Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

From what I understood in the first message they left before I called them back, they were shipped yesterday :(. I guess they were supposed to arrive today, but they went to the wrong city. I'm crosing my fingers they won't get too stressed out that they'll die on me, as soon as I get them home I'm giving them water and let themcalm down in the crate/brooder I prepared for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Chido posted:

From what I understood in the first message they left before I called them back, they were shipped yesterday :(. I guess they were supposed to arrive today, but they went to the wrong city. I'm crosing my fingers they won't get too stressed out that they'll die on me, as soon as I get them home I'm giving them water and let themcalm down in the crate/brooder I prepared for them.

Ugh. I hope the chicks will be okay. After all, they don't need food/water for three days after hatching but all that traveling around might be rough on the little guys.

Have you got a broody hen ready to take care of them if everything goes okay?

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

I don't mean to put a damper on things, but unfortunately today while my husband and I were at work (and I went in late and came home earlier than usual..) something got my little seabright bantam..

There was a small section of cover on their run that had not been covered with wire yet because my husband had to keep that part open to finish the roof. It has been that way for about two weeks, and he just finished the roof on the coop about 4/5 days ago. He didn't cover the run immediately though...He obviously feels horrible enough and did it as soon as he heard what happened. But, nothing we can do now... :(

This picture was taken about two weeks ago..she was in the middle there:

I'm going to miss her spunky little personality so much.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Greycious posted:

I don't mean to put a damper on things, but unfortunately today while my husband and I were at work (and I went in late and came home earlier than usual..) something got my little seabright bantam..

I'm going to miss her spunky little personality so much.

Sorry about the loss of your Sebright. Those are one of my favorite breeds.

You better keep a close eye out for a while because whatever killed your chicken IS definitely coming back. Predators love easy pickings. :(

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Inveigle posted:

Sorry about the loss of your Sebright. Those are one of my favorite breeds.

You better keep a close eye out for a while because whatever killed your chicken IS definitely coming back. Predators love easy pickings. :(

Yeah, live traps are going out tonight. Whatever gets in is going to be sorry (well, they will find themselves many miles from home.)

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Greycious posted:

Yeah, live traps are going out tonight. Whatever gets in is going to be sorry (well, they will find themselves many miles from home.)

Make sure that's legal in your area. In some places you can get fined for releasing wildlife more than a certain distance from where it was trapped.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

I called the usps office and they don't deliver, so I gotta go pick the chicks. They'll call me when the box arrives, but no calls yet :ohdear:

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Chido posted:

I called the usps office and they don't deliver, so I gotta go pick the chicks. They'll call me when the box arrives, but no calls yet :ohdear:

Do they know that it contains live animals? Otherwise they might be inclined to just ignore it.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Chido posted:

Chido, do you know what local postal station deals with your home mail? You could try going over to the station (they tend to close at 5 pm) and see if your chicks are there (you could probably HEAR them cheeping).

Was there tracking on the package? The USPS web site has gotten better at tracking but many times a package isn't scanned very quickly when it arrives at a station.

Inveigle fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Sep 19, 2012

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Went to the post office, they didn't get them. MPC doesn't give you a tracking number, but when I called back to the office in denver, the woman who answered the phone confirmed the chicks flew to LA this morning. It seems that the package might have arrived a bit late to be processed and sent out this afternoon, so they didn't get the package at the office. I hope they call me tomorrow morning. I really hope the chicks are still ok.

I tried calling MPC when I got back home from the post office but their office was closed. Not giving out a tracking number is dumb :mad:

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Chido posted:

I tried calling MPC when I got back home from the post office but their office was closed. Not giving out a tracking number is dumb :mad:

Tsk! This is so annoying! It's standard these days to email people tracking numbers as soon as something you ordered ships.

It's nice though that the woman in Denver remembered seeing the box with the chicks. Baby chicks must really stand out (probably the cheeping). That's good though, sounds like they were fine in Denver. The chicks will probably be at your post office in the morning.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Chido, often the PO will call you at any hour to come and get the chicks--there are people working behind the scenes, not just when the front is open to the public. So be ready for the call whenever it comes. They are usually really good about calling right away when chicks arrive. :)

I'd give the chicks some unflavored Pedialyte to drink for the first 24 hours, it'll boost their electrolytes (stressed or sick birds benefit from an electrolyte boost). You can get it at the grocery store in the baby aisle or make your own:

Be SURE to keep it refrigerated and to make a fresh batch every 12 hours. Offer it in place of regular drinking water.

Mix together until all dry ingredients are dissolved:
1/2 Qt. Water
1 tsp. Sugar
1/4 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp. Baking Soda

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

I asked two different employees (one sent me to talk to another), and because I wasn't given a tracking number, all they could to was check if they had th box, and they didn't. They told me the afternoon mail had already come and been processed, so they weren't going to get anything else until tomorrow :(. I still hope they get a truck today or they get I really early tomorrow, I left them both my home and cell phone numbers so they call me right away.

I'll ask my BiL to buy me a botle of pedialyte on his way home tonight.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Just wanted to share some more pictures of my bantam when she was still a much smaller thing. The flock isn't going to be the same without her :\

I've gotten so use to double-checking to make sure she is there because she's always been hiding behind the standard hens. I looked and looked and looked for her when I got home, just assuming she MUST be hiding behind something, or someone, or nearby...

This blows. Losing a pet chicken sucks.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Greycious posted:

I've gotten so use to double-checking to make sure she is there because she's always been hiding behind the standard hens. I looked and looked and looked for her when I got home, just assuming she MUST be hiding behind something, or someone, or nearby...

This blows. Losing a pet chicken sucks.

:sympathy: I know, she was such a cute chick.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small
GREYCIOUS - awwww so sorry about the baby chick. :sympathy:

Her attitude in the pictures is so adorable!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Went out to put the chickens to bed last night and couldn't find Flora anywhere. Eventually, after a lot of searching, I found her jammed upsidown behind the hen house. She seems fine though. Guess she tried to follow the others up onto the fence to roost (they insist on sleeping outside the house so I have to put them in every night :v:) and fell. Stupid bird.

Also ordered 50 bags of gravel, they'll arrive next Tuesday!

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Nettle Soup posted:

Went out to put the chickens to bed last night and couldn't find Flora anywhere. Eventually, after a lot of searching, I found her jammed upsidown behind the hen house. She seems fine though. Guess she tried to follow the others up onto the fence to roost (they insist on sleeping outside the house so I have to put them in every night :v:) and fell. Stupid bird.

Also ordered 50 bags of gravel, they'll arrive next Tuesday!

Jeez Nettle, I'm glad to hear Flora is okay. There has NOT been a lot of good news here lately! I'm excited to see any new pictures of your chickies! :)

Pardalis
Dec 26, 2008

The Amazing Dreadheaded Chameleon Keeper
I finally got my cockatiel/button quail cage all set up and thought you chicken folks might like a photo of the whole mess. The buttons are on the bottom and the tiels have the penthouse. All my quail seem pretty comfortable and have been cautiously accepting mealworms from hand. No eggs from them yet, but my incubator is filled with what I bought with my birds and has been cooking for over a week now. Barring catastrophic events, I should have eggs hatching next Friday or so. :3:

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

PARDALIS

Quite a set up and making use of space!

Do the birds in the penthouse visit with the basement dwellers?

Do you know if button quail are altricial or precocial?

Pardalis
Dec 26, 2008

The Amazing Dreadheaded Chameleon Keeper
The cockatiels don't go out of their way to mess with the buttons but they do sometimes launch off the cage and have to climb back up the side. All of my birds are pretty derp and haven't seemed to notice each other at all, tbh.

Button chicks are precocial and about the size of a bumblebee when they hatch. I can't wait! :3: They only need a brooder for a few weeks and are considered mature at around week 6. One thing I really like about these little jerks is that they lay year round if you give them an appropriate photoperiod. A healthy hen will lay nearly daily! I plan to give mine rest periods of lower light, natural nesting opportunity once my egg supply is built up, and lots of dietary supplementation to keep them in perfect condition.

Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

judge not, lest ye be judged.
One of my Red Stars laid this earlier today. It's certainly a record for us. I wonder if she is sore?

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Poor chicken indeed! :)

I remember Velvet Sparrow getting a large egg like this. I think it had double shells or something odd about it. Let us know if this egg was something strange!

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Bantaras posted:

One of my Red Stars laid this earlier today. It's certainly a record for us. I wonder if she is sore?

Someone is bucking for Employee of the Month...

heh, 'bucking'...:keke:

Yeah, one of my hens laid a double shelled egg last year, it was hilarious.

Here's what was inside:

Normal egg in all other respects, it just got a double coat of eggshell.

Nettle, I remember when one of my baby chicks got stuck upside down, jammed behind the brooder box one day while we were gone. It was scary, but she turned out OK.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Nettle Soup posted:

Went out to put the chickens to bed last night and couldn't find Flora anywhere. Eventually, after a lot of searching, I found her jammed upside down behind the hen house. She seems fine though.
Silly chicken indeed, but glad she's OK though.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Well finally got the baby chicks, two didn't make it, and one is wobbly but finally eating on her own. The buff orpington and australorp were barely breathing, and despite giving them water with a dropper and putting them under a lamp, they died :(. The buff brahma and the silver laced wyandotte are alive, the brahma seems fine and the other is walking on her own and ate some starter crumble mush I made. Sigh

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Poor little buggers. :( You gonna shout at the hatchery?

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Chido posted:

Well finally got the baby chicks, two didn't make it, and one is wobbly but finally eating on her own. The buff orpington and australorp were barely breathing, and despite giving them water with a dropper and putting them under a lamp, they died :(. The buff brahma and the silver laced wyandotte are alive, the brahma seems fine and the other is walking on her own and ate some starter crumble mush I made. Sigh

Grrr! Dammit! There's a good chance the two survivors may die anyway. You should make Backyard Chickens refund your ENTIRE order, including shipping. They can always file against the USPS since the package was probably insured and it was the post office's fault the package was waylaid (also, the USPS should have guaranteed the shipping anyway so no doubt they will return the shipping cost to Backyard Chickens). Or you could make Backyard Chickens ship you four more chicks right away. I'm worried you may end up with one solitary chick and it will get lonely. :(

It makes me angry to think that the two chicks that died suffered. :mad:

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Well the two that survived seem to be getting stronger, and I already called MPC and they are giving me back half of what I paid. The man on the phone told me to call again if any other chick dies in the following days so I get my money back. I really hope they don't die, and I wish somebody in the post office had opened the box and given them water at least :(. I know they can't, but that would've helped. If only one chick survives, I'll go check the feed store and see what chicks they have. I bought these ones in MPC because they just wouldn't sell these breeds in the feed store.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Get them to give you all your money back, seriously, they hosed up, not you. That's not acceptable. Say they're going to cause you vets bills and medicine and emotional trauma.

Maybe you should hatch your own next time...

V I meant eggs off ebay, at least they're not going to suffer and die if things gently caress up. :(

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Sep 20, 2012

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Nettle Soup posted:

Get them to give you all your money back, seriously, they hosed up, not you. That's not acceptable. Say they're going to cause you vets bills and medicine and emotional trauma.

Maybe you should hatch your own next time...

Seriously. They should just refund the entire order because you have to spend your time (and money) trying to nurse the two sick chicks back to health. I'd just tell them all the chicks had died and get a full refund. Or make them ship you some replacement chicks right away. Terrible way to do business, IMO. :mad:

I'm sure that Roostroyer would love to have some of his own babies running around, but I think that Chido wanted to get some more exotic breeds in her collection (instead of mutt chicken-hos from the neighborhood). ;)

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Put the angry, broody, ghetto hens on the phone so they can scream at the dude and threaten to come wreck up his place if you don't get your money back.

:( But in all seriousness, I'm sorry Chido. And to everybody else in the thread who's lost chickens lately.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Well the ones who hosed up was the post office, and MPC did offer to send me more chicks. The only thing that MPC did wrong is not giving me a tracking number, but they did ship them to the right address, USPS sent them astray. MPC is refunding me 50% of what I paid including the shipment fee, and the guy was very nice about it. He offered also to actually redo the whole order, but I wouldn't have space to house 6 extra chickens. If only one chick survives, I'll get her a sister from the feed store.

I asked my BiL and we decided to just keep these two, and I'm ok with getting a refund for the ones that died. Right now I'm just concerned about these chicks. I start school today so my nieces will have to take care of them as I can't miss the first day of school. If I do I might get dropped off the class, :(. Also another reason I wanted to get these chicks was that I wanted large breeds, and the colors/breeds I want weren't available in the feed store. Besides, my nieces had a hard time understanding that if we had kept Roo's babies, he would've sat on his own daughters, and that grossed them out a bit XD.

Chido fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Sep 20, 2012

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Good luck with your classes, Chido! :)

Hopefully the two chicks will both pull through and will be able to keep each other company. I am glad your nieces will be able to care for the chicks. So, that means heat lamp and brooder box for now? not broody hen-ho?

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Sorry to hear the Chido. I was wondering how things were turning out but I was afraid to ask. I would also ask for a full refund, especially since it sounds like their error. They can’t undo the mistake, but they should at least make you whole financially. I personally had good luck with MPC and I think they are a good company, so I think this is an exception, but when the exception happens to you, it is still painful.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

From what I recall back when I used to sell a lot of stuff on eBay, Denver was one of the WORST hubs in the USPS system. The Denver hub is like the Bermuda Triangle for packages.

One package I mailed went through Denver and then was misdirected up to Seattle where it sat for two weeks and then FINALLY made it down to San Diego. I knew the package was in Seattle (due to the tracking/insurance info) but could NEVER get anyone in Seattle to answer the phone to prod the package out of there. Ridiculous! But still, our postal system is a lot better than a lot of other countries.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Well the brahma looks fine and has been eating, drinking, running around, and falling asleep while doing all of the above with no problems. The wyandotte is still rather weak, but it's been eating a bit and does walk around. I keep giving her a bit of the sugar/salt/baking soda mix every few minutes to help her get hydrated slowly. Cross your fingers both make it.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Chido posted:

Well the brahma looks fine and has been eating, drinking, running around, and falling asleep while doing all of the above with no problems. The wyandotte is still rather weak, but it's been eating a bit and does walk around. I keep giving her a bit of the sugar/salt/baking soda mix every few minutes to help her get hydrated slowly. Cross your fingers both make it.
Finger's crossed here in the UK.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Inveigle posted:

From what I recall back when I used to sell a lot of stuff on eBay, Denver was one of the WORST hubs in the USPS system. The Denver hub is like the Bermuda Triangle for packages.

One package I mailed went through Denver and then was misdirected up to Seattle where it sat for two weeks and then FINALLY made it down to San Diego. I knew the package was in Seattle (due to the tracking/insurance info) but could NEVER get anyone in Seattle to answer the phone to prod the package out of there. Ridiculous! But still, our postal system is a lot better than a lot of other countries.
I know Denver is a Bermuda triangle for truckers because so much goes in and so little comes out. Truckers hate it because it's hard to get a cargo you can take out of there, and a lot of them end up taking empty loads anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Well drat the PO all to Hell anyway. :( I'd for sure write a nasty letter to the postmaster there letting him know they killed baby chicks.

I don't know what else you could be doing for the survivors that you aren't already doing...good luck!