Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Got a full extraction earlier on Reapers Reactor Platinum. Just roving around the map loving everything up rather than farming. Awesome stuff, based on the success I'm assuming it was either crazy eastern european guys or goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Elotana posted:

Piranha Shotgun
- Clip size decreased from 8 to 6

Carnifex Pistol
- Encumbrance increased from [1.0-0.5] to [1.2-0.7]

Those numbers aren't at all frightening. At best, it's reasonable. At worst, it'll throw off someone who's crazy about exact cooldown times and button rhythms.

I'm going to follow The New Black's lead and start another friend request wave. My GT is SciFiDownBeat.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
The Raptor buff was surprisingly useful if you want to give it a try now.

Raptor:Indra::Mattock:Harrier

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Lagomorphic posted:

I've got a Typhoon V and a Harrier II and honestly I get more use out of the Harrier. With the spin up the Typhoon is really lovely for taking down infantry. It's great for the big stuff but so is the Piranha and Hurricane and they're both a hell of lot lighter. I have a feeling that I'll be using the Typhoon a lot more after next Tuesday though.

The spin-up's only really a problem if you're going after lone guys; if you're firing at a group it's still effective.

Typhoon's heavy as gently caress, but I only use it on classes that don't care about weight, so I don't mind. Also means I can equip something else for the situations where it's not optimal (Crusader or Piranha, depending on stuff).

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Didn't see this posted yet; it's a new infographic

The extra 10% cooldown on the Carnifex means nothing but the lower clip size on the Piranha will hurt damage output on weapon classes.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

:catstare:

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Oh please, who hasn't killed a Banshee with Snap F- wait, two at once? :monocle: I wasn't even aware the sweep did damage. Very nice.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Yeah I really wish I'd FRAPSed that. Sure there was a Destroyer with a PPR next to me doing most of the damage but it's all about finishing with style :dukedog:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I'm not sure whether that's less or more amazing than the quadruple [Phase Disruptor] Phantom screen a while back.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I'm not sure whether that's less or more amazing than the quadruple [Phase Disruptor] Phantom screen a while back.

More, definitely. Phase Disruptor is good enough that's not really surprising, plus you can spam it a little so that's not necessarily all with the same shot.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
The best killfeed alerts are [Supply Pylon] and [Shield Mastery].

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I really wish they would stop doing these challenges that can't be done with public groups until they figured out how to tell PS3 players the requirements for the objectives.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Dr. Abysmal posted:

The first time I got a [Shield Mastery] kill was from punting somewhere around the fifth phantom that game. My first reaction was "um, thanks for the compliment, game?" Then I remembered that was what the fitness tree was called and maybe the cryo shield actually did a touch of extra damage. :downs:

I'm still not sure how the gently caress the Supply Pylon gets kills, but I have seen it once or twice in the feed. ...Huh, a quick look at the wiki reveals:
"Supply Pylon deals damage to enemies caught in the explosion as a new Supply Pylon is cast, allowing it to be used as a remotely activated mine."

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I've gotten [Pull] Atlas and [Tactical Scan] Geth Prime before. (All powers, no matter their effects, do a very tiny amount of contact damage, you can observe this with Swarmers)

I get mad Phase Disruptor kill feeds all the time when I'm stagger spamming with the Slayer. You can get them too, just rush spawns on Waves 10 or 11 of Cerb/Gold. One of them will have four Phantoms in a group and with radius + shield damage none of them will even get off a shot.

Elotana fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Sep 20, 2012

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Felinoid posted:

I'm still not sure how the gently caress the Supply Pylon gets kills, but I have seen it once or twice in the feed. ...Huh, a quick look at the wiki reveals:
"Supply Pylon deals damage to enemies caught in the explosion as a new Supply Pylon is cast, allowing it to be used as a remotely activated mine."

well, I'll be. I was wondering how the hell I got a supply pylon kill on the extraction wave of an enemy I never saw. Must've been in radius of my old one when I popped out a new pylon in the LZ, and then extraction kills and credits anything that's taken any damage.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Felinoid posted:

This gives me a very strange, irrational desire to try to engineer this function to reliably get kills by dropping the Supply Pylon on spawns, running to the other side of the map, and blowing it up like an incredibly slow and awkward C4.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
How does [Shield Mastery] even work? I got it once but I have no idea how.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

I discovered yet another bug today while running Indra/Tempest on my Turian Sentinel: If you equip two weapons of unequal levels and AP ammo, you will only be able to pierce cover with the higher-level weapon. (Which meant I had to switch to the Tempest to kill Guardians)

You still get the damage bonus against armor with both, though.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

I only remember seeing it when I hit something with the shield and it knocked them out of the map boundaries to their death. I think it's related to having the fire or ice effect applied to it, it must do some damage. I believe kills due to map ejection are attributed to the last thing that hit the enemy before it fell to its death and it saw the fire/ice damage from Shield Mastery last.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Elotana posted:

I discovered yet another bug today while running Indra/Tempest on my Turian Sentinel: If you equip two weapons of unequal levels and AP ammo, you will only be able to pierce cover with the higher-level weapon. (Which meant I had to switch to the Tempest to kill Guardians)

You still get the damage bonus against armor with both, though.

Yeah, AP ammo only applies to whichever gun you start the game equipped with. I'm not sure how it picks which gun it is when both are at X, but the bug still happens in that circumstance as well.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I only remember seeing it when I hit something with the shield and it knocked them out of the map boundaries to their death. I think it's related to having the fire or ice effect applied to it, it must do some damage. I believe kills due to map ejection are attributed to the last thing that hit the enemy before it fell to its death and it saw the fire/ice damage from Shield Mastery last.

Afaik whatever did the most recent damage gets credit in these situations so that makes sense. I had a Brute jump off the map to it's death on Rio (trying to use it's charge attack) and got a sweet combat drone kill on it despite it being full health

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Psion posted:

It is my goal to 255 the consumables just so I can never use them again. I will then put a Shuriken with ULM and stability on every character and play nothing but default human adept with shockwave and singularity.

You goddamn monster.

Dr. Abysmal posted:

The best killfeed alerts are [Supply Pylon]

:smug:

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

If an enemy tries a melee attack on you, the shield will reflect it with the fire/ice evolution if you have it, so maybe that's what the kill feed calls it.

The New Black
Oct 1, 2006

Had it, lost it.

Lagomorphic posted:

I've spent a ridiculous amount of time playing this game and my highest ultra-rare is V. My Sabre's still at I as well. Also I think you meant Vindicator there, not that it matters they're both lovely guns that no one should use.

Well I was using it with a scope, and even on a Turian Soldier with maxed stability bonuses and in cover I would still only ever hit the first shot before the recoil made all the others spray over the target's head. That was what reminded me of the Incisor.

Speaking of lovely guns that no one should use, as a ME2 Locust nostalgic I'm glad to say the latest buff makes it at least a bit useable. On Human Engi I found that overload and a quick burst to the head (scoped) was actually a decent way to kill most trash mobs. Still useless against bosses but hey that's what incinerate is for.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

CharlestonJew posted:

If an enemy tries a melee attack on you, the shield will reflect it with the fire/ice evolution if you have it, so maybe that's what the kill feed calls it.
That sounds about right. I think it also does a little damage when you bring the shield down. I went heavy melee --> place new shield and the act of throwing it down got me ColonelMuffin [Shield Mastery] Combat Engineer in the killfeed.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

This N7 Shadow business may not be worth the trouble. The N7 Fury was tough to use at first but got exponentially more rewarding as I learned how to use it and found one or two good weapons for it, the Shadow is just getting more and more frustrating as I keep trying to use it.

Haven't even gone up past Silver with it but it's been a painful reminder of why I don't play many infiltrators. The way enemies arbitrarily react (or don't, as it were) to cloak at unpredictable times for for no consistent reason makes it constantly feel like less of a high-risk-high-reward thing and more of a nonstop gamble. It's also reminded me how bollocks ravager acid is, which is absolutely never consistent in how much/how long it damages you. Sometimes you stop taking damage as soon as you leave the acid, other times it keeps going for about 10 seconds and your shields don't come back for even longer for some reason.

I did get the sword gun glitch twice though, which (while meaningless) is fun to look at.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
It's hilarious just how little N7 rank means in this game. Tonight I've seen one guy with an N7 of 300 running Harrier V and Talon V, and another with N7 of ~700 running a Carnifex II.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Sometimes you stop taking damage as soon as you leave the acid, other times it keeps going for about 10 seconds and your shields don't come back for even longer for some reason.
Nah, I don't think acid damage is what kills you - it's Swarmers biting you in the rear end. Each hit from one will apply a sizable amount of DoT, which can easily kill you off you've already taken damage from elsewhere. Unless you stay undetected and OHK it, a Ravager will pop one of its Swarmer sacks if it sees someone close by, and the Shadow being rather squishy means certain death if all of them hit you.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Noone ever tells me I'm horribly wrong with these guides, so I'm just gonna assume I'm some sort of tactical genius. :zaeed:

Kick rear end, take names, break fans: a short guide to vorcha sentinel

Like fire? Hate air conditioners? Vorcha might just be the race for you.

The basics: 750 health, 250 shields. Very fast movement speed and dodges. Heavy melee is very fast and covers a lot of ground. Still not as fast as just shooting the dude, so use it sparingly. Passive health regeneration, which is absolutely amazing on higher difficulties.

Powers: Bloodlust: every kill you get allows you to stack bonuses, going up to three kills. Can be upgraded to either turn you into a melee damage beast or have ridiculous (+600%) health regeneration. Each kill on the stack lasts 15 seconds.

Flamer: it's a flamethrower, like it says on the tin. Fantastic damage to armour and health, suffers against shields and barriers. Cancelling it partway will let it recharge more quickly, so only use as much as you need. The burn damage it paints on targets is nothing to sneeze at, so if a lit enemy has a bar or two of health left, feel free to leave them and let them burn down on their own. Possibly the best trash-clearing power in the game. A single round of flaming (+the DoT) will kill basic mooks on any difficulty up to and including gold. Shreds bosses.

Cluster Grenades: the soldier gets carnage instead but carnage is terrible. If you have the VorSent, take him over the VorSol every time. A handful of biotic grenades that do massive damage. Can set off all types of power combo and actually has the damage output to pull that off. Note particularly that flamer will prime fire explosions and cluster grenades will set them off.

Preferred weapons: Reegar, preferably with a ULM acolyte as a backup. Even if you took the flamer shield upgrade, you're useless against shields and barriers.

Muffin's specc: http://narida.pytalhost.com/me3/classes/#34POLOA@0@0@A@@@0@0@0@0

You have two jobs: clearing trash and killing bosses. Anything in between is someone else's business. With the armour killing upgrade, two flamers will burn up a brute on gold. I haven't crunched the numbers but purely from observation, it's on par with a Piranha GInfiltrator for DPS. Your super-quick dodges make it easy to bug out, then re-engage, if something goes wrong. Cluster Grenades can be used for a quick damage-dump if plan B goes wrong.

You're not as squishy as the numbers would have you think but you're not a tank either. The health regeneration gives you the edge in protracted combat but it you're still not a krogan. Your speed and mobility and your biggest assets to staying alive. The regen is icing on that.

SurreptitiousMuffin fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Sep 20, 2012

Drunken_Pirate
May 7, 2007
The Reegar is great against shields and barriers, not sure why you need an acolyte as well.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Mostly because it's ridiculously light -with ULPM III, it has +10% weight- and when I get caught at range, it's nice to have something to do. The massive force behind its shots and the AoE let it stagger small groups of enemies long enough for you to escape or close.

Still a pain in the rear end to hit with but I'm getting used to it. It really needs to be patched so the shots detonate on the walls/floor instead of bouncing.

Drunken_Pirate
May 7, 2007

Mostly because it's ridiculously light -with ULPM III, it has +10% weight- and when I get caught at range, it's nice to have something to do. The massive force behind its shots and the AoE let it stagger small groups of enemies long enough for you to escape or close.

Still a pain in the rear end to hit with but I'm getting used to it. It really needs to be patched so the shots detonate on the walls/floor instead of bouncing.

Interesting. Personally I usually max out weapon damage and skip cluster grenades in favour of survivability fitness, so in my spec I get more out of the Reegar. Might try a flamethrower damage spec on my soldier.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
About the upcoming op: Why the hell has no one proposed a full Batarian Spike Squad yet? I'll mostly be poopsocking Borderlands 2 this weekend, but will be down for some Batarian action.
If you agree with me and don't have me friended yet, Origin ID is ChaosWombat.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Drunken_Pirate posted:

Interesting. Personally I usually max out weapon damage and skip cluster grenades in favour of survivability fitness, so in my spec I get more out of the Reegar. Might try a flamethrower damage spec on my soldier.

Yeah, I went Flamethrower on my Soldier, so I chose Clusters on my Sentinel. Didn't want to double up, and Carnage is kinda crap.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Got a full extraction earlier on Reapers Reactor Platinum. Just roving around the map loving everything up rather than farming. Awesome stuff, based on the success I'm assuming it was either crazy eastern european guys or goons.

Surprisingly, some people exist who are good at this game who haven't paid $10 to post on an internet forum.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

The New Black posted:

Well I was using it with a scope, and even on a Turian Soldier with maxed stability bonuses and in cover I would still only ever hit the first shot before the recoil made all the others spray over the target's head. That was what reminded me of the Incisor.

Speaking of lovely guns that no one should use, as a ME2 Locust nostalgic I'm glad to say the latest buff makes it at least a bit useable. On Human Engi I found that overload and a quick burst to the head (scoped) was actually a decent way to kill most trash mobs. Still useless against bosses but hey that's what incinerate is for.

Okay I can see it with the scope. It's the three shot burst and poo poo damage that really remind me of the Vindicator. Of course the Vindicator is at least light.

As for the Locust yeah it's getting to usable territory but it's still not great. It does work fairly well for applying disruptor ammo.

Paracelsus posted:

It's hilarious just how little N7 rank means in this game. Tonight I've seen one guy with an N7 of 300 running Harrier V and Talon V, and another with N7 of ~700 running a Carnifex II.

Yeah and a lot of the guys with high N7's are terrible because they got there by playing nothing but silver or missile glitching. These guys also tend to vastly overestimate their ability.

Drunken_Pirate posted:

If you're skipping cluster grenades you should probably just be using the soldier.

Butterfly Valley posted:

Surprisingly, some people exist who are good at this game who haven't paid $10 to post on an internet forum.

There are definitely some really good pubbies out there. Goons are almost always better then the average pubbie because they're actively discussing the game and getting advice and feedback. Obviously there are other places to do this on the internet but when you're recruiting from a discussion thread your getting a sample that's biased towards knowing what the gently caress they're doing.

Drunken_Pirate
May 7, 2007

Lagomorphic posted:

If you're skipping cluster grenades you should probably just be using the soldier.

The two are identical, it's a straight up choice between carnage or cluster grenades and I prefer the survivability from fitness.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
Yes but cluster grenades are good. So spec the soldier like this and the sentinel like this. That way you get to fun Vorcha builds to play with instead of the same one twice.

Or you could always do this with the soldier, and use long range guns. I haven't used the carnage spec much since the Krysae got nerfed but it works pretty well with other guns. Carnage isn't that great but it's pretty spammable and works at longer ranges.

Drunken_Pirate
May 7, 2007
I see what you mean, might give it a go if I ever get bored of running around melting things into various puddles.

Has anyone had connectivity problems over the last day (on PC)? I'm constantly losing my connection to Origin and most of todays games have been incredibly laggy. Although it's hilarious to see a krogan bouncing up and down along a corridor, I didn't so much appreciate my cloaked claymore shots randomly not doing any damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The New Black
Oct 1, 2006

Had it, lost it.

Lagomorphic posted:

Or you could always do this with the soldier, and use long range guns. I haven't used the carnage spec much since the Krysae got nerfed but it works pretty well with other guns. Carnage isn't that great but it's pretty spammable and works at longer ranges.

I do this, on my Soldier I skip Flamer entirely and go full passive, still go for max health/regen and take Disruptor Ammo with Carnage spam to tech burst. As you say the Krysae used to be awesome for that build but now it's basically useless. These days Indra works okay, and for a while I used the Particle Rifle but it's a bit heavy plus you have to break the multiplier to fire Carnage. Only difference I have is Carnage on area for easier combos.

Of course, it's nothing like as effective as my Reegar/Flamer Sent but it's a very different playstyle and pretty fun.

E: oh I accepted your xbl request, will definitely be going for the squad goal this weekend, though be advised I mostly play UK afternoons and evenings, which may not be terribly useful.

The New Black fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Sep 20, 2012

• Locked thread