Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Slifter posted:

That is true, but so is living to see 30.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9Gnpdh0Lls&t=231s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.

mindphlux posted:

I can't really think of what would make me want to divorce this girl, which is why I was thinking of getting married to begin with. :(

Currently breaking up with my gf (I think) pay me no mind.

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

Industrial revolution has flipped the bitch on evolution.

Halalelujah posted:

Aw that sucks. I hope you feel better soon.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Welp. Between the gf and myself we have 4 majors and three minors. And with her getting canned, neither of us are using any of them anymore. :smith: We will put em to good use I guess running a farm, eh? :v:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Casu Marzu posted:

Welp. Between the gf and myself we have 4 majors and three minors. And with her getting canned, neither of us are using any of them anymore. :smith: We will put em to good use I guess running a farm, eh? :v:

Let me tell you a thing about going back to the land...

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Let me tell you a thing about going back to the land...

Been there, done that. I've been running my own place for just about a year now. Feels good, man.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

GrAviTy84 posted:

So true. Classic examples of this are oxtails, shanks, lobster, oysters, and pork belly.

Whale. Used to be the poorest man's meat for ages. Now it's highly priced and sought after.

Also delicious, which it might not have been in earlier years due to bad temperatures of the meat before bringing it onto shore.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Casu Marzu posted:

Been there, done that. I've been running my own place for just about a year now. Feels good, man.

No poo poo? Where you at? What you raising how's your market etc.?

Let's get some farmchat up in this hizzouse.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

No poo poo? Where you at? What you raising how's your market etc.?

Let's get some farmchat up in this hizzouse.

Kind of inherited an old farm in WI. Started out as a hobby farm with some milk cows and maybe an acre of veg. Then I expanded it to various veggies on about 10 acres for the farmers market circuit around here. Trying to revive an older apple and cherry orchard this summer as well as boarding horses.

It is currently all over the place, haven't really found my niche yet, or decided if I want to go into this for the long haul.

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

Casu Marzu posted:

Kind of inherited an old farm in WI.

Oh god where did you put the bodies?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Walk Away posted:

Oh god where did you put the bodies?

Real cooks don't leave behind a body. :colbert:

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

Maybe just a carcass for some hearty stock later.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Walk Away posted:

Maybe just a carcass for some hearty stock later.

Stock, and then you grind that poo poo to bonemeal. :chef:

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Halalelujah posted:

hey i also did that today! (gf of one year)

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
How much bonemeal you get out of a girlfriend?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

mindphlux posted:

is it cheesy to propose in a restaurant

I called the restaurant in advance and asked for a private table.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Marriage is a bum deal, avoid it at all costs.

(and my relationship with my GF is going just fine)

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Casu Marzu posted:

Kind of inherited an old farm in WI. Started out as a hobby farm with some milk cows and maybe an acre of veg. Then I expanded it to various veggies on about 10 acres for the farmers market circuit around here. Trying to revive an older apple and cherry orchard this summer as well as boarding horses.

It is currently all over the place, haven't really found my niche yet, or decided if I want to go into this for the long haul.

Long haul is really life commitment, which is what a lot of folks getting into it don't realize, I think. And it's not a secure commitment, either. This year cows are great, and alfalfa is pretty good, and we got real bumper crops from the fruit trees and such; but at the same time, the bottom fell out of the hog and chicken markets around here. Also, it was a terrible water year, and if we don't get a lot more snowpack in the Sierra this year we are completely screwed for growing things next year. But this winter we'll eat well.

Keep up the horse boarding - there is always money in that if there's people with horses around. You should also learn to be a ferrier to expand your service offering, assuming you're not already in the shoeing business.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Yeah boarding horses singlehandedly kept the farm well in the black this year. The summer long drought conditions killed off a lot of my early crops.

I really enjoy farming, but I dunno if this is something I could commit to in the long term. I get restless staying in one spot too long. We'll see, maybe I have found the thing I want to do forever.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

I've been married for 11 months to the day. It's not too bad, aside from living in Iowa now. Don't get married.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Casu Marzu posted:

Welp. Between the gf and myself we have 4 majors and three minors. And with her getting canned, neither of us are using any of them anymore.

it gets worse. wait until you decide a masters is a good idea because you aren't using your undergrad. and then after you graduate, wait until you decide that because you're not using all your lovely liberal arts undergrad and masters degrees, that you should get a more practical law degree. :gonk:

Eat This Glob posted:

I've been married for 11 months to the day. It's not too bad, aside from living in Iowa now. Don't get married.

what in the

iowa

christ :gonk:

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Sep 20, 2012

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

If you love someone maybe getting married is a good idea. If you think it is you should do it :)

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mindphlux posted:

what in the

iowa

christ :gonk:

I'm moving to Iowa fulltime this Friday. :colbert:

I'm already brainstorming for what to make for the local Pumpkin Festival recipe contest.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

mindphlux posted:

it gets worse. wait until you decide a masters is a good idea because you aren't using your undergrad. and then after you graduate, wait until you decide that because you're not using all your lovely liberal arts undergrad and masters degrees, that you should get a more practical law degree. :gonk:

That's basically how I ended up in a PhD program.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

GrAviTy84 posted:

That's basically how I ended up in a PhD program.

hopefully that will at least finally end well for you though. my gal landed a job at a lawfirm making 2-3x what I make, and I thought I was doing pretty aight in the world. I have a couple friends also in PhD programs, and they seem to think their job prospects are going to turn out pretty frosty.

me, I just have all these degrees and basically don't use them v:)v

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Sep 20, 2012

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Eat This Glob posted:

I'm a week away from being married for four years. And I think marriage is great.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Marriage is p. cool.
I've been making pakoras for 2 years. I've probably made enough of them fill a U-haul truck. Yesterday I finally, finally figured out how to make them without burning the poo poo out of my hands - and it didn't involve cockamamie schemes like pancake batter dispensers. It involved using a loving serving spoon instead of my fingers to drop the batter into the oil. I feel like the dumbest person on earth. My only consolation is that none of the previous pakora-cooks figured that out either.

Also my boss wants me get a food manager's certification, which would be neat on my resume but I'm pretty done with food service at this point, although it looks like I'm stuck with it for the time being.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Humboldt squid posted:

It involved using a loving serving spoon instead of my fingers to drop the batter into the oil. I feel like the dumbest person on earth.

The first time I came to that realisation, I felt even dumber.

Because I used a plastic spoon.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
I've been known to use a pair of cooking chopsticks ...

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Look at these married chumps spending their lives with someone who loves them.

:smith:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Eat This Glob posted:

If your SO isn't worth living in an awful, terrible, lovely place, they aren't worth marrying. I'm in a goddamned desert and he's still worth it. I just go out and flip off the sun every so often and everything's grand. You could flip off the corn fields?

:3: I hope she says yes, mindphlux.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Keep up the horse boarding - there is always money in that if there's people with horses around. You should also learn to be a ferrier to expand your service offering, assuming you're not already in the shoeing business.

Is there like, a school or a certification that you have to get for this to do it legally to other people's horses?

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Iowa is not a terrible place, it's just a rural place. Don't flip off the corn fields, eat them - drive around on dirt roads until you find a farmer sitting on the side of his field with a sign selling sweet corn for 25 cents an ear, fill up your trunk, then go home and fill your freezer. Enjoy living somewhere that has not only the climate for an actual garden, but good soil too. Seasons are pretty nice too, I miss those. We're just finishing up with Too Goddamn Hot and moving toward Slightly Cooler But With Higher Humidity And More Tourists here.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

bartolimu posted:

Iowa is not a terrible place, it's just a rural place. Don't flip off the corn fields, eat them - drive around on dirt roads until you find a farmer sitting on the side of his field with a sign selling sweet corn for 25 cents an ear, fill up your trunk, then go home and fill your freezer. Enjoy living somewhere that has not only the climate for an actual garden, but good soil too. Seasons are pretty nice too, I miss those. We're just finishing up with Too Goddamn Hot and moving toward Slightly Cooler But With Higher Humidity And More Tourists here.

I was just joshing about the Iowa thing. I actually drug my wife here, to the town I grew up in, from the picturesque lakes region of New Hampshire where she's lived her entire life until now. She's loving being able to garden, and it's so damned cheap to live here in the sticks. My mortgage payment (over seven years) is a quarter of what we were paying in rent. While I don't have the mountains to look at everyday anymore, I can't complain.

Also, I was just out at our county conservation office when they were harvesting the summer's honey. I got a free 16 oz bottle of their wildflower honey :coal:

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

Eat This Glob posted:

I was just joshing about the Iowa thing. I actually drug my wife here, to the town I grew up in, from the picturesque lakes region of New Hampshire where she's lived her entire life until now. She's loving being able to garden, and it's so damned cheap to live here in the sticks. My mortgage payment (over seven years) is a quarter of what we were paying in rent. While I don't have the mountains to look at everyday anymore, I can't complain.

Also, I was just out at our county conservation office when they were harvesting the summer's honey. I got a free 16 oz bottle of their wildflower honey :coal:

I almost want to live somewhere like that but I think I've been in So. Cal. way too long (my whole life). I mean, I would love to have a property with some land near the woods, a big yard and a place to garden/raise chickens and whatnot but goddamn I think that I would get so bored. I guess it's something of a pipe dream for me.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Walk Away posted:

I almost want to live somewhere like that but I think I've been in So. Cal. way too long (my whole life). I mean, I would love to have a property with some land near the woods, a big yard and a place to garden/raise chickens and whatnot but goddamn I think that I would get so bored. I guess it's something of a pipe dream for me.

I thought so too, but I moved back here after 8 years away in a larger city, and I'm absolutely loving it. The area I'm in is so perfect. I have dozens of lakes and rivers to fish and kayak in, hundreds of miles of roads for biking or just enjoying a nice drive, minimal light pollution at night so I can see the milky way on a dark night stretching across the sky, and being able to grow like 90% of the veggies I eat? So nice. Living is cheap too.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I spent my whole life in SoCal as well until I moved out to the middle of nowhere, and I discovered that the slower pace of life really is a lot better. In fact, I find that I have much less free time now than I ever had before.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Look at these married chumps spending their lives with someone who loves them.

:smith:

Protip: Die alone.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Britgoonswithspoons, I need your assistance. I'm probably heading over to the UK for a couple of weeks next year (hopefully for a honeymoon) and the rough schedule is a week or so in London then some time up in Scotland split between Sterling and Glasgow. Having not been to London before what part of town should I be looking to stay in if I want to be close to subway transit so that I can get to cool things in the city? Any areas to avoid do to roving packs of dogs/chavs/tourists?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I lived in Glasgow for 2 years. Trust me, it's pointless.

No idea about Sterling.

If in Scotland, go to Edinburgh, it's interesting. Also go to the Isle of Skye, it's great.

London is awesome, which is where I am right now. You can stay anywhere you like, the Tube is everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Make sure you check out the overground and the buses, too. Overground is really cheap compared to the tube, and the buses, whilst slower, allow you see sights and beautiful buildings that you would miss on the tube. As a good rule of thumb, you probably want to be staying at least inside zone 3 of the tube. Further out from the centre than that is a bit far from the action.

Also, I agree with Steakandchips: Edinburgh is by a long way the best thing in Scotland; Glasgow is OK-ish, but Stirling really has nothing going for it.

Oh, and dogs/chavs/tourists are unavoidable.

Edit: And, when you're in London go to the Dali Universe on the South Bank. It's ace.

Scientastic fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Sep 20, 2012