Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Corvettefisher posted:

Can't say I am annoyed by the sound of a 1u but if worst comes to worst I place them in my bedroom and close the door and work from another room or my balcony.

Then you have to shut it down to sleep. I don't see the advantage of a 1U box over a tower with some nice 120mm fans in a home setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Corvettefisher posted:

Can't say I am annoyed by the sound of a 1u but if worst comes to worst I place them in my bedroom and close the door and work from another room or my balcony.

Yeah, Dell dropped AMD from the 12th gen line up, and hp is sticking with them. I don't know if it is just a coincidence but I have seen alot of VDI boxes use amd.

On a budget I could see AMD working out well for for some VDI, but I have never used AMD's server chips, so what do I know. They have 16 core chips for a little over $500 on Newegg. It would be interesting to see a whitepaper comparing the two with lots of small workloads like VDI.

And why do you want a 1u box at your house (unless you have a basement and a rack, which I would love)? For my home setup I would rather have something that isn't an eye/ear sore. I went with mini-itx, but for a little more expandability I would go micro-atx. With my setup I can only run 16gb of memory, and only have room for 1 PCI-e card. Currently I have a quad gb intel NIC, but as I expand my storage, will have to replace it with a SAS card (onboard only has 4 sata ports).

A case like this, just clip the power to the LEDs.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112300

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Moey posted:

And why do you want a 1u box at your house (unless you have a basement and a rack, which I would love)? For my home setup I would rather have something that isn't an eye/ear sore. I went with mini-itx, but for a little more expandability I would go micro-atx. With my setup I can only run 16gb of memory, and only have room for 1 PCI-e card. Currently I have a quad gb intel NIC, but as I expand my storage, will have to replace it with a SAS card (onboard only has 4 sata ports).

A case like this, just clip the power to the LEDs.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112300
Cheapest barebone server on newegg, lackrack-able, I already have a x6, 32GB ram, 256GB SSD, 2TB HDD. Going for those boxes as they are the cheapest on newegg and I really could care less of the noise. I could just move the VM's to my desktop for the night and power down the servers and wake them when I need to.

Just realized my desktop is amd so that could case an issue with vmotioning me thinks. Might just get some 2950's actually, they seem more cost effective. Good thing I don't pay for electric at my apartment.

sanchez posted:

Then you have to shut it down to sleep. I don't see the advantage of a 1U box over a tower with some nice 120mm fans in a home setup.

Better make sure they support DPM then v:v:v.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Sep 18, 2012

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Corvettefisher posted:

Depends on what 1U it is. Let's look in our 'server room', we had a ceiling put on it because of the two screamers we have in there. Now it gets hot as gently caress in there.

Here's the little guy, a Dell R200 - he's not very loud at all. Loud rear end fucker #1 is just below him.

I virtualized the R200 onto one of the the loud-rear end fuckers, then I stuck the hard drive from the Poweredge 1900 into the R200. Reduced the room temperature by about 5 degrees, going from dual Netburst Xeons to a C2D. Also made it twice as fast.

Corvettefisher posted:

Yeah, Dell dropped AMD from the 12th gen line up, and hp is sticking with them. I don't know if it is just a coincidence but I have seen alot of VDI boxes use amd.

I also remember Facebook saying something like Intel was faster but they could fit more RAM in the AMD boxes or something because they had more slots. Quad-magny cours?

I also want to say there were articles about how AMD was more power-efficient at some point too. But everything I've read since shows Intel being at the top of performance/watt.

echo465
Jun 3, 2007
I like ice cream
Anyone using VMware View?

I'm using View 5.1 with a floating pool of Win7/32 desktops and PCoIP zero clients. Printers are deployed to users with the Windows print management console. The printers show up fine, users can print to them, but if they set their default printer to one of the deployed printers, it resets to the Microsoft XPS printer on their next logon.

How do I get it to keep the network printer as the default printer?

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail
I feel like this might be the best thread for this.

So we're backing up a few VMs at a remote site using ghettovcb with mksbackup that then get rsync'd here. The problem we're having is that the vmdks ghettovcb creates are locked down to full control on the root user only and read/exec on everything else. Running rsync without using the root account throws up a permissions denied error when trying to copy the files.

I know this can be averted by manually giving rsync ownership of the files, but even a cron job to do that seems sloppy. I've tried sticking umask, chmod, chowns into the ghettovcb script at various places to no avail. (umask 0000 will work for the directory, but the individual vmdks remain locked down). So am I just dumb and putting those commands in the wrong places or can this flat out not be done like this and do I need to run rsync as the root user?

e: Nevermind I finally got it right and forgot to check the files before this post.

Master Stur fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Sep 19, 2012

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

echo465 posted:

I'm using View 5.1 with a floating pool of Win7/32 desktops and PCoIP zero clients. Printers are deployed to users with the Windows print management console. The printers show up fine, users can print to them, but if they set their default printer to one of the deployed printers, it resets to the Microsoft XPS printer on their next logon.

I can't say I have heard this issue before but only thing that comes to mind is the default GPO is somehow being reapplied and reset back to the XPS. Ofcourse this would probably change more than just the printer anyway.

Wow I can't believe I just found this out...
http://www.veeam.com/virtual-machine-backup-solution-free.html
Might help some people here

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Sep 18, 2012

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Corvettefisher posted:

Welcome to the suck!

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Maneki Neko posted:

Welcome to the suck!

Huh?

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005

Corvettefisher posted:

I just found out that they don't "officially" support Free ESXi either. As of 5.1 it wont work at all because Vmware has removed all of the backup API's from the free version.

Fuckers.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Wicaeed posted:

As of 5.1 it wont work at all because Vmware has removed all of the backup API's from the free version.
They're doing their very best to make hyper-v popular.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Yeah but is 560 MSRP for the essentials kit really that bad? I mean you get VUM and vCenter + licencing for 3 hosts.

warning
Feb 4, 2004

ZZ Pops is all about hugs and high fives.

echo465 posted:

What are you using for user state persistence?

Roaming profiles? Persona management?

echo465
Jun 3, 2007
I like ice cream

warning posted:

What are you using for user state persistence?

Roaming profiles? Persona management?
Persona management. There's a group policy setting to roam the 'printer neighborhood' (Computer Configuration / Policies / Administrative Templates / Classic / VMware View Agent Configuration / Persona Management / Folder Redirection / Printer Neighborhood), but although it created a new folder for my test user, it still failed to keep the default printer setting.

echo465 fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Sep 19, 2012

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005

Corvettefisher posted:

Yeah but is 560 MSRP for the essentials kit really that bad? I mean you get VUM and vCenter + licencing for 3 hosts.

Wait it's only 560 bucks? :psyduck:

Why was I under the impression it was ~5 grand for the Essentials kit? Holy gently caress we could have upgraded MONTHS ago :suicide:

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Wicaeed posted:

Wait it's only 560 bucks? :psyduck:

Why was I under the impression it was ~5 grand for the Essentials kit? Holy gently caress we could have upgraded MONTHS ago :suicide:

Essentials PLUS is 5 grand, that gets you the vmotion and HA
http://store.vmware.com/store/vmware/en_US/DisplayProductDetailsPage/productID.233860600?resid=UFoBZAoBAlkAABEFtT8AAABo&rests=1348075876336
I am sure a reseller will have it a little cheaper.

Nice little matrix here, with pricing at the bottom

Also anyone running 5.1 on Windows Server 2012? I realize quite a few companies in my area have expressed that they are skipping the 2012/8 lineup and staying with 2008 r2. Will post results.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Seriously, gently caress VMwares licensing department. I have one license can't be moved and another can't be upgrade, and support has a very lax interpretation of how long an hour is. Hi I've paid you a boatload, please fix this.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005

Corvettefisher posted:

Essentials PLUS is 5 grand, that gets you the vmotion and HA
http://store.vmware.com/store/vmware/en_US/DisplayProductDetailsPage/productID.233860600?resid=UFoBZAoBAlkAABEFtT8AAABo&rests=1348075876336
I am sure a reseller will have it a little cheaper.

Nice little matrix here, with pricing at the bottom

Also anyone running 5.1 on Windows Server 2012? I realize quite a few companies in my area have expressed that they are skipping the 2012/8 lineup and staying with 2008 r2. Will post results.

Wait so Essentials doesn't include vMotion? Haha gently caress that noise. Does it still allow you to one click-xfer offline vm's to another host or is it all manual?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Wicaeed posted:

Wait so Essentials doesn't include vMotion? Haha gently caress that noise. Does it still allow you to one click-xfer offline vm's to another host or is it all manual?

Not sure really, I don't know anyone who uses essentails, most I know are essentails plus, standard, or enterprise plus.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Wicaeed posted:

Wait so Essentials doesn't include vMotion? Haha gently caress that noise. Does it still allow you to one click-xfer offline vm's to another host?

yes. vMotion is the term for a live migration, not an offline migration. You have always been able to migrate offline machines.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

VMware posted:

All arrays perform differently, however DAVG/cmd, KAVG/cmd, and GAVG/cmd should not exceed more than 10 milliseconds (ms) for sustained periods of time.

What qualifies as a "sustained period" to you? I have iSCSI datastores with DAVG/cmd regularly spiking to >100ms for periods of a few seconds (with some rarer spikes up to 200-400ms), but because there's no errors in vmkernel.log VMware support doesn't view this as a problem. Latency on the array is pretty sane, 5-15ms all the time.

Am I being paranoid?

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Wicaeed posted:

Eh if I was looking to build a basic VMWare cluster vMotion is a "Nice to have" not a necessity.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Mierdaan posted:

What qualifies as a "sustained period" to you? I have iSCSI datastores with DAVG/cmd regularly spiking to >100ms for periods of a few seconds (with some rarer spikes up to 200-400ms), but because there's no errors in vmkernel.log VMware support doesn't view this as a problem. Latency on the array is pretty sane, 5-15ms all the time.

Am I being paranoid?

I wouldn't call that paranoia, but it probably is annoying to see on the performance charts. Are any servers, users, or programs complaining about the spike?

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
No, but we're a pretty sleepy shop - like 30 VMs averaging 150-200 total IOPS. My concern is that we're looking at virtualizing Exchange 2010 and starting a View pilot, and I don't want to run into problems later.

BelDin
Jan 29, 2001

echo465 posted:

What is the pool behavior for logoff? I bet it is set to refresh....

We had to set ours to never with 4.6 or it would change back settings like printers on refresh. Haven't been able to get a 5.x test up yet.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole
Try disabling the ThinPrint services (if you don't use them).

echo465
Jun 3, 2007
I like ice cream

BelDin posted:

What is the pool behavior for logoff? I bet it is set to refresh....

We had to set ours to never with 4.6 or it would change back settings like printers on refresh. Haven't been able to get a 5.x test up yet.
Yeah, it's either that, or it's set to nuke the machine after logoff. This blows, now I'm looking at doing a logoff script to save the default printer and a logon script to put it back.

three posted:

Try disabling the ThinPrint services (if you don't use them).
I might end up doing just that. I need to figure out what all that affects first though.

echo465 fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Sep 20, 2012

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Corvettefisher posted:

I know the backup API calls are disappearing (though I might be able to use it due to running an older version of ESXi). Are there any other pieces of useful free software for managing VMs that I should know about?

e: I've been running ESXi for quite some time now. I couldn't actually imagine not having a server running VMs at home. I didn't know that I'd find it this useful.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

So apparently Apple's 10.8.2 update breaks VirtualBox on Mac laptops.

Good thing I'm still on Lion at work :smug:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4311118?start=0&tstart=0

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Anyone else running SQL 2012 for their vCenter DB? I am doing it in a lab and getting nothing but errors, even using the sql script. Maybe that is why it is not supported

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

So apparently Apple's 10.8.2 update breaks VirtualBox on Mac laptops.

Good thing I'm still on Lion at work :smug:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4311118?start=0&tstart=0

Wow, that's going to seriously suck for basically everyone that relies on Vagrant to do devops stuff.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Does anyone have a good recommendation for a book on VMware View?

I think I finally broke through to my boss that adding host after host and licensing with ESXi to run individual VMs for users to connect to is possible the most inefficient way to do desktop virtualization. Not only is it a waste of physical resources, licensing isn't free either.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Moey posted:

I think I finally broke through to my boss that adding host after host and licensing with ESXi to run individual VMs for users to connect to is possible the most inefficient way to do desktop virtualization. Not only is it a waste of physical resources, licensing isn't free either.

http://www.amazon.com/VMware-View-Desktop-Virtualization-Solutions/dp/1849681120

I have this, amazingly good. Using it for my VCP5-DT

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

luminalflux posted:

Wow, that's going to seriously suck for basically everyone that relies on Vagrant to do devops stuff.

Solution 1: Use Parallels or VMware
Solution 2: Don't upgrade your work machine the day an OS update comes out

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

Bob Morales posted:

Solution 2 is good advice even with VMware. We have been hit with some Apple bugs in the past as well.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

Vagrant is still unfortunately Vbox-only, but work is underway to allow other hypervisors.

I generally never use .0 releases of OSes

Pantology
Jan 16, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Moey posted:

The Evaluator's Guide is a good introduction:

http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/view/VMware-View-Evaluators-Guide.pdf

Pantology
Jan 16, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

I don't recall that book spending half its page count on Kiosk Mode configuration, so I'm not sure it's going to help you much.

VCP-DT is a silly, silly test.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
^I'll look more into that area.

Installing vCenter 5.1 causes it to blow up in my face constantly, either the service won't start or if it starts runs for about 5 seconds and crashes. Anyone else have any luck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Corvettefisher posted:

^I'll look more into that area.

Installing vCenter 5.1 causes it to blow up in my face constantly, either the service won't start or if it starts runs for about 5 seconds and crashes. Anyone else have any luck?

I was actually going to test that today on a smaller cluster. Are you doing a new install or upgrading? If upgrading, from what?