Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Borous is definitely a monster, but he's too funny for me to get mad at. FWOOOOSH! That is the sound of FLUSHING!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

That DICK! posted:

It was fun hearing Liquid Snake in a straight up comical role. Especially when I got through the prologue and it ends with Mobious saying something "They had been asking the wrong question..." and it sounds exactly like Liquid Snake.

Wait who did Cam Clarke voice in Old World Blues?

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

wtftastic posted:

Wait who did Cam Clarke voice in Old World Blues?

Mobius!

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Oh my god- now that you say that it makes sense. I didn't know he had such uh range in terms of voice acting.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Did a Yes Man playthrough with all DLC, mostly melee/science with no speech. Second time through after a completionist NCR run prior to any of the DLC coming out. I think I'm done with any Fallout/Elder Scrolls games for a while. I was quite surprised with how overpowered melee is. With the knockdown perks and Super Sledges you can get as soon as you start to encounter Legion troops (and then Oh Yeah! from Jacobstown mission) you just tear through enemies. I was only troubled by multiple Deathclaws and Legendary Bloatfly. You've got axes in OWB and Honest Hearts and rebar clubs in Lonesome Road too.

I don't think any of the DLC was up to the standard of Point Lookout, but as a whole the DLC was better than Fallout 3's (Operation Anchorage wasn't very good, Pitt was okay and Mothership Zeta was a chore). Old World Blues in particular was well done, lots of content and great voice acting. Lonesome Road's environments looked great too.

I'll spoiler this just in case, it's regarding NCR and siding with Yes Man.

I would have liked another option for an independant New Vegas that was more amicable with the NCR. It's either kick them out of or have them annex the whole Mojave, no compromise.

Take Mass Effect for example, the first game has a very big binary decision, but all the other personal conflicts in the game can be resolved without having to take a side if you go the extra effort to build your alignment, do missions for people and choose carefully.

Pocket Billiards fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Sep 18, 2012

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Teen Hero Greg posted:

Borous is definitely a monster, but he's too funny for me to get mad at. FWOOOOSH! That is the sound of FLUSHING!

I got choked up when Borous started talking about Gabe. I felt really bad for killing him. :qq:

CommonSensei
Apr 3, 2011

kingturnip posted:

This mod is what you're after. You do end up feeling a bit like an ARPG Summoner, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

I just started a game with this mod. It's a fun mod. I basically felt like the TF2 Engineer with the Mister Handy as my (mobile) sentry in IWS-fueled Primm, in a good way. That character is going to be a gimmick run doing nothing but taking the mod's perks first and not putting a single point in weapon skills.

That same playthrough is using the Freeside Open (as well as The Open Strip), and I came across the full version of the "bosses' meeting" in the Silver Rush. Pretty awesome and gives a full context to the dude who gets disintegrated and more characterization for Gloria and Jean-Baptiste.

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

Pocket Billiards, I think the point is that the NCR doesn't want a compromise. They want all or nothing. The only reason they compromise with Mr. House is because they're too busy dealing with Caesar.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Someone mentioned a mod earlier that makes it so companions work more like they did in FO2, where the amount of pals you could have is affected by Charisma and their abilities are slightly toned down or whatever. Anyone have a link to that? I'd ask in the mod thread but I feel like it's a question that will have been asked there a million times and it doesn't appear in the OP.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Once Caesar's legion is gone, the NCR doesn't need to waste their time bargaining with some maniac in the Lucky 38, and they're going to take all that firepower that went into defending the dam and turn it on you.

CommonSensei
Apr 3, 2011

That DICK! posted:

Someone mentioned a mod earlier that makes it so companions work more like they did in FO2, where the amount of pals you could have is affected by Charisma and their abilities are slightly toned down or whatever. Anyone have a link to that? I'd ask in the mod thread but I feel like it's a question that will have been asked there a million times and it doesn't appear in the OP.

I think this might be it, made by the forums' own Cirosan:

http://ooccommunity.com/media/gamemods/cirosans-classic-overhaul/

EDIT: Keep in mind there are other changes made to the game within.

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

:dukedog:
I'm almost done with my first run of the game (I beat it with NCR before I played through the DLC, but drat Yes Man is awesome so just kidding NCR I'm independent now) and I'm going to do my next playthrough on hardcore. Due to my limited game time, I don't want a ball kicking experience, just a different one so I'm thinking about cranking the difficulty down to very easy. Does the difficulty just affect how much damage it takes to kill enemies? Does hardcore mode affect the amount of damage I can take in any way?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Difficulty is straight-up more damage/less damage for both you and the enemies.

Also you really won't need to adjust your difficulty very much for Hardcore, trust me. The only change that directly affects combat difficulty is how stimpaks work.

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Difficulty is straight-up more damage/less damage for both you and the enemies.

Also you really won't need to adjust your difficulty very much for Hardcore, trust me. The only change that directly affects combat difficulty is how stimpaks work.

Cool, I may stick with normal then. Thanks.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Stick with normal / hardcore. I almost did the same thing but now I'm popping people like ballons at 16 with no troubles.

The only thing that I'm irritated about in hardcore is at the Seirra Madre (what iwth taking constant damage outside and not just in clouds), but the whole idea of a bunch of lovely environmental hazards is pretty terrible to start with. Even then it is more annoying than dangerous.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Pocket Billiards posted:

I'll spoiler this just in case, it's regarding NCR and siding with Yes Man.

I would have liked another option for an independant New Vegas that was more amicable with the NCR. It's either kick them out of or have them annex the whole Mojave, no compromise.

Take Mass Effect for example, the first game has a very big binary decision, but all the other personal conflicts in the game can be resolved without having to take a side if you go the extra effort to build your alignment, do missions for people and choose carefully.

Well, I've said it before, but the Yes Man ending is necessarily vague. You could be an evil psycho-druggie raider and side with Yes Man, and you could be an idealistic humanist who's been working to make life better for everyone. A Fiend or a Follower. Both characters would have good reasons to chose Yes Man, and both characters would leave a very different New Vegas.

It would have been nice, but probably unrealistic to have half a dozen Yes Man slides that said exactly what happened depending on your character. You kind of have to use your imagination to fill in the blanks.

I'm pretty sure my pro-NCR courier who was idolized by the Republic, but ultimately sided with Yes Man eventually built up better ties with the NCR.

Though I was disappointed you couldn't do a pro-NCR run and activate the Securitrons... and then give them to the NCR. I know the Legion explicitly didn't want to use them, but the NCR shouldn't have any qualms about drafting a robot army.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Once Caesar's legion is gone, the NCR doesn't need to waste their time bargaining with some maniac in the Lucky 38, and they're going to take all that firepower that went into defending the dam and turn it on you.
Nah, it's more complicated than that. The NCR obviously doesn't trust anything but the NCR, but if you throw them out of the Mojave with your army of robots, then it's likely that'll be as big a blow to the morale of the imperialist factions as anything. They've invested so much in the Mojave, and all they got for it is a not-Legion Mojave.

If you were a pro-NCR courier, your New Vegas probably establishes a new contract to sell the energy from the dam to the NCR. So even if they don't trust you, they're getting what they want. It's quite likely that the public's stomach for war would weaken, and the establishment would make do with your control of the region.

This is, incidentally, how it goes in the House ending. House always planned on having a good relationship with the NCR- a nation of advanced consumers to drive his economy. He needed them, and had a plan to stay on their good side.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Dead Money is horse poo poo jesus loving christ.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

DamnGlitch posted:

Dead Money is horse poo poo jesus loving christ.

It's the most polarizing DLC. I love it because of the atmosphere, writing, and the tension, others hate it because of the bullshit speakers and holograms. Regardless of whether you like it or hate it, the reward you get at the end is well worth the pain and frustration.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Acebuckeye13 posted:

It's the most polarizing DLC. I love it because of the atmosphere, writing, and the tension, others hate it because of the bullshit speakers and holograms. Regardless of whether you like it or hate it, the reward you get at the end is well worth the pain and frustration.

The gold bars?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

SlothfulCobra posted:

And here's a picture I found on the wiki of the think tank pre-brains. Dala, O, Borous, Klein, 8, Mobius
Yeah Dr.0 looks exactly like James Urbaniak

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Acebuckeye13 posted:

The fact that it's over?

Kidding, of course. I hated dead money but the plot info at the end was fantastic and the gold bars own.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Is Logan's Loophole really that good? Capping my dude sounds terrible.

On the other hand, I love Chemist, and given how it stacks, it'd be hilarious to have 60-second long Turbo boosts...

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Pocket Billiards posted:

The gold bars?

Dude, infinite stimpacks and .308 rounds.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The capping isn't that much of a problem because after level 30 scaling makes enemies into bullet sponges and it's annoying as hell.

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

I took Logan's Loophole specifically so I could cap my level. Even at level 20 I had maxed out all of my most important skills. I'd be ridiculous by level 50. :psyduck:

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Roobanguy posted:

Dude, infinite stimpacks and .308 rounds.

Where the stimpacks from the dispensers? I think I missed the recipe for it, I found the super stimpack one.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The file is on the desk in the medical clinic and super easy to miss.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Eiba posted:

Nah, it's more complicated than that. The NCR obviously doesn't trust anything but the NCR, but if you throw them out of the Mojave with your army of robots, then it's likely that'll be as big a blow to the morale of the imperialist factions as anything. They've invested so much in the Mojave, and all they got for it is a not-Legion Mojave.

If you were a pro-NCR courier, your New Vegas probably establishes a new contract to sell the energy from the dam to the NCR. So even if they don't trust you, they're getting what they want. It's quite likely that the public's stomach for war would weaken, and the establishment would make do with your control of the region.

This is, incidentally, how it goes in the House ending. House always planned on having a good relationship with the NCR- a nation of advanced consumers to drive his economy. He needed them, and had a plan to stay on their good side.

The NCR would still resent being sold the dam's power, because you'd have kicked them off of the dam to take it for yourself. Many NCR officials make it very clear that they feel like they're already getting screwed over by New Vegas, since the gambling is just siphoning money away from the NCR for nothing in return.

Not to mention how Kimball and Oliver are so bent on making new conquests for the NCR. According to House's projections, they need to take the Mojave or else they'll be kicked out on their asses for wasting away the NCR's resources with nothing to show for it. They're basically Julius Caesar, and the Mojave is Gaul. There's no way that they'll just agree to leave New Vegas independent unless you force them out.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Acebuckeye13 posted:

The writing is pretty drat good, but gently caress this scenario. "Oh I got past all that bullshit in the streets time for... oh boy, holograms AND speakers!"

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Dead Money deals with obsession, and it's pretty great how they managed to tie that theme into the gameplay itself. Over time, you see everything as a potential death trap and literally become obsessed with the environment you're in and how to progress.

I think Dead Money is one of my favorite pieces of DLC ever because it has no problems with completely screwing you over to make a point. I kind of feel the somewhat negative reaction to it lessened how great the other DLC could have been since they tried something new and most people didn't like it.

When I finished it and got back to the Wasteland with that message on the radio playing it was a true :smith: moment. I feel that anyone who exploited certain mechanics to get all the gold had severely missed the point of the entire thing.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

Line Feed posted:

I took Logan's Loophole specifically so I could cap my level. Even at level 20 I had maxed out all of my most important skills. I'd be ridiculous by level 50. :psyduck:

My playthrough is at 48 at the moment, and 49 will have me maxed in every single skill. Cool in some respects, overkill in others.

And I'm only halfway through Lonesome Road; still have to save Kimball, clean out one of the vaults I forgot about last time, and do Arcade's personal quest. No doubt tons of other little quests I've missed. Next time I think I'll try to nerf the experience and skill point gathering a little.

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

The holograms pissed me off at first until I figured out how to send them to other locations and explode their transmitters. I think I would have liked the radios better if they had all been destroyable.

I really enjoyed it more than I expected because I thought it would be more linear like Operation Anchorage.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
The real reward is the Bear Trap Fist. Make your enemies feel the pain you've experienced stumbling onto the loving things constantly in Dead Money.

Actually going through it again on another character right now, might be my third or fourth time. I hated it the first time but it's actually grown on me because it presents a lot of challenges you can't just blast your way through. And I'm still finding new stuff in the nooks and crannies. And I started it at level one :shepface:

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

The NCR would still resent being sold the dam's power, because you'd have kicked them off of the dam to take it for yourself. Many NCR officials make it very clear that they feel like they're already getting screwed over by New Vegas, since the gambling is just siphoning money away from the NCR for nothing in return.

Not to mention how Kimball and Oliver are so bent on making new conquests for the NCR. According to House's projections, they need to take the Mojave or else they'll be kicked out on their asses for wasting away the NCR's resources with nothing to show for it. They're basically Julius Caesar, and the Mojave is Gaul. There's no way that they'll just agree to leave New Vegas independent unless you force them out.
This is all more or less true, but the issue is, the NCR is a democracy. Kimball would be voted out. But the thing is, they already lost. They're already on their way out.

Keep in mind that after the costly Second Battle of Hoover Dam, the NCR was in a position where they were unable to fight the securitron army that showed up out of nowhere. They already withdrew, with all the terrible political implications that has for the Kimball administration.

The NCR would have to plan and wage an entirely new campaign to retake the Mojave, and considering the protracted unpopular nature of the previous campaign, and the state of the NCR army in comparison to the securitron army, I don't think the NCR would have either the will or the ability to wage another campaign any time soon.

Given that a more pacifistic government is likely to take over after Kimball is voted out, there's plenty of time for positive relations to develop between New Vegas and the NCR.

I'm sure jingoists in the NCR will try to make an issue of it sooner or later, and the NCR would indeed be a huge threat to the new little city state of New Vegas, but war would be far from inevitable.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
At the very least, the political upheaval in the NCR would buy time for Mr. House to consolidate his rule over Vegas and strengthen himself both militarily, politically and economically.

What's that? You didn't side with Mr. House? Sucks to be you :smug:

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Why the gently caress would you side with Mr. House when you can be him?

Still one of my favorite moments of the game when you destroy Caesar's Legion then when the NCR arrive to congratulate you, you tell them to go gently caress themselves and to "Turn around".

Hundreds of robots as far as the eye can see :smug:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Saint Sputnik posted:

The real reward is the Bear Trap Fist. Make your enemies feel the pain you've experienced stumbling onto the loving things constantly in Dead Money.

This is the weird thing about Dead Money. They go to great pains in the terminals and diaries to explain most every environmental element that you encounter- two different contractors built the casino and the villa so the former held up better, they bought way too many steak knives so that's how the Ghost People are armed, and so on- and then make no mention whatsoever of the eighty thousand bear traps placed next to every container and in the middle of every floor.

Also the reward for Dead Money is not the gold. It is the Automatic Rifle. That gun is a barrel of laughs. Although mine is better than most people's because in my quest to fix the GRA Assault Carbine I got a bit carried away and downloaded an additional fan patch that put it under the Grunt perk.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

rotinaj posted:

I reloaded an older save, managed to bump my Science up with Dr. Mobius's labcoat and a Science magazine and passed the hacking speech check with Dr. 8.

They didn't have to die! Everyone lived! I managed I was honestly most sad about Dr. Borous and Dr. Dala. They were the last ones to die in my previous try, 'cuz I was hoping they would un-aggro and let me talk to them. After going to work, coming home and giving it another try, I got everything to work.

That ending gave me the warm fuzzies.

Edit:

After thinking about it, I really think Old World Blues is one of the better DLCs I've played. I have but haven't played Honest Hearts and intend to get Lonesome Road once I get another paycheck.

I did all the Fallout 3 DLC, I did Knights of the Nine, Shivering Isles most of the way through, and Dawnguard. While the actual questing through the Big MT area got dull after my fifth building, if I was more willing to murder everyone, I coulda probably gotten through it faster and just killed everybody. But the story told, the experience, the amount of detail and depth and interesting powers all ended up very satisfying, and once I got the best ending, I really feel like it was all worth it.

And I'm still debating keeping a max-customized power fist around, or just have a Ballistic Fist, or have a Superheated Saturnite Fist.

Congratulations on saving the lives of a bunch of amoral monster creators who should have died of old age long ago Dr. Borous invented cazadors. Dala is head of lobotomite research, you know stealing the brains of anyone unlucky enough to wander close to Big MT. I'm mostly kidding, I saved them my first run through too.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Teen Hero Greg posted:

This is the weird thing about Dead Money. They go to great pains in the terminals and diaries to explain most every environmental element that you encounter- two different contractors built the casino and the villa so the former held up better, they bought way too many steak knives so that's how the Ghost People are armed, and so on- and then make no mention whatsoever of the eighty thousand bear traps placed next to every container and in the middle of every floor.

The story about the knives in Dead Money is my favourite bit of the DLC I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omp2
Sep 15, 2012

by T. Mascis

FairGame posted:

Is Logan's Loophole really that good? Capping my dude sounds terrible.

On the other hand, I love Chemist, and given how it stacks, it'd be hilarious to have 60-second long Turbo boosts...

Not worth it at all. It locks you out of the best perks and makes some of the DLC nigh-impossible.