Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Violen posted:

Guys, it's loving painted nails. I'm pretty sure it's a joke, or a lost bet, or whatever. I don't think he's trying to share his fashion decisions in a 100% straight-faced post.

"Just painted my nails green #YOLO"

Take that as you will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

You all are making an extraordinarily big deal out of a dude painting his nails as if it is a thing that even matters as far as his speedrunning/social skills/humanity/whatever other crap you've insinuated is concerned. Seeing that picture and immediately jumping to the conclusion that he is socially awkward also strikes me as being particularly closed-minded and quite frankly rude. Dude just painted his nails, guys, it doesn't have to mean anything.

Now, moving back to what this thread is actually here for, a runner named blkyoshi is doing Super Mario Sunshine 100% attempts: http://www.twitch.tv/blkyoshi

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Has the general opinion towards Sunshine improved? I never played much of it when it was released, and it looks like so much fun. However, everyone I know craps on the game.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

kaujot posted:

Has the general opinion towards Sunshine improved? I never played much of it when it was released, and it looks like so much fun. However, everyone I know craps on the game.

I don't know about general opinion of the game, but the mere fact that Siglemic made a show of purchasing a Japanese copy of the game and has expressed interest in learning it will surely draw in both many more viewers and probably more runners, as well.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
I haven't been following the speedrunning community for THAT long (got into it via Funkdoc), but it seems like within the past two months or so quite a few people have been streaming Sunshine on SRL. Maybe I just totally missed them earlier, though.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

iastudent posted:

Starting up some Dungeon Magic practice, come and watch me fail infinities!

http://www.twitch.tv/iastsa

Back to doing more of this!

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

kaujot posted:

I've never heard anyone complain about the game, personally.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

flatluigi posted:

Maybe my circle of friends is the anomaly. :iiam:

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

flatluigi posted:

I've never heard anyone complain about the game lately, but I used to hear a lot of complaints back before Galaxy 2 or whatever came out and people stopped caring.

It's a good game but boy howdy does it have its flaws. The blue coins could have been handled a lot better. The cutscenes could have better voice acting should not exist on this Earth. The final boss was rather terrible in terms of a final boss. But it's still a good game, and I still enjoy it a lot.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
What are the blue coins?

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

Color Printer posted:

The blue coins could have been handled a lot better.
All that needs to be said, really. There are 30 blue coins to be found on every course, but many of them are specific to one of the eight Shines per course, and involve arbitrary things. Spraying an instructional signpost on Shine #6 on a given stage might yield a blue coin, but spraying the same signpost on any of the other seven Shines gives nothing. Lame!

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Yoshi is also the flipside. Learn how to control his glitchy self, and you'll sequence break everything. But otherwise learn to deal with nonsensical physics, extremely shoddy hit detection, and forced gimmicks (he dies in water, so they make sure to make Yoshi puzzles as convoluted as possible).

If you accidentally bring Yoshi to a place that wasn't designed for him, be prepared for the game to keep you stuck there and unable to move, or just push you out of bounds. If he gets stuck and there's a fruit nearby, he will eat the fruit automatically forever, keeping him from dying and respawning at the egg!

kaujot posted:

What are the blue coins?

There's a bunch of them scattered around in various levels. Collecting 10 of them gets you one shine sprite. There are 240 blue coins across all levels.

Sometimes you just have to spray a specific unmarked patch on the ground to make them appear. Sometimes that happens only in a specific level.

The issue with the blue coins is that the progress statistic you have is "number of blue coins collected in each level". If you don't go through them sequentially in a list methodically, you're forced to look up a guide on GameFAQs and go through every one.

Suspicious Dish fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Sep 18, 2012

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

XkyRauh posted:

All that needs to be said, really. There are 30 blue coins to be found on every course, but many of them are specific to one of the eight Shines per course, and involve arbitrary things. Spraying an instructional signpost on Shine #6 on a given stage might yield a blue coin, but spraying the same signpost on any of the other seven Shines gives nothing. Lame!

I poo poo you not, when me and my sister sat down and finally 100%'d Super Mario Sunshine after ten years, the very last blue coin (save for the ones in Corona Mountain) we got was the one in Pianta Village where you had to spray a signpost. In a specific episode.

The worst part about being forced to use a guide is the order is never perfect (the Nintendo Power guide also has a bunch of errors) and you have to jump around a lot, and if you don't do things in order, you'll skip over stuff or incorrectly go "No, I already tried that" and you'll never get anywhere.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Funkdoc is doing CV3 Sypha runs: http://www.twitch.tv/srkfunkdoc

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Is FunkyDoc a goon or did I make that up in my head?
Also I just went on his stream for the first time and even though I have no interest in whatever game he's playing, it's good to come across someone who seems genuinely nice. I went on Indextic's stream and god that guy can be an rear end in a top hat.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Aidan_702 posted:

Is FunkyDoc a goon or did I make that up in my head?
Also I just went on his stream for the first time and even though I have no interest in whatever game he's playing, it's good to come across someone who seems genuinely nice. I went on Indextic's stream and god that guy can be an rear end in a top hat.

Funkdoc's name on here is rashreflection and yes, he is a fun and engaging speedrunner to watch even when he plays poo poo games like Skull and Crossbones.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
He's also one of the nicest streamers around and makes everyone feel welcome.

quote:

You all are making an extraordinarily big deal out of a dude painting his nails as if it is a thing that even matters as far as his speedrunning/social skills/humanity/whatever other crap you've insinuated is concerned. Seeing that picture and immediately jumping to the conclusion that he is socially awkward also strikes me as being particularly closed-minded and quite frankly rude. Dude just painted his nails, guys, it doesn't have to mean anything.

This is the same thread that made a giant deal about some man child getting bitchslapped by his mother on stream.

Speaking of Jman, he won't be going to AGDQ apparently.

http://www.twitch.tv/sinisterwon

Sinister doing Bald Bull 2 WR attempts, let's see if his score attempts will help him.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Alteisen posted:

This is the same thread that made a giant deal about some man child getting bitchslapped by his mother on stream.

What's your point?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's 100% entertainment value for me. Are you guys not amused by stuff like Jman?

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Alteisen posted:

I fail to see how posting a picture of painted nails is in the same loving galaxy as being extremely rude and screaming at your parent and getting punished for it physically on stream.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I fail to see how posting a picture of painted nails is in the same loving galaxy as being extremely rude and screaming at your parent and getting punished for it physically on stream.

I know a lot of streamers are probably teenagers but...:stare:

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

Aidan_702 posted:

I know a lot of streamers are probably teenagers but...:stare:

UltraJMan is like 24. So no teenagers here. It's just sad to be honest.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What's your point?

That it was a minor thing that was blown out of proportion. Same with making judgmental calls on a simple picture of a dude that painted his nails. Cosmo just seems eccentric to me, I think most speedrunners are given the repetitive nature of what they do.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Alteisen posted:

Can they at least bring him in for the end so we can see his biannual breakdown? It just won't be the same without him. :(

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

wa27 posted:

Can they at least bring him in for the end so we can see his biannual breakdown? It just won't be the same without him. :(

I would prefer not. Those make my stomach turn like an episode of the office.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Cosmo, who by all things considered seems like a completely normal person and Jman, a raging sperglord of a manchild, are not comparable past the point of sharing basic characteristics of being human and both having incomprehensibly bad haircuts.

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Because it's not. One is a whatever thing, the other is the definition of :stare:.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Alteisen posted:

Best news i've read in this thread for a while. At least something redeemable after whatever the gently caress the start of that post was.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Sep 19, 2012

E-Tap
Jan 4, 2004
In other speedrun bloopers, Peaches__'s friend Iateyourpie with his Paper Mario attempts has had a heck of a time figuring out how to deal with random fullheal level ups and how they wreck strategies relying on having low health for damage boosts.

http://www.twitch.tv/iateyourpie/b/332671481?t=6h34m
"I can't turn the star shield off!" "I don't have the star beam! I DO have the star beam! What am I thinking?!"

Zotwoz
Apr 2, 2011

Alteisen posted:

:stare: I think this is the first time I've heard of this.

Is there a video?

Saphire_flames
Sep 24, 2010

Zotwoz posted:

:stare: I think this is the first time I've heard of this.

Is there a video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOXy_X4QqjM

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

E-Tap posted:

In other speedrun bloopers, Peaches__'s friend Iateyourpie with his Paper Mario attempts has had a heck of a time figuring out how to deal with random fullheal level ups and how they wreck strategies relying on having low health for damage boosts.

http://www.twitch.tv/iateyourpie/b/332671481?t=6h34m
"I can't turn the star shield off!" "I don't have the star beam! I DO have the star beam! What am I thinking?!"

Last night was extra amazing because for no discernable reason Pie climbed up from his previous max of 30-something viewers to 124 viewers at one point, and every one of them was there for those brainfart moments. For as much poo poo as I was giving him in the Skype call (I'm the one they keep calling Tyrone despite that not being anywhere close to my name), I've been having a great time joking around and occasionally commentating on his runs. Pie really is doing his best to both learn the game and be entertaining for his viewers, so if you are looking for something to watch and he's online, give him a try.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Do paper mario speedruns usually have that many deaths? I feel bad for him choking so hard near the end. At least he's a good sport about it v:shobon:v

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Dizz posted:

Do paper mario speedruns usually have that many deaths? I feel bad for him choking so hard near the end. At least he's a good sport about it v:shobon:v

Not really, no. I don't think there are any intentional deaths in the run. Still, given that he's only been learning the game for like two weeks, it's understandable that he won't know how to deal with weird fringe situations when things go wrong just yet.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

I just wished I knew what his mind was thinking when he thought he didn't have the star beam :v:

E-Tap
Jan 4, 2004

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Last night was extra amazing because for no discernable reason Pie climbed up from his previous max of 30-something viewers to 124 viewers at one point, and every one of them was there for those brainfart moments. For as much poo poo as I was giving him in the Skype call (I'm the one they keep calling Tyrone despite that not being anywhere close to my name), I've been having a great time joking around and occasionally commentating on his runs. Pie really is doing his best to both learn the game and be entertaining for his viewers, so if you are looking for something to watch and he's online, give him a try.
Yeah, I saw his run from that Bowser fight and on from speedrunslive, and ended up following after the chaos that ensued. The guy in the chat going on about that run giving him "super cancer" and the ribbing from like 3 or more people in the skype call was what made it so hilarious, probably more so than any execution mistake itself. There's several moments but I think my favorite is Peaches "I want you to acknowledge how many people just saw that.". Definitely one of the more entertaining ways to watch someone start their speed run career.
Edit: I was the one at the end going "He's gonna wonder what all these cancer patients are doing here" when he sent the viewers to another stream.

And I haven't seen the whole new route he has, but through some sorcery or sick superswims Cosmo is 10 minutes ahead of his 5:06:35 time after getting the hookshot.
http://www.twitch.tv/cosmowright

E-Tap fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Sep 19, 2012

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Speaking of meltdowns late in a speedrun, Cosmo is currently in the middle of a Wind Waker run where he was at one point several minutes ahead of Demon9's WR until he hosed up the Soup Glitch in Ganon's Tower. He's in the Puppet Ganon fight now and losing time fast.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
He even said "You know what would suck? If I drank the soup at the Trials skip" at the end of the Wind Temple. Oh well, the new route looks really good. With a bit of practice, sub 4:50 should be possible.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
New record with 4:57:03 but even he admits it was a crap run(it was) and that sub-4:50 is definitely possible now.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

He's got a new World Record even with that hilarious mistake. Still, it just gives us more sweet sweet runs :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

More Dungeon Magic practice, same old same old.

http://www.twitch.tv/iastsa

• Locked thread