Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

The father of a car accident victim hugging the drunk-driving teen, Takunda Mavima, who caused the crash.

Lauren See, the sister of the victim said this during the trial:

Lauren See posted:

I am begging you to let Takunda make something of himself in the real world -- don't send him to prison and get hard and bitter, that boy has learned his lesson a thousand times over and he'll never make the same mistake again.

quote:

I promised myself one thing that day. I promised myself I would not get angry.

Takunda received 30 months to fifteen years in prison.

Winklebottom fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Sep 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

200 years ago today Moscow burned and Napoleon retreated.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
BIG BLOOMBERG IS WATCHING YOU

(not really)

ChlamydiaJones
Sep 27, 2002

My Estonian riding instructor told me; "Mine munni ahvi türa imeja", and I live by that every day!
Ramrod XTreme
Scanned from Boys Own Paper Annual 1889-1890;

MoonTuna
Feb 11, 2011

by angerbot

Former Komen VP on Planned Parenthood controversy

http://video.msnbc.msn.com/mitchell-reports/49022043/#49022043

Komen controversy drags down San Francisco breast cancer walk participation,

SAN FRANCISCO -- The last time Alice Heiman participated in the Susan G. Komen walk in San Francisco to raise money for breast cancer, she gathered a group of friends and made a big trip from her home in Reno to support a cause close to her heart.

This year, though, nine months after the national organization sparked outrage when it refused to fund Planned Parenthood, she's ignoring donation requests that keep popping up in her inbox and has no plans for a return trip.

She's not alone. Just days before Sunday's 5k Race for the Cure along the Embarcadero in San Francisco, registration is down about 50 percent from last year. Donations to the local chapter are down as well, nearly 65 percent, to $76,000 so far this year compared with $212,000 at this time last year.

http://www.mercurynews.com/health/ci_21456373/komen-controversy-drags-down-san-francisco-breast-cancer

Karl Rove told Komen to back off Planned Parenthood, says Karen Handel

“We’re so sorry,” said Nancy. “We’re so sorry. But we just have to reverse course.” [...]

Nancy’s reply stunned me. “Karen, I’ve talked to a lot of people. And even Karl says we have to backtrack. There’s just no other way.”

“Karl? Who’s Karl?”

She looked at me strangely as if I should know exactly who she was talking about. She said, “Karl Rove!”

Donate to a better charity, because this one seems to full of back stabbing cat ladies. Apologies for using cat ladies, but on a scale from 1 to a 100, they have like 1000 cats.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSAGR0arBUo

Half naked boys sing about a Romney penis metaphor.

Also here's a picture

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Defenestration posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSAGR0arBUo

Half naked boys sing about a Romney penis metaphor.

Also here's a picture

"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they allow disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children now are tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers." -Socrates

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

Fluoride Jones
Aug 24, 2009

toot toot

I'm starting to think that the "liberal media" has entered the canon of cherished American myths like the American Dream and the Founding Fathers.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

az jan jananam posted:

Today is the 30th anniversary of the Sabra and Shatila massacre, where a rightwing Lebanese Christian militia, aided by the IDF, massacred thousands of Palestinian refugees and Lebanese in the camp.

"Never forget, 9/16/1982, the anniversary of the Sabra and Shatila Massacre"

Saw a documentary about Sabra and Shatila a couple of years ago, featuring interviews with both survivors and perpetrators. It's even online, with german subtitles. Couldn't find one with english subs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LJnHoJaI-0

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Well, he's got my vote.

Thankfully for us we have a :10bux: wall!

Darkman Fanpage fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Sep 17, 2012

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
It's the anniversary of the occupy protests. Post occupy pics.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

MUSLIM RAGE.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Aufzug Taube! posted:

MUSLIM RAGE.

are you loving kidding me

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Aufzug Taube! posted:

MUSLIM RAGE.

Welp, I haven't bought newsweek or time (one needs something to read at airports, ok?) in quite a while but this is hilariously lovely, even for them.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Wubbles
Oct 30, 2011

trucutru posted:

Welp, I haven't bought newsweek or time (one needs something to read at airports, ok?) in quite a while but this is hilariously lovely, even for them.

Is this stuff reflective of US readers' perceived interests or their actual interests?

Also, gently caress you, Fareed Zakaria.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

(Context: http://tinyurl.com/8b5r2lr)

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

twoday posted:

It's the anniversary of the occupy protests. Post occupy pics.

Are these available somewhere in high def?

edit:

Chitin fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Sep 17, 2012

twoday
May 4, 2005

Chitin posted:

Are these available somewhere in high def?

edit:

Those were the highest I could find, but I didn't look very hard. Put them into tineye and report back if you find any higher res. They were made by Fro, who also made these, which are for sale in a limited run of 100 signed and numbered prints:

It almost makes me think a goon is behind those.

Fro didn't make this, but I found it in this gallery of occupy posters and I like it:

Edit:
Man, I am totally digging this Fro stuff, I might have to order one.

More Fro artwork (that is vaguely political):

twoday fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Sep 17, 2012

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

All those posters are great.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Some random propaganda:
"Study the Soviet Union to advance to world-class levels of science"

"Every bullet in a German!"

"Links of the same chain. Thousands of Arab patriots languish without trial in Israeli prisons and concentration camps"

"The worker in the empire of the swastika"

also, Trotsky's hat! I want one :swoon:

bearic
Apr 14, 2004

john brown split this heart

Highspeeddub posted:

All those posters are great.

For those who don't know, it was actually Mayakovsky (poet/play write/actor/scriptwriter/artist/director/etc...) who did this poster.

He did hundreds and hundreds of AgitProp posters from (I think) 1919-1921 for the ОКНА РОСТА project.

Costume and set designs for his revolutionary [play (in the sense that it portrayed the Revolution on a cosmic scale, where the workers go through the Flood, Hell, Heaven, Chaos, and finally to the workers' paradise) Mystery-Buff (Мистерия-буфф)

AgitProp train rollin' through the village to educate some peasants:

And of course, Stalin wearing a budyonovka

Dude was an original Revolutionary and was literally a card-carrying Bolshevik since the age of 16, but was nothing short of terrorized by the October (Октябрь) writer's union (which later became RAPP) for social parasitism, being a fellow traveler, and all of those other nasty things. If you are at all interested in the Soviet Union and haven't read his stuff (both his early revolutionary stuff and The Bedbug), do so immediately. Also, Lenin hated him and Stalin pretended to love him (after he killed himself or, if you believe the conspiracy theories, "killed himself")

bearic fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Sep 18, 2012

Weldon Pemberton
May 19, 2012

MoonTuna posted:

Komen junk

Adding some stuff to this, everyone should read Barbara Ehrenreich's Welcome to Cancerland:

Barbara Ehrenreich posted:

If you can't run, bike, or climb a mountain for the cure -- all of which endeavors are routine beneficiaries of corporate sponsorship -- you can always purchase one of the many products with a breast cancer theme. There are 2.2 million American women in various stages of their breast-cancer careers, who, along with anxious relatives, make up a significant market for all things breast-cancer-related. Bears, for example: I have identified four distinct lines, or species, of these creatures, including "Carol," the Remembrance Bear; "Hope," the Breast Cancer Research Bear, which wears a pink turban as if to conceal chemotherapy-induced baldness; the "Susan Bear," named for Nancy Brinker's deceased sister, Susan; and the new Nick & Nora Wish Upon a Star Bear, available, along with the Susan Bear, at the Komen Foundation website's "marketplace."

And bears are only the tip, so to speak, of the cornucopia of pink-ribbon-themed breast-cancer products. You can dress in pink-beribboned sweatshirts, denim shirts, pajamas, lingerie, aprons, loungewear, shoelaces, and socks; accessorize with pink rhinestone brooches, angel pins, scarves, caps, earrings, and bracelets; brighten up your home with breast-cancer candles, stained-glass pink-ribbon candleholders, coffee mugs, pendants, wind chimes, and night-lights; pay your bills with special BreastChecks or a separate line of Checks for the Cure. "Awareness" beats secrecy and stigma of course, but I can't help noticing that the existential space in which a friend has earnestly advised me to "confront [my] mortality" bears a striking resemblance to the mall.

This perfume was "raising a stink" (ha, ha) because it contained ingredients that are suspected or known carcinogens:

KomenWatch is another good source for explaining problems with the Susan G. Komen Foundation and similar organizations.

Some photos of protestors around the time of the PP controversy (some might be from prior attacks on PP around the time of the James O'Keefe faked videos, I'm not sure):

A pro-choice protestor and pro-life woman arguing:

The frontpage after being hacked by feminists:

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Winklebottom posted:

Takunda received 30 months to fifteen years in prison.

That seems like a rather wide range of time, 2 1/2 to 15 years - wonder why it's so open ended; has he actually been sentenced yet?

Wubbles posted:

Also, gently caress you, Fareed Zakaria.

Is there something in particular he wrote recently, or do you just dislike him categorically? Whenever I've seen him interviewed, or read his pieces he comes across as reasonably well thought out and non-ideological.

Fluoride Jones
Aug 24, 2009

toot toot

Accompanying video

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46PXaJxzuDE

Winnipeg General Strike.

MoonTuna
Feb 11, 2011

by angerbot

Weldon Pemberton posted:

more komen junk.

Although Adams knew that Komen spends a large fraction of its revenue on raising awareness of breast cancer and promoting screening, she said that the much smaller amount that goes to finding a cure "is definitely a concern; 15 percent is shockingly small."

The organization's 2011 financial statement reports that 43 percent of donations were spent on education, 18 percent on fund-raising and administration, 15 percent on research awards and grants, 12 percent on screening and 5 percent on treatment. (Various other items accounted for the rest.)

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/02/08/us-usa-healthcare-komen-research-idUSTRE8171KW20120208

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Weldon Pemberton posted:

Adding some stuff to this, everyone should read Barbara Ehrenreich's Welcome to Cancerland:

just read her wikipedia. she was born in Butte, MT lol

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

vegaji posted:

And of course, Stalin wearing a budyonovka

Semyon Budyonny, from which the budyonovka got its name sake, was a close personal ally of Stalin's and owner of a killer mustache. A renowned horse breeder, there's also a breed of horse named after him that he developed in the 1920s, the Budyonny horse.

Darkman Fanpage fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Sep 18, 2012

Wubbles
Oct 30, 2011

Broken Machine posted:

Is there something in particular he wrote recently, or do you just dislike him categorically? Whenever I've seen him interviewed, or read his pieces he comes across as reasonably well thought out and non-ideological.

He's the author of that xenophobic Newsweek article about "Muslim Rage" above my post. Considering he's so well-respected, his association with the article probably put way more weight behind its message than it would have had otherwise.

Wubbles fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Sep 18, 2012

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Wubbles posted:

He's the author of that xenophobic Newsweek article about "Muslim Rage" above my post. Considering he's so well-respected, his association with the article probably put way more weight behind its message than it would have had otherwise.

That particular article is pretty clearly written by Ayaan Hirsi Ali and also I'm not surprised you forgot one of these:

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.

Disco, but not jazz?

:japan:

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Both from Germany. Ah, those germans...

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

Took this almost four years ago at a restaurant in the Netherlands. It is deserts with themes from different regions and America's?

Obama's favorite- Chocolate souffle with vanilla ice cream.

Edit-Sweden's desert is "For those who can't/won't chose"

Ralph Crammed In fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Sep 18, 2012

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?

midnightclimax posted:

Saw a documentary about Sabra and Shatila a couple of years ago, featuring interviews with both survivors and perpetrators. It's even online, with german subtitles. Couldn't find one with english subs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LJnHoJaI-0
At least Waltz with Bashir has English subtitles.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

This is a cat. Simpson/Bowles means my grandparents get to ask him what recommendations he has for food.

After today's/tonight's gently caress You, Mitt Romney bonanza, I'm looking forward to the week's back and forth. I'm hoping it forces Romney out of his comfort pocket and causes him to haul off and just start swearing at reporters hard core, like a sailor on dust, in the middle of a press conference.

I know there's a hard floor for his support and that floor is probably at least 30% but I love to see someone like Mitt get whacked over and over.

This is a cat. Romney would like one fed to him.

This is the logo from a shirt my girlfriend bought me. http://store.dieselsweeties.com/products/joe-biden-fan-club-shirt

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Sep 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twoday
May 4, 2005

• Locked thread