/Godmars
Getter Robo
Gurren-Lagann
Wing Gundam
Gundam Deathscythe
Dai-Guard
Brasta
Gundam Exia
Gundam Dynames
Nova Eagle/Dancouga Nova
VF-25F (Alto)

Boy is choosing going to be harder later on.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

God drat, Macross Quarter is huge. I love it's style, too. As someone who never managed to get around to seeing the various Macross shows, getting to see the big bad battleship strut its stuff was a real treat.

As for deployment...

Caphi posted:

• Trider G7
  • Shuttle
  • Gaia/Godmars
  • Cosmo Crusher
  • Wing Gundam
  • Gundam Deathscythe
  • Gundam Exia
  • Gundam Dynames
  • Gundam Kyrios
  • Gundam Virtue
  • Getter Robo
  • Mazinger Z
  • Aphrodite A
  • Dai-Guard
  • Gurren-Lagann
  • VF-25F (Alto)
  • VF-25G (Michel)
  • RVF-25 (Luca)
  • VF-25S (Ozma)
  • Koenig Monster
  • Quadluun-Rea
  • Brasta

That should cover a good balance.

TheBystander
Apr 28, 2011

Brunom1 posted:

Don't forget VOTOMS. Never forget VOTOMS... :colbert:

On that topic, I really want to watch VOTOMS after finishing this game, if just to understand what Chirico's deal is. Anyone know if there's a site where I can legally watch it online?

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
So many mechs, but...

Goldmars
Dai-Guard
Koeng Monster
For being two hilarious mechs and my favorite, and then random.org for the rest because I don't care.

Gundam Dynames
VF-25S (Ozma)
Gundam Exia
Gurren-Lagann
Gundam Virtue
Mazinger Z
RVF-25 (Luca)
Aphrodite A
Brasta

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

• Gaia/Godmars
  • Wing Gundam
  • Gundam Virtue
  • Gundam Exia
  • Gundam Dynames
  • Getter Robo
  • Mazinger Z
  • Dai-Guard
  • Gurren-Lagann
  • VF-25F (Alto)
  • Brasta

Also, ask for BGMs and ye shall receive them:

I don't really care much for the Macross Frontier story but it does have a top notch OST (not Macross 7-level but it's up there).

Also, Caph, if you'd like, I could gather the songs of the other units so you can use them. I already do that for W so it's no problem.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Brunom1 posted:

Also, ask for BGMs and ye shall receive them:

I don't really care much for the Macross Frontier story but it does have a top notch OST (not Macross 7-level but it's up there).

Also, Caph, if you'd like, I could gather the songs of the other units so you can use them. I already do that for W so it's no problem.

That'd be pretty sweet, thanks. If you upload them, I'll plant them in the topic header. Although for Macross (and other?) BGM linking purposes I try to find the original songs, rather than the SRW BGM versions.

e: Filled the filler post with the names, I'll add links to videos and stuff over time so you can take your time too.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Oct 7, 2012

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Brasta,Wing, Deathscythe, Exia, Dynames, Godmars, Virtue,Mazinger, Michel, Ozma, Getter and Gurren-Lagann.

I like this. Gundams and the coolest super robots.

That said, this part of the game is where I really started missing the squad system from Z. There's just so many units in both Z1 and Z2, but Z1 let you use most of them because you get 3 robots to each deployment slot. Definitely helps get some use out of grunts I like to use for character purposes. Not nearly enough space for that here - not nearly enough space to even make sure each series get a rep. And I can't imagine how bad it's going to get once ZEUTH shows up.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Oct 7, 2012

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Man there's a reason Z1 has the Squad system.

It's probably a good idea to cycle through units so they all see some use right now.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Caphi posted:

e: Filled the filler post with the names, I'll add links to videos and stuff over time so you can take your time too.

Ha! Don't worry about that. Taking the songs and uploading them took 15 minutes, at most. Off ya go:

*21st Century Defense Security Song*

*Dai-Guard's Theme Song - Back Alley Space Boy*

*Godmars' Theme Song - Prince of Space! Godmars!

*Godmars' second BGM - Pyramid of Love

*Trider's Theme*

*Dancouga Nova's Theme - Birdsong*

*Gundam 00 series' theme song - Daybreak's Bell*

*Gurren Lagann's theme song - Blue-Sky Days*

*Gundam Wing's first theme - Just Communication

*Gundam Wing's second theme - The Wings of the Boy that Killed Adolescence*

*Getter Robo's theme song - HEATS*

*VOTOMS' theme song - Blazing Destiny*

*Crowe's theme song - Close Game Life*

*Mazinger's Theme Song - Feel Like a Knight*

*Code Geass' first Theme Song - Previous Notice*

*Code Geass' second theme song - Colors*

*Macross Frontier Event BGM - Aimo*

*Damon's Theme (It's as boring as they are annoying!)*

*Eureka 7's first theme - A Man's Battle*

I don't think I missed anything that we've heard thus far but, if I did, lemme know and I'll put it up tomorrow.

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Oct 7, 2012

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
Mazinger Z
Gaia/Godmars
Getter Robo
Gurren-Lagann
Wing Gundam
Gundam Deathscythe
Dai-Guard
Brasta
Gundam Exia
Nova Eagle/Dancouga Nova
VF-25F (Alto)
VF-25S (Ozma)

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

quote:

Gundam Deathscythe
Gundam Exia
Gundam Virtue
Getter Robo
Mazinger Z
Aphrodite A
Dai-Guard
Gurren-Lagann
VF-25F (Alto)
VF-25S (Ozma)
Quadluun-Rea
Brasta

Here's my vote for the team. It'll be good to see the meat of the game again, even if I'm on my 4th run, I'm towards the end.

And if you think the Macross is big, it's called the Macross Quarter because it's 1/4 the size of the original Macross.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Hunter Noventa posted:

And if you think the Macross is big, it's called the Macross Quarter because it's 1/4 the size of the original Macross.

Does Battle Frontier get to come out and play before the series finally?

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Gaia/Godmars, Wing, Deathscythe, Dynames, Getter Robo, Mazinger Z, Aphrodite A, Dai-Guard, Gurren-Lagann, Alto, Ozma and the Brasta.

I was just going to vote for Dai-Guard, but eh what the hell might as well fill it all out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

At this point, based on recommendations from people's past playthroughs and just how cool Dai-Guard is on principle, I'm loathe to keep it out from any missions.

• Locked thread