Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Keyser S0ze posted:

https://www.bimrs.org is your new friend, find an Indy shop to give it a once over and then start budgeting for essential parts (mostly plastic engine/cooling pieces).

I also just picked up my F10 535 that I had ordered back in July and it has a great 6 speed manual. It was the only one they'd ordered for someone in 2 years. I figured the bugs had been worked out of these since 2010 and this was the last time I'd ever be able to get one with a stick, so what the hell. Mods are forthcoming to get it more into a slightly nastier sport mode.

I love the thick steering wheels BMW finally started using with the e39/e46.

Anyone have any experience with the Turner swaybar kit (30mm/24mm)? I'm thinking of just getting those, I can always remove and resell them before I get rid of the car.

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Sep 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

dundun posted:

$3600, it was a repo. Judging from the illegal tints on the windows it was most likely a drug dealer or young person's car. I planned on flipping it because 330i's seem to go for 6-7k with similar mileage, but since its a 323i I doubt I'll get more than 4-5k so might as well keep it for a while. The good news is that all the fluids seem topped off and clean, it passed inspection sometime in the past 9 months and the previous owner installed a K&N air intake so it seems like it wasn't completely neglected.

Hang on a minute - It was listed as a 330, you paid for a 330, you paid a 330 price and it's actually a 323.

In what part of the world is that acceptable?

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Nitr0 posted:

Beautiful car. Can I ask how much you paid or is it a lease? I would love to get something similar

I got it for $500 over invoice and all these cars will go for that for sure (meaning don't pay any more than that!). If you go to https://www.bmwconfig.com and build it out you can see the invoice price plus the maco and other charges except tax. I also had a $750 former customer discount and will also get $1k back from BMWCCA. So after all that it would be around $53k. I would never have found this combo with the lack of options I selected so I had to order it. I plan on keeping it 10+ years hopefully but I am obviously worried about long term issues and the poo poo-ton of plastic everywhere disintegrating.

MSport, Leather, Dynamic Damper Control (i should have skipped this and saved $1k), Heated Seats, Premium Stereo is all I added. I will definitely be adding some AC Schnitzer springs and louder mufflers in the future.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Sep 18, 2012

dundun
Oct 29, 2005
H E R B

Captain Postal posted:

Hang on a minute - It was listed as a 330, you paid for a 330, you paid a 330 price and it's actually a 323.

In what part of the world is that acceptable?

America? Here are the auction terms- ...The information in this advertisement is correct to the best of our knowledge and in no other way can we guarantee accuracy of it. All sales are final.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

dundun posted:

America? Here are the auction terms- ...The information in this advertisement is correct to the best of our knowledge and in no other way can we guarantee accuracy of it. All sales are final.

Protip for anyone looking to buy a BMW:

If it's debadged, there's a very good chance it's got the smallest engine available. Probably 80% of all debadged BMWs I see are things like E36 318s, E46 323/320s, etc. When I was looking for my 330, it got to the point that I'd never even bother calling someone with a debadged car.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

dundun posted:

Yeah terms or not I don't know how you're ok with bidding on a more expensive car than what you end up getting. Or how you were ok with accepting those terms to begin with.

When I was getting cars from auctions we had VINs beforehand (and an inspection day) that we could look up details like that.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

sellouts posted:

Yeah terms or not I don't know how you're ok with bidding on a more expensive car than what you end up getting. Or how you were ok with accepting those terms to begin with.

When I was getting cars from auctions we had VINs beforehand (and an inspection day) that we could look up details like that.

Probably because there isn't jack he can legally do about it now, and hindsight is 20/20. Really, if it's debadged, the auction lot is going to pick one and whatever they pick they can say it was correct 'to the best of their knowledge' since it was debadged. It's up to the buyer to confirm, which he didn't.

So he can either piss and moan about it, or live with it, and it sounds like he's doing the latter. For the price, I think he got a pretty nice car. It's still an E46 that appears in reasonably good shape. Around here you'd be hard-pressed to find an E36 for that price.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

dundun posted:

and the previous owner installed a K&N air intake so it seems like it wasn't completely neglected.

I think you got that backwards, a K&N air filter is almost always a bad sign of youthful rice. But okay, it could still be working fine.

Just wondering though, did you buy it online from solely looking at those pictures? That's a huge risk to take.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Cross posting this into the Craigslist gold thread as well.. but drat, this is a fine looking car!

http://desmoines.craigslist.org/cto/3277516165.html

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
That's actually a pretty decent price on it, too. Too bad about the Auto Trans though.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Kenshin posted:

That's actually a pretty decent price on it, too. Too bad about the Auto Trans though.

Better price, but still automatic. To be honest with the kind of highway cruiser a 6 series is meant to be the automatic doesn't bother me too much...now if I could find someone to lend me about $6k...

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Very hard to find a 5spd E24 in my experience. The majority of the CS and CSis were all auto. It's only the Ms that are reliably stick, but you're looking at double the price of that last car.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
At least its a ZF4HP22 which is used in about a bazillion euro cars. Its pretty reliable and fairly simple to work on. (in the later years... I don't know what was used for the 3 speed auto)

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

rscott posted:

Better price, but still automatic. To be honest with the kind of highway cruiser a 6 series is meant to be the automatic doesn't bother me too much...now if I could find someone to lend me about $6k...
The white one is just so much prettier though, and I'm pretty sure $1500 more is well worth the 100k fewer miles.

dundun
Oct 29, 2005
H E R B

Pilsner posted:

I think you got that backwards, a K&N air filter is almost always a bad sign of youthful rice. But okay, it could still be working fine.

Just wondering though, did you buy it online from solely looking at those pictures? That's a huge risk to take.

I'll try to take pictures in the morning but it actually looks like an entire aftermarket intake with the words UUC motorwerks on it, its not one of those 89.99 K&N cone filters. It was a local in-person auction, so I was able to sit in it and check the fluids and all that good stuff before the bidding began. Those pictures I posted are from when I got it home.

Overall, I'm still pretty happy about the purchase. My current DD is a ford explorer, so pretty much day and night compared to the bmw. If all it ends up being is a nice weekend car I think it was still worth it.

dundun fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Sep 18, 2012

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Keyser S0ze posted:

I also had a $750 former customer discount and will also get $1k back from BMWCCA.

What discount is the BMWCCA one?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

dundun posted:

I'll try to take pictures in the morning but it actually looks like an entire aftermarket intake with the words UUC motorwerks on it, its not one of those 89.99 K&N cone filters. It was a local in-person auction, so I was able to sit in it and check the fluids and all that good stuff before the bidding began. Those pictures I posted are from when I got it home.

Overall, I'm still pretty happy about the purchase. My current DD is a ford explorer, so pretty much day and night compared to the bmw. If all it ends up being is a nice weekend car I think it was still worth it.

It probably has other mods too. From what I can see just in those two pics it has clear front corners, clear turn signals, clear tail lights, gray BMW badges, front plate delete, M3 mirrors, M3 or ZHP trunk spoiler, and matte kidneys. What does it actually redline out to? Got any pics from the side and inside?

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

kimbo305 posted:

What discount is the BMWCCA one?

Membership Reward Rebate Program
http://www.bmwcca.org/vehicle_rebate

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001

MrChips posted:

Protip for anyone looking to buy a BMW:

If it's debadged, there's a very good chance it's got the smallest engine available. Probably 80% of all debadged BMWs I see are things like E36 318s, E46 323/320s, etc. When I was looking for my 330, it got to the point that I'd never even bother calling someone with a debadged car.

Another protip for e46 auction buyers (I visit impound auctions frequently, and almost all the "luxury" cars are debadged).

Do some research beforehand on what differentiates which trim from its bigger brother, because there's a lot of resale value in the mix here, and you don't want to get stuck with a 323i when you think you're buying a 330i.

On the 323/328/325/330 dilemma:

The 328i and 330i sedans (except for the ZHP) had silver trim around the windows.
The ZHP has Shadowline trim around the windows. They are also ALL 330s, and have a lot of ZHP-only additions. Alcantara all over the interior, etc. They're quite rare, and if it's a real ZHP it'll go for a substantial premium over your standard e46.

The coupes all had silver trim around the windows.

The 330i Sport package has a "smiley face" hole in the middle, with individual holes for the foglights.
The 330i standard front bumper has small holes for the foglights, and a long incision that runs the entire length of the bumper underneath the foglights, with a grille in the middle.
The 325i bumper (and I believe a certain aero package on the 330i) has square foglights.

The 330i Premium package came with thin-spoked wheels. Sport package came with twin-spoke 5-spoke wheels. Base models came with the thick 5-spokes. Most people will have put their own garbage on there, though, so this doesn't usually help.

The 325i front bumper has two small holes for the foglights and that's all. It also has black trim around the windows.

You can also tell a lot by the year. There were no 325s & 330s in 99-00. The taillights will also be a dead giveaway: pre-facelifts (1999-2001) had a two-color taillight, whereas facelifts (02+) have the three-color tail with the reverse-light stripe in the middle.

All 330s had the H&K sound package, but you could get this as an option on a 325. Check for the little speaker button on the console (next to row of buttons for DSC, heated seats, etc)

The 328s & 330s had silver rings surrounding the gauges.

The 328i had four-way lumbar support on the seats (a little lever on the side). 323is do not have this.

Performance-wise, the 323 is pretty close to the 325 (170hp vs 184hp) but the 330i is king of the hill with its 225hp.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Or you could just get the VIN and punch it into http://www.rubmw.ru/vincode/eng/ and get the model, build date, color and all factory fitted options.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
Cross posting from the CL Gold thread...

Anything I need to look at specifically for a 1994 525se Diesel?
Going to have a look at this tomorrow... Am I a retard?

http://tinyurl.com/8t6bebm

http://i49.tinypic.com/2uzzbm9.jpg

thegasman2000 fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Sep 18, 2012

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Your first link is broken because it's linking the shortened version with the ... in the middle.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:

rscott posted:

Your first link is broken because it's linking the shortened version with the ... in the middle.

Thanks. I am retarded then!

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I have no idea on how good BMW diesels are, but E34s are pretty solid cars with their own nuances. Biggest to watch for is make sure all the electrics work, thrust arm bushings are done (if they are not done, that can be negotiated in the price), and that it just feels "solid". 5'ers are built extremely well, and if it feels flimsy, RUN.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I'd buy a ragged the gently caress out e34 as long as ALL the electronics worked and the interior was clean.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I still dream of an E34 M5. I have only rode in one once, and it was absolutely a drivers car in every way possible. No distractions, just a big inline 6, a great manual transmission and just a connected feeling to the car.

Plus that 6 sounds just fantastic when revved.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I would impulsively take 900 mile road trips on a whim.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Crustashio posted:

I love the thick steering wheels BMW finally started using with the e39/e46.

Anyone have any experience with the Turner swaybar kit (30mm/24mm)? I'm thinking of just getting those, I can always remove and resell them before I get rid of the car.

Hell ya, the steering wheel has the fancy Napa leather on it too. The M3 steering wheel on my E46 is nice too but not as thick. As mentioned in the new car thread the thing has a ridiculous amount of M logos on it. ughh.

I have had the Racing Dynamics and the Hotchkis Sways on a couple E46's and I've read the Turners are very similar....this is for E46 zhp right??? I like the adjustable rear end links that came with the Hotchkis setup if that means anything.

Altimeter
Sep 10, 2003

OK, I just agreed to purchase an 87 325iC that is currently in LA. I am in Minneapolis, and am planning on flying out and driving it back this weekend. I had a shop take a good look at it today, and they sounded very pleased with the mechanical condition of the car, especially considering its age, but I am still looking at driving a 25 year old car 2000 miles over the goddamn continental divide.

So I am asking for advice - Given this journey what should I bring with/pick up in LA to make sure I can get home in once piece? Right now I am planning on buying the super premium whatever version of AAA so I have some towing help if needed, but what else would you suggest? Also can someone help get the code for the stock radio? I'm going to either have to verify that it is working properly or get a deck installed before I leave California.

PS not a ton of time to detour on the trip, but if anyone has any must see things between Los Angeles and Minneapolis I'd love to hear them!

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Keyser S0ze posted:

Hell ya, the steering wheel has the fancy Napa leather on it too. The M3 steering wheel on my E46 is nice too but not as thick. As mentioned in the new car thread the thing has a ridiculous amount of M logos on it. ughh.

I have had the Racing Dynamics and the Hotchkis Sways on a couple E46's and I've read the Turners are very similar....this is for E46 zhp right??? I like the adjustable rear end links that came with the Hotchkis setup if that means anything.

Its actually for an e36 328, I sold my ZHP in July. I'm just gonna pick up another 18mm sport sway, turner highly recommends reinforcement in the rear with a 24mm bar.

I think I've given up on my M3 search and switched to FD rx7s after driving one :v:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Kiss your wallet goodbye :v:

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

BlackMK4 posted:

Kiss your wallet goodbye :v:

From what I've heard, new engines are surprisingly cheap from Japan since we get a ton of RHD FDs imported. I'd have to get LHD though, I question the future of RHD in canada and they just feel wierd to drive.

Besides, it could be not-running in my driveway and I'd still probably enjoy just looking at it. The actual cost of entry for a ~100000km FD is actually pretty similar to an e36 at the same mileage.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I still dream of an E34 M5. I have only rode in one once, and it was absolutely a drivers car in every way possible. No distractions, just a big inline 6, a great manual transmission and just a connected feeling to the car.

Plus that 6 sounds just fantastic when revved.

E34 M5 prices seem to be holding pretty steady in the $15-20k range. The cost of entry isn't bad but I've heard terrible, terrible things about the cost of ownership, even by M standards. That, and they're rare and getting rarer. But god, they nailed the intersection of classy and ferocious in a way the later cars rarely did. That, and they're the last of the hand-built M cars from Garching. They're pieces of history.

If I had one, I'd be torn between wanting to drive it everywhere, including into oncoming traffic through the streets of Nice, and the knowledge that every mile is stepping closer to major maintenance on a car with all kinds of unique, nigh-unfindable parts that was assembled to incredibly strict tolerances by a Bavarian who likely cut his teeth building race cars.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

an oddly awful oud posted:

E34 M5 prices seem to be holding pretty steady in the $15-20k range.

Sad part is that you can pick up an E39 M5 for the same price. Don't get me wrong, the E39 M5 is a fantastic car in all aspects, but it feels more "musclely and american" instead of "refined and European". They are 2 different cars, but still it just feels like BMW went for speed instead of the driving experience.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery
Time to change the :airquote:lifetime:airquote: transmission fluid in my MINI Cooper S. It's a 6-speed manual transmission with the factory mechanical LSD. The label on the transmission says it's MTF94 fluid and has BMW part number 83-22-0-403-247. Does anybody have any recommendations on a brand of fluid? A lot of people are using Redline MTL but I can't find if it is equivalent to MTF94 or not. The MTL is a 70W90, while the Fuchs fluid that I found that does actually say MTF94 equivalent is actually a 75W90 (see here).

voltron
Nov 26, 2000
Zapf gave me this account because he's a friend of the Indian-American people.

hedge posted:

Time to change the :airquote:lifetime:airquote: transmission fluid in my MINI Cooper S. It's a 6-speed manual transmission with the factory mechanical LSD. The label on the transmission says it's MTF94 fluid and has BMW part number 83-22-0-403-247. Does anybody have any recommendations on a brand of fluid? A lot of people are using Redline MTL but I can't find if it is equivalent to MTF94 or not. The MTL is a 70W90, while the Fuchs fluid that I found that does actually say MTF94 equivalent is actually a 75W90 (see here).

I use Redline 75W90 in my E36 M3. I read a couple horror stories about Royal Purple Transmission Fluid (undoubtedly unrelated to the fact they used RP) and Redline was cheaper so Redline it was.

You'll need two, three to be safe: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CPCBF0/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
I really want to get a BMW as my next car, or really any well balanced RWD sedan with a manual transmission - which seems to mean that I want a BMW. My current car is a 98 Jetta TDI that I was planning on running into the ground, so I might not be getting a new car for a while. I want to start learning about my options though.

Late 90's and early 00's 3 and 5 series are definitely within my price range for buying, but I don't know how crazy expensive they are to maintain. I know there's not an easy way of quantifying that. I'll try to start with more specific questions.

How well do these cars handle high miles? TDI's like mine will go 400k+ miles no problem as long as you change the oil and timing belts, and eventually the injection pump at about 300k. How would you feel about buying an e36 with 190k miles if it seemed to be in good condition?

Are there any common problems with E36's that are super expensive to fix?

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Here's some BMW porn:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRunu6g17pQ

I want that race-prepped M3 so so bad.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Opensourcepirate posted:

Are there any common problems with E36's that are super expensive to fix?

Yes - the previous owners. Most E36s are at the point now where they are worth almost nothing, so people with almost nothing to spend are picking them up and driving them into the ground, with the level of maintenance you'd expect from such individuals. Unless you find a rare example of one that has been maintained (they are out there, just not common) you will have to do a lot of work to get it up to reliable driver status. This can cost thousands in parts alone, depending on how far gone the car is.

Depending on what you consider to be "super expensive" you're going to want to replace the entire cooling system at least. BMW used lovely plastic parts on all of it, and any part failing can cook your motor in a hurry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Picking up a totalled e30 318iS today to use for spare parts to get my poor car back on the road. If anyone in the Seattle area needs parts feel free to hit me up.