Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER
For those that don't like the demo: turn the hud off, set main camera to 1, and set aiming camera to 3. That may sound too low, but it felt like the default scheme from RE5 to me. Play each segment slowly and deliberately. Don't run everywhere. I actually found a shotgun in Jake's chapter! I had a lot more fun with the game doing this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I noticed a really nice touch with some of the zombies in Leon's scenario. If you see the ones with knives or axes in their body, you can perform a special execution where you take the knife out of them and kill them with it.

The other thing I noticed is how little that zombies react to your gunfire. I'm not sure if it's because they're actually zombies, as opposed to the hybrids of 4 & 5, or it's just the programming that's off. Shooting them in the legs isn't as viable as it use to be.

And the final thing that bugged me was seeing all these zombies around that are obviously going to jump back on you when you're making your way back through the room. You would think that Leon would have the sense to just pop them in the head while passing them just to make sure, you know, after dealing with zombies for over 10 years.

VIRGIN HEAT
May 1, 2009

I can't get on with the demo for this at all. I've only played as Leon and Chris but it's like Capcom have glued in things they think Western gamers love in a ham-fisted way. Nonsensical dual-welding, bad cover system, awkwardly tripping over zombies on the floor, difficult to see QTEs - it really feels like they didn't even bother testing the stuff. The camera's too close and the menu is a confusing mess as well. I had no preconceptions about this and I'm not interested in it now.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Anyone having trouble seeing anything on the PS3? Even turning the gamma settings all the way up, enemies are almost invisible in some areas.

Flameingblack posted:

The other thing I noticed is how little that zombies react to your gunfire. I'm not sure if it's because they're actually zombies, as opposed to the hybrids of 4 & 5, or it's just the programming that's off. Shooting them in the legs isn't as viable as it use to be.
That's because your shots tear a hole through them. You can actually see through them if you shoot them in the torso. The J'avo, on the other hand, react like the enemies in RE4 and 5. I suppose they did this to make the zombies more difficult to deal with.

quote:

Nonsensical dual-welding
Dual wielding lets you fire six quickshots in a row, so at least it serves a purpose. Agree about the stumbling. It's just annoying.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
I don't get the stumbling thing when the camera is so close to you and always at such a height that you're never ever going to see the floor anyway. I only extensively played Leon's part but it feels like playing Left 4 Dead with the shittiest thirdperson camera script ever.

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER
So I've been replaying the demo over and over and seem to be enjoying it and discovering new things. Try using the quick shot(L+R at the same time), its bad rear end as gently caress and changes depending on the weapon you have. You can also do a "home run slide" by aiming while in the middle of a dash. You can also do a 180 turn as you slide if you pull back on the left stick right as you perform the home run slide.

Also play as alternate characters in the same scenarios, they have alternate weapons and melee attacks. Helena or whatever her name is in Leon's scenario has a hydra shotgun!

Seriously, turn the lovely HUD off. I don't see any reason to have it, you can just press L2/LB to check your status and where you need to go if you need to. The way point and cross-hairs make the game look like crap.

Ausmund fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Sep 20, 2012

Steinuh
Nov 17, 2011

I saw resident evil retribution and it was one of the best in the series. The video game characters are really forced in the movie. I really hate Michelle Rodriguez in any film she has a part in. The whole movie really had me going:psyduck:

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

AASman posted:

Helena or whatever her name is in Leon's scenario has a hydra shotgun!

Seriously, turn the lovely HUD off. I don't see any reason to have it, you can just press L2/LB to check your status and where you need to go if you need to. The way point and cross-hairs make the game look like crap.

You can really see the whole "bullets go through Leon's zombies" with the shotgun as half the time you shoot a zombie point black in the chest...it does nothing. It's very disappointing and it only holds 3 shots before a fairly lengthy reload. I never found the shotgun during Jake's demo chapter though, and that's just as well since I'm itchin' to play the demo already.

Count me in the like camp. I understand how the new "actiony" controls can turn a lot of the older series fans off but honestly it's just the gameplay progression evolution from 4 to 5 to that 60 dollar combat alpha build ORC to this. I, on the subject of old school, LOVE how completely vicious zombies can be up close, but I hate how there's zombie corpses that come back up that are invincible scenery until you do something or get past a point.

And dual wielding is legit damnit, I don't know how else to work my way through the alarm corridor in Leon's campaign in single player. The AI just does NOTHING for a good 30 seconds in that spot. Also the reload animation for it is way badass classic RE4 Leon and I find the game is back to being tongue in cheek with the almostliterallyrippedoff from call of duty NOBODY GETS LEFT BEHIND ON REDFIELD'S WATCH speech. Come on, there's no way there were trying to play that off seriously.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

But will RE6 have two guys watching security cameras located in places there shouldn't be security cameras? That's the best part of 0 and I wish it happened more.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Policenaut posted:

Whoa, that's weird. I just finished Leon's scenario and my head feels totally dizzy. I have no idea why that is and it pisses me off. Anyway I only tried his tonight and I thought it was pretty cool, the inventory screen is totally baffling though and took awhile to figure out.

I think it's because this game has a smaller field of view than RE4/5 did. Can anyone confirm? Might be my imagination but everything feels really cramped.

Padgjj
Jan 4, 2008
Never trouble trouble 'til trouble troubles you

Neo Rasa posted:

I think it's because this game has a smaller field of view than RE4/5 did. Can anyone confirm? Might be my imagination but everything feels really cramped.

It's not just you, the recommendation above, to slow down the camera and aiming settings considerably, helped for sure. The tightness of the camera makes it feel a lot more awkward than in most shooters I've played recently, including the previous two numbered games in the series.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
I just had fun with my friend playing the demo. I think people are playing too cautiously and that's what's souring them. Cover? What cover? We're tumbling to the ground and rolling along the floor as far through the level as we can, practicing our kung-fu on lone zombies, and running from the big monster while going "HOW DO WE KILL THIS THING WITH THE BIG GLOWING WEAK POINT OHHHH NOOOOO :haw:"

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

OxMan posted:

You can really see the whole "bullets go through Leon's zombies" with the shotgun as half the time you shoot a zombie point black in the chest...it does nothing. It's very disappointing and it only holds 3 shots before a fairly lengthy reload. I never found the shotgun during Jake's demo chapter though, and that's just as well since I'm itchin' to play the demo already.

Count me in the like camp. I understand how the new "actiony" controls can turn a lot of the older series fans off but honestly it's just the gameplay progression evolution from 4 to 5 to that 60 dollar combat alpha build ORC to this. I, on the subject of old school, LOVE how completely vicious zombies can be up close, but I hate how there's zombie corpses that come back up that are invincible scenery until you do something or get past a point.

And dual wielding is legit damnit, I don't know how else to work my way through the alarm corridor in Leon's campaign in single player. The AI just does NOTHING for a good 30 seconds in that spot. Also the reload animation for it is way badass classic RE4 Leon and I find the game is back to being tongue in cheek with the almostliterallyrippedoff from call of duty NOBODY GETS LEFT BEHIND ON REDFIELD'S WATCH speech. Come on, there's no way there were trying to play that off seriously.

Leon's "poo poo." after wrecking their getaway cop car was my personal favorite. It's just said so matter-of-factly in what should be a very tense moment.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

1redflag posted:

Leon's "poo poo." after wrecking their getaway cop car was my personal favorite. It's just said so matter-of-factly in what should be a very tense moment.

I think it's canon at this point that Leon is actually a terrible driver.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Thanks for the tips about the camera and aiming speed, guys. I replayed Leon's scenario with aiming set to 3, ratcheted camera down to 1, and changed from laser sight to crosshairs. It felt a lot closer to RE4/5 and I don't feel violently ill like I do when I play Wiimote/PS Move-based rail shooters anymore :toot: I feel a little weird but I imagine that's from when I had the camera set to 3 before going all-in on 1. I can't believe the default is like 6 :gonk:

Do the zombies just keep spawning in at the finale of Leon's portion? Because this time around I was determined to kill everyone like in RE5 when Chris and Sheva are fleeing from the Majini in the beginning but it appeared to have no end.

1redflag posted:

For some reason I just started laughing when he said that. It's just perfect.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Drakenel posted:

I think it's canon at this point that Leon is actually a terrible driver.

Not on a jet-ski; that motherfucker can ride.

Steinuh
Nov 17, 2011

I feel like the lighting is pretty bad, hopefully its something they fixed.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

1redflag posted:

Not on a jet-ski; that motherfucker can ride.

Leon just cannot handle cop cars. Jetskis, motorcycles, mine carts, tanks? No sweat. But once he's behind a cop car it is straight into the nearest pole. RPD only ever hired him because their police chief was too busy dusting out his rape dungeon to notice that Leon barreled into a parade float during his police academy driving exam.

spiff_dedalus
Jul 15, 2004
The best-laid plans of mice and men go oft awry.
The brightness in Leon's section of the demo really threw me off. I took it from 20 all the way down to 0, the six was still plenty visible, but the game looked like I was playing inside of a dark closet. Not only enemies but the actual physical boundaries of the rooms were difficult to see.

I was feeling ambivalent about the gameplay after my first playthrough of the three scenarios (didn't even finish Jake's, because I wasn't really getting it yet, I guess). I tried it again earlier though, and it paired me up with some random guy on Xbox Live, and I ended up enjoying it a lot more. Having an actual partner made the enemies more manageable, and using dodge kept me from spending the entire demo getting knocked on my rear end.

One thing that amuses me about the RE series is how the characters have all gone from being ridiculously young when they are introduced to being relatively old as a result of the series timeline. Sherry was 12 in Resident Evil 2, and now she's a few years older than Jill was in the first Resident Evil. Chris is 40 now. :v:

spiff_dedalus fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Sep 21, 2012

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I enjoyed the demo a lot. I felt like Leon's had the right balance of "zombie killing" and "atmosphere building" and that Jake's was the perfect level of "wrecking poo poo" that I hoped his stuff would be. Chris' stuff I don't have much of an opinion of though, I mean I kind of enjoyed it because I went nuts and blew open every J'avo's head and busted them with melee a lot, but maybe I'm doing it wrong.

Did anyone else feel like Jake's level was really dark? It was really difficult for me to figure out my surroundings half of the time.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
The camera needs some serious working, when you get it to work like RE4/5 camera its great, when its like in the Leon demo where its doing its own thing is suuuuuuucks.
I'm gonna guess Leon's campaign is going to be worse, Chris and Jake's seem to take advantage of the new controls and melee options; which are awesome.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Honest Thief posted:

The camera needs some serious working, when you get it to work like RE4/5 camera its great, when its like in the Leon demo where its doing its own thing is suuuuuuucks.
I'm gonna guess Leon's campaign is going to be worse, Chris and Jake's seem to take advantage of the new controls and melee options; which are awesome.
I prefer the camera on RE4 over anything. I don't need to spin the camera around 360 degrees.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Is it wrong to want Resident Evil 6 to end on a cliffhanger? The teams meet up and fight the final Umbrella monster when a loving dinosaur hopped up on the T jumps through a window and then BAM Dino Crisis 4 spins right out of Resident Evil.

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

This has probably been asked in this thread before, but do the original RE games hold up now (original meaning those in the first post of the thread)? I'm guessing that the control scheme is dated and would piss some people off. I never played them as a kid, I never really started RE 4 but I played a lot of RE5 co-op.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
I think the first two do, you might need some getting used to the control scheme but the games were very thoughtly designed with the controls in mind so the frustration of the tank movement is lessened.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

RoryGilmore posted:

This has probably been asked in this thread before, but do the original RE games hold up now (original meaning those in the first post of the thread)? I'm guessing that the control scheme is dated and would piss some people off. I never played them as a kid, I never really started RE 4 but I played a lot of RE5 co-op.

How original? I'm working on replaying through them (though I'm still just on 0 because of work/school) and the controls and inventory management in 0 is actively fighting me every step of the way.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Len posted:

Is it wrong to want Resident Evil 6 to end on a cliffhanger? The teams meet up and fight the final Umbrella monster when a loving dinosaur hopped up on the T jumps through a window and then BAM Dino Crisis 4 spins right out of Resident Evil.

Every survival horror game taking place in the same universe is already canon so I'm not sure if this'd be much of a twist. Or maybe I just really want a game about zombie dinosaurs setting things on fire with their minds on an ancient Indian burial ground.

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

Honest Thief posted:

I think the first two do, you might need some getting used to the control scheme but the games were very thoughtly designed with the controls in mind so the frustration of the tank movement is lessened.

If it's just a matter of getting used to it and not being overly clunky and not fun then I suppose it should be fine.

Len posted:

How original? I'm working on replaying through them (though I'm still just on 0 because of work/school) and the controls and inventory management in 0 is actively fighting me every step of the way.

Starting with 1 (the re-done version, not the original original) and working on from there.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

RoryGilmore posted:

If it's just a matter of getting used to it and not being overly clunky and not fun then I suppose it should be fine.

Starting with 1 (the re-done version, not the original original) and working on from there.

I can't vouch for the rest of them just yet. But 0 is painful gameplay wise. The cutscenes are probably the best in the entire series and even beat out punching a boulder on the goofy scale though.

Edit: You only get 12 inventory slots and you have to pick between things like guns/ammo for both characters or your key items. I just had to dedicate five slots to key items. The shotgun takes 2. The grenade launcher takes 2. It's a mess.

Is there a map for Raccoon City and the surrounding countryside somewhere? The geography just doesn't make sense in my mind.

Len fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Sep 21, 2012

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

Len posted:

I can't vouch for the rest of them just yet. But 0 is painful gameplay wise. The cutscenes are probably the best in the entire series and even beat out punching a boulder on the goofy scale though.

Edit: You only get 12 inventory slots and you have to pick between things like guns/ammo for both characters or your key items. I just had to dedicate five slots to key items. The shotgun takes 2. The grenade launcher takes 2. It's a mess.

Is there a map for Raccoon City and the surrounding countryside somewhere? The geography just doesn't make sense in my mind.

SolidRed
Jan 23, 2008
and if you didn't know.... NOW YOU KNOW - Christian Cage

RoryGilmore posted:

Resident Evil 1 is extremely dated and hard. I can replay it but even with nostalgia it's pretty irritating. REmake is amazing and RE 2, 3 and RE:CV all stand up to this day. Playing them in order would be ideal but if I was you I would play RE4, REmake and then whichever order you want to play the last three in.

Coming from RE5 you'll notice a few of the weaker elements of the RE4 engine that were improved in RE5 and the controls being switched will annoy the hell out of you for the first hour or so but the story in that game is much better and you will get hooked.

SolidRed fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Sep 22, 2012

Steinuh
Nov 17, 2011

If you want an Abridged version play Darkside Chronicles and Umbrella Chronicles. But nothing beats the whole game.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

SolidRed posted:

Resident Evil 1 is extremely dated and hard. I can replay it but even with nostalgia it's pretty irritating. REmake is amazing and RE 2, 3 and RE:CV all stand up to this day.

Funny, I can beat RE1 over and over but I've never been able to finish REmake. I guess knowing enemy placement helps a lot. Also, gently caress Crimson Heads.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
I love how huge this game seems: 3 6-8 hour campaigns with an unlockable 2-4 hour extra campaign, partners that play differently and have unique areas, various multiplayer modes with a dedicated Team Fortress style reward system...even if there is a lot of a DLC, I actually feel like I'm getting a lot for my money.

Edit: And holy poo poo, Capcom is releasing free DLC for Dragon's Dogma. Just a "hardcore" difficulty and a "speedrun" mode, but still--maybe they're turning things around!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

That musta been before RE0 though with it's mansion that's over the hill from the original mansion and it's cable car that ties it into bits from RE2.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Len posted:

That musta been before RE0 though with it's mansion that's over the hill from the original mansion and it's cable car that ties it into bits from RE2.

Zero is such a dumb game, but I kinda love the fact that there's a second top secret mansion lab in Raccoon forest, and that's it's like ten minutes away from the first top secret mansion lab. Oh, Resident Evil :allears:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Len posted:

RE0's world is basically pan-dimensional, don't try to figure out its geography if you value your sanity.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Teen Hero Greg posted:

RE0's world is basically pan-dimensional, don't try to figure out its geography if you value your sanity.

Yeah I just forced myself through a little more and you take a cable car from an old church to the RE2 lab which connects directly to the 0 mansion. I give up.

Catpain Blackudder
Jul 25, 2009

Cluck, cluck, gibber, gibber, my old man's a mushroom, et cetera.
Wild theory time!

I've heard from a few people now that Jakes little whistle in the cutscene at the beginning of his demo apparently sounds like the music box theme from Code Veronica and naturally people are saying Jake is actually Steve, based on weskers speech at the end of CV about taking Steves body and Jake appearing out of nowhere

Jakes Whistle

Music Box theme

Personally I can't hear it but i'm terrible with music

also found you can break that odd locker in jakes campaign by having your partner as Sherry and hitting you out of it with the stun rod when you get in, eventually it just stops you getting in at all.

Catpain Blackudder fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Sep 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

So on the subject of the stun rod, is there any reliable way of taking on the spike shooting guys in with it? Any time I get in melee range (which isn't hard, by the way, dodging with the melee rod equipped makes you do a little juke to the side) it starts puffing smoke and spewing acid. It's hard to reliably stun it with a running melee attack especially as it typically acid puffs or smokes right when I do it.

Also, maybe because I'm coming from this straight out of Dark Souls, is anyone else using the join function to join other people's games? I find it fun to let newbies experience stuff and helping them out along the way (like killing the scripted zombies that jump on them in Leon's campaign) and competing with more experienced people in who can do the cool stuff. I've gotten into some great stunrod/melee combos with people that know what they're doing, it's great fun bouncing them back and forth between you and seeing how many hits you can get off before they expire.

Is it Oct. 2nd yet?