Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I think it would be pretty much impossible to mount a comeback after you've fed that bad at the beginning, Lonestar was killing me with just a few hits from his gun. I don't have a problem with it because I don't tower dive the whole game but it certainly was funny watching my cousin get all frustrated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duffath
May 9, 2007

My name is Legion for we are many.

coyo7e posted:

I can see what you mean however, I don't think that the game keeps pooping bonuses on the winning team forever, though.

Once you reach about level 20-22, you have maxed all of your skills. If you can't close for the kill before the other team can level up to the same point, then you end up equally balanced, and the only thing that really breaks the stalemate at that point, is finishing off enemy heroes so you can push before they respawn.

I'd say more time like mid-late 30s is more accurate for maxing all your skills, but maybe that's because I mainly use Voltar and a lot of his stuff is pricey. I definitely think if you're going for a specific focus in your build you can have it close to finished by about 25 or so.

It's not that it makes it impossible to win when the other team is winning, just harder and sometimes you might have one enemy much higher but a couple of weaker links for you to capitalize on. The weakness of being higher levelled is longer respawn though so you have to work for it harder but if you can get an ace you can push really hard and potentially win it off one of those. Good teamwork can be a force multiplier and let you break stalemates or sieges from higher levels. I think the feeding aspect is something people just need to be made aware of since the game is quite arcadey and it's not necessarily obvious how much you put them ahead by feeding them several hundred across a game.

Apple Jax
May 19, 2008

IDIC 4 LYF
It was mentioned a few posts back, but the community for Awesomenauts (on PC) is some sort of bizzaro internet community. I've encountered NICE people. People who congratulate me on my kills and generally communicate in a civil manner without mentioning or commenting on my mother once and almost always say "gg" at the end. What is going on here?

duffath
May 9, 2007

Apple Jax posted:

It was mentioned a few posts back, but the community for Awesomenauts (on PC) is some sort of bizzaro internet community. I've encountered NICE people. People who congratulate me on my kills and generally communicate in a civil manner without mentioning or commenting on my mother once and almost always say "gg" at the end. What is going on here?

I imagine it's not in-depth/hardcore enough for DOTA/LOL. From the stories I hear in the Griefing thread it seems that part of the draw of those MOBAs is that they are incredibly unforgiving and attract insane OCD sauvant perfectionists, which just isn't the case in awesomenauts, which is to the game's credit. It's pretty simple, yet surprisingly varied for a game that has 3 buttons for the entirety of your characters abilities, easy to pick up and play. Quite opposite to the other MOBAs so hence I believe they just don't like it since they see it as "baby's first MOBA" or something.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
Well, the community isn't perfect and sometimes you get people who will tell you you suck without any advice on how not to suck. The other day, I was playing as Coco and kept getting mugged by all three of the other team so our Leon tells me at least three times to just leave because he'd rather have a bot. I stuck around, though, because I could see that although they were doing better kill-wise, they just couldn't make that last push. I believe their team was voltar, gnaw and Lonestar. Long story short, despite a ten level difference, we made a crazy rush through their defense and ended up winning the match.

Underdog moments like that make this game so addictive.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Goddamnit, who has the login info for the metatag? I need more XBox goons to play this with. My gamertag is cj coyo7e if you see a random invite from me, that's what's up, stop watching netflix you sissies! :argh:

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Patch 1.4 was announced. Mainly, they nerf Froggy a bit, modify some of Coco's skills, make Voltar's healing totem waay more powerful so he's a better healer than Yuri, and tweak some Derpl skills.

Derpl can now upgrade his turret for a chance to stun, which sounds really interesting.

------------------------

Froggy G
-Splash dash cooldown increased from 6 sec to 7 sec
-Mutant Worms price reduced from 165 Solar to 110 Solar
-Thorn Fish price increased from 280 Solar to 450 Solar
-Can't touch this will no longer protect from status effects such as blind, stun and snare.

Coco Nebulon
-Lightning ball, Conducting gel price increased from 180 Solar to 210 Solar.
-NEW! Lightning ball, Heavenly fire now adds a blaze effect to lightning ball instead of increasing explosion size.
-Blaze, Time travel turbine price reduced from 165 Solar to 100 Solar.
-NEW! Electrify, Super conductor now adds homing electricity particles to your attack instead of increasing damage against turrets. Dealing 3 damage per particle.
-Blaze, Damage duration decreased from 2.5 sec to 2 sec and the ticktime decreased from 0.5 sec to 0.4 sec.
-Base health decreased from 135 to 125

Voltar
-Healbot, range increased from 6,6 to 8
-Healbot, Turret add-on attack rate increased from 30 to 240
-Healbot, Turret add-on damage decreased from 20 to 2
-Drones, Health increased from 15 to 20
-Drones, cooldown reduced from 12 sec to 11 sec

Derpl
-Catshot, Hoovercats now fly straight
-NEW! Siege mode, Iron fist bullets now give a chance to stun the target instead of doing knockback.
-Siege mode, Iron fist bullets stun duration 0.5 sec with a stun chance of 10%
-Siege mode, Derpl is now unable to jump during the transformation.
-Siege mode, base damage 9 > 10, Hollow point bullet upgrade split into two upgrades adding 2 damage each.

Leon
-Tongue pull, Cheese & Garlic mints silence duration increased from 0.5 sec to 0.75 sec

Yuri
-Laser, Flyswatter price reduced from 270 Solar to 165 Solar

Gnaw
-Acid Spit will no longer disappear when fired close to a wall.
-Acid Spit, Feather ball price reduced from 220 Solar to 180 Solar

duffath
May 9, 2007

Polo-Rican posted:

Patch 1.4 was announced. Mainly, they nerf Froggy a bit, modify some of Coco's skills, make Voltar's healing totem waay more powerful so he's a better healer than Yuri, and tweak some Derpl skills.

Derpl can now upgrade his turret for a chance to stun, which sounds really interesting.

Most people are seeing the Voltar tweaks as sort of nerfs. The only meaningful buff is the range on his healing turret. The DoT from the damage thing I thought was an okay was to change it, but it's not really been favourably received by the rest of the community and they'd rather the occassional spike for 20/40.

As for his healing. He's not really going to be a decent healer unless they buff his healing beam again. Currently he can't keep Team-mates alive for poo poo and as such he feels like dead-weight and is not really enjoyable. All you can do is spam heal upgrades and constantly play catch-up to growing damage you'll never be able to properly mitigate unless you sacrifice everything else. Not that you have much else to do anyway. Price and damage changes on drones make weaponised hull not a very worthwhile investment anymore.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

The only way to make Voltar a feasible healer now is to use his healbot right off the bat. They should lower the price or increase the effectiveness of his DoT heals, though. With the way healbots damage is going to work now, the damage will be sustained but in very small increments rather than bursts. That's fine, as long as it can still damage turrets too. Why the hell did they have to make thorn fish so expensive, though? It's such a ridiculous jump in price. All I can guess is that they don't want Froggy players to buy it right out of the gate.

Captain Ironblood
Nov 9, 2009
The spike was much better since you could drop it down into a group of 'nauts from above and nuke them for a quick spike of damage. That usually sent them running, if not outright killed them. Now, who would stick around long enough to be damaged any considerable amount?

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

I think the turret was supposed to be more a ward than an actual killing tool. To even this out, though, I think the drones should have some sort of combined fire upgrade that allows them to do big bursts of damage instead of chipping away at targets.

duffath
May 9, 2007

Captain Ironblood posted:

The spike was much better since you could drop it down into a group of 'nauts from above and nuke them for a quick spike of damage. That usually sent them running, if not outright killed them. Now, who would stick around long enough to be damaged any considerable amount?

Well it still sort of functions as space control psychologically...for a while....until people realise they can survive running through it and taking a few minutes ganking Voltar while standing in it.

jodai posted:

The only way to make Voltar a feasible healer now is to use his healbot right off the bat. They should lower the price or increase the effectiveness of his DoT heals, though. With the way healbots damage is going to work now, the damage will be sustained but in very small increments rather than bursts. That's fine, as long as it can still damage turrets too. Why the hell did they have to make thorn fish so expensive, though? It's such a ridiculous jump in price. All I can guess is that they don't want Froggy players to buy it right out of the gate.

To be fair healbot right off the bat was my recommended start. One of V's only self-heals so it meant I could stay on the front lines a lot more consistently.

With regards to Froggy G. He's undebatably the most OP character in the game right now. Tonnes of damage and silly good kill-ability with a relatively miniscule risk to him. This was either with Splash dash > Tornado or Thorn fish upgrade.

The thing about Thorn fish (the one that gives double bullets right? correct me if I'm wrong) was that it only cost like 150-odd solar and it doubled his damage output which with complimentary gun upgrades is absolutely ridiculous DPS...like he outdamages even high health clunks using explode and bite and everything and splash dash is a free chase/escape however he sees fit. What's interesting is that people wouldn't seem to mind Froggy G as a character if he was a true carry and it actually cost reasonable money to get him to OP levels, but the fact that he can do it so fast is incredibly obnoxious for any team to have to deal with.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Not disagreeing however, I can have a fully-maxxed out leon at like 2000 solar, whereas with Froggy I need to take multiple ranks of most of the upgrades I want/need.

FWIW with Froggy I bring 1 stun bonus, and 2 cooldown reduction perks. I ignore his gun entirely for the mot part, instead concentrating on the dash->tornado->dash out combo, since it's not tough to get your cooldown on dash to 3-4 seconds.

duffath
May 9, 2007

coyo7e posted:

Not disagreeing however, I can have a fully-maxxed out leon at like 2000 solar, whereas with Froggy I need to take multiple ranks of most of the upgrades I want/need.

FWIW with Froggy I bring 1 stun bonus, and 2 cooldown reduction perks. I ignore his gun entirely for the mot part, instead concentrating on the dash->tornado->dash out combo, since it's not tough to get your cooldown on dash to 3-4 seconds.

I dislike how easy Leon is too, but not really with the upgrade costs. I think he's generally too good and easy to play. The fact that invis allows for free getaways is a bit brainless and doesn't really do anything to teach bad Leon players how to not suck, so it's either hilarious or mind-numbingly obnoxious depending on whether they're making GBS threads up a space on your team or not. It shouldn't be that good as an escape IMO.

With regards to Froggy I get that you need multiple upgrades of stuff, but it's still relatively cheap and thornfish needed a price increase for how good it was. Froggy is also regarded as the strongest character when maxed, which makes him fine for being a carry and most people don't have a problem with him being so strong late game, but his growth tends to be leaps and bounds above everyone else so he has a comparatively easy time early game for a character who most people are regarding as a late-game carry.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

duffath posted:

I dislike how easy Leon is too, but not really with the upgrade costs. I think he's generally too good and easy to play. The fact that invis allows for free getaways is a bit brainless and doesn't really do anything to teach bad Leon players how to not suck, so it's either hilarious or mind-numbingly obnoxious depending on whether they're making GBS threads up a space on your team or not. It shouldn't be that good as an escape IMO.

With regards to Froggy I get that you need multiple upgrades of stuff, but it's still relatively cheap and thornfish needed a price increase for how good it was. Froggy is also regarded as the strongest character when maxed, which makes him fine for being a carry and most people don't have a problem with him being so strong late game, but his growth tends to be leaps and bounds above everyone else so he has a comparatively easy time early game for a character who most people are regarding as a late-game carry.
I feel that Leon's mot effective build is pretty much Decoy->attacking decoy->walking decoy, and after that, well, you don't really need anything else, and can pick and choose as the situation demands. The clones are far too good at dropping bots halfway across the map from where you shat them out, and two clones and a couple of bots is pretty much gauranteed for me to knock half the health off of a turret or base, before anyone can respond (at which point I vanish, making GBS threads out one more attacker.) I get a LOT of frags with drones as well.

Then take into account the tongue (all you need is range+silence, imho) and then look at the fact that unlike most characters, Leon can literally heal himself with every button at his disposal (lifesteal tongue/sword, regen cloak, regen basic). I don't even bother with speed on him anymore, and rarely go for health, it's just so goddamned easy to spit out decoys on both lanes and the jungle simultaneously, and then enjoy free solar and health while you wait to cherry-pick frags.

I guess I changed my mid about how "OP" he is by playing him, it's not that I feel he's too powerful at killing players (that ought to be his main job,) but that he's remarkably well-rounded, and possibly even better than Lonestar at solo pushes which usually require more than player parity (ie, it often takes two people or more, to stop 1 decent Leon,) to counteract.

Apple Jax
May 19, 2008

IDIC 4 LYF
Romino just posted this to their facebook page:

Looks like different skins/costumes for the characters. I wonder if it'll be free or if it'll be micro-payments or something.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

What do you guys think of the latest patch? My impressions so far are that Coco's new upgrades are too expensive for how much use I got out of them but it is nice to have a little more range with her basic attack. I really enjoyed using Voltar already, even in his gimped form, but the increase of range on the turret has made him really effective at pushing towers again, especially since he doesn't have to be as close anymore. Also, I think the healbots lower damage takes a lot of people by surprise because they don't think it's a big deal and so I've gotten more kills now than before, when people were more wary of it.

Those two are the only ones I've tried so far.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Apple Jax posted:

Romino just posted this to their facebook page:

Looks like different skins/costumes for the characters. I wonder if it'll be free or if it'll be micro-payments or something.

Looks like a bit more than just alternate skins to me. That Clunk seems to have a bullet shell flying out of his gun, and the Gnaw I guess on the far left has functional wings. Fully remixed characters, maybe?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The Silver Snail posted:

Looks like a bit more than just alternate skins to me. That Clunk seems to have a bullet shell flying out of his gun, and the Gnaw I guess on the far left has functional wings. Fully remixed characters, maybe?

Looks like Leon has a fencing sabre, as well.

John Q. Sixpublic
Oct 8, 2008
I consider Coco to have been nerfed, since the extra range on the sparks is not a significant increase in dps compared to maxed attack speed melee damage, plus the lifesteal doesn't work for the sparks. The extra lightning from theball is a gimmcik and goes away once you detonate the projectile, so it's basically paying for something useless that isn't there most of the time.

Coco is squishy, has a subpar jump and bad melee, especially against turret's where its easy to drift into them past your minions when trying to melee with them. Here ball is useful but a Leon tongue pull accomplishes the same thing usually. here lifesteal build was funny to catch people by surprise but it's not a game winner if people don't fall for it.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
It looks like they added the costume DLC they've been hinting at.

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/16795/

Apple Jax
May 19, 2008

IDIC 4 LYF

miscellaneous14 posted:

It looks like they added the costume DLC they've been hinting at.

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/16795/

The costumes are pretty lame. Yuri's isn't bad since it's just an alternate on his normal look. But the others are really lovely. Gnaw as a bee? Voltar with a disco head? Both of those are just lazy. Besides not making any sense it doesn't mesh with the rest of the game. Also, what is Froggy's even supposed to be?

Why they're spending the time on that and not a new map or hero is a little confusing.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

$15??? Ahahahaha yeah, that sounds worth it. Especially since only like 2 of the costumes are funny / interesting.

ColonelMuttonchops
Feb 18, 2011

Young Orc
You guys missed the patch notes. http://www.awesomenauts.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=5303

In other news, Voltar got nerfed again. And some other things, but seriously, what the gently caress's wrong with Voltar?

Apple Jax
May 19, 2008

IDIC 4 LYF
Also, they supposedly added a new platform to the 404 Station map and fixed the lovely AI for the flying bots. I'm curious about what changed.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
Remember that one time when Valve nerfed the hell out of the Medic in TF2 to the point where he was so ineffective at his primary duty, no one wanted to play him again*? :shepface:

Seriously, I'm really wondering what's the deal here. It could be another case like when Uber Entertainment only listened to the loudmouth idiots on their forums on how to balance Super Monday Night Combat.

*this never actually happened

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

miscellaneous14 posted:

Seriously, I'm really wondering what's the deal here. It could be another case like when Uber Entertainment only listened to the loudmouth idiots on their forums on how to balance Super Monday Night Combat.

This is still better than "instant kills are no fun, everyone gets a million health now".

Actually come to think of it I hated Voltar anyway because of that.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I love how even if you but the skins as a bundle so you don't pay full price it's still 50% more expensive than the full game.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
For skins with no actual impact on gameplay in a $10, it really needs to be 3-5 dollars for all nine. The fact that all nine together is more expensive than the game itself is quite frankly bizarre.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

There's a new awesomenaut on the way and his name is Skolldir. He's a Viking and looks like a melee/tank. He can throw people over his shoulder and butt stomp the ground. To be honest, he looks kinda overpowered but we will see. As far as I've seen, no word on if he will be accompanied by a gameplay patch but I think it's safe to assume that some things are going to be tweaked.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
Hey Honeydew, you can come out now! :)

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/09/30/new-awesomenauts-character-voiced-by-simon-from-the-yogscast/

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

jodai posted:

There's a new awesomenaut on the way and his name is Skolldir. He's a Viking and looks like a melee/tank. He can throw people over his shoulder and butt stomp the ground. To be honest, he looks kinda overpowered but we will see. As far as I've seen, no word on if he will be accompanied by a gameplay patch but I think it's safe to assume that some things are going to be tweaked.
Looks like he's got a projected fist attack that may resemble da bull.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
1.6 update is live and patch notes are up. Voltar got a slight buff to his drones. Here's a link to the free Yogscast skin for the new 'Naut if you fancy that sort of thing.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Added Skolldir to the OP like a Good Goon, even though I stopped playing this game a few weeks ago. I still have a soft spot for this game, but there were a few months where I played it a lot and I burned myself out on it.

I find Yogscast totally intolerable but I do like Skolldir's voice!

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Did they ever fix matchmaking for this or is it still drop in games and leavers?

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Still player hosted, they added a larger XP bonus for drop-ins and penalty for rage quitters, but its moot because only idiots care about rank and the leaderboards. Matchmaking seems better, but it's only by virtue of more people actually playing the game now. Once the allure of the update is over and there's less people interested, it's probably going back to the dismal state it was. Balkanizing the already small player base was the dumbest thing Ronimo could do to fix matchmaking, I expect Awesomenauts is going to share the same fate as Monday Night Combat if they don't come up with something better.

Brinty
Aug 4, 2012
Good lord the changes to people's leaderboard scoring made me shoot up from 2000 or so all the way up to 210th and my friend up to 93rd.

I guess this means I can pretend to be good at the game now.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

moot the hopple posted:

Still player hosted, they added a larger XP bonus for drop-ins and penalty for rage quitters, but its moot because only idiots care about rank and the leaderboards. Matchmaking seems better, but it's only by virtue of more people actually playing the game now. Once the allure of the update is over and there's less people interested, it's probably going back to the dismal state it was. Balkanizing the already small player base was the dumbest thing Ronimo could do to fix matchmaking, I expect Awesomenauts is going to share the same fate as Monday Night Combat if they don't come up with something better.

I don't think this is the case considering Ronimo, unlike Uber, actually made other games in the past and is fully capable of just moving onto another project separate from Awesomenauts. The reason SMNC turned out so badly was because they were in a rush to get the game monetized before they could make it good.

Although I think adding a dedicated server function would help newer players who keep getting matched against pros.

sammage
Apr 12, 2008

miscellaneous14 posted:

Although I think adding a dedicated server function would help newer players who keep getting matched against pros.

This is definitely true, especially with the leaderboards being reset recently. 4 of my matches in the past two days have been against 3 of the current top 10 players who always group together. They've always been very polite and nice about destroying us solo queuers, and it's always inspiring to see incredible players in action, but it's getting a little frustrating.

Another 4 matches have been hosted by people with dodgy connections. One game was restarted a few times because it would drop every player in the game every minute or so, until that host left. Another game was done with everyone at 250 ping to the host. If this game had dedicated servers so many problems would be solved with the matchmaking, it would be like a different game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
I hadn't played in a while, so I tried out both Gnaw and Skolldir for the first time. Out of the two, I think I really like Skolldir better just for how much fun it is to chain-stun dudes with the stomp and punch combo. Plus one of his kill lines is literally "See you later, shitlords!". I wish the structure of the game's matchmaking could have the same amount of polish as the characters.

One of the things I find really strange is that, unless they changed it again recently, they nixed Lonestar's really fun point-blank dynamite capability, but left in his massive damage output if you just put all your money in his blaster and nothing else. It's obnoxious as hell to fight as a heavier class when he can circle-strafe you so easily while doing ridiculous amounts of DPS.

• Locked thread