Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Motronic posted:

In my experience, they are mentioned....but it's really not a big deal. What is specifically trained for are plasticars like Saturns. It's difficult to get a purchase anywhere for prying (big old real thick metal cars are much easier with spreaders because you don't tend to tear holes in it as you spread) and they have lots of hardened steel rods and stuff (for side impact protection) that our tools simply don't like cutting through.

Edit:

That's what I'm talking about right there. Squeeze that door and make a spot to jam the spreaders in and a car like that come apart like buttah.

I remember we had a tool job on a Saturn once nobody had any idea where to start until my partner and I (both Saturn owners) made a few suggestions. Those plastic door skins are sweet when you need to change one but not so much when you need to get a halligan on something. I think they just ended up rolling the roof because it was easier than spreading the door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

8th-samurai posted:

I think they just ended up rolling the roof because it was easier than spreading the door.

I have taken the roof on countless Saturn rescues, simply because it's a known amount of time/effort. With as many as we cut up in training, and even with the help of Saturn (they used to have cut-away cars they would bring to our training on occasion, and factory reps/engineers would help us with the best strategies and tactics) going in though the side ended up only one of two ways: comes right apart or absolutely refuses to come apart. You never know which.

One particularly nasty rescue I had to to both doors and the roof for, as we needed to roll the dash due to foot/leg entrapment. Both doors were fighting my guys, and the roof was off LONG before either door was popped and off the car. And this is with the roof team working around paramedics and two door teams. That pretty much said it all to me as to strategy going forward on those cars.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Maybe he was just watching Root Bear intently to set him up for a new hidden-camera show where people present mechanics with half-assed modification work and see what they do.

If that's true, then I'm long overdue for a serious paycheck. :argh:

Also, I found this "lug wrench" while cleaning up around the shop:

Root Bear fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Sep 15, 2012

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Root Bear posted:

:iia:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Root Bear posted:

If that's true, then I'm long overdue for a serious paycheck. :argh:

It'll probably come in handy in the next week.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That's more of a murder weapon than a tool.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Rhyno posted:

That's more of a murder weapon than a tool.

Tomato, Tomah-to.

edit for content:

WHY those loving cheap-looking poo poo wheels on such a beautiful machine?

HandlingByJebus fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Sep 16, 2012

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Maybe he was just watching Root Bear intently to set him up for a new hidden-camera show where people present mechanics with half-assed modification work and see what they do.

I would watch the hell out of this.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

sofullofhate posted:

Tomato, Tomah-to.

edit for content:

http://badcopnodonuts.com/wp-content/uploads/Screen-shot-2011-02-09-at-5.41.50-PM.png

They're terrible chromed/polished though...

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:

Should've been clearer. I understand the reference, but they do not suit the 458 in any way. Especially with the horrible chrome / polish - and the fact that they're rip-offs, not centre-attach Ferrari mags.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
Polished they look terrible, but I liked them when I first saw 'em in this colour:

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

Hello Spaceman posted:

Polished they look terrible, but I liked them when I first saw 'em in this colour:

Oh.

Well, then.

That's very pretty. :/

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

sofullofhate posted:

Nobody ever said having big piles of money to burn and good taste were mutually exclusive...

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Geoj posted:

Nobody ever said having big piles of money to burn and good taste were mutually exclusive...

If I was that rich, I wouldn't give a drat about other people's opinions on my good taste (or lack thereof).

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

KozmoNaut posted:

If I was that rich, I wouldn't give a drat about other people's opinions on my good taste (or lack thereof).
Most rich people demonstrably feel the same way when it comes to cars.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

KozmoNaut posted:

You want to be this guy?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

You want to be this guy?

No, because I'm not a fat sack of worthless poo poo.

But he does not give a poo poo what anyone else thinks, I'll give him that.

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.
"Yeah, whenever I go to track days and miss the apex (and get stuck) I need 2 tow vehicles, one for the car and one for the awesome" .... - This loving guy:

:heysexy:

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
The fake decals are everywhere. From this years' Goodguys West Coast Nationals where the minute attention to detail is what gets you the title. The decal by the wheel is a Mercedes V8 Kompressor badge, and he has a Ford Racing crate V8

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I don't think this is a good way to transport bumpers from LA to Phoenix.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

IOwnCalculus posted:

I was going around the east side of Cincinnati on 275 about 5 or so years ago, and there was a 1st-gen Stratus ahead of me with a smashed-up front end, but had a new color-mismatched hood badly tied to the roof for future replacement. Several seconds after passing him, I look in my mirror to see the ropes come loose, and the hood loving sail 15 feet in the air above him, arcing gracefully backwards before slamming down on the highway as traffic scattered all over the place. It was amazing that no one crashed.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

IOwnCalculus posted:

I don't think this is a good way to transport bumpers from LA to Phoenix. anything ever.
Holy poo poo. ANYTHING strapped to the roof of a Cavalier with what looks like bailing twine is a pucker-inducing thing.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
:argh:

nearly had a horrible mechanical failure. U-joint cap spit out as I was accelerating up an entrance ramp onto the highway, fortunately I recognized the bang and lurch for what it was and pulled over immediately. Put a few layers of aluminum foil tape around it to keep the axleshaft from flopping about and then very, very slowly and carefully limped it to the nearest hardware store to buy tools to repair it properly. No worries, the tape did not have to handle actual torque loads, just had to support the inner axleshaft and keep it centered in the steering knuckle so it wouldn't smack into things.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

JaysonAych posted:

I was going around the east side of Cincinnati on 275 about 5 or so years ago, and there was a 1st-gen Stratus ahead of me with a smashed-up front end, but had a new color-mismatched hood badly tied to the roof for future replacement. Several seconds after passing him, I look in my mirror to see the ropes come loose, and the hood loving sail 15 feet in the air above him, arcing gracefully backwards before slamming down on the highway as traffic scattered all over the place. It was amazing that no one crashed.

Replace "bumber" with "box spring" and I've seen this more than once on the US60 and I-10. Also, one couch that nearly killed me.

:v:

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Sorry for the crappy image quality, but it was raining and I was trying not to be too bad of a driver.

Yes, it says HENTAI.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

The Antipop posted:

Sorry for the crappy image quality, but it was raining and I was trying not to be too bad of a driver.

Yes, it says HENTAI.

Oh dear god that's a seminole state parking sticker.

THAT GUY LIVES NEAR ME. :suicide:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

I thought that was a horse. I scrolled down too quickly, and thought I saw a horse, kicking and thrashing, tied to the top of a Cavalier. :stare:

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

To be fair, that scenario might be safer.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I saw a guy driving an altima with a sheet of cementboard (literally, 1/2" sheet of cement with fiberglass mesh embedded in each face) tied to the roof with a single loop of twine through the doors... and a beach towel to keep it from damaging the paint.

It was flapping up and down wildly at the front edge and beating the roof senseless. Just as I passed him it finally snapped and the front half folded over, tore off, and slammed down on the hatch lid.

I can only imagine what that did to his paint, hell, it probably dented the sheetmetal.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

kastein posted:

I saw a guy driving an altima with a sheet of cementboard (literally, 1/2" sheet of cement with fiberglass mesh embedded in each face) tied to the roof with a single loop of twine through the doors... and a beach towel to keep it from damaging the paint.

It was flapping up and down wildly at the front edge and beating the roof senseless. Just as I passed him it finally snapped and the front half folded over, tore off, and slammed down on the hatch lid.

I can only imagine what that did to his paint, hell, it probably dented the sheetmetal.

Do we have any insurance adjusters around on the forums? Would be great to hear some stories of how morons try to explain huge fuckups when they want insurance to pay for it.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Insurance still covers it...

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Previa_fun posted:

I thought that was a horse. I scrolled down too quickly, and thought I saw a horse, kicking and thrashing, tied to the top of a Cavalier. :stare:

It was flapping around pretty good, so when approaching it from the back we had a hard time figuring out what the hell it was.

assfucker420
May 14, 2012

by T. Mascis

The Antipop posted:

Yes, it says HENTAI.

I like it.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

*checks name* That figures. :v:

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

I took this picture some years ago sitting in traffic. Some strange things came out of that DaimlerChrysler merger.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
It's gonna be awesome when that dude buys an account and posts his engine-swap project.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Note the bonus lawnmower

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

dissss posted:

Note the bonus lawnmower

I once moved a Christmas Tree on my Jeep like that. three blocks

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

The monkey is NOT impressed...

dissss posted:

Note the bonus lawnmower

Did they drive in reverse all the way to where ever they were going? Unless they Ace Ventura'd it home, how the hell did they see forward...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?

Fermunky posted:

Did they drive in reverse all the way to where ever they were going? Unless they Ace Ventura'd it home, how the hell did they see forward...

I'm imagining the lawn mower is on top so the guy standing up on the roof shouting directions has something to hang on it. They didn't actually need to move the lawn mower, just couldn't find anything else to use as a hand hold.